Start by marking “Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine, #1)” as Want to Read:
Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine, #1)

Working for the Devil

(Dante Valentine #1)

When the devil needs a rogue demon killed, he calls Dante Valentine--a cross between Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake and Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan--in this sassy debut novel by Saintcrow. Original.
Published March 1st 2006 by Warner Books (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Working for the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Working for the Devil

Jessica
Jul 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Just as every cop is a criminal
And all the sinners saints
As heads is tails
Just call me Lucifer
cause I'm in need of some restraint

I blame Buffy for the rash of ass-kicking, smart-talking, bitchy female vampire slayers and the legions of sidekicks who inexplicably give them unconditional love.

I don't mean to imply that loving Buffy herself was inexplicable. Buffy was something special. Even when she was bitchy, she was prone to saying things like, "I'm cookie dough. I'm not done baking." Even as s
Bradley
Picking up this series kinda blindly, I wasn't really sure where to categorize it in the UF world. Obviously, it's a kick-ass female with magic and blade, but you know how that is. Seen it on the shelves a MILLION TIMES. Huh. Even the blurb just tugs at my old heartstrings for Anita Blake and Rachel Morgan. I thought it was a throwaway blurb.

But then I learned how wrong I was.

Imagine this: It's bladerunnerish, high-tech noir with hovercraft, laser pulse rifles, juicy biotech implants, gene-splic
Gloria Mundi
Based on the author's name and the title I was fully expecting a neo-gothic monstrosity of red velvet, dripping blood and undying love. This sort of thing:

Ironically, the book does feature some red velvet and lots of blood, yet it was surprisingly good nonetheless.

This is the story of Dante "Danny" Valentine, a talented necromance and ass-kicking bounty hunter, who is hired (read forced) by the Prince of Hell himself, Lucifer (the Devil is dressed in black jeans and t-shirt, is barefoot, androgy
Denisa
I can't believe that happened!

For me, the whole book was a 3.5 read. I mean, I really liked it, but it didn't make me feel stuff. And for a rating of 4/5 stars, that is a must. But in the last few pages, something happened! (view spoiler) Wow!!! I would never have guessed that!

Overall, the plot was interesting, the story was fast-paced (despite the fact that I did skim a few paragraphs) and the writing style was engaging. I would have said that I
Pippa DaCosta
Dante Valentine is a cross between Jessica Jones and Kate Daniels.

Bad-ass is her middle name. She's got a closet full of secrets, a broken past, and a big-ass enchanted sword, and she ain't afraid to use it. When the Devil asks her to track down an 'egg', she literally can't refuse. For added kicks, Lucifer has bound Jaf-the-demon to Dante, to 'keep her safe' until the job is done.

I loved this, even if I did find myself scratching my head at a few things. It's fast, dark, edgy, and not your usua
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
There’s something about demon themed Urban Fantasy I just dig up. There’s always such creatively developed worlds, for one thing. This one having Lucifer was a turn off from the blurb as it sounded far-fetched and cheesy, but the way it was done made sense and worked well.

The main focus is on Dante as she tries to uncover, working with the at first unwilling Japhrimel, where the hiding demon is who has killed her former friend and lover and a slew of others. Japh has a vendetta of his own, which
Morgan
May 06, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, paranormal
If it stood alone I would have given it 3 stars.

I had managed to get my hands on book 1 & 4 of this series. Skipping to book four made me so aggravated that I know I will not be picking up 2 or 3. I will also not be finishing book 4. The inconsistencies in the behavior of the main character, and the lack of all the characters I enjoyed by book 4 just totally turned me off.

My problem with the first book just by itself was the fact that the author tried to create her own mythology. It is all f
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Working For The Devil was the perfect book when I needed to read something fast-paced. I’ve been looking for a good Urban Fantasy book for weeks. I tried Touched By An Alien, which was crap. I tried Spider’s Bite, which was crap as well. I didn’t want to try Working for The Devil because of the cover. I think it’s pretty bad.

But don’t be fooled, this book is really good. I’m extremely grateful for my book buddies insisting on me reading it.

Oh those characters. Japhrimel. Dante. Those action sc
Stacey
Jun 16, 2008 rated it did not like it
Tried to expand my horizons in the Urban Fantasy category. This looked really promising, but has turned out to be hard to get into. Written in a future that is not fully explained, with name dropping of made up people, places, and things that don't have any description. Unfortunately, it might never get finished...

Update 10 Oct 08 - I have come to the conclusion that this is one of those that will sit on the shelf until I feel guilty enough to finish it, or maybe the rest of my collection burns
Felicia
Nov 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anita Blake fans, other urban fantasy fans
Loved this book! I cried at the end, really well written and engrossing. NEXT!!
Amy Sumida
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I honestly don't understand the poor reviews of this book. Unless you're not into strong female characters... in which case, maybe don't read a book with a woman wearing a sword on the cover. I love the gritty world of Dante, her traumatic history, and the way she overcomes it all. This isn't just a story about some smart-mouthed, kick-ass heroine (though I love the kick-ass women) this is about a woman who is empowered by being broken, just as her sword is strengthened through the folding of it ...more
W.
I'm a sucker for demons. That said, it took me two attempts to read this book. The first attempt ended after about twenty pages; I set it aside for about a year, and picked it back up again after a long run of reading nothing but YA. I needed some good adult demon action.

The plot is very interesting--but that's really the only thing that compelled me to finish the novel. Danny Valentine herself came across as an enormous, one-dimensional jerk (to put it lightly). When she's met with anything les
Kathryn
Aug 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy, demons
I finished this days ago and have been meaning to write something about it, more along the lines of my impressions since it seems I am incapable of writing true reviews. That is another tangent...I dislike reading reviews that outline a plot or rephrase the book synopsis. I look at reviews of books because I already know what the book is about and I want to hear about reactions and emotions, so I guess traditional reviews tend to bore me.

Anyways...this book reminded me of the first book in Rach
Jamie Collins
Sep 03, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-urban
This one fell flat for me. There was too much magic, for one thing. Sorting through the jargon reminded me of trying to read cyberpunk. I prefer a subtle touch - urban fantasy that's a little more grounded in reality.

The writing was also a little repetitive; for example, I found myself counting how many times Japhrimel told Dante to "Breathe. Just Breathe."

I did like the author's voice, and there was potential in the Dante/Japhrimel relationship, but it didn't go anywhere beyond: "I have every r
Lauren Stoolfire
If you're a fan of urban fantasy, you will absolutely need to try Working for the Devil, the first of the Dante Valentine series by Lilith Saintcrow. This particular series features necromancy and demons which I haven't read much of in fantasy, but I really enjoyed how the author handled the cast of characters. I also liked that there's a bit of a futuristic element as well. I believe I'll eventually be continuing this series with Dead Man Rising.
Rebecca McNutt
Spooky, thrilling and twistedly imaginative, Working for the Devil is a compelling and powerful beginning to a creative and dark story.
Anne
Jul 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Hmmm. Kinda disappointed with this one. When I first started reading it I thought it had some serious potential, but by the end I was not really impressed.
The story is (I believe) set in the future, or at the very least in a world very similar to our world. The jury is still out for me on whether or not the fact that they had hovercrafts and such was cool, or just an unnecessary distraction.
Dante (or Danny) is a necromance who moonlights as a bounty hunter to help pay the bills. Cool. She's a p
Unapologetic_Bookaholic
Nov 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of futuristic/supernatural romance, demons
Recommended to Unapologetic_Bookaholic by: Paranormal and Urban Fantasy Monthly Reads Group on GR
The only thing for me that was hard to digest was the futuristic language that was wrapped around every material, object and person's job title.

Dante Valentine is a Necromance(able to raise spirits of the dead and relate their final wishes) and a bounty hunter. She is contracted by The Prince of Hell (Lucifer) and given a demon familiar (who needs blood, sex or fire to live). She is ordered to retrieve an artifact called the Egg from Santino, a serial killer she has crossed paths with before.

T
Shelley
Apr 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People who hate their brains
This is possibly the worse book I've had the misfortune to read. I wrote a (very) long review for Amazon about how terrible this book was, but that review has disappeared into the ether after I submitted it and it went for 'review'. I think it was longer than some essays I've written. Suffice to say I don't have the energy to do that again. But the key points:
* Poor, poor writing style including basic grammatical mistakes
* Vastly unlikeable or sympathetic 'heroine'
* Plot holes you could drive a
Inara
What would be your answer when Lucifer, Prince of Hell would offer you a job and you get two options: if you dont take it you would be killed or if you take it you could be killed? Right! Dante Valentine a necromance and bounty hunter chooses the second possiblity at least shed have a chance to survive. An important artifact the "Egg" has been stolen by the demon Vardimal Santino from Hell and Dantes task is to hunt Santino down, kill him, grab the Egg and bring it back to Lucifer. Seems easy en ...more
Jess
Dec 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Fantastic!! Went out and bought this the other day after seeing some of my friends had it on the their to read list. Bought it, and read it within a day. Then before I even finished this one, I already bought the second book.

This story is about a necromance called Dante Valentine. She is considered one of the best necromance's in the world. So good in fact, that the devil himself has asked her to do him a favor. He wants her to kill a demon who has escaped from hell, and has stolen what he calls
Karen Healey
Jun 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
I love me some urban fantasy where the worldbuilding has been carefully considered and there's years of history that support the difference between those worlds and ours. If you have vampires and paranormals and demons wandering around, it pays to have thought about how that has greatly affected the economy, social services, government and law enforcement.

Lilith Saintcrow produces probably the best worldbuilding I've ever seen in adult urban fantasy. So much so that I could forgive her (awesome
Linnea
Jun 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
I can't. I just can't. This book is so infuriatingly awful. The world has potential, as does the plot but the main character is so BAD. She gets angry at the most inappropriate times. It is so unbelievable it knocks me out of the story. She makes no sense. I have never wished to return a kindle book so bad.
Μαρία Γεωργοπούλου
A very good start in an uf series!
Kat  Hooper
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at FanLit:

Dante Valentine is a freelance Necromance — clients hire her to communicate with dead people so they can solve murders, settle estate disputes, etc. When the Devil wants to hire Dante to find a rogue demon named Vardimal Santino, and to recover the important object he’s stolen from Hell, he gives her no choice but to obey. Dante doesn’t want to work for the devil, but she does want to keep living. To help with that, the Devil as
Tara
Dec 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I'm very impressed. Usually the first book in a UF series leaves me unimpressed and reluctantly reaching for the next one in hopes of improvement. Not so with this book. Working for the Devil is the first book in Lilith Saintcrow's Dante Valentine Series. Dante Valentine (a female, as is her friend Gabe, by the way) is a necromance-for-hire. This book is set in a what seems like a distant future, but seems very much like the basic future a lot people use (ie. plasma rifles and hover crafts, and ...more
Elizabeth
I picked this book up because I finished Living With The Dead while visiting my in-laws and wanted something new to read for the trip back. It was one of those books I always picked up, thought looked interesting, but never quite got around to reading- probably because it seemed like more of the same old, same old I get from so many other urban fantasy authors.

It was not.

Saintcrow blends sci-fi and fantasy pretty seamlessly, creating a world where hover crafts and cyber-age drugs blend with de
Shelley
Oct 11, 2010 rated it liked it
I've read this authors Jill Kismet series, and decided to try to read this series. I've read other peoples reviews, and found this book to be pretty good, although, not excellent. I do apppreciate the world building that Ms Saintcrow characters find themselves in. Dante's character is a hard-as-nails necromance. I, did, however, find her incesant whining grating. My other problem with this character? Why is it that writers have to "change" the main character from human to something else? I mean, ...more
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uf
I recently bought the complete Dante Valentine series. Book 1 starts with Dante Valentine, a powerful Necromancer and bounty hunter on the side, who gets a offer she can't refuse from the Prince of Hell himself - although in this future world, Hell and demons aren't exactly the Christian brimstone type, although they aren't altruistic either. We meet Dante's friends, allies, a former lover with unresolved issues, and did I mention she is tracking a serial-killer demon? Gritty, cool world and mag ...more
NyxShadow
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: relecture
Du bonheur de reprendre cette série... et j'avais oublié plein de choses !
Vaginal Fantasy B...: Working for the Devil 9 153 Nov 27, 2012 08:27PM
  • The Devil's Due (Morgan Kingsley, #3)
  • The Taste of Night (Signs of the Zodiac, #2)
  • Mark of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #1)
  • Biting the Bullet (Jaz Parks, #3)
  • Night's Cold Kiss (Dark Brethren, #1)
  • Demon Bound (Black London, #2)
  • Wicked Game (WVMP Radio, #1)
  • Dark Time (Mortal Path, #1)
  • Hell's Belles (Hell on Earth, #1)
  • Three Days to Dead (Dreg City, #1)
  • Darkness Calls (Hunter Kiss, #2)
  • Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1)
  • Trick of the Light (Trickster, #1)
  • Bitter Night (Horngate Witches, #1)
  • Blood Drive (Anna Strong Chronicles, #2)
  • Chill Factor (Weather Warden, #3)
Lilith Saintcrow was born in New Mexico, bounced around the world as a child, and fell in love with writing when she was ten years old. She and her library co-habitate in Vancouver, Washington.

Dante Valentine (5 books)
  • Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, #2)
  • The Devil's Right Hand (Dante Valentine, #3)
  • Saint City Sinners (Dante Valentine, #4)
  • To Hell and Back (Dante Valentine, #5)
“It truly sucks to doubt your friends when you only have one or two of them, I realized.” 41 likes
“He wiped away the tears, tenderly, and I forgot to weep as he told me silently everything I always wanted to hear. ” 39 likes