Start by marking “Hear the Crickets (The Gibborim, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hear the Crickets (The Gibborim, #1)

Hear the Crickets (The Gibborim #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  42 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Skyy’s a freak. She’ll tell you so herself. Her past – a mystery. Her future – uncertain. Having spent most of her life avoiding humans in an effort to conceal her wings, she wants nothing more than to end it all, leaving behind the solitary life she’s been forced to live. But numerous attempts to die have proven immortality is both a curse and a nuisance. She now lives ou ...more
ebook
Published January 7th 2016 by Whiskey Creek Press

To ask other readers questions about Hear the Crickets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hear the Crickets

Linda Bakker-Zwakhals
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved this book, read it in one day. It was a fun and easy read, with lots of humor, sarcasm, and totally loveable characters. It was fast paced throughout the entire book, with a tiny bit of romance and lots of action at the end. Mixed with one of my favorite subjects, mythic beings, it was the perfect recipe for a brain candy book. I know I'll be wanting to read this again some day.
Shelly Crane
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"BJ has such a strong YA voice. Can't wait to read more epicness from Skyy!"
Cristina
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review posted also on Crazy Beautiful Reads

Received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Fast Paced. Enticing. Action Packed and Suspenseful

Oh.My.Poor.Heart.
Okay. How am I supposed to start this review ? I mean, I’m still a bit bedazzled by what I’ve read. It has been a while since I last read a book this great – okay, not that much, but still.

This is my first encounter with BJ’s writings and I must say that she is something. I can now declare myself her fan.
The book is
Leah
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow, I was shocked with how much I enjoyed this book--It's one am guys. One am and I stayed up reading this book. And crying. And laughing. And shipping.

Anyways, I should have a full review up this weekend, but yeah, this is a book I would definitely recommend!!
Catherine Milos
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just. Wow. B.J. Sheldon sucked me right in and pulled me along a rapid-fire fantasy world that settles well into the paranormal/angel niche and yet transcends the genre. This spellbinding Y.A. novel touches on the human condition of finding your purpose, facing loss and grief, and overcoming monumentally overwhelming challenges.

Every novel has minor issues which get missed or subjective linguistic and grammatical preferences not accounted for in the grueling writing and editing processes.
Ethan Gregory
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Full review and more available at: http://oneguysguidetogoodreads.blogsp...

*****
My Thoughts:

After meeting BJ Sheldon in person and experiencing her warm, inspiring personality, I could not wait to finally devour one of her novels. When I was contacted by her publisher seeking review for her upcoming release, Hear the Crickets, I jumped a the opportunity. After reading the synopsis I was confident this would definitely be right up my alley. As anyone who follows my posts regularly will know, I'm
Tia Bach
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Skyy has tried many times to end it all... to finally be free of a life spent in hiding. Unfortunately, in addition to wings, she's immortal. So, with the exception of one friend, she secludes herself from the world.

Until one day, strangers show up and everything changes.

Now, she'll need to embrace her strength and face the most intense battle of her life. All to save the world... a world's she's been avoiding.

I love a unique paranormal, and I hadn't read anything like this one. But at the end
Logan LeDuc
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Full Review at www.loganashleyleduc.com

First of all, the title didn't give any sort of hint towards what kind of mythological, supernatural battle super novel I was about to crack open. This book was enticing. I couldn't put it down. The descriptions were so detailed and well laid out that it was like watching a movie play in my head - and honestly, those are the best kinds of books, aren't they?

Skyy is a kick-ass character. There is literally no other way to describe how amazing she is and the
Andrea Heltsley
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
I really enjoyed this book! It was unusual and original. Not only did I enjoy it, I was able to achieve a miracle and get my husband to listen to it. He said it was one of the best books he's ever enjoyed, and he is picky. We are both looking forward to the sequel. Five glittery stars.
Emerallove
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books… When I originally started reading it I was very skeptical and didn't think I would like it, even after I read the little summary on the back of the book but I still gave it a chance and I was so drawn into the main character "Sky". I wanted to know just as much about her as she wanted to know. I finish this book very quickly and was so irritated by the fact that book 2 hadn't been published yet.
Maria
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There's beauty in the title and a beautiful simplicity in the cover. Written upon the pages is a wonderful and strong mythology told through the story of Skyy, a beautiful freak with wings. Skyy has always felt apart from the rest of the world, when you're the only one you know with wings, I think that's bound to happen. But even if the rest of us don't have wings that others can see, I think we have something that has made us at one time or another feel like a freak. These things are our invisi ...more
Rosie
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For over three hundred years, Skyy has tried to kill herself countless times, but when you are immortal, it doesn’t seem to work out so well. Having to hide herself away all of these years due to the wings sprouting out of her back, Skyy has only one friend, Sean, a human she trusts with her secret and her life. After seeing a vision of a giant skeleton with wings, Skyy rushes to paint what she had seen inside her mind before Sean arrives at her studio. Moments later, five strangers have arrive ...more
S.F. Benson
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed BJ Sheldon’s “Hear the Crickets”. It was the first book I’d read by the author and it will not be my last.

“Hear the Crickets” was not the atypical story about angels. It was an imaginative, fresh take which had me thinking about the whole genre of angel mythology. I loved how Sheldon interweaved references like the Book of Enoch into her story. I have read other books which mentioned this fabled doctrine, but this was the first time I read about Azazel’s role. Very interesting to say
Ash Rowe
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
* I got ARC this for my honest review*

For some reason I thought I was going to read a book about a girl who was part cricket. Well I didn’t get that book. BUT! I got this book which is a a wonderful book that has to do more with angels and Nephilim.

I liked Skyy the self proclaimed freak who is kind of a shut in and not exactly nice to her best friend at times. I can understand why she would what to keep him at arms length though. During the course of the book you do see that she really cares f
Charles
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hear the Crickets is the first book I've ready by author BJ Sheldon, but it certainly won't be the last. With an exciting take on the world of angels, BJ pulled me into this world quickly and didn't let me go until the final word was written. The story surrounds Skyy, a woman who can't die. After centuries of living a humdrum, quiet life of seclusion, a quick turn of events leads her on a quest that becomes more than she would ever know. Secrets to her past are unlocked as she fights an enemy sh ...more
Jonas Lee
Finally got a chunk of time and a beach by the lake to read the rest of this book I started so long ago. It's a fantastic story diving into some fun topics I personally love with angels and their fall. I loved the story itself and the journey of Skyy coming into more of what she doesn't understand about herself, the Watcher aspect and all the taunts toward defeating evil.

For me, romance is either hit or miss and since I was more involved with the story and characters, I tended to rush through t
Heather
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's a terrible thing when you read a book early, and you are already wanting to get your hands on the next book in the series. haha! Sheldon presents a fascinating mythology coupled with plenty of action, kick*ssery, and kisses in Hear the Crickets. I bet you'll be wanting the next book ASAP, too!
Jamie Anderson
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very different story! Editing issues were a little difficult to get through (thus the 4 stars) but the uniqueness of the plot kept me going...
Jon Collins
Dec 14, 2016
Lisa Peot
Jan 07, 2016
Pooh
rated it did not like it
Mar 04, 2018
Logan
Jan 01, 2016
Kelli
Jan 26, 2016
B.J. Sheldon's love of writing has developed into a passion for creating exciting characters and story lines that she hopes will enthrall and inspire young readers to pick up a book and use their imaginations.

BJ Sheldon is a Young Adult author who has a penchant for the paranormal and supernatural. She is obsessed with strong female characters and the strength and determination that a young adult
More about B.J. Sheldon