Start by marking “Уна & Селинджър” as Want to Read:
Уна & Селинджър

Уна & Селинджър

В „Уна & Селинджър“ Бегбеде ни връща в миналото, в следвоенните години, за да ни срещне с Уна, петнайсетгодишната дъщеря на големия американски драматург Юджийн О’Нийл и бъдеща последна съпруга на Чарли Чаплин, и начинаещия по това време автор на незабравимия роман на няколко поколения „Спасителят в ръжта“ Джери Селинджър, тогава на 23 години. И да ни разкаже за ...more
Published November 9th 2015 by Колибри (first published August 20th 2014)

Start your review of Уна & Селинджър
Greta
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book hangover: Inability to start a new book because you're still living in the last book's world.

I think I have that now.
Carina
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic portrait of some of the most intruiging Americans.
Nino Chachava
"Love is a touch and yet not a touch."
Pascale
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Like all of Beigbeder's books, this one stems directly from his own experience. As a teenager spending a holiday in Switzerland, he bumped into Oona Chaplin and Truman Capote in a bar. Decades later, as he was making a fool of himself acting as a DJ in a Swiss art gallery, he fell in love with a gorgeous younger woman. Hence his vested interest in couples with a huge age difference and what makes them work. Beigbeder starts by dragging us along on an aborted trip to interview the reclusive J.D. ...more
Gjurgica
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in the blink of an eye and didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did.
To be honest, I think the real title or at least, subtitle of the book should be (Oona & Salinger & Charlie). It would be more fitting.
Back on track, this book has made me wonder about persons and events and ages past. It made them come alive before me and it made me enjoy meeting all of them with all their flaws. Even more so, it made me enjoy my own humane part and flaws.
After reading this book,
LiA
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A typical Beigbeder - a mix of facts and fiction - and I loved it a lot. I could have done without the intro - the author explaining, why he loves young women (or young people in general) and that he refuses to grow old, which sounds coquettish (or is it irony?). But the rest of the novel is just great. I was particularly impressed by the political and historical chapters.
Vasilija
Nov 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You can live without this book. It is better to read Catcher in the Rye again
Jiji Dyulgerova
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story based on a real love story, in which Una is the center and Jerome David Salinger (The Catcher in the Rye) and Sir Charles Spencer Chaplin are accompanying the different aspects of her life. On side are also characters like Truman Capote, Ernest Hemingway and Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald. An interesting overview of another epoch. I recommend reading it.
Dianais
Sep 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I was very excited to read this book but found it very hard to follow because of the constant intrusions by the author into the story. The subject was very interesting however and there were a few chapters towards the end that were worth it.
Mamoizelle
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in simple french and différent style of lecture. If you stop reading it in the middle or if you never read any of JD Salinger books before, you probably won't like it. Overall, j'adore!
Oksana
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to my friend Nata who gave me this book as a gift for my birthday. I've spent last two months reading Salinger and Beigbeder helped me understand a lot. Frankly, I do not like the type of books when an author gives you answers to all the questions and explains everything. In this case it was necessary (probably due to the genre of the book ( which is kind of biography literature though Beigbeder calls it faction)). This book is a very interesting read! I've enjoyed it to its fullest. You ...more
Madina Chingarieva
I don’t think Salinger would have liked this. It’s a risky affair to try to imagine great peoples letters and dialogs. Might come out cheesy, and that’s what Salinger definitely was not. He’d be pissed actually. He’d get a good old hemorrhage, if you know what I mean.
Anyway, It was an amusing reading. Mostly because when you put together Hemingway, Salinger, Capote, and whom not,in the same time-space, it’ll get sort of exciting. At the end there’s a chapter in which the author confirms that he
Lina
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the beginning I was thinking “waaaat. What’s happened to you man? Why are you that sugary this time?!” Literally. It felt like the author decided to get all the cliches together. So I was even considering to stop reading it. However I decided to give it a shot and that was a good choice. By the end of the story, I kinda understood why the begging was so sweet.
Anyway I wouldn’t recommend to read this book. I don’t think that this is the best one by him. Though if you have some free time and
Marija Andreeva
Beautiful book! Truthfully, wonderful book! I enjoyed every line, every page.
I felt like I was there when everything happened. What is fascinating is that I also felt that the person writing the story was someone very close to Salinger and Oona. This is the second novel that I have read from Beigbeder. Wonderful, he is truly a very gifted author.
Darya Hvizdalova
This is a very unexpected and nice surprise from Beigbeder, who turns out to be more than a 99-franks-kind of guy. Random comparisons and references to modern times and occasional pictures make the love story even brighter, while keeping the authentic 1940-s spirit. To be definitely followed by the unpublished Early stories by Salinger - to track the cues and findings down in the text.
Elena Laškoska
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
I am astonished of this Beigbeder's book. As previous books of him, I didn't like it a lot. But this book, kind of biography of Oona, Selinger, and their intimate relations are very thematic. Also big names are mentioned, Popa(Hamingway), Bodler, H.G Wales, Fitzerald.
Love it !
Isidora
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Seeing as I am a big fan of J.D.Salinger, I was very excited to read this book. It is, however, far too cynical for my taste. It idealises Salinger and Chaplin in a very boyish way that just didn't resonate with me. The worst part of it was that Beigbeder has poured all of his insecuritites about not going to war into this book, as well as his justifications for dating younger women. The upside was that I have, in fact, learned something about Salinger's life.
Elizabete
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
enjoyed. i am too obssesed with oona o'neill and salinger so it was really interesting to read. great thanks to talanted author who collected all the information - cannot imagine how much work it was... though sometimes his opinion and personal thoughts kind of bothered and disturbed me. but anyways - great, detailed and beautiful story and writing.
Jola Cora
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magnificent book! not just because of what is says about Oona and Salinger but mostly because of what it says about the times, the history, the war, its hidden truths and Beigbeder's poetic writing.
Natalie
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!
Rachelle
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to write a really good review of this book, but I never got around to it. I guess the best thing one can say about a book is that even after finishing it, it still sticks with me. The public persona of Frédéric Beigbeder doesn’t seem to match with the introspectiveness of this book. Sure, his public persona goes well with other of his works (L’Amour Dure Trois Ans, 99 Francs, etc.), but I like to believe that this book touches on the inner person. It’s a sweet story of a love that was ...more
Grevick
I actually liked this book.

To be honest, I did not expect that. It is much better than 99 francs, in my opinion, and deserves more attention.

I liked the atmosphere of the book, and its genre (which author defines as faction - fiction based on facts). I liked Beigbeder's cynical romantism. I was impressed by the depiction of war and PTSD. I liked the glimpses of author in the narration. I did not like some of the dialogs. I did not like the fact that Oona was not able to overcome her issues with
matilda haze
.. is a touch and yet not a touch
Pause Earl Grey
The Best book I read since ages.
Assel Tokeyeva
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maria Germanova
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5
I loved the lifestyle of the 40s, the description of WWII , and the idea that maybe this actually happened...

P.S The extra 0.5 is in honour of the 228th page of my edition of the book.
Davide Rubini
A story somebody had to write and worth reading. It is just a pity it had to be FB
Eva
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was suprised how good the story was. Although there are not so many details about Jerome's life I think this book just gave me a total picture of him.
Olya
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want write like Beigbeder.
Boryana Maximova
Beigbeder was a bit different this time, but he did not dissapoint me.

• Man in the Holocene
  • Moj muž
  • Éducation Européenne
  • იგი
  • დაშლა
  • Isten elfelejtett nyelve, az álom
  • ზინკა ადამიანი
  • Madame Pylinska et le secret de Chopin
  • Жіноче тіло у традиційній культурі українців
  • მზე, მთვარე და პურის ყანა
  • Une fille comme elle
  • Na osami blizu mora
  • Не одам никаде
  • Serotonin
  • Milarepa
  • Rialto, 11: Naufragios y pecios de una librería
  • Dreams of My Russian Summers
  • Montauk
Beigbeder was born into a privileged family in Neuilly-sur-Seine, France. His mother, Christine de Chasteigner, is a translator of mawkish novels (Barbara Cartland et al.); his father, Jean-Michel Beigbeder, is a headhunter. He studied at the Lycée Montaigne and Louis-le-Grand, and later at the Institut d'Etudes Politiques de Paris. Upon graduation at the at the age of 24, began work as an ...more
“Nos vies n'ont pas d'importance, elles coulent au fond du temps, pourtant nous avons existé et rien ne l'empêchera: bien que liquides, nos joies ne s'évaporent jamais.” 3 likes
“Sreća je vrlo jednostavna stvar; treba samo preokrenuti nesreću.” 0 likes