Start by marking “Time Lock (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations, #4)” as Want to Read:
Time Lock (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations, #4)

Time Lock

(Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations #4)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  241 ratings  ·  28 reviews
An all new Star Trek e-novella from the world of Deep Space Nine, featuring the fan-favorite Federation bureau the Department of Temporal Investigations!

The dedicated agents of the Federation Department of Temporal Investigations have their work cut out for them protecting the course of history from the dangers of time travel. But the galaxy is littered with artifacts that
Published September 5th 2016 by Pocket Books/Star Trek

To ask other readers questions about Time Lock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time Lock

really liked it 4.00  ·

Bob Milne
Mar 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: space-opera
As Star Trek novels (or, in this case, novellas) go, Time Lock was a very different sort of read. It's set in the original timeline, within the extended universe that has continued beyond TNG, DS9, and Voyager, but aside from a few instances of name-dropping, it has nothing to do with the characters with which readers are most familiar. Instead, this is a sort of side series, dealing with the Department of Temporal Investigations.

Christopher L. Bennett had his work cut out for him here, not only
Steve
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Normally, I like these short Star Trek novellas, but this one just grated on my nerves. It felt like it was written for middle-school readers, and the writing was sub-par, focusing on the "telling" rather than letting the story develop. It just didn't connect for me.
Wayne McCoy
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
'Department of Temporal Investigations: Time Lock' by Christopher L. Bennett is a book set in the Star Trek universe. It concerns a couple characters that are charged with protecting history from inadvertent time travelers.

This is the 4th book in the series, and I haven't read the preceding ones, but I don't thing that's necessary. It's probably a bit more helpful to know the characters who show up in a few episodes of the later Trek series.

This time around, Lucsly and Andros aren't working toge
Lexxi Kitty
I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and Pocket Books/Star Trek in exchange for an honest review.

This is the fourth book in the Department of Temporal Investigations, and the fifth book I’ve read by this author (though one of those books is a full length novel hidden inside a longer collection of novels. It is titled ‘Places of Exile’, and is roughly 192 pages in length, and is found inside the book titled ‘Infinity’s Prism’).

As the Acknowledgments and notes section . . . um . . . notes
Clare O'Beara
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf
While set in the same 'world' as Star Trek series, there are no characters in common other than a little name dropping, and not many races in common either. A group called the Vomnin are plotting to steal relics which are held in a secure storage bank on the dwarf planet Eris in Earth's Kuiper Belt. I'd love to read a story set in the Kuiper Belt. Unfortunately all this story takes place indoors so it might as well be anywhere.

When a break in is suspected, the scientists at the facility engage
Dan
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dti, e-books, star-trek
Department of Temporal Investigations has become one of my favorite series within the world of Trek lit. I'm always excited to see it pop up on the schedule, and Time Lock once again delivers a fun and entertaining story. It never ceases to amaze me that Christopher Bennett is able to craft such fascinating stories and development for characters who got only about three minutes of screen time in a Deep Space Nine episode. I hope for many more DTI stories to come, and I am beyond thrilled to see ...more
Mark Gardner
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Anytime I see a Star Trek story on NetGalley, I request it. Star Trek is my gert lush. (See Sarah, I used your regional British slang!) I usually wait until it’s closer to a book release to read and review, but I needed my Trek fix.

The Good: The regular cast members from the shows have done just about everything under the sun. It’s nice to read a Star Trek story that isn’t the main cast. Sometimes, the limitations of the main characters make for ho-hum stories. It’s refreshing to read new charac
Casey Wheeler
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a free Kindle copy of this book courtesy of Net Galley and Pocket Books, the publisher. This was with the understanding that I would publish a review on Net Galley, Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes and Noble and my book review blog. I also posted reviews to my Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google Plus pages.
I requested this book as I am a fan of science fiction and I have read a number of the Star Trek books. This is the first by this author and the Department of Temporal Investigations s
Luke
Sep 14, 2016 added it
Original review posted at http://wp.me/p4Wvzn-1PH

Two Nerds Talking received an advanced review copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Time Lock is a Star Trek novella (shorter novel) featuring the Department of Temporal Investigations who fans of DS9 will remember from the episode Trials and Tribble-ations.

The book follows a raid on the Federation's secret bunker for time travel artifacts and the efforts of one Agent Gariff Lucsly to outwit the terrorists and save the day.

Wh
Greg
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short novella begins with an extraordinarily exciting opening, and blesses the reader with ome of the most brilliant ideas ever developed by a writer in Trek History. The 'Time Lock' device. Mix this up with those funky funsters from the Department of Temporal Investigations (those guys we all love to hate and who appeared in the DS9 classic TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS) and you have, without doubt, a potentially fantastic read.

And TIME LOCK is. Up to a point. It gets bogged down a little in its
Dane
Sep 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Pretty much what you'd expect from a DTI novella: enjoyable (though maybe trying a bit too hard to be clever for its own good), with lots of timey-wimey technobabble. Is a bit lacking in the 'magic' of the other entries in the series, however. Not really sure why. If you really enjoy Bennett's work, then give it a try - it's short.
John Kirk
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
The DTI books continue to get shorter, but I think this one was the right length for the story.

I'm tempted to describe this as the Star Trek version of "Die Hard", but we've already had that: the TNG episode "Starship Mine". Still, there are plenty of other films in this genre, e.g. "Under Siege" and "Passenger 57" so it's reasonable to have two Trek versions.

(view spoiler)
Joe Pranaitis
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author Christoper Bennett brings us another adventure in temporal investigations. It's been six months since the incident with the Collectors and the vault get's a new artifact that happens to be a Trojan horse that once opened let's in bandits who want to raid the place. Once they begin to do so the time lock or time dilation field activates and slows time down within the vault. As I read this I kept thinking of the Stargate SG-1 episodes where they used the same type of field to slow down the ...more
Robert Lewter
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story, but temporal mechanics still makes my head hurt. I think this group is going to be a great addition to my Trek reading. ...more
Frank Davis
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Interesting take on time and the way it can be viewed.

Someone breaks into the Time Vault and plans on stealing items that have been locked away for the safety of the universe & the timeline. Agents lock the Vault so no one can get in or out but as time passes in the Vault it goes by faster on the outside.

Love how it takes a look at the difference inside and out during the standoff. A good starting off point for these characters and events that should be a good read down the line.
Daniel
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek, tv-tie-in
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 4.0 of 5

Reading a Star Trek book/story is my guilty pleasure. I've been a Trekkie/Trekker nerd since the early/mid 1970's and despite an ever-widening circle of reading interests, I return to a Star Trek novel now and again because it's like getting together with old friends. It's comfortable and fun. (When done well.)

Christopher L. Bennett's Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations: Time Lock was a comfortable retreat wi
Kelley
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Department of Temporal Investigations: Time Lock by Christopher L. Bennett was an enjoyable foray in to the realm of Star Trek I love so much. I started as a trekkie at the age of 11, thanks to my grandfathers collection of The Original Series and The Next Generation. Since then I have made it a point to read and explore the vast world that is Star Trek. What I love about this story by Bennett is the ease at which you can read it. The plot progressed at an even pace and I found myself quickly sl ...more
Louis Brantmeyer
It was good

I loved this book. It was excellently written, engaging, fun, easy to read, and intricate enough to be entertainingly stimulating intellectually!
John Purvis
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
“Department of Temporal Investigations: Time Lock” eBook was published in 2016 and was written by Christopher L. Bennett (https://christopherlbennett.wordpress...). Mr. Bennett has written several Science Fiction short stories, novellas and novels.

I received a galley of this novel for review through https://www.netgalley.com. I categorize this novel as ‘G’. The story is set in the future in the world of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Most of the action occurs at the Department of Temporal Investig
J. Roslyn
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christopher Bennett once again delivers an exciting adventure involving the United Federation of Planets, Department of Temporal Investigations (DTI).

In this short novella, the DTI's Eridian Vault, a high security storage facility for dangerous time travel artifacts, is under attack. If the attackers, Vomnin mercenaries led by an extremely intelligent, non-Vomnin, humanoid female, succeed in removing the artifacts, the future of the entire universe may be in danger. DTI Agent Gariff Lucsly and D
Jane
I keep giving Star Trek books a chance even though I've never really enjoyed one. I chose this as a review advance reader copy because the 50th Star Trek anniversary is coming up. I love the Deep Space Nine tribbles episode and the Department of Temporal Investigations guys from it are in this novella.

I enjoyed the playful playing around with time ("That was why Lucsly had spent the past three weeks and four days here on Eris, overseeing a systemic review and upgrade of the Vault's safety and se
Theresa
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Department of Temporal Investigations: Time Lock (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations #4)
When reading this book i joked with my husband that i need to save star trek… It was a joke that i needed to finish the story to find out how the temporal department would survive a raid by a heavily armed and informed group of pirates. The time lock was their greatest ally and their greatest flaw. Taking all the devices in the universe found to have some form or Time distortion or manipulation
Michael John John
Bennett has done it again with this latest installment in the DTI series. I have loved these characters from the moment I first read about them. Although their appearance in DS9 was a brief one, what Bennett has done with them and their temporal agency continues to entertain and amaze me. I highly recommend this story and sincerely hope to see the adventures of Dulmer and Locksley continue on for many more.
Andover Library
I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was a fun little read! The first of the DTI stories I have read it wasn't necessary to know much about the department (although obviously I'm familiar with the greater 'universe')
Nice exploration of time and relativity and the work of the Department. This was a quick read but a thoroughly enjoyable one.
Laurie Kazmierczak
I enjoyed the challenge of keeping up with the whole time scheme of the proposed plot. The characters are interesting and this book fleshes out some of their backgrounds nicely. I recommend reading it, but it may give you a headache if you try to wrap your head around the time differentials.
Amy Softa
Mar 22, 2016 marked it as dnf
Shelves: read-for-review
I tried, did not see it was #4 in series and felt lost. Writing style did not help either. Maybe some day if I read the other titles before this one, but from what I read not in a hurry to try other Trek books by this author. sorry, just didn't work for me.
John W. Leys
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Excellent entry in the DTI series.
thebookiereviewer
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really liked the book, this novella develops quite rightly. Perfect for a nice relaxing afternoon.

disclaimer: I got this book from netgalley in exchange of an honest review
Tina Shelton
Jan 16, 2017
Gregory Mcdonald
Nov 23, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Replace cover with correct cover 2 107 Sep 05, 2016 02:12PM
Goodreads Librari...: Update cover of ebook edition 2 15 Sep 03, 2016 01:17PM
  • Elusive Salvation (Star Trek: The Original Series)
  • Absent Enemies (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Force and Motion
  • A Pocket Full of Lies
  • Foul Deeds Will Rise
  • The Long Mirage
  • Rise Like Lions (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)
  • Sight Unseen (Star Trek: Titan)
  • The Missing
Christopher L. Bennett is a lifelong resident of Cincinnati, Ohio, with a B.S. in Physics and a B.A. in History from the University of Cincinnati. A fan of science and science fiction since age five, he has spent the past two decades selling original short fiction to magazines such as Analog Science Fiction and Fact and BuzzyMag. For the past dozen years, he has been one of Pocket Books' most prol ...more

Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations (5 books)
  • Watching the Clock (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations #1)
  • Forgotten History (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations, #2)
  • The Collectors (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations #3)
  • Shield of the Gods (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations, #5))