Start by marking “How to Look for a Lost Dog” as Want to Read:
How to Look for a Lost Dog

How to Look for a Lost Dog

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  11,113 Ratings  ·  2,060 Reviews
11-year-old Rose is autistic and struggles to understand her classmates. But when her father gives her a stray dog, which she names Rain, the dog becomes her best friend, her anchor in a confusing world. So when Rain goes missing during a storm, Rose refuses to stop looking for her…

A touching story from the bestselling author of The Babysitters Club.
Published January 1st 2016 by Usborne Publishing (first published October 7th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about How to Look for a Lost Dog, please sign up.

Gratia Depends on the 10 yr. old.
It's fantastic book, I highly recommend.
Depends on the 10 yr. old.
It's fantastic book, I highly recommend.
“It's not our job to toughen our children up to face a cruel and heartless world. It's our job to raise children who will make the world a little less cruel and heartless.”
― L.R. Knost(less)
Anna It may be to do with the grammar mistake?
The author bases her main character on personality glitches like being obsessed with homonyms.
Homonyms are…more
It may be to do with the grammar mistake?
Homonyms are words that are spelled the same but have different meanings. Rose is a homonym. Homophones are words that are pronounced the same but have different spellings and different meanings. Rain and reign are homophones..(less)

May
Feb 08, 2016 May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: estantería
Una niña llamada Rose es una novela especial, cercana, directa y con una protagonista que nos roba el corazón.
Rose es una niña que tiene Asperger, por lo que su forma de ver el mundo es algo diferente. Eso la lleva a ser una protagonista con una voz fuerte y diferente.
Me ha resultado una novela muy entrañable y cercana y me ha encantado la puma de la autora. Trata muy bien el tema del Asperger, y nos lo acerca para que lo entendamos a la perfección.
Es un síndrome que me toca de cerca y lo cierto
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
3.5 stars.

Review originally posted at Mostly YA Lit

Check out my expectations of Rain Reign before reading!

A compelling character study of a girl with high-functioning autism, Rain Reign is a middle-grade novel with a deceptively simple writing style. When I first started the novel, I immediately thought it might be a little too young for me. Middle-grade readers might feel the same, but teachers/parents/librarians should encourage kids to stick with this one: Rose, the narrator and protagonis
Snotchocheez
I find myself sucked in to novels (often with first-person narration) of the travails of a high-functioning autistic kid, hoping the author will "get it right", only to be ultimately underwhelmed by gimmickry, or gooey feel-good-ery.

Rain Reign, a (presumably) YA novel featuring 10 year-old fifth grader Rose Howard from rural New York with a obsessive fascination for homonyms (not homophones, there is a difference!), a penchant for over-strict adherence to the rules, and a dog named Rain (yep, a
Susan Crowe
How in the world do (due, dew) you (ewe) even rate or (oar) review a book like this??? I can't even put the emotions I am feeling right (write, rite) now into words. My head hurts right now from crying. READ THIS!!!!!
Juan Vorágine
Jul 22, 2016 Juan Vorágine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: julio-16
Una historia preciosa donde se nos adentra un poco y de forma muy cuidadosa en el Síndrome de Asperger. Rose es una protagonista única y dulce, y se enamorará de su pequeña perra en cuanto la vea por primera vez.

Reseña completa: http://voragineinterna.blogspot.com.e...
Kristen
May 09, 2015 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet, sad story told from the point of a mildly autistic girl who is misunderstood, tries every day to be who others want her to be, and loves her dog. A great narrative voice.
Christy (TheReaderBee)

I was pretty excited to read Ann M. Martin’s Rain Reign. Martin’s The Baby-sitters Club books were a huge part of my childhood, I adored those books, but I hadn’t read anything by her since. I’m glad to have now changed that. I adored this book SO much.

Rose is such an amazing, complex character. She has Aspergers syndrome, as well as an obsession with homonyms and prime numbers. She explains all of this to us as we read the story, which is from her point of view. The relationship that Rose has w
Angela
Aug 23, 2014 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
If you were thinking, "Oh, I know Ann Martin. I've read her dog stories before. I don't need to read this one." Reconsider. This book is a great reminder why Ann Martin is a legend. Here she tackles high-functioning autism, a struggling parent, a thoughtful uncle and, of course, a lost dog. It all comes together in a heartbreaking tale of love, loss and small rays of hope and sunshine despite the rain.

Comp Title: Rules by Cynthia Lord

Dear 2015 Laura Ingalls Wilder Award Committee,

I would like t
Uka
Apr 25, 2016 Uka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
4/5

Reseña publicada en: http://nuubedepalabras.blogspot.com.e...

Cuando me enfrenté a esta novela, tengo que reconocer que no sabía nada de ella. Me llegó por sorpresa de parte de la editorial y me puse a leerlo enseguida. Para todos los que os gusten las historias middle-grade, o si queréis leer algo un poco para desconectar sin entrar en historias muy complejas, os lo recomiendo mucho. ¡Pero vayamos poco a poco!

La novela habla de Rose, una niña de unos diez años que vive con su padre. Es una ni
Pamela
Tender . . . Unique . . . Powerful . . . Bittersweet. An emotionally complex, character-driven book perfectly suited for middle-age children. But I think adults will be charmed by this touching story too (to) (two).

The world can seem like a loud, confusing, unfair place; even more so if you're ten-years-old and wired a little differently than most other fifth graders. Sensitivity to sounds, stringent expectations of rules and routines, and an obsession with homonyms and prime numbers doesn't wi
Ms. Yingling
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I finally get to share my book love for this one. Some books you get to the end and you just want to hug the book. It leaves you feeling like you don't want to read anything else for awhile because it will spoil the moment. Rain Reign was that book for me. I loved Rose and she reminded me of students that I have worked with. I had definite sweet spots for Rain and Uncle Weldon. And my heart broke some for Rose's dad who just was so real. I would love to read this one aloud to a class or share in ...more
Jessica
Feb 21, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I read this book, I showed it to my 10yo and asked if he wanted to read it first, since it had just been given one of the ALA awards. Now I'm glad that he declined because he's halfway through another book. I stayed up until the wee hours finishing this book, tense and sick to my stomach the whole time.

That's not to say the book isn't good. It's wonderful. It's a very real portrait of a girl on the autism spectrum, her struggles at school, and the solace she finds in caring for her dog. B
Miriam
Jun 08, 2014 Miriam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rose's father is not very patient with her. She's obsessed with prime numbers and homophones, has trouble making eye contact or conversations and is extremely sensitive to sounds that don't even register with most people. But he brings her a dog one rainy night and since the animal has no collar or tags, he tells Rose that they don't need to search for the dog's owner. Rose loves the dog and the feeling is mutual. We get the feeling that Rain's been traumatized in some way and she relies on Rose ...more
Angus
Mar 08, 2014 Angus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully written story about Rose, a child obsessed with homonyms and 'prime number names', both manifestations of her high-functioning mild Aspergers condition. Rose lives with her father in a small upstate town in New York State. One wet day Rose's dad shows up with a stray dog who she names Rain - now they both have names that are also homonyms - a poetry not lost on Rose which also heightens her connection to the dog. A storm hits the area and Rain is lost. Rose is desperate to find her ...more
Jamie Oberheu
Apr 28, 2015 Jamie Oberheu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rain Reign has 226 pages of engaging literature. In this book, Rose is our main character. She is a young girl about 11 years old. She has autism and loses her dog. She encounters everyday situations that all kids face. She has a teacher who is a bit annoying, her dad leaves her to fend for herself most of the time, and Rose has never had the chance to meet her mom. I gave this book 5 stars, because through the way the book is written we learn lessons of compassion and empathy for kids like Rose ...more
Cheryl
Jul 20, 2016 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars rounded down, because imo it's not fresh enough to be worth the hype.

(view spoiler)
Jennie Smith
Apr 02, 2015 Jennie Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
If I could give it 100 stars, I would!
Allison Hobson
Jan 21, 2017 Allison Hobson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was SO good! But, it was really sad. I cried at one point... literally, tears were rolling down my cheeks. This may or may not spoil something, it depends on your point of view:
I have a dog, so it was even more sad.
L.A.
Aug 07, 2015 L.A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book earns its fourth star by virtue of addressing Asperger's syndrome in girls, which occurs much less often than in boys. Any time somebody writes a book that consciously expands the range of people who can see themselves reflected in tween/teen lit, I'm very happy.

Rose loves homonyms, her Uncle Weldon, and her dog, Rain. She loves her dad, too, but it's an uneasy, uncertain kind of love. For one thing, he doesn't have a lot of patience for Rose's quirks (which, besides homonyms, include
Barb Middleton
Rose Howard reigns in the world of prime numbers, homophones, and rules. Her autism makes it difficult for her to control the urge to yell in school. She lives with her father, a mechanic, who likes to drink at the Luck of the Irish pub after or during work. Fifth grader Rose lives with Rain, an abandoned dog that her dad found behind the pub, and the two are inseparable and left alone more than is good for a child. She's not too emotional and faces her father's shortcomings with stoicism. Her U ...more
Kelly Hager
Nov 01, 2014 Kelly Hager rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Ann M. Martin book I've read in probably 25 years or so. I was a huge fan of the Babysitters Club when I was in elementary school and I know I read another book of hers, although I don't remember it very well.

So when I saw that she was going to be at BEA earlier this year, I was very excited. (Fun fact: getting this book was the first thing I did on the first day at BEA.)

And totally worth it, because this is an amazing book. I know that the autism diagnoses are shooting way thr
Ashli Barrera
May 04, 2015 Ashli Barrera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I am very glad I bought this book. It has lots of heart. If you want a heartful book with truth,and love,then I think that you should read it. I would recommend it to anyone,and I think everyone should read this. Also,the ending is so...I'm not sure what to say...it's beautiful. Read it and I promise, you'll love it. :)
Rose
Aug 19, 2015 Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to give this 100 stars! One of the best young children's book out right now. I loved this girl!!! A bittersweet story of Rose a girl of high functioning child with autism, her single father, loving uncle and the special bond she has with her dog Rain.

Rose is obsessed with homonyms and prime numbers, is a bit awkward socially, and is just a delight. I didn't want this book to end. There were many themes running throughout this story, single parenthood, abuse, ethical choices, along with em
This magnificent story of an autistic girl and her beloved dog deserves all five of its starred reviews. Make no mistake, this is a first rate tearjerker and while I did indeed cry, Rose's painstakingly logical voice kept me from losing it too much. I haven't felt this way about a book since The One and Only Ivan and hope this one will find just as large of an audience. Keep the Kleenex and your dog close while reading.
Eden Sienkiewicz
Sep 03, 2016 Eden Sienkiewicz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: caudill-books
I really enjoyed this book. I rated Rain Reign a four because I loved the detail and point of view that it was written in, yet I felt that I was lost in the beginning. It seemed to be written in almost diary or journal entry forms, which made it more interesting. I could not put the book down. It really emotionally affected me towards the end, which made me enjoy the book even more. Other than that, I felt that the author could have been more powerful with her choice of words. I recommend this b ...more
Carrie Gelson
I started and finished this book in one sitting. Before the rest of the house was awake. I couldn't imagine putting it down. Rose is a girl I might have met, but this novel gave me a deeper peek into how she ticks and for this, I am very grateful to Ann M. Martin. Any title that helps a teacher think bigger, better, more carefully about students that may come our way, is a true gift. Rose may do a lot of things very differently. She also does a lot much more bravely. Such a read.
Holly
Heartbreaking. Rose Howard, a misunderstood girl diagnosed with high-functioning autism, and her love for Rain and homonyms will tug at your heartstrings. Thank God for her uncle! This book would be great to pair with Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine, Rules by Cynthia Lord, and Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper. Look for this book when it comes out in October (or on Netgalley, which is how I read it early). It is a must-read for middle graders!
Dee Ann
Oct 05, 2016 Dee Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do not know much about Asperger's syndrome and appreciated getting to see the world through (thru) Rose's eyes. Rose loves homonyms and I (eye) soon found that I liked this aspect of the book. This book has such heart. I found myself rooting (routing) for (four, fore) Rose as she tackled various problems that many face throughout life.
Joy Kirr
I read this in one day. Clever, sad, and hopeful. I cried a bit, and then cried a bit more. I don't know who to recommend this one to, but I do know it will have me thinking for some time.
  • Absolutely Almost
  • The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher (Family Fletcher, #1)
  • The Meaning of Maggie
  • The Secret Hum of a Daisy
  • Soar
  • Nest
  • Half a Chance
  • Death by Toilet Paper
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Gaither Sisters, #3)
  • The Center of Everything
  • The Seventh Most Important Thing
  • A Boy and a Jaguar
  • Maybe a Fox
  • The Junction of Sunshine and Lucky

More about Ann M. Martin...