Start by marking “Red Ink” as Want to Read:
Red Ink

Red Ink

When Lucy Khambule receives an unexpected call from a convicted serial killer, nicknamed The Butcher by the media, her life takes a dramatic turn. The Butcher wants Lucy to tell his story. Intrigued by his approach Lucy decides to take this opportunity to fulfill her dream of writing a book.
Paperback
Published 2007 by Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about Red Ink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Ink

Lorraine
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Crime-thrillers are on the rise here at home. I enjoy JJ Coetzee and Deon Meyer's books immensely. Sarah Key writes chilling stories too and I am so happy to add this Angela Makholwa's one to my repertoire.

We had read "Black Widows Society" as a book club 2 years ago and found its ghastly plot very chilling. The plot brought about a very robust discussion around walking away when love is no longer served.

"Red Ink" was Hannibal Lecter meeting "Kiss The Girls" with Jack The Riper. It was gruesome.
Puleng Hopper
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Red Ink kept me at the edge of my sit and it gave me heart palpitations. I had to read it during the day and definitely not immediately before bedtime.

The story opens with a horrific murder of Busi by a stranger and prospective lover. The man lures her to a deserted field. Without provocation he strangles her, urinates on her, swears at her, slices her breasts, cuts her head off and leaves her for dead., soaked in a pool of blood.

A graphic well narrated read with unpredictable twists. It covers
Boitshepo
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Makholwa is a brilliant writer in my books. I feel like she treats writing like a craft of life-or-death.
If memory serves, I think this is the first South African thriller I've read, by a black young woman nogal, and a debut at that.

I felt like it took a bit of a while for the action to really really really begin - not to say the build-up was not in itself entertaining reading.

The book was fun all in all - blood, backstabbing, sibling obsession and all.
Siyamthanda Skota
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Beyond amazing !!
Muthoni Muiruri
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is definitely the year I begin pushing my reading boundaries to new levels and I am excited about it. Earlier in the year I read Children of Blood and Bone – an afro futuristic, fantastical YA book that I absolutely loved it, I moved on to Arimah’s Short story collection which has a number of magical realism, afro futuristic themes I enjoyed, I even read Ngugi wa Thiong’despite my misgivings and now a Psychological crime thriller!! Who am I turning into? I like her!

It starts with a date and
Kanyisa
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

I liked the book very much. I will recommend the books to family and friends. Have read most of the authors books and love them.
Thatso
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kept me on the edge of my seat. Could not bring myself to read it at night. Angela knows how to keep her reader on the edge.
Leabiloe
Apr 26, 2014 rated it liked it

In a word: gripping. I love watching the TV show Criminal Minds, and reading Red Ink was like watching an extended show of it. Angela Makholwa writes boldly about the violence that is at the centre of her crime novel. She's descriptive and does not shy away from the details of the blood and gore. In the same way that I cannot turn away from Criminal Minds, I could not stop reading.

Her main character, Lucy Khambule is a former crime reporter now turned PR c
Vivian
Aug 19, 2012 rated it liked it
I loved the flow and the South African flair to Red Ink. It was a fun light read. I however was disappointed that Angela did not keep KK's involvement back to the end to add to the tension. I almost had a feel as if to the end she was in a hurry to end the novel. There were things that did not make sense to the plot like the exchange of cars that for no reason tied into the story line.
Angelique Pacheco
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I was blown away by this book. I have always enjoyed a good murder mystery and Red Ink does not disappoint. Characters you want to be like, characters you hate, this book has them all. A good plot and an ending that makes you freak out good and solid. Excellent book for a stormy night.
Tshidi Khutwane
Oct 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Amazing book, this woman will keep you on your toes. Unpredictable and a real page turner. This is the kind of book that movies should be made of.
Vuyo Gqola
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read.
Lungisa
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely gripping, very well written!
Molebatsi
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a gripping thriller, I had difficulties putting it down.
Nonku