Start by marking “The Cloud” as Want to Read:
The Cloud

Read Book* *Different edition

The Cloud

“WHAT IS A WISH?”

That is the question the boy must answer for himself as he and hiswolf, Cloud, embark on a grand voyage to find the boy’s father and return the wish that wasstolen from him. The Cloud is a beautiful, and at times, heartbreaking journey of a reluctant heroforced to outwit a cast of colorful characters: a thieving girl, bizarre creatures from the Great
Published July 26th 2016 by Archaia

To ask other readers questions about The Cloud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cloud

Start your review of The Cloud
Alory Shannon
Jan 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book, but while the art style is unique and interesting, the story is absolutely lacking. Things happen randomly, and the story rushes ahead of itself and is hard to follow. Ultimately, none of it carries any real weight. It's hard to care about anyone, or even the world itself. The dialogue wants to be deep and serious, but it really just feels like Typical Overblown Fantasy Dialogue (TM), which is disappointing.
Kirsten
Beautifully illustrated, but extremely difficult to follow!
Alexa
Beautiful art, and an interesting story with a bittersweet ending. The timelines were sometimes a little difficult to follow, but I still loved it.
Nuno R.
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the very best graphic novels I read. I honestly cannot begin my review. It's a masterpiece that, in my shelves goes along with Caza's "Age of Darkness" and Craig Thompson's "Habibi". Just brilliant and wonderful! And in my personal favorites usually I have comics/BD that are written and drawn by the same artist. Writer. K.I. Zachopoulos and Vincenzo Balzano's collaboration is seamless, surprising, outstanding.
Shay
Jul 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I was so excited to get The Cloud. The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous and I discovered that some inspirations for it were Hayao Miyazaki and Ico and shadow of the colossus. All of which are FANTASTIC. However, for me it was a very confusing read. I think I understand the main premise but it didn't flow smoothly and I wasn't always sure who the main character was talking to. I'm not upset at all that I bought this though because the pages are just so beautiful. I do think this story ...more
Shannon Appelcline
A beautifully painted faerie tale that evocatively imagines a world of clouds and flying ships and soaring wolves. It's colorful and beautiful.

With that said, the story is not that particularly unexpected. It's a boy on a quest to save the world. Unfortunately, it's also quite muddy. Perhaps it's the flashbacks, or perhaps it's just the style of storytelling, but it's somewhat hard to follow.

Overall, t's sort of interesting, but not great.
Ksenia
Dec 31, 2016 added it
The art here was magnificent but I found the story a bit hard to follow.
Megan
Mar 01, 2017 added it
I don't feel comfortable eating this book at the moment. The art was gorgeous, but for whatever reason, the story seemed a bit rushed. I wasn't very invested in the characters /:
Courtney
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: archaia-boom
The art was gorgeous. However, the story felt very bare, I wasn't sure of where the story was and in some places it was so ambiguous and I found myself filling in gaps to 'see it'. The reader shouldn't be doing that much of the heavy lifting, it's risky. It was difficult for me to tell when it was flash backs/forwards -- and when they did arise I was not connected enough to the characters to worry about the situations they were in...

Some of the story set up was on par with the art, but much of
Nick Vassiliadis
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Cloud is a great book! a must read for fans of fairy-tails and all things magical it is a great journey till the end with outstanding artwork!!
Allan Walsh
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
The Cloud is a fantasy graphic novel about a boy and his wolf who go on a journey to find the boy’s father and return a wish that was stolen from him.

The Cover: This is a beautiful cover that clearly defines the fantasy elements of the story, however it does not convey that the book is a graphic novel. This is fine if it is housed on the bookshelves under graphic novels, but my suggestion to the author would be to add some subtext to make it clear. Something along the lines of ‘A fantasy
Jun 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2019, comic
This was...so bad. I mean, the art is fantastic, but the writing...
For the most part, I had no clue what was going on. The story jumps around between past and present without any indicators. The world-building is lacking in depth, the characters are as exciting as stale bread, and it's full of purple prose. And don't get me started on the differing dialects for the background characters.
I would have given the comic four stars if judged by the art alone. I must say, however, that given that the
The_Mad_Swede
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, 2018, comics, fantasy
Writer K. I. Zachopoulos and artist Vincenzo Balzano's Cloud is the story of the eponymous winged wolf and his master, a young boy in search of a wishing stone that belonged to his father, in sort-of-postapocalyptic myth landscape, and it is narrated by the wolf. Balzano's art is very beautiful, but his visual narration are occasionally a bit muddled, in the sense that flashbacks are not always easily distinguished from shifts between places. This does complicate the reading on a quite basic ...more
Despina
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Four stars mostly for the absolutely gorgeous design. I fell in love with it the second I set my eyes on the cover and I just couldn't stop turning the pages and admiring even before I actually read it. That last fifth star is missing because the plot was so vague and complicated that I didn't get much out of it. The idea behind the story seems very interesting but the execution was poor and it left me with many questions and with no memorable character. It's such a shame because it had great ...more
Jaimie
Jul 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelby Rollenhagen
May 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
Artwork - 3 stars

Words - 2 stars

I found the written aspect of The Cloud lacking. Sometimes the words were beautifully put together, but they didn't add up to a functional story. There are too many questions and so much that goes a step beyond ambiguity. There weren't enough words to create a coherent story even if you let the artwork do a good chunk of the talking.

The artwork was stunning.

I received this book as part of a Good Reads giveaway.
Lupe Dominguez
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
"What is a wish?"

The ultimate story of love and loss, friends and foes. The ultimate battle of good and evil, light and dark. The story of one young orphan who is destined to make the one wish to save the worlds above and below the clouds.

The illustrations in the story were absolutely magnificent. I had trouble following the story at times, became too wordy and the story line felt lost, but overall, I enjoyed it.
Hailley Wilson
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
The art is very beautiful but The Cloud left me feeling like something is missing from the story. The narrative didn't flow well and at times was confusing. The authors were trying to show pieces of the world, it's history, it's religion, the boys past and the girls past but it just didn't really work.
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The artwork is absolutely gorgeous! The fantastical elements were lovely and meshed well with the watercolor/pastel artistic direction. At times it was hard to distinguish what characters were narrating the story and what time frames the narrative was dealing with. However, I was unexpectedly heartbroken at the close of the story.
Άρης Δεληγιαννίδης
One of the best graphic novels I have ever read. The design is simply astonishing and the story is one of the best out there. Highly conceptual, a great fairytale that makes you feel like when you were a child but impose you to think like a grown up. No meaningless nonsense here. Only tripy, symbolic, magical progression to fulfillment. Did i mention how great the design is?
Ray
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'm sorry but there's only one way to describe this graphic novel: WTH did I just read?

Also it's a heck of a time trying to even find it on Goodreads. It's at the very bottom of the suggestions when searching for "The Cloud." Goodreads is probably burying it as a favor to you.
nks
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Art is stunning, and gets a 4.5.
Storytelling didn't work as well. Rating an average between these two elements.
About halfway through I gave up even reading the words and just stared at the dreamy gorgeous images.
Hayley Albrigt
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gina Brown
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found the illustrations for this graphic novel absolutely stunning, and the story was lovely. A very beautiful book.
Panagiotis Panagiotidis
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When you finish this book , it feels like you have lived inside the authors "living" dream. With some great life lessons to be learned at the end.
Kleio
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
my only complaint is that the story moved kind of fast and it was hard to understand what was going on.
Erin
Jun 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Incredibly beautiful and incredibly confusing/hard-to-follow.
Benjamin Wilkins
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
The art is great, but not good enough to save the book from bad writing.
Susan
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short, and a little hard to follow at times, but the premise is lovely. The art style is a bit rough and unrefined, but I think it suits the story well.
Andrew
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Amazing art style and not much of a story due to lack of character development.

• Snow White: A Graphic Novel
  • Iscariot
  • Brave Chef Brianna
  • Witchy
  • La Conquête de l'espace Vol. 2 (Le Château des Etoiles 1869, #2)
  • Klaw: The First Cycle
  • Perséphone
  • How To Be Happy
  • La Conquête de l'espace - Vol. 1 (Le Château des Etoiles, #1)
  • Die, Vol. 1: Fantasy Heartbreaker
  • Ladycastle
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 1: Rebels Without Applause
  • Descender: The Deluxe Edition Volume 1
  • Bee and Puppycat, Vol. 1
  • Heathen Vol. 1 (Heathen, #1)
  • Nijigahara Holograph
  • Taproot
  • Trillium
K I Zachopoulos participated in POPGUN (Volume 3 & 4), the Eisner award winning, comics anthology published by Image Comics. He is the script writer of MISTER UNIVERSE (Image Comics). He worked as a script writer for the series of the MISERY CITY comic books from Markosia . After the end of MISERY CITY, he wrote THE FANG (Markosia). Together with Vincenzo Balzano created the Dwayne McDuffie ...more