Start by marking “Catch a Ghost (Hell or High Water, #1)” as Want to Read:
Catch a Ghost (Hell or High Water, #1)

Catch a Ghost

(Hell or High Water #1)

8 hrs 3 mins

Everyone knows that Prophet—former Navy SEAL, former CIA spook, full-time pain in the ass—works alone and thinks only about the trouble he can cause. But his boss, Phil Butler of Extreme Escapes, LTD., has just assigned Proph not only a new partner but also a case haunted by ghosts from Proph’s past. Suddenly, he’s got to confront them both head on.
Audible Audio, 9 pages
Published December 16th 2015 by Audible Studios (first published September 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Catch a Ghost, please sign up.
Brittany I don't think that happens at all. They pretty much stay centered around each other for the duration, although previous lovers do pop up and there is…moreI don't think that happens at all. They pretty much stay centered around each other for the duration, although previous lovers do pop up and there is a power struggle, but I don't think it's like what you're describing. I will say, be warned, this series is not finished. There are supposed to be 4 books but only 3 of them are written. (less)

Julio Genao
this book, in a single, comprehensive infographic:

description

this book, in a single, superficial paragraph:

there's a sense of humor here, and i appreciated it. but overall i didn't appreciate the wildly caricatured expression of gay masculinity, and felt really quite extraordinarily othered by yet another pair of White Dudes Punching Each Other Bcuz Mutual Attraction, Obvs.

bonus paragraph of further thoughts on the matter:

there's nothing wrong with a bit of fun, and certainly nothing especially wrong with this bit of fun in particular. but i was doomedObvs.
bonus
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Price drop to $0.99 at Amazon US until B&N until 10/23/14!

*3.5 stars*

This was a very interesting read for me and I had trouble deciding upon a rating in the end. Was it well written? Yes, for sure. Did it sit well with me? Not completely.

Let me try to break my feelings down for y'all.

- The beginning. I really loved how this book started out. Very, very strong similarities to Cut & Run: Alpha males being paired together for a dangerous mission, more or less against their will.
Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog
~ ~ ~

::RE-READ 2015::

You can join in here - OPERATION RE-READ

When I picked this book up I really had no idea what it was all about. Turns out this is like sexy G.I. Joe play, espionage and he-man hero stuff all rolled in to one very, very sexy package. At first I felt like I came into this from the side. It was clear there was history (see Bound By Honor) with one of the main characters, but I kept on and it all laid out clearly.

What you need to know:

EE – Extreme Escapes, LTD is a merc for hire firm. They help people.
Tom and Prophet are mercs~
Erth
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much I immediately purchased the second book of the series. Tom was a field operative for the FBI and a deputy sheriff in his native Louisiana. He joins a merc outfit to be paired with another operative, Prophet, who was former Seals and CIA. Prophet was as stubborn and annoying as Tom and neither man liked to work with partners. They were assigned to a mission that had them looking into the death of the brother of Prophet's dead childhood friend.

The book is a th
Wendy
4,5

I have read this whole series many times already, but with book 4 finally coming out...I just had to do another re-read. It has been a long wait but it seems like it's really gonna happen this time !! I can't wait for more Prophet and Tommy.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor hearts in eyes gif

I fell in love with both men, the moment I met them in this awesome first book. Now before you start...these books are no stand alone and they should be read in order ;)

I am a huge sucker for the hot as hell alpha man, and what's even better than 1 delicious hot alpha dude...
Ingie
Written October 18, 2013

5 Huge Stars - OMG this is so G.O.O.D. - it's amazing smart, hot and so very intense - I'm hooked

Anything less than five stars would be a joke. This is so good and these guys have an intensity and an incredible raw attraction to each other. Big thanks to Monique who recommended this one.
‘He'd known it from the second he'd heard Tom's drawl and had forced himself to act the opposite way, figuring if he pretending he couldn't stand the guy that his body would decide to agree with his brain.
As usual, his
hooked
Anything2013
Mona
Sometimes spoilers are a given...

"I liked you better when you were an asshole."

description

What the FUCK did I just read?! I’m blown away by this book...BRAIN fried, from the intensity and rush I just experienced from this AMAZING story!
description

"What are you looking for? My attention? because you've got it. You had it when you walked into EE."

description

I’m finished with the book, but I’m still living the story. My heart is racing; my mind is scrambling to link evclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
book...given...
Monique
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt
BRAVO Ms. Jakes!!! Excellent… an exciting plot full of action with two gun wielding, knife carrying deliciously HOT Alpha males, both damaged souls finding passion and solace in the arms of each other... no love yet, but this is a fabulous start and I am incredibly excited about this series!

Catch a Ghost

There are two authors that are responsible for my addiction, obsession and all consuming pas
SheReadsALot
A Hearts On Fire Review

FOUR & A HALF STARS--Confession: On the paranormal totem pole, psychic...well psychic anything are pretty much at the bottom for me. When others go wild over psychic law enforcement reads, I stare blankly and try to tiptoe very softly away. And you know what else I'm not a fan of? Ghosts in my romance. In fact, the psychic P.I./detective hybrids are right there with ghosts. I've read them but they're not really my go-to type of read. I can count on one hand how many of those reads that I reallSTARS--/>FOUR
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Let’s pow wow about Catch a Ghost, shall we?
description

The main gripe most have is it’s similar to Cut & Run. Agreed. The characterizations of Tommy and Prophet and even some of their relationship development too, but I’m not going to belabor this point. Either you’ve read one or the other or both and if you’ve read both, you know. So, for me that knocked it down to 1 s
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***4.5 Stars***

There wasn't anger in Prophet, rather an inherent wildness that Tom had no desire to tame. No, he wanted to ride it, imbibe it, fuck it senseless, and watch it grow wilder.

First off, can I just address that ending?!?!?

This book was so much more than I expected!

Two Alpha males fighting for dominance, fighting to solve a mystery, fighting their pasts and fighting every ounce of emotion they feel when they're tStars***
Duchess Nicole
"You don't know what you're alive for until you know what you would die for."
--Martin Luther King, Jr.

So fantastically excited that I finally read this. I'm already in the middle of book two but forced myself to stop reading and write this review, just so I don't get the books mixed up in my head.

I loved the opening scene of this book...the interrogation room, and the intense moment that Tom gets his first glimpse of Prophet...the real Prophet, in all his glory and madness.

Tom is the new recruit to a top secret s
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
4 Mar 2017: Reread numero cinco, a continuation in prep to the newness coming next month.

There are a number of small moments, single phrases, and beginnings in this story that come to mean so much as these characters move forward. Just as strongly, they grow in emotional significance every time I enter their world.

Proph's grey eyes.

When he calls Tommy "Cajun"... or "T".

Just as the phrase "daylight again" appears in Free Falling, the phrase "if I ever" stak
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
No HEA?!?! You've gotta be kidding me. All that, and no HEA?

Lack of HEA aside, this book gets a reluctant (and I mean reluctant!) three stars from me. The plot was overly convoluted, so much so that it rang nonsensical. It was never explained why exactly Prophet and Tom were investigating the death of a kid from the streets (yes, Prophet knew him, but so what?).

I liked the chemistry between Prophet and Tom, although the POV jumped too much, sometimes every other paragraph, and because the two
Breann
Catch a Ghost started out strong, really strong. Then it kept going and going and going… You know when you are constantly checking the kindle to see how much time you have left? That was me for the final hour.

We have two hot alpha males, reluctantly partnered up for an investigation. One is obviously defiant and has no interest in pleasing others. The other seems okay on the outside but is royally messed up on the inside. They remind you of anyone?

Yeah, so I should have loved it, an
Eva
Loved... Review to come

Hope it will be amazing smart

hot

and very intense

Following by more books from "Hell or High Water" series
Long Time Gone and
Daylight Again

Something to look forward to...

Very exciting
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5--Fucktastic--Stars!!!!

SQQQQUUUUUUEEEEE!!! Oh how I loved Prophet and Tom. HARD!!! They are both such tortured, damaged, dangerous souls.

Their banter between each other...

Prophet and Tom are forced to be partners...unwillingly.

“Way I figure it, if I'm forced to have a partner, might as well have one with benefits. If you're annoying me, fucking you will be more satisfying than punching you." Prophet gri4.5-- ...more
Gina
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, suspense, favorites
This was an awesome book! This was an intense, riveting, steamy, heartbreaking story. And i am going to parrot what my good friend Tina said in one of her status updates of this book, this couple is at the top of my fav couple list, right up there with Ty and Zane! I may like Tom and Prophet a little bit more right now. OMG I am in love!!

This book has everything I love and crave in a story, suspense, steam, broken tortured characters my heart melts for. Very quickly into this story I was immedi
Sheziss
[image error]

I was prepared for a pair of bad guys.

But prejudice was there first.

It was VERY similar to the Cut & Run series. Two special agents being partened together against their wishes. Biting at each other’s necks. Quarreling at every chance. Insta-chemistry (the one out of the bed). Permanent snark.

Prophet is a veteran in Extreme Escapes.

[image error]

I was prepared for a pair of bad guys.

But prejudice was there first.

Prophet is a veteran in Extreme Escapes.

Tommy is new in the game.

Prophet sees ghosts.

Tommy has premonitions.

Prophet doesn’t want to be recognized more than necessary. Tommy has tattoos and piercings on his body. Both have a hard past. Both have secrets. And neither wants to share them.

They are two alpha males trying to have the upper hand over the another in every aspect of their lives. The “I’m best” crap can be funny if well done, but here the rivalry was exaggerated, cartoonish even.

It’s ridiculous the way the author tried to portray their expertise in every fact. I don’t buy it, at least, I don’t buy it if written in this way. I kept the first third of the book rolling my eyes. They were the most in everything, the best at this and that. It unnerved me.

So, in my eyes, this book was not going to succeed.

Fortunately, I’m happy to say I could forget the reminiscence of Ty and Zane once I was able to immerse into the story. The comic feeling didn’t fade but it got comfortable to read, so in the end I enjoyed it a lot.

But then Prophet (view spoiler) and he has to (view spoiler) and that’s too Ty-and-Zane-ish I was back to Earth in seconds. Also, Cillian reminded me of X from Zero at the Bone.

I couldn’t shake the feeling this book was made from parts of other books.

I’m not fond of mystery and suspense, so I usually overlook that part in a book. The case is curious because it involves Prophet’s past, but apart from that I didn’t care much about it. Well, it was an excuse to boast Tommy’s skill in fighting and Prophet’s skill in attracting males without snapping his fingers.

So if I’m being so judgmental, why did I even like this book? It’s easy to answer: because of the MC. Yes, I said a lot of things against them, but I can’t deny I feel attracted to them, even in my supposedly blind state my critizism gives me.

And please, the sex was hot.

I loved the chemistry between them. I loved the sex scenes. I loved the touches, the brushes, the kisses, the “You mean nothing-to-me-but-sex” lies. I loved the dynamics of their relationship. I even loved their secrets. I’m hooked and I want to know more about them.

So, to summarize it all.

Did I like it? Yes.

Did it blow my mind? No.

Was it good? Yes.

Did I feel this one was original? No.

Would I read the second part? Yes!!!

Bev

Woohoo!! At last Prophet's story, and what a story it was. 5 stars, a huge and let's have a little visit from those wonderful dancing girls

All I can say is I love this series (so far) just as much as Men of Honour AND Free Falling, Proph has definitely met his match in Tom and I can't wait for book 2 next month...bring it on!!
Elizabetta

Ebetta: Oh, chère Ilhem, we come to this one with heavier hearts than our last joint review… These guys let us down in a big way. What’s the problem? I think we were just bored!

Ilhem: Oh my God! I was bored out of my mind!

Ebetta: LOL!! Okay, okay, calm down… Let’s put in a few good words and then we’ll let ‘er rip, ‘kay?

Let’s see… what did I like... I liked Tom, not so much Prophet, but more about that later… Tommy just seemed easier to get to know, I like that he is Cajun and needs to prove hi/>:/>:
Gigi
A more detailed review can be found at the sequel's page Long Time Gone but I did want to mention that this book is meant to be read as a companion piece with the sequel Long Time Gone. There is no resolution to the MC's relationship in this edition of the series. Catch a Ghost tells us Prophet's story, a character from Free Falling, and introduces us to MC Tom.

This was a fun read for me because it was a favorites book showdown with my GoodReads friend JustJen! She read Point of No Return and the sequel Breaking Point and I read Free Falling and the HelTom.
Jewel
I am so glad I have the next two books in this series all ready to read, because if I didn't I'd be wondering what the fucking fuck fuck fuck that ending was about!??! Seriously, what the hell? I just know that I'm going to wish I would have waited until after If I Ever was out to read this series, but I'm sucked in now, so here we go!

Both Prophet and Tom are very damaged guys. Tom feels responsible for the deaths of 3 partners from his FBI days (though he isn't responsible at all) and
Isabel
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, favorite-mm, erotica
The beginning of this book reminded me of another one, same kind of characters, same plot... however, as the story went by, this book became different and very interesting! I had some difficulties catching up with the writing, but after some time I got it and I enjoyed it very, very much!

Prophet and Tom are partners in a private agency, and they developed a "thing"... I don't want to call it a relationship, cause I guess that even them don't know what they are doing! But they like each other very much and a
* Meli Mel *
DNF at 40%

I tried, I really did. As much as I wanted to like this, I just couldn't. I kind of had to force myself to keep reading which sucks. I think the problem was that this reminded me TOO much of another book from a series that I absolutely love. I tried not to compare, but it was just WAY simliar to it. And things were moving way too fast. Oh, well, can't love them all. But on the bright side, Tommy and his p
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, mm, bosl

Review written for The Blog of Sid Love - 4.5 stars

I will start by saying that I have loved Prophet from his very first appearance in the Men of Honor series. He was mysterious but could always be counted on to get the job done and provide whatever support was necessary. We never actually got very much detail about him; just enough to give a slow build up to this story. Needless to say, I’ve been looking forward to it for a long time.

This book could easily be read as a stand-alone and start to
Marte - Thunderella

~~~~~ update December 22, 2015 ~~~~

Audio edition, narrated by Adam North
8 hours and 3 min

Overall: 4
Performance: 3,5
Story: 4

I was excited about this whole series being done in audio, and they were all released recently this December. I originally rated this book 3,5 stars, but I've bumped up my rating, since I've read the whole series and have grown to love Prophet and Tom and I feel this first book deserves more than 3,5 stars.

The Hell & High Water series is the only work of Adam North on Audible, so he's a new narrator for me. He does a g3,5
Story:4
Performance:min
Overall:North

Trisha Harrington
I wasn't expecting to love this book as much as I did. I don't know why, I just had that feeling. So I put of reading this for a long time. And I mean a long time. It's been ages since I first saw this book, and it's been a while since I bought it. I'm regretting it now. Seriously, this was an amazing read! I'm so annoyed I didn't give it a chance sooner.

I love Prophet and Tommy. Absolutely love them. They're so good together. I love the chemistry between them, and the sex is smoking hot. I was in the mood
Angela Bee Bee
$0.99 on Amazon-->Catch a Ghost (Hell or High Water Book 1)

This is very similar to Cut & Run, and I was just as confused and befuddled here as the
Barbara
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Barbara by: Ingela
Shelves: m-m

Okay… Prophet had already made an impression in Free Falling, and also I just love MM romance with tough guys and the cover captured me, and this was just what I needed to satisfy my action adventure apetite!!!

The chemistry between these two kept me flying through the book !!
Mission, fights, love, sex, secrets and voodoo….I loved it all and can’t wait to read more!
Catch a Ghost was a mystery and a hot sexy ride.

My Prophet...

The chemistry between these two kept me flying through the book !!
Catch a Ghost was a mystery and a hot sexy ride.

My Prophet...
 photo 86d2e237218e7a70252f4242e65add42_zps6ac9110e.jpg

My Tom ...
 photo d7a8438fd9087348f96ef2471aac8c22_zps34b11074.jpg
Operation Re-Read - Hell or High Water Series by SE Jakes 1 11 Jun 18, 2015 05:30PM
Lorelei James & O...: Catch A Ghost Buddy Read 19 14 May 13, 2014 03:52PM
Buddy Read: Lili, Pervy, Meli Mel 04/28/14 103 24 Apr 30, 2014 12:12PM

• Six Degrees of Separation (By Degrees, #2)
  • Touch & Geaux (Cut & Run, #7)
  • Houseboat on the Nile (Spy vs. Spook, #1)
  • Special Forces - Veterans (Special Forces, #3)
  • Rack & Ruin (THIRDS, #3)
  • Safeword (Power Exchange, #2)
  • Hostile Ground
  • Strength of the Pack (The Tameness of the Wolf, #1)
  • Collusion (Diversion #2)
  • Whiskey and Wry (Sinners, #2)
SE Jakes writes m/m romance. She believes in happy endings and fighting for what you want.

You can contact her the following ways:

You can email her at authorsejakes@gmail.com

You can post to her Facebook page: Facebook.com/SEJakes

You can Twitter her: Twitter.com/authorsejakes

You can post on her Goodreads Group: Ask SE Jakes

You can follow her on Tumblr: http://sejakes.tumblr.com

You can ask her a

Hell or High Water (4 books)
  • Long Time Gone (Hell or High Water, #2)
  • Daylight Again (Hell or High Water, #3)
  • If I Ever (Hell or High Water #4)
“I'm Prophet."

"Seriously?"

"Why? What's your name--Jesus?”
54 likes
“Way I figure it, if I'm forced to have a partner, might as well have one with benefits. If you're annoying me, fucking you will be more satisfying than punching you." Prophet grinned, then added slyly, "And I could punch you afterwards.” 51 likes