Start by marking “The Lost Kodas (Apley Towers #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Kodas (Apley Towers #1)

The Lost Kodas

(Apley Towers #1)

In the shade of the Giant's Throne Mountain, and on the coast of the Indian Ocean, Port St. Christopher is home to Apley Towers; a riding school for girls and boys, young or old, who learn what it means to be a true horse rider.Kaela and Trixie call Apley Towers their Neverland. It's the best place in the world - a place for friendship, laughter and learning. But when both ...more
Published November 25th 2015 by Sweet Cherry Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Kodas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Kodas

Rachael
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
You can find my review on my blog here (& below):

‘Apley Towers, The Lost Kodas’ by Myra King is the first in a series of middle-grade novels about a riding school in South Africa. I received a free copy of this book to read and review via Goodreads Giveaways.

Apley Towers is a riding school deep in the heart of South Africa. It is run by Wendy, who moved from England to Africa to set up her own school. Kaela Willoughby and her best friend Trixie King ar
Carol Earp
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
‘Apley Towers,’ ‘The Lost Kodas’ by Myra King is the first book in the series aimed at young teenagers. Given I know nothing about the ‘horse’ world, I wasn’t sure what to expect from this series. For me, these books seriously needed to deliver on plot, characters and readability if they were to sustain my interest. And they certainly did that, in bucket-loads.

I’m not entirely sold on the use of Prologues, but this one is short and works really well, by setting the scene. Set in the Apley Towers
Alexis Webb
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book in the Goodreads giveaway.

Considering I am a bit outside the age range for this book, I found that I actually quite enjoyed it. It took me back to my childhood favourites, when I used to read all the Pony Club type books.

That said, I am also a horse rider, and there were a few bits that kind of niggled at me in regards to the horsey bits. Maybe they learn to ride differently in SouthAfrica?

I also thought Wendy was a bit inconsiderate, expecting two 14 year olds to run prett
Kat
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Won in a Goodreads competition.

I think this book contains a brilliant story about growing up and how important it is to carry on doing the things you love, and to not let future plans get in the ways of friendships. I really recommend this to anyone who is currently having to make important decisions in their lives, and even to parents whose children are making those decisions too. And, for people who aren’t fans of horse, don’t be put off! Yes, it does all take place at a Riding School, but I t
Jackie
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We really enjoyed this book. I won this through GoodReads and used it as one of the kids' bedtime reads. The characters were very believable and loveable. The friendship between Kaela and Trixie is lovely and then they add Phoenix, which is fab! We would like to have known more about Bart and Kaela but maybe that happens in the following - we will see. We really enjoyed the little tournament too and the young characters were great too!
Danboughen
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to win this in a Goodreads competition and I am genuinely glad that I did. The characters are well rounded and believable and the story is very well constructed. Would certainly not hold back in recommending this book to anyone. At 185 pages, it's not the longest book in the world but is perfect for a weekend treat. Will certainly be looking out for the next installment :) :)
Tracey Simpson
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young ladies
I wasn't reading about Kaela; I was Kaela. I was a daydreamer with too much on my plate and my freedom was Quiet Fire. Apley Towers sent my mind straight back to my own days as a horse rider, I felt the freedom of the ride - back then and again through this charming book.

- Tracey Simpson, Journalist

Johannesburg, South Africa
Seawood
Drawing on the author's experience of multiple cultures, this book will certainly appeal to horsey and animal-loving children from Y4-Y6. There are some great themes around friendship and responsibility here, as well as a look at life in South Africa and Indigenous Canada.

I would add it's possibly not great on internet safety for younger children (and rather contrary to what's taught in school) so please have that discussion with your young readers.
Teodora Leon
The first book in the series is focused on the lives of two best friends and also some of the finest intermediate riders at Apley Towers, Kaela Willoughby and Beatrix King. When Wendy Oberon, the owner of the riding school, goes to Cape Town to solve some problems, Kaela and Trixie have to take over the beginners’ class. Unfortunately, in time, the girls take on too much responsibilities and it’s getting difficult to handle them all.
Kaela signs up for a writing course and volunteers to become th
Sweet Cherry Publishing
Jan 31, 2017
Rafaella
Mar 02, 2019
Michelle Grayce
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
A really good book about horse riding stables. Shows a friendship between Kaela and Trixie.
Paula
Clare
Dec 29, 2015
Mary Burrows
Dec 29, 2015
Did anyone else go back in time while reading this book? 2 5 Jan 20, 2016 06:19AM

Apley Towers (3 books)
  • Made Powerful (Apley Towers, #2)
  • Siren's Song (Apley Towers, #3)