Start by marking “RADIO HEAD” as Want to Read:
RADIO HEAD

RADIO HEAD

Shelby Rey can hear you like a song. With one touch, she's in tune with your every hope, every secret. When a celebrity-psychiatrist takes an interest in her case, Shelby comes face-to-face with Zac Wyatt, the lead singer of the world-famous rock band, Grounder. For Zac, success isn't enough though. He wants a shot at his first solo album, fame above and beyond Grounder. B ...more
Published November 27th 2015 by Mill City Press, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about RADIO HEAD, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about RADIO HEAD

Bryce
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I received a copy in exchange for an honest review.

This book sounded really interesting when I first picked it up. I love all things music, so I was immediately interested when I read the synopsis. I went into this book expecting a typical YA book where the MC has a "power", in this case, the power to read people's thoughts or something along the lines. The synopsis is kind of misleading in that way, and I guess I just assumed it was YA. However, that was definitely not the case.

It's really hard
William Aicher
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a huge music fan myself, just reading the description of Radio Head made me sure this was a book I wanted to read. While it did end up being somewhat different of a book from what I had originally expected (much less talk of recorded music, much more just about people making music, etc) it still ended up being a very satisfying read. Tackling issues like drug addiction, mental illness and young power/fame is no easy task, but LaClair does a commendable job here building out a world of rock ...more
Anne Clermont
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced reader copy of RADIO HEAD in exchange for an honest review. From the beginning, I was pulled into a phenomenally written world of Shelby and Zac. Shelby's and Zac's worlds could not be any different than they are, but from the beginning there is something bringing them together: their passion and understanding of music. At first, Shelby is drawn to the music Zac and his band, Grounder, have created, but there is more to it than that. There is an underlying passion and attr ...more
Melissa
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-i-recommend
I won a copy of Radio Head from the Goodreads giveaway. I totally feel in love with this book it is a amazing story of finding the music within us and how we live by music and how it shapes our souls. We all have a song within us and after reading this book Rebecca LaClair has inspired me to find my song. I hope there is a second book I want more of Shelby's and Stanford's story.
Karen White
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was given this book by the author herself at the Oscars gifting suite. It was an enjoyable read and was quite fast paced. The main character was a tough little cookie. It is good to see a strong female lead and we can never have enough of them.
R Thorne
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Radio Head is an unflinching portrait of the world of rock stars, drugs, sexual experimentation, and above all, music--how it influences people and how people with special insight can shape it. The story deserves a mature rating for pervasive language, drug references, and sexual situations.

Laclair skillfully weaves the story of two central characters: (1) Shelby Rey, a 19-year-old woman who struggles to define herself in the wake of her mother's abuse and inattention, finding solace only in the
Rylee
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Margaret
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
From the first sentence of RADIO HEAD--"White-coats say I'm crazy"--I was hooked. Who is this girl, Shelby, who tells us on the first page that music is her only friend? When you consider Shelby's neglectful mother, one step away from living in the streets, it's no surprise. Shelby hears music in her head, but not the way we do, remembering a song we just heard. Shelby hears the music inside other people, and it's both a gift and a curse.

Enter Zac, rock star in the band Grounder, who has fame,
Jason
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Laclairs' ability to create such believable characters, left me at times opening my fist wanting to pimp slap or embrace them. Coming from the music and arts world of Los Angeles, it was very easy for me to follow and relate to this visually charged and locationally correct story. Her flow contains plenty of ups and downs and all arounds. I was at times, sexually charged and emotionally disgusted at the realism in this journey. It would be very hard to make up most of the interactions between th ...more
Beverly Wall
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As I'm short on "me time" I typically listen to my books (currently in love with a particular Highlander) while running. Needless to say, it takes a pretty dang good book for me to take my non-running time to read. This was that book. I couldn't put it down, and neither will you. This book draws you in such that you don't want to let go. It certainly left me wanting more and I can't wait for a sequel.
Yolanda
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hopefully there's a book 2. I feel like they' res more to the main characters story.
D Gillis
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Shelby Rey can hear you like a song. With one touch, she's in tune with your every hope, every secret." We begin this story with Shelby being picked up by the police and taken to the hospital. She begins seeing a psychiatrist who is also treating Zac Wyatt, who is the lead singer of the rock group Grounder. Shelby is a nineteen year old girl who is struggling to find her place in the world. She is missing her deceased father and trying to deal with abuse and abandonment by her mother.
Shelby and
Amy Waeschle
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
The author does a fine job of portraying the lives of a young rock star and a homeless teen and the supporting characters that weave this story together. Great writing, interesting story, especially if you love music. I thought it a little hard to believe at times (such as Shelby being invited to live with her therapists; that Zac would meet Shelby at all, and think she's hot after she's been living on the street for days) but the struggles each character faces are real.
Stacy
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: firstreads
I won this book as a FirstRead.

Shelby Rey has an ability to hear music in people, the music that makes up the essence of who they are, any time she touches another person. This ability has gotten her labeled as crazy by the "white-coats" and at the start of the book, lead to her getting arrested. The psychiatrist who sees her after her arrest, Emily, genuinely wants to help Shelby and sets her up for counseling with her husband, Roland. Zac Wyatt, lead singer of rock band Grounder, is also in co
Janine
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, fiction
I received this book through the goodreads giveaways for an honest review.

Radio Head started really slow for me and ended rather abruptly (maybe there will be a second book?). The middle was great - I couldn't put it down. I liked having chapters from different points of view - especially Roland's.

Alice Bushelle
Great read

Easy fun read!! Exciting and hard to put down
A tad cheesy but still very enjoyable! It's worth the read
Helia Nanashi
Mar 18, 2018
E. Mary
Nov 22, 2015
Rebecca
Nov 27, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: music-book-reccs
Nefertari
Emiley Allen Bowes
Tonia
  • The Stone Lion
  • Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Volume 9 (Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, #9)
  • Chick Bassist
  • Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell: The Dangerous Glitter of David Bowie, Iggy Pop, and Lou Reed
  • Picnic in Eden
  • Chris Stein / Negative: Me, Blondie, and the Advent of Punk
  • Innermost Thoughts of Leah Varner (Innermost Thoughts, #1)
  • Amidst Traffic
  • Camelot & Vine
  • Destiny Denied
  • Jacob's Cellar
  • The Legend of Jesse Smoke
  • The Lotus Files
  • Christmastime 1942
  • F250
  • Hearth Song (Home in the Hills, #2)
  • Jump, Jive, and Wail
  • During the Fall
Rebecca Laclair describes the way music speaks to us, changes us, and validates us in a way that any music lover immediately recognizes.
A music journalist, and Huffington Post contributor, Laclair has short stories published in Gravel, Skyline, and Mixtape Methodology. Her horror story was recently selected Best of Wordhaus (2015).
A Liberal Arts major and graphic design grad, Rebecca rode a motor