Start by marking “The Way We Roll” as Want to Read:
The Way We Roll

The Way We Roll

From the author of the award-winning The Dead I Know comes a tragicomic 'bromance' with an unexpected thriller twist, featuring a boy from the upper end of town who finds refuge and friendship pushing trolleys at the local supermarket and avoiding a troubling secret in his own past.

Will Rushton owns a genuine Rolex but pushes shopping carts for a living. His workmates are
Published March 1st 2016 by Allen & Unwin

To ask other readers questions about The Way We Roll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way We Roll

Fiona Mackie
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I want to give this book waaaay more than 5 stars and give it to so many of my boys at school. Funny, heartbreaking, sweary lots, it grabs you and doesn't let go. We need heaps more like this - guys who are real and now, and all kinds of examples of maleness. Do yourself a favour - buy it, read it, share it too - I certainly will be!
Sue
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Scot Garner is an optimistic person. I know this because no matter what he puts his characters through, no matter how bleak things look for them at the start, he always manages to end his novels with a feeling of hope.
Will, a former private school student and former resident of Garland, is a trolley jockey who works at the local shopping centre. He has just been partnered with Julian, a former juvie from West Tennant. On the surface it appears they are complete opposites and when they brawl in t
Figgy
Will went to a private school and owns a Rolex, but now he spends his days pushing shopping trolleys and nights hiding out in the crawl-space below a bowling alley. He plays things close to his chest, but he’s obviously hiding from something in his past.
Someone was bowling on the seventeenth lane – the one right above my bed. Balls intermittently growled past and collided musically with the pins. Another strike. And another. Bowling is more interesting from beneath the floorboards. There’s no wi
Trish
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous story from one of my favourite authors. I will be recommending it to all my 'I don't read miss' boys because I think they'll read this fast paced, funny / sad story.
Braiden
Sometimes all you need is a simple story with engrossing characters, humour, and an optimistic ending.
Bridget
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Scott Gardner, you write books that I want all my boys to read! You get teenagers. You understand their need to always look good, their mateship and the way that they can be kind to each other even when that is about as uncool as it is possible to be. I love all your books but I think this one might be my new fave. I'm heading out to buy lots of copies because I know that I can pitch it to lots of guys who pretend to hate reading. There is fun, sadness and quite a lot of dodgy behaviour, but it ...more
Emma
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Scot Gardner has a knack for turning any awful situation on its head with humour & raw emotion. I love how he is able to take a crazy, sometimes unimaginable situation, & chuck it in with some average, every day people to create a thoroughly enjoyable story. Some of these characters felt so real, so recognizable! I felt like I'd met them before (C'mon, we all know a Jules!) I think Scot is also excellent at capturing Aussie culture, how we interact with one another, how we deal with our ...more
Rikki Hill
I read this specifically for work, not "for work", but truly so I could decide if it is better for year 10s or 11s. I didn't love it but I liked it, I will teach it and I think the target audience will enjoy it. I did like the representation of boys and relationships and class/diversity, I think what I didn't like was quite a bit of dialogue but that's okay!
Helen Stower
The primary setting for this book is a shopping centre carpark where the two main characters, Will, and Julian are employed in their first job on a trolley crew. The two are from vastly different class backgrounds - Will is of privilege and wealth and Julian is a “Westie” and has very working class roots. On the trolley crew, however, these things do not matter and friendship and loyalty are defined by actions, not a birthright.

Despite being “born with a silver spoon in his mouth”, it is Will wh
Heather Gallagher
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I enjoyed this pacey read about a young man on the run. The central mystery as to why Will is on the run is intriguing and certainly pulls the reader along. His relationship - accurately described in the blurb as a bromance - with Julian is entertaining. Will has grown up in a private boarding school, while Jules is a self-confessed Westie and this makes for a great dynamic. One thing, I did find it a little hard to differentiate between the trolley boy characters - on top of Julian's family, it ...more
Khee
Apr 24, 2016 rated it liked it
If there were half stars, I'd give this book 3.5. I feel like I'm being a bit mean, but I guess I didn't want the ending to be so 'nice'. I enjoyed the journey, an interesting bunch of characters and not everything over-explained, but ultimately, despite the Westie setting, the ending lacked grit and tied everything up with big red bows. Still, an enjoyable read.
Diana
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I had a future again, as hazy as it seemed. St Alphaeus wasn't really an option anymore, but there were a hundred good schools out there. I could smell the possibilities like KFC and that shit always makes me hungry."

This is a short, fun read, and Jules and Will positively adorable. But if you think that this is a story about a goat, you'll be disappointed.
Julia Smith
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love this. Everything a boy book should have - humour, friendship, family angst, diversity, violence, swearing, hope, and realistic characters that you care deeply about. Scot Gardner writes teenage boys perfectly, as does similar authors Markus Zusak and Matthew Quick. Make sure this is in your school library.
Marion Hale
More of a 3.5 stars. A great book for reluctant boy readers. It has a bit of mystery, secrets, small smattering of romance and a big dose of bromance. It is a quick read and not too long but with plenty of themes so it can be used as a school text.
Julie_ian_curtis
Steph
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nbhs, read-2016
A fine bromance.

A humorous coming-of-age story about friendship, forgiveness and keeping your heart open. I loved it and will be foisting it upon all of the boys.

They have been warned.
Margo
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Jane
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
By audio. 2.5. there were a number of parts that I think could have been edited out, they felt like the author was trying to prove his cred as a writer of blokes stories. But perhaps that was listening to the audio.
Sue
A good read with lots of humour as usual. Not sure if the ending sat well with me as I felt the father's relationship seemed too icky for my liking. Gardner is great at drawing 'real' Aussies...whatever they are
Kristin Alford
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sunday afternoon, getting lost in someone else’s world for a bit
Vanessa.Willetts
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I picked this up while I should have been doing something else, just to fill in a minute. Then I decided that I needed to borrow it. Then I read it over the weekend. I don't know why I liked it so much - I don't think it is brilliant in any way that I can point to. In fact I think some of it is poorly written - not clear. But the characters are people that you can't help caring about - they hook you in from the beginning. There is also a touch of this being a fairytale - it is realistic but not ...more
Anika Claire
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
A sweet and simple story about two young men from very different backgrounds who become friends and help each other in simple, but profound ways.

I loved Scot's writing style - so easy to read that I finished this whole book in one day. It will leave you feeling like there are good people out there in the world.

Review posted on Tea in the Treetops in February 2016:

The Way We Roll follows trolley boys Will and Jules at their supermarket job in the western suburbs. As they become friends and more
TheCosyDragon
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Will lives under the bowling alley and pushes trolleys for a day-job. His life involves pumping iron at the gym so he can have a shower, and feeding off Japanese sushi. Julian eats takeaway and has a sexy girlfriend who hangs out with him in the ‘burbs when he isn’t pushing trolleys. The two boys and their worlds are distant, but their trolley-pu
Adele Broadbent
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: older-teens-14
Will is in hiding. He lives under a bowling alley by night, and works as a trolley boy in a large mall during the day. He is a complete contrast to Julian, who is a Westie, covered in tattoos and rough round the edges, who is also a trolley boy.
Julian calls Will an Alfie because he used to go to an expensive private school called St Alphaeus. Julian wants to know why someone like Will is sleeping under a bowling alley, and he offers Will a bed at his house. Will meets Julian's family who accept
Lee
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
The moment I finished reading this I gave myself a little pat on the back. Not literally of course. You see, we’ve booked Scot Gardner to come to school in September and speak about books and run writing workshops and from the three books of his that I’ve now read, I JUST KNOW he will be awesome!
This book is about Will. And his mate Julian (Jules). Contrary to what the cover and the blurb may suggest, it is NOT a book about a goat. Will and Julian meet when they are both working at a local shop
Clare Snow
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Yr 10-12 boys
My book group read this in July. A welcome change from all the girly romance I’ve found myself reading recently. So funny, so blokey, so much wisdom from trolley boys:

“Dinosaurs laid eggs before chickens even evolved.”

Will is sleeping rough under a bowling alley. He works as a trolley boy at the local shopping centre and after a punch up with his co-worker Julian, the two become friends. Julian doesn’t believe the stories Will tells about his past life at a private boys school. He coaches Will o
EmilyViolet
I wasn't sure about this book to begin with, but I ended up really enjoying.
This is the contemporary tale of Will, and his growing friendship with Julian, and basically the drama of Will's life.
It's only a short story, and yeah it's a bit predictable at times, but it's also... nice. I liked seeing Will grow and his bromance with Julian is adorable. The boys' really remind me of some of my friends and they're just real. They're relateable and you want to stand behind them.
The writing isn't anythi
Jessica
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Scot Gardner once again provides readers with a coming of age tale. Will is running from something that he can't seem to escape from. Julian is running from the goat next door and enjoying other people's left overs. They are polar opposites and yet they have a common connection - their job pushing shopping trolleys. It is through Julian that Will finds friendship and finally finds a way to stop running and finally start living.

Powerful, moving and real, The Way we Roll will take you on a wild ri
Mistress Bast
Jun 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Not really my typical kind of read, but very well written. I enjoy the detail of Scot's writing. The little things that make it more real. The way we don't get told that one of the characters has OCD, but the fact that he wears two watches and checks them both lets us know. We also don't get told when that character is stressed, but his behaviour towards the watches lets us know.

I was a little disappointed that the goat didn't figure in the story as much as the cover and the blurb had me believi
St Stephen's C C
Will went to private school, and Julian went to juvie. Will is running from a family secret, and Julian is running from the goat next door. The boys meet pushing trolleys, and they find a common enemy in the Westie hoons who terrorise the carpark.
After a few close calls, Will has to nut up and confront his past. But on the way, he learns a few things about what it means to be a friend - and what it means to be family.
The Way We Roll a rattling urban bromance made of plastic and stainless steel
Scot Gardner wasn't born reading and writing; in fact, he left school in year eleven to undertake an apprenticeship in gardening with the local council. He has worked as a waiter, masseur, delivery truck driver, home dad, counselor, and musician.

These days he spends half the year writing and half the year on the road talking to people about his books and the craft of writing.