Start by marking “Muhteşem Gatsby” as Want to Read:
Muhteşem Gatsby

Muhteşem Gatsby

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  3,681,762 ratings  ·  65,596 reviews
Muhteşem Gatsby yalnızca Fitzgerald'ın en parlak yapıtı değil, aynı zamanda 20. Yüzyıl Amerikan edebiyatının en iyi romanlarından biridir. Kahramanı Jay Gatsby'nin Long Island'da bir malikânede sürdürdüğü debdebeli yaşam tarzı, "Caz Çağı" olarak bilinen 1920'li yılları bütün coşkusu, aşırılıkları, şiddeti ve çöküşüyle yansıtır. Eğitimsiz bir aileden gelen yoksul Gatsby, ke ...more
Published 2015 by Türkiye İş Bankası Kültür Yayınları (first published April 10th 1925)

Win a Copy of This Book

The Great Gatsby
    Release date: Jun 30, 2020
    To celebrate 2020, Fitzgerald's publisher has a flashy new look for five of his classic novels, including The Great Gatsby. Enter for a chance to win ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 25 copies available, 8220 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jul 08 - Jul 22, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Muhteşem Gatsby, please sign up.
    Christine I do not think that 'transgender' is exactly the word you mean. I am pretty sure Nick identifies as a man, and he has not undergone any hormone treatm…moreI do not think that 'transgender' is exactly the word you mean. I am pretty sure Nick identifies as a man, and he has not undergone any hormone treatments is 1922!! However -- I would say there is definite evidence that Nick has homo-erotic tendencies and most likely is in love with Gatsby.

I had read the novel twice and I never thought this before. But upon my 3rd read I discovered some passages that indicate Nick's homosexual tendencies. Namely -- Nick accompanies Mr. McKee home after a night of hard drinking and possibly ends up in his bed (p. 38). There are attractive women at the party, Nick has been paired off with Catherine, yet he leaves her and follows Mr. McKee, a total stranger, all the way home! In another incident, Nick is riding the train and he fantasizes about kissing the male conductor (p. 115). In another passage, Nick laments turning thirty and the fact that his list of 'single men' is dwindling (p. 135). These incidents are coupled with the fact that Nick repeatedly turns down offers from women, including Jordan Baker, girls from his home town and office romances. Nothing ever develops between Nick and any women, nor does he express desire for them. In such a beautifully written novel, Nick's attraction to any female would surely have been emphasized. But it is not. His infatuation for Gatsby is told many times and in great detail!

These clues are subtle, the kind of thing a reader might easily pass over. However, upon my 3rd read I must say the implications are definitely THERE.

It is a very layered and complicatetd novel. I believe Fitzgerald was attempting to encompass several sections of society. Why was he so vague? Remember, the novel was published in 1925, a time when people were jailed, beat up and killed for homosexuality.
    (less)
    Chrissa I don't think so. There is this scene in chapter 6, and they're in the hotel, (Gatsby, Daisy, Tom, Jordan and Nick) and Tom says "... and next they'll…moreI don't think so. There is this scene in chapter 6, and they're in the hotel, (Gatsby, Daisy, Tom, Jordan and Nick) and Tom says "... and next they'll throw everything overboard and have intermarriage between black and white."
    Whereupon Jordan says: "We're all white here."(less)

·  3,681,762 ratings  ·  65,596 reviews

Start your review of Muhteşem Gatsby
    Nataliya

Oh Gatsby, you old sport, you poor semi-delusionally hopeful dreamer with 'some heightened sensitivity to the promises of life', focusing your whole self and soul on that elusive money-colored green light - a dream that shatters just when you are *this* close to it.

Jay Gatsby, who dreamed a dream with the passion and courage few possess - and the tragedy was that it was a wrong dream colliding with reality that was even more wrong - and deadly.

Just like the Great Houdini - the association the
    Alex
    Dec 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    The Great Gatsby is your neighbor you're best friends with until you find out he's a drug dealer. It charms you with some of the most elegant English prose ever published, making it difficult to discuss the novel without the urge to stammer awestruck about its beauty. It would be evidence enough to argue that F. Scott Fitzgerald was superhuman, if it wasn't for the fact that we know he also wrote This Side of Paradise.

But despite its magic, the rhetoric is just that, and it is a cruel facade. Be
    Pollopicu
    Sep 29, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Inge
    Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    There was one thing I really liked about The Great Gatsby.

It was short.
    emma
    DAISY BUCHANAN IS A GIFT TO READERS EVERYWHERE AND THE HERO OF THE GREAT GATSBY, FOR SURE, NO QUESTIONS, FIGHT ME IN THE COMMENTS IF YOU THINK YOU’RE BOLD: A Thinkpiece by Me

I’ve known that Daisy effin’ rocks since I first read this book. (Fun fact: my first read of this took place in the back of the family minivan when I was 13, on a roadtrip to, like, Disney World or something. While thoughts of princesses and mouse-shaped ice cream bars danced in my sib
    Kemper
    Jay Gatsby, you poor doomed bastard. You were ahead of your time. If you would have pulled your scam after the invention of reality TV, you would have been a huge star on a show like The Bachelor and a dozen shameless Daisy-types would have thrown themselves at you.

Mass media and modern fame would have embraced the way you tried to push your way into a social circle you didn’t belong to in an effort to fulfill a fool’s dream as your entire existence became a lie and you desperately sought to re
    svnh
    Jul 31, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: one-more-time
    After six years of these heated and polarized debates, I'm deleting the reviews that sparked them. Thanks for sharing your frustrations, joys, and insights with me, goodreaders. Happy reading!

In love and good faith, always,
    Savannah
    Sean Barrs
    This is a good book, though it is so ridiculously overrated.

There are so many great books out there that will never get the attention they deserve. They will be forgotten and their wisdom heard by only a select few who are willing to go looking for it. So it annoys me when books like this are acclaimed by critics and readers alike as the best pieces of fiction in existence (when they are not.) There’s so much more out there!

Anyway, rant over. The thing I like most about The Great Gatsby is the
    Gina
    Oct 23, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: fiction
    Over drinks, I’ve observed—like so many smart alecks—that much of The Great Gatsby’s popularity relies heavily on its shortness. At a sparse 180 pages, Fitzgerald’s masterpiece could be argued to be the “Great American novella.” Gatsby, like so many other short classics, is easily readable, re-readable, and assessable to everyone from the attention-deficient young to mothers juggling a kid, a career, and a long-held desire to catch up on all those books “they should have read but haven’t gotten ...more
    Stephen
    Photobucket

Casual, self-absorbed decadence, the evaporation of social grace, money calling all the shots and memories of the past holding people hostage from the future that lies before them. Yes, Mr. Fitzgerald has nailed it and written one of THE great American novels.

This book was a surprise. I LOVED it and all of the deep contradictions swimming around its heart. At once a scathing indictment on the erosion of the American Dream, but also a bittersweet love letter to the unfailing optimism of the
    Miranda Reads
    Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: audiobook
    2.5 Stars

1) Always google who you are going to fall in love with.
    Reserving judgments is a matter of infinite hope.
    2) For the love of God, make a 401K
    They had spent a year in France for no particular reason, and then drifted here and there unrestfully wherever people played polo and were rich together.
    3) Never swallow a thesaurus.
    I was within and without, simultaneously enchanted and repelled by the inexhaustible variety of life.
    Jay Gatsby is rich - the kind of exorbitan
    Ahmad Sharabiani
    699. The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
    The Great Gatsby is a 1925 novel written by American author F. Scott Fitzgerald that follows a cast of characters living in the fictional town of West Egg on prosperous Long Island in the summer of 1922. The story primarily concerns the young and mysterious millionaire Jay Gatsby and his quixotic passion and obsession for the beautiful former debutante Daisy Buchanan. Considered to be Fitzgerald's magnum opus, The Great Gatsby explores themes of decadenc
    Luca Ambrosino
    Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: wishlist-others
    English (The Great Gatsby) / Italiano

«In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since. “Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,” he told me, “just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.”»

The Great Gatsby, the book that most of all I postponed the reading. There was something in the title that didn't excite me, that didn't pass the smell. I was wrong.

The narrator, Nick Carra

LooseLips
    Dec 31, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: the people who live in upstate egg.
    Shelves: re-reading, hmmm
    The eh Gatsby

Classic. Yes. THE great American novel. Hmph, so I heard. I suppose it should make one more interested, or at least feel more compelled to read something (or re-read as is the case here) when it has "classic" and "everyone else loves it!" stamped all over it. And has a movie made out of it, though what beloved novel hasn't these days? Of course, I originally read FSF's Gatsby because I was expected to for a high school English class. So, even though I was never the type to do homewo
    Henry Avila
    Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Jay Gatsby, is a mysterious young man, who gives extravagant parties on Long Island, New York, outside his palatial mansion , in the warm, lazy, summer nights. That he doesn't know the people he invites, not to mention the numerous gatecrashers, might make it a little strange, but this being the roaring 20's, anything goes, rumors abound about Gatsby, bootlegger ? Who cares, as long as the free liquor flows, the great food served, and the beautiful music, continues playing. Finally attending one ...more
    Paul Bryant
    Sep 27, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: novels
    This is an all right-ish kind of novel, I suppose, but I always preferred Fitzgerald’s little-known prequel The Average Gatsby, although some people found the vision of Mervyn Gatsby, Jay’s obscure brother, living a reasonably okayish life as the manager of a carpet and upholstery warehouse in Des Moines a trifle dispiriting. I quite agree that The Bad Gatsby was a shameless self-ripoff which did Fitzgerald no favours. (The threesome scene between Warren Harding, John Dillinger and Gatsby was in ...more
    Jason
    Jul 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: people who can read
    Shelves: favorites
    Most Americans are assigned to read this novel in high school. Few American high schoolers have the wherewithal to appreciate this novel in full. I certainly did not. It is on a shortlist of novels that should, every 5 years starting at age 25, return to any American's required reading list.

First things first: The opening of The Great Gatsby -- its first 3-4 pages -- ranks among the best of any novel in the English language, and so too does its ending. Both for their content and for their prose,
    jessica
    Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    ‘i was within and without, simultaneously enchanted and repelled by the inexhaustible variety of life.’

im going to a 1920s themed party tonight and so, naturally (being the bookworm that i am), im gonna do a quick re-read to give me all those gatsby-esque vibes! all the glitzy glamour, flashy fashion, and daring dreams will definitely get me in the mood!

i first read this in 10th grade english class and it will always be a very dear book to me. it was the first classic i read that i felt lik
    Jennifer Masterson
    Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: audio, 2017, classics
    I just spent three days being read to by Jake Gyllenhaal and it was absolutely wonderful! I took Jake with me for long Summer walks, to the grocery store, Trader Joe's, and let me not forget the ten minutes I spent driving around the parking lot of Target, not for a better parking space, but to listen to Jake read "The Great Gatsby" to me! My only regret is that this fabulous experience is over. Sigh...

I've read the book and watched both versions of the movie but this is by far my favorite exper
    Ian "Marvin" Graye
    The True Value of Monopoly Money

Capitalism tends towards monopoly.

No capitalist welcomes a competitor or rival. Having attained wealth, the desire is to retain it, not to concede it; to increase it, not to share it.

A competitor is perceived as a threat, and will be treated like a virus invading an otherwise healthy, but vulnerable, body.

The Great American Dream

"The Great Gatsby" is often described as a paean to the Great American Dream.

This Dream supposedly sustains the average American. It of
    İntellecta
    Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: classics
    „Der große Gatsby" is a truly brilliant and dazzling masterpiece. The book is written in such a way you can´t stop reading it, because the language and presentation are stylistic and atmospheric. But you should read this book carefully. I am enthusiastic about the verbosity of this writer. Overall, the characters were very successful and unique. This story was definitely a highlight for me. It´s story and a character which I absolutely like. Almost quietly and calmly, he brings us closer to the ...more
    “Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that’s no matter—tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther. . . . And then one fine morning—
    So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past”
    Joey Woolfardis
    Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

I am a Classics person, but not a Modern Classics reader. I prefer the Victorian and pre-Victorian Classics and Modern Classics have never really interested me. However, even before I began this Reading Challenge I knew that I needed to change that. I'm still not overly enamoured with Modern Classics (though they tend to be a lot shorter than Victorian Classics are, which can come as a relief) but I
    karen

i love this book. yes, it is a story about vapid and shallow people who live selfish and hedonistic lives and treat other people like playthings, but there is an elegance, a restraint to the prose that manages to discuss, in the same tone, both doomed love and the breakdown of the american dream. and it is masterful. some may say the great american novel.

and so this:

makes me want to tear my eyes out with my hands and stomp on them forever and ever.

yeah, yo
    Cecily
    Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I don't know if my appreciation of this should be tempered by the fact I was about three quarters of the way through before I realised I'd read it before (though I think it was many years ago)!

PLOT
    It is (mostly) set in Long Island in summer of 1922, amongst the young, idle, amoral rich, playing fast and loose with their own lives and indeed, those of others. All very glamorous, self-centred, and shallow, but the possibility of darker things lurking holds interest and tension.

CHARACTERS
    Even if y
    Jonathan Terrington
    My essay on The Great Gatsby and reification

What is there to love about The Great Gatsby?

F.Scott Fitzgerald’s writing here leaves only a little to be desired. The characters themselves seem shallow and empty, lacking in morality and you could take all this into consideration and instantly report: ‘well that’s a shallow book if ever I’ve heard of one.’ However it can also be seen that, The Great Gatsby is a scathing social commentary that explores the fruitlessness of pursuing dreams. Particularl
    Brian
    Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I firmly believe that "The Great Gatsby" is a novel that cannot be fully appreciated in a first read. I read it for the first time after college, and hated it. Now, 10 years later I have read it half a dozen times, and find it to be a richer and richer experience every time.
    Fitzgerald was a talented writer, and there are times that the prose in this text is breathtakingly good. But that is not what makes this novel stand out as one of the greatest pieces of truly American literature. Rather it i
    Brian Yahn
    Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: Anyone 17+
    Shelves: favorites
    Jay Gatsby and Daisy Buchanan are two of the most memorable characters in literature. F. Scott Fitzgerald weaves them tragically together in this perfectly plotted masterpiece.

Every scene is unforgettable--so distinct and unique--from the grandest party ever recorded, to the most tense fight ever written, to the most perfectly dark twisted love affair of all time, to the most pathetically sad funeral imaginable.

When people say this is the best book ever written, they're not kidding. It's so good
    Emily May
    Dec 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: classics
    Update Nov, 2019: Well, I knew I would like this better when I *finally* got around to reading it again.

***
    Let's just call this a "need to reread" book. I remember thinking it was just okay when I read it. But then, that was back in high school when the teachers made us pull it part and dissect the language. I was bound to hate it. And everyone seems to love Gatsby, so hopefully a revisit will help me see why.
    Rolls
    Mar 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: Everybody and their mother
    "The Great Gatsby" is considered by many to be the zenith of American fiction writing in the last century. I won't say that it is the best American novel I've read but I will say it is probably the most perfect.

Along with J.D. Salinger, Fitzgerald has got to be my favorite writer of fiction. As opposed to Hemingway's bluntness, and Faulkner's artiness, Fitzgerald's prose seems(to paraphrase Michael Chabon) to rain down from style heaven. His style in fact is like the ladies he writes about: cool
    Human Molars.... 1 2 Jul 10, 2020 11:59AM
    What's so great about The Great Gatsby? 24 218 Jul 08, 2020 08:53AM
    SCPL Teens: F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby Review 1 5 Jul 02, 2020 02:25PM
    SCPL Teens: The Great Gatsby Review 3 6 Jul 02, 2020 10:43AM

• The Catcher in the Rye
    • Animal Farm
    • Pride and Prejudice
    • Of Mice and Men
    • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
    • The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
    • Lord of the Flies
    • Romeo and Juliet
    • Jane Eyre
    • The Fault in Our Stars
    • Fahrenheit 451
    • Twilight (Twilight, #1)
    • Wuthering Heights
    • The Help
    • The Giver (The Giver, #1)
    • The Hobbit, or There and Back Again
    Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American writer of novels and short stories, whose works have been seen as evocative of the Jazz Age, a term he himself allegedly coined. He is regarded as one of the greatest twentieth century writers. Fitzgerald was of the self-styled "Lost Generation," Americans born in the 1890s who came of age during World War I. He finished four novels, left a fifth unfini ...more

Articles featuring this book

We all want to spend more time lost in the pages of great books. That's the idea behind our annual Goodreads Reading Challenge! It's simpl...
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.” 11473 likes
    “I hope she'll be a fool -- that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.” 9737 likes