Start by marking “Margaret and Margarita/Margarita y Margaret” as Want to Read:
Margaret and Margarita/Margarita y Margaret

Margaret and Margarita/Margarita y Margaret

Margaret and Margarita
Margarita Y MargaretMargaret speaks English but not Spanish. Margarita speaks Spanish but not English. Can they still play? Of course they can! Join two robust girls who aren't about to let anything spoil their fun.
Published August 23rd 1996 by Greenwillow Books (first published September 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Margaret and Margarita/Margarita y Margaret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Margaret and Margarita/Margarita y Margaret

Osamantha
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: text-set
Margaret and Margarita is a Realistic Fiction piece about two girls who go to the park and meet by chance. One girl, Margaret speaks only English, while the other girl Margarita speaks only Spanish. The two girls become fast friends despite their language barrier and even end up learning a few words in the other's language. The book is told both in Spanish and English from the respective character's perspective. The language is very simple, with phrases being spoken in one language and then repe ...more
Paige Liukko
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This is a cute book that can help students to learn Spanish, or vice versa help them to learn English. The story show a friendship between two girls, Margaret and Margarita, who meet at the park, but neither can speak the others language. The book goes through and shows sentences in both English and Spanish. Great book for any multilingual classroom!
TaNera Rodriguez
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book to my daughter and she loved it. I smiled the whole way through because I thought it was great to see that though these two girls had two different backgrounds and home languages they were still alike in many ways. I think that's important in this day and age.
Lisa
Fun to read in Spanish & English
Natalie Samuels
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fiction
Teach about making new friends even if there is a language barrier. This book is dual language.
Zainab
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A wonderful story about friendship. It tells us language shouldn't be a barrier to making new friends.
Courtney Hatch
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet bilingual book teaching kids to make friends with everybody no matter their language and culture.
Jessica Breighner
Margaret and Margarita
by, Lynn Reiser
1. Brief Summary:
2. Potential Audience:
Reading level is intended for ages 4-8
Topic is friends playing together who speak different languages
Genre is fiction
3. Specific Curricular Uses:
Guided reading: to help with the new words
Independent reading: for student’s to inv
Alxandra
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another neat bilingual book that I read as an adult to help teach me Spanish.

The book's premise provides a unique bilingual method. 2 girls, Margaret who speaks English and Margarita who speaks Spanish, meet at a park and become friends. Essentially, the book goes back and forth between Margaret (English) and Margarita (Spanish). They essentially say the same thing, one in English and one in Spanish, but not always. But from context and pictures, it is always very easy to figure out what was sa
Katie
Oct 12, 2009 added it
1. Summary: Margaret speaks English but not Spanish. Margarita speaks Spanish but not English. Can they still play? Of course they can! Join two robust girls who aren't about to let anything spoil their fun.

2. Reading level is intended for ages 4-8.

3. Genre is fiction

4. Specific Curricular Uses:
Independent reading: for student’s to investigate new words
Shared reading: investigating and learning from one another
Read aloud: For the younger students because of the new language

5. Social Issues the
Amy B.
Jul 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: early childhood educators/ parents of young children
Reiser, L. (1993). Margaret and Margarita. Greenwillow Books.

A story of friendship shows how language does not have to be a barrier. The text is presented in both English and Spanish. The picture clues make it easy to interpret and cue in on the unfamiliar language. The children converse, play and enjoy each others company as they create a friendship together. I would suggest this book to use with children ages two and up to discuss language, culture and friendship. I enjoyed reading the story a
Kelsey Vayens
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This picture book tells the story of two young girls. Both speak different languages, but they still want to play together despite the language barrier. This book shows that no matter what language you speak, friendship is universal. I feel that this book is a great book that can address bilingualism in the classroom. I understand that there will be student from various cultures that will make up my classroom, and I would definitely use this book to address that despite the language you speak or ...more
Ashley Courtemanche
Oct 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was great. it shows the English and Spanish languages. Its about two girls that meet at the park. They have the same things in common with one another. Every page that is in English is also in Spanish. children can relate to it because they go to the park, they might meet some new friends. You can do many extension activities from the book by teaching Spanish words in the classroom.
Erin Saaranen
This book is about two girls, Margaret and Margarita, who meet at the park one afternoon. One girls speaks English, the other speaks Spanish, and they become the best of friends in that afternoon at the park.

It's good to teach different languages in the classroom, especially from a young age. I'd read this to kindergarteners, making sure to read the Spanish as well, to immerse them into a new language.
Marg-Lo
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this sweet book! I checked it out from the library because I'm trying to teach my four-year-old son some Spanish, and we have had a lot of fun with it! It's a great starter book for children learning Spanish because it's about two little girls (one who speaks English and one who speaks Spanish) who express the same/similar ideas in different languages. I particularly appreciate the positive message about cross-cultural friendships.
Sarah Kasper
Jan 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: bilingual
I love this book because it is relevant to what is going on in classrooms today. There are many diverse classrooms and this book would be a great tool for helping students learn that kids who do not look like them might actually be very much like them! This is a great book to read early on to students so they can realize the importance of getting to know someone who comes from a different background.
Christie Suh
This is a fictional book about two girls, Margaret and Margarita who meet in the park and have fun playing together. Margaret only speaks English and Margarita only speaks Spanish. Even though they don’t speak the same language, they still have fun playing with one another. This book is written in English and in Spanish.
Chelsey Brown
This is a great book to integrate another language into children's lives. It also is a great book to show that just because someone might not speak the language you do or look the same way you do, that you can still be friends and play together. This is a really good book to start talking about different cultures with also.
Heather
I really dont know if i would use this book in my classroom. The reasoning being and summary of this book is that there are two little girls that are friends and on speaks English and the other speaks Spanish. Margaret will speak something in English and then Margarita say the same thing back or say the answer in spanish.
Dolly
Jul 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun story, about the power of children to overcome language barriers, make friends, and learn a little about each other. The story is told in both Spanish and English and it is a great way to reinforce learning in either language, with simple words and polite phrases. It's a fun book to read aloud, especially if you can pronounce the words properly!
Lucia Benzor
Nov 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book was about friendship. Two girls who don't speak the same language manage to communicate through play and even teach each other new words in their language. Bilingual so the readers can learn new words too. Nice addition to a friendship text set or multicultural friendship text set.
Marlee
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. I've read it to my children many times. A great story for children learning English or Spanish. Whether they could understand the other language or not, they would still be able to understand the story. It's simple and straightforward.
Amber
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Found this last June and can't wait to use this year with my ESOL students as a first-day-of-school book - I love the simple but powerful way that learning each others' language is shown, English in red, Spanish in blue, and the colors blend as the languages interact - gorgeous.
Rebecca Martin
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: esol, friendship
This is a good book to keep in the classroom especially if you have an ESOL student because it is written in English and Spanish. The teacher can ask the ESOL student(s) to help her read the Spanish to the class. This book would be fun for the other students to learn a few Spanish words.
Frances
I bought this book from the scholastic book catalogue when I was in 7th grade because it was bilingual. I guess it's no surprise I turned out how I am.

I like Margaret and Margarita better now then when I was 12. Back then I didn't like the Spanglish parts!
Ald
Oct 02, 2008 rated it liked it
The messages are making friends, simelarities and differences. Good for ages 3-7. I whould use this book
Savannah
Jul 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Fun book that incorporates english and spanish. My son has been interested in spanish since he occasionally watches Dora. He enjoyed this book.
Angela
Bilingual children's book: 2 children meet, combine their vocabulary to learn each other's words and get their mothers to overcome their shyness toward each other. 32086 00446 9525 at CH.
Jane
May 13, 2008 added it
Recommended to Jane by: Gail Totten
Fun to read with James.
Heather
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
While I don't know Spanish, it was fun to read this bilingual book to my daughter. I always introduce her as "Margarita" to Spanish speakers, so I thought this would be a good book for her.