Start by marking “The Yellow Room” as Want to Read:
The Yellow Room

The Yellow Room

Sixteen-year-old Anna receives a letter from her father's girlfriend telling her he has died and asking to meet. Anna is drawn to Edie: her warmth, her character, her ability to rustle up delicious meals, all of which her own mother is seemingly incapable of... and the way she can tell Edie the secret that is buried inside her.

A tautly told, compelling tale about mothers a
Published July 28th 2016 by Hot Key Books

To ask other readers questions about The Yellow Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Yellow Room

Cora Tea Party Princess
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
5 Words: Blackmail, bullying, family, friendship, trust.

Wow.

So I knew right from the off that all would not be as it seemed, but I was still thrilled by the ride that is this book. There was a sinister undertone to all of the normality, I just *knew* that something bad was going to happen.

I absolutely loved Anna. I could see so much of myself in her (and it wasn't all good) it was like she was ME when I was a teen. And even a bit like me now.

I loved the ending, how it wasn't exactly as I expect
Elina Gomberg
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is so good and so interesting you just can't stop reading it. It starts a bit slow and a bit predictable and then it takes on an entire new direction. Great plot twists, great tension and great social commentary that serves the plot and not the other way around. It's not as deep as I would have liked it to be, but it touches on really great points.
Chelsea
Jess Vallance is clearly a very talented writer - she managed to portray some great characters within The Yellow Room, from the ordinary Anna to the villain Leon, as well as approaching subjects such as mental health and bullying in a careful manner. The Yellow Room is a great book for young readers, and I would definitely recommend it to someone who is maybe branching into YA for the first time.
Lauren James
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ukya
Another incredibly dark story of obsession, revenge and love. Jess Vallance is one of the most underrated UKYA authors.
Paula Vince
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Whoa, so hard to discuss this novel without plot spoilers, but I'll do my best, or at least make them smallish ones which intrigue rather than big ones which reveal things I shouldn't. I won't say anything about the significance of the title. You have to wait to find out.

This novel is original in both concept and execution. It's written in a lighthearted and easy-flowing manner with plenty of humorous observations, yet the subject matter gives it a creepy and sinister undertone. The chapters are
Clair Sharpe
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Yellow Room starts with Anna receiving a letter from Edie who tells her that her father has died. Anna is unsure how to feel about it as she hadn’t seen her dad for years but agrees to meet Edie who was her dad’s girlfriend. I was surprised by this book – I thought it would be another YA book dealing with the problems and feelings of being a teenager, but it was more than that, with suspense and a little creepiness thrown in.
Bee
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
It was okay. The writing was really good but the plot was just a bit boring. I saw the end coming from a mile away as well. The writing style kind of reminded me of Louise Rennisson!
Luna
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Toxic and twisted relationships appear to be Jess Vallance’s storytelling forte. At least based on her debut Birdy, and now on her newest book The Yellow Room.

Anna is taken in by Edie, her father’s girlfriend who written her a letter telling Anna that her dad died. Anna hasn’t seen or heard from her father for years and agrees to meet Edie. From there the two of them form friendship and as Anna’s life unravels further Edie is the one she goes to for help.

Because I’d read Birdy I knew that Jess V
Bookread2day
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The reason I wanted to read The Yellow Room is that I read Jess Vallance first novel Birdy which I totally loved and gave it 5 stars the same I have given The Yellow Room. As I like reading Jess Vallance novels I now follow Jess Vallance on Good reads. The Yellow Room is about school girl Anna who receives a letter to say her father had died, but her fathers girl friend Edie wants to know if she will meet her. Anna keeps the meeting with Edie a secret. But Edie is keeping secrets of her own. Ann ...more
Kirsty
Feb 12, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is super creepy. There was a lot going on where you weren't quite sure what was going on but knew you didn't like it.
Maia Moore
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Original review posted here

I didn’t know much about this book going into it, but I really enjoyed Vallance’s twisted friendship tale Birdy last year, so I had high expectations. I wasn’t disappointed.

Anna gets a letter from her estranged Dad’s girlfriend telling her he’s dead and asking her to meet. Anna has her reservations but agrees to meet Edie and the two strike up an odd friendship, despite the misgivings of her friends. Edie is the opposite of Anna’s own mother: warm, funny, and actually
Ummu
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: done
My emotions ran high whenever Leon Jakes-Field made his appearances. I thought he is sick in the head but apparently, someone else is.

This book was good! It tells the story of Anna Roddick. So what is it about her? Anna is a nice person. So nice that when Leon threatens her for what she did, Anna didn't share it with anyone (It could have been solved if only Anna tell the truth). She lives with her mother but their relationship is the worse mother-daughter relationship ever. Anna's mother is a p
Ellie-Louise
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Yellow Room is a young adult book written by Jess Vallance. It’s about a girl who gets a letter telling her father has died and that the girlfriend of the father would like to meet up with her.

I really enjoyed this book and it wasn’t what I was expecting. The story is very gripping and I found myself reading page after page. Jess Vallance does very well with leaving the readers wanting more and crafts great twists and turns.

I loved the characters, I loved how different they are from one anot
Chent Higson
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Damn this book had potential. I had an uneasy feeling from the start (the good sort) and I thought the build up was so good, but then the climax was so disappointing. It felt like plot twists and story lines kind of just kept petering out. It's a fun read, and I reckon kids around the 13, 14, 15 mark would enjoy it more than I did.
Raquel
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amazing book! Highly recommend!! Will be uploading a video review soonish on youtube (MyNameIsKelly) but long story short this book is amazing!
Lindsay
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well written. Slow suspense. Worth reading.
skippity_doo
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, yalc
Enjoyable, thrilling YA. Teens will love this creepy tale of blackmail and lies.
Alice English
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: libaray-reads
It's an ok book , it just takes too long to get into the story.
Mavinia
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed it to the end :)
Victoria Smith
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Very good book and I really enjoyed reading it, however I only rated 3 stars as it was about 3/4 into the book until it started getting good.
Lianne
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for an easy read
Just a quick note of thanks to NetGalley, Jess Vallance, and Hot Key Books for sending me an advance kindle edition of this book in order that I could review it.

So, as with my other reviews - no spoilers within this review. I'll review it without giving any specific details about the content.

I read this book incredibly quickly. Actually I think the correct term would be "devoured". It was really easy to read, not so easy to put down, and very satisfying.

The characters are so well put together
Kelsey
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed on thebasicbookbitch

he Yellow Room focuses on sixteen year old Anna who one day receives a letter from her father's girlfriend telling her that he has died. Anna hasn't seen her father since she was four so when his girlfriend, Edie asks to meet Anna can't help but be intrigued by it.

Edie is a very eccentric and quirky lady, but also very loving and friendly, the complete opposite to Anna's mum who is cold and quite often wrapped up in her job that she doesn't even noticed An
Lisa Bentley
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-books, 2016
Bloody Hell. I know, weird way to start a review, right? But that was the overwhelming thought I had throughout The Yellow Room by Jess Vallance.

Let us start with a quick overview. The Yellow Room is a story about Anna. She is your regular teenager; she spends time with friends, goes to school and ignores her homework. Everything is pretty regular in her life…except that she has a secret. A dark secret that becomes all the more complicated with the arrival of Edie, Anna’s dead father’s ex-girlfr
Serendipity Reviews
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rather creepy but has an innocence to it as well. Desperation can lead you into strange decisions.
Priscilla
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
"I'm a coward. I don't like saying no to people. I hate to let people down."

If Anna weren't a people-pleaser, she probably wouldn't be in this mess in the first place. Life sends her into a downward spiral when she receives a letter telling her that her father has died. It's from Edie, her dead father's girlfriend.

A friendship with a stranger is the last thing on her mind, but sympathy and loneliness drive Anna to meet this eccentric woman. Their new relationship starts out positive when Edie he
The Book Moo
Aug 23, 2016 rated it liked it
So this was a slow book to begin with but because it's so short I didn't mind the pacing. I found that Anna was an incredibly lonely character who seemed to have false friends and hardly a connection to her mother at all! Enter Edie. I love Edie since she just wants that connection too, even if she is slightly strange. She is my favourite character in the book.
The plot took what felt like forever to move along but I was so happy that there was a shock in there. I think maybe the book needs a new
Kirsti
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well, heck. That one came outta no where. The absolute yellow cover of this book drew me in, but I wasn't really sure on the story. The basic premise, that Anna meets with Edie, her father's girlfriend. Edie tells her that her father had died, and the to grow close through common relationships, and the basic fact that Anna has no where else to turn. Then? Well, you need to read it to believe it.

Suffice to say I adored it. I can't give out more than that without spoiling it, so I won't. It as unu
PF Freire
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book, it is creepy, suspensefull and most of the time realistic.

But I notice that...
(view spoiler)
Joséphine (Word Revel)
Initial thoughts: That was sheer madness! The Yellow Room was downright creepy with such shady characters, I felt unsettled reading about them. I didn't care all that much for Anna but I kept on reading anyway, the way you read disturbing news articles. Morbid fascination does that to you. Despite its relative shortness at 263 pages, this novel managed to pack several plot twists that made it a worthwhile read. If you're looking for a light thriller sans blood and gore, The Yellow Room fits the ...more
Kimberly Ajat
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Overall it's a good read. Funny, entertaining, fast paced, yet creepy and some parts are really heart-breaking. The heart-breaking part was with Anna's parents. Such shitty parents they just don't deserve to be parents at all. It's cool how Anna can cope well with living with her mom though. And Leon, oh god what a fucking bully he was. I can't help but feeling so angry whenever his part came in, disturbing Anna, threatening her. Poor girl doesn't deserve all that shit. So yea, this book is real ...more

• Mother Tongue
  • Margot & Me
  • The Honey Farm on the Hill
  • No Virgin
  • Briony Hatch
  • The Everest Files (Everest Files, #1)
  • My Life as a Hashtag
  • Leap of Faith
  • The Lit Report
  • The Child's Elephant
  • Theo (One Love, Two Stories, #2)