Start by marking “Happy Hour and Other Philadelphia Cruelties” as Want to Read:
Happy Hour and Other Philadelphia Cruelties

Happy Hour and Other Philadelphia Cruelties

A young grifter steals an overcoat. As he discovers forty-thousand dollars in its inside pocket, the coat’s owners come after him. The action never stops as his pursuers seem to be both ahead and behind him at all times, killing and destroying everything in their wake to catch up with their money and the young thief.
Happy Hour is as breathless as writing can be.
Knighton’s
Published 2015 by Crime Wave Press

To ask other readers questions about Happy Hour and Other Philadelphia Cruelties, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Hour and Other Philadelphia Cruelties

Start your review of Happy Hour and Other Philadelphia Cruelties
Stephanie Jane (Literary Flits)
See more of my book reviews on my blogs, Literary Flits and Stephanie Jane
Kevin Catalano
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Knighton writes as well as the best noir authors. Happy Hour is a relentless, energetic, and punchy novella that reminds me of his hometown predecessor, David Goodis. If you love noir and haven't read Knighton, get on it!
Dale Elster
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific dark noir fiction collection!
The title story alone is worth the price of the book - one of the best chase scenes I have ever read! The rest of the stories are great, too. Many of them are small vignettes that hit you like a punch in the guts.
Excellent writing combined with well-rounded, interesting characters.
You can't go wrong with this book!
Taylor (TaysInfiniteThougts)

This book has twelve short stories featuring grifters, murderers, and sometimes just some really bad people. Each story kind of ends on a cliffhanger, leaving you and your imagination to piece together what happens in the end. Some of the stories were better than others, of course. The author’s writing is dark and gritty and he doesn’t hold back on the violence.

The title story is about a grifter who steals a coat and finds $40,000 in the inside pocket. When he doubles back to hide his trail, he
Gail
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Some great stories, and some not so great.
Shane Keene
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
In addition to being one of our American heroes (a lieutenant in the Philly fire department), Tony Knighton is an author who should be garnering some attention soon. His fiction is dark and gritty and as dirty as the Philadelphia streets he writes about in his novella HAPPY HOUR and the other "Philadelphia Cruelties" included in this debut collection.

The title novella in the collection is a frantic urban chase story through a landscape filled with all the elements of a gritty, down and dirty
Joe Starnes
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tony Knighton’s novella Happy Hour has so much narrative energy I couldn't put it down. Amidst all this momentum, it also paints a vivid, gritty portrait of Philadelphia that jumps off the page. The undertone of unemployment and drug use are well-managed and I felt empathy for the main character even as he commits one crime after another. The opening scene is one of the best things I’ve read in a while. I also very much enjoyed the stories included here, especially "Scavengers," "Sunrise," "Mr. ...more
Debbi DuBose
I won this book an in a Goodreads Giveaway. Happy Hour by Tony Knighton includes a novella and eleven short stories. The novella: Happy Hour is a psychological thriller that left me guessing until the very end. I don't usually read short stories but most of these were entertaining. They were all suspenseful and/ or crime related.
Chaplain Stanley Chapin
Too much explicit sex and drugs

I wanted to read this as I had spent years living in Philadelphia, but the main character started using drugs. The explicit sex parts then brought my interest to a close.
Mark Krajnak
There are no good people in these stories. Loved it.
Julie Odell
Jun 13, 2015
Janet Stokes
rated it did not like it
Jan 01, 2016
Nov 03, 2016
Jim
Feb 27, 2016
Tony Knighton
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Pat