Start by marking “The Fragrance of Surrender: Inspirational Women's Fiction (Souls of the Sea, #1)” as Want to Read:

Read Book

What would cause a woman to stand on the edge of a cliff deciding whether to slip over it or to live another day?

How bad would it have to be?

And what if she can’t turn to God because she believes He’s the root of all her problems?

Set among the fragrant sweet smell of ripening orange tree blossoms, this emotional story is about a woman who battles God for the right to dete
Published November 10th 2015 by Psalms 96:3 Press

To ask other readers questions about The Fragrance of Surrender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fragrance of Surrender

Start your review of The Fragrance of Surrender: Inspirational Women's Fiction (Souls of the Sea, #1)
Christine
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Christine by: author email read-for-review
I would like to thank author April Geremia for inviting me to read her new book and for sending me a free copy in exchange for an unbiased review.

One of my reading goals for 2015 is to read at least a book or two in all genres so that I don’t get stuck in a rut reading nothing but thrillers. So when Ms. Geremia offered me the opportunity to read her Christian inspirational novel I jumped at the chance, having never read a book in this category before.

Fragrance of Surrender is a sweet, message-dr
Lori
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
In the aftermath of her husbands death, a young mother uses the facts of tragedy, loss and grief to make every decision in her life. Afraid to open her mind and heart to anything that might bring additional pain and loss she accepts a life of merely existing instead of living. Returning to the home of her childhood brings unanswered questions regarding her parents mysterious disappearance. Many in the town have left never to return or be heard from again. Where did they go? Why have they never r ...more
Teresa Kander
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
This is Ms. Geremia's debut novel, but you could never tell it from the way she writes. Her style is unique, and she pulls you into the lives and emotions of each of her characters.

Gabriella has suffered many losses in her life, and as a result she is very angry at God. When her young son, Sammy, accepts Christ as his Savior, and begins to spread the word to others, Gabriella gets even more angry, determined not to let God have her only child.

There is also a concurrent plot, as Gabriella begins
Rieppe
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok I want to put it out there that I know the author. I may have felt a need to write a positive review out of love for my friend but I absolutely do not have to do that. This was truly one of my favorite books! I wan't sure if the Christian focus in the book was going to take away from telling a captivating story but April nailed it!! It was suspenseful and the last half of the book I had to read with only absolutely necessary breaks (eat, sleep, work a little) but come back to reading every ch ...more
Kristin Spencer
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book by April Geremia is full of unexpected twists and turns, triumph and heartbreak. It is an emotional roller coaster that the reader will experience as the scent of oranges through the grove become almost real. When I began to read this book, I didn’t think I would like it. To be honest, I found the writing to be overly complex. I prefer simple writing. But the more I read, the more I had to know what happened. The characters won me over, especially Gabriella’s son, Sammy. This book defi ...more
Cassandra
Dec 02, 2015 rated it liked it
What happens when God doesn’t act like we think He should? In April Geremia’s The Fragrance of Surrender, orphaned and widowed Gabriella is angry with God and done with the world. The only thing keeping her from absolute despair is her 10 year old son and now he’s got the God bug. In discovering the reasons behind the mysterious disappearance of her parents 30 years ago, Gabriella also discovers a God who loves. But can she trust that love? Even with her son’s life? The Fragrance of Surrender is ...more
Meghan
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
A reader new to Christian fiction will be pleasantly surprised that this book isn't simply evangelical, but a mystery as well. The story arc is well-developed, as are the characters. There is a nice balance of soul-searching and external dilemma. The setting of rural Mexico by the sea and small-town feel bolster the narrative, which is pleasantly peppered with relevant bible passages that don't feel forced. One minor drawback may be the sudden conversions that take place during impromptu sermons ...more
Linda Husvar
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This stunning and compelling novel told a magnificent story of young Sammy's quest to find and serve his God. Inspired by his deceased father's faith, we see Sammy's struggle to lead his mother, Gabriella, and many other adults to accept Jesus. I liked the dramatic contrast with Gabriella's inability to move beyond her deep-seated grief. The underlying mystery added gripping drama to the book. Highly recommended for those interested in quality Christian fiction. I gratefully received a copy of t ...more
Cammie Klaskin
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
"The Fragrance of Surrender" by April Geremia started slowly but really captured my attention about a third of the way in. It is a mystery with a Christian theme. I really enjoyed the story and found it hard to put the book down. The only downside to me was the way the characters came to believe. The religious aspect was very aggressive and faith was found very fast and abruptly. That was a little too much for me but the story itself was well written and lovely. I was given a copy of this book i ...more
Lillie
The characters are fascinating, the mystery intriguing, the struggles real, the faith--especially of little Sammy-- compelling, and the story inspiring. All in all, well worth reading.

I received an advanced reading copy of the book from the author. There were a number of errors that could have been typos or formatting problems, however, I understand those were corrected in the final version.
Debbie
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had the honor to review this book for the author. This book was totally remarkable. Gabriella and Sammy suffered after the loss of his dad. When they moved back to the home Gabriella grew up in their lives completely changed. Raul and Mona took care of the place without her even knowing it. Watching the struggle Gabriella faces Sammy knows he has to do something to help his mother. What he does will change the life's of a lot of people. You will feel God working throughout this book.
Robin
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. An extremely well written story of painful loss and how Gabriella reacted to it. I had a clear picture of her thinking and why she did what she did. Then, her young son meets God and boy oh boy does this story really take off. How God uses Samuel at his young age is so eye opening and exciting. I highly recommend this story to one and all. Loved it!!!
Linda Rainey
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a powerful book about salvation and God's redeeming grace.
This told by telling Gabriella' and Samuel's story
I loved the characters and my favorite was Samuel and his faith.
Thank you for the advance copy and the opportunity for giving an honest review.
Peggy
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
**SPOILER FREE**

WOW!!! I mean seriously...just... WOW!!! This book is strongly built emotionally. The tissues you will need to read this book.... Touches so close to home in so many ways. This book is absolutely amazing!

*received for an honest review*
April Geremia
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: reviewer-reviews
Reviewed by Deborah Stone for Readers' Favorite

In The Fragrance of Surrender by April Geremia, Gabriella has trouble trying to start life over after the death of her husband, Nicolas. She takes her son, Sammy, and returns to the country and home of her childhood, far away from all the painful memories. High atop the cliffs overlooking the ocean, the scent of orange groves fill the salty air and the little yellow house waits to come to life again. What Gabriella has not considered in her escape f
Wanda (The Watered Soul)
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
How do you petition a God you’ve come to hate and are not even sure exist?

That’s the question we find Gabriella, April Geremia’s central character in The Fragrance of Surrender facing. What is it that would make a loving mother of a young son contemplate death? When life issues her up more loss and pain than she can bear, she's left questioning and quietly drifting between two worlds. Geremia’s book challenges readers to examine their faith how past experiences may be coloring the way we view Go
Susie Q
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
April Geremia writes this interesting but complex book. Soon after Gabriella's husband dies, she turns from God. But her son has an amazing conversion and starts spreading God's word with an evangelist. The Fragrance of Surrender leaves the reader with many questions about God, as seen through the eyes of Gabriella.

Anna Crowe's narration wasn't the best I've heard, but it was ok. The real distraction was the absence of pauses between sections of a chapter and the chapters themselves.

I was given
Norma Iris
April
“This audiobook was given by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review via Audiobook Boom.”

This book features a town in Mexico where a lot of people have disappeared and never were heard from again. A young boy finds God and begins evangelizing. His mother lost faith and is angry. There are many turns in the story. It did seem a bit forced in places.

The narration was well done.The characters were well portrayed.
CarolynB
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
This book has a fairly complex plot that involves greed and Christlessness (is that even a word?) However, through a series of coincedences, Christ is made known. The book is very evangelical. The characters were believable. The one thing I felt negative feelings about was the quickly gained maturity of an eleven year old boy as soon as he became a Christian. I just don't think it happens that quickly. Nevertheless it was a compelling read.
cathy shepherd
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring

This is Very engaging story, it has mystery, pain, rebellion of Gods call. But best of all is the reassurance that we will see our love ones again in the kingdom of heaven, if we accept Christ and believe.
Karen Swanson$zzz-
Irene
Jan 22, 2017
L Gail Dowdy
Oct 13, 2017
Audiobooks: Inspirational Christian Fiction for Review! 3 20 Jan 26, 2016 06:17AM
Free Books, .99, ...: Signed Copy of Book Giveaway 2 17 Dec 22, 2015 11:13AM

• Finding Home
  • The Bikini Car Wash
  • Clouds in my Coffee (The Country Club Murders, #3)
  • There's Something About a Cowboy
  • MAD Librarian
  • Sealed with a Kiss (Emerald Lake Billionaires #1)
  • No Perfect Secret (Almost Perfect, #2)
  • Drawing Free
  • If These Walls Could Talk (Joe Boyd Suspense Series Book 1)
  • Who Wants to Love a Billionaire? (Billionaires in New York, #1)
  • Summer at the Little Cottage on the Hill (The Little Cottage, #2)
  • Hearts and Hoofbeats Box Set: Thoroughbreds and Trailer Trash / Studs and Stilettos
  • Crystal Springs Homecoming Romances: Books 1-3
  • Seaside Secrets (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #4)
  • Seaside Summers: Books 1-3 Boxed Set (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers, #1-3)
  • Kicked to the Curb (Second Chance, #2)
  • The Path to the Sea
  • Crazy for You
April Geremia has made her living as a professional writer for 20 years, and has recently turned her attention toward her true love—fiction. She loves God, her family and friends, the sea, mysteries, and stories of people battling impossible situations. The books in this series, Souls of the Sea, all have those elements in common.

When she’s not writing, you’ll find her coaxing vegetables out of th