Start by marking “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Omnibus” as Want to Read:
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Omnibus

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Omnibus

The definitive collection of the illustrated Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? It has inspired and expanded minds since its debut in 1968. It served as the source material for the classic sci-fi film Blade Runner. Now, collected for the first time in one comprehensive edition, Philip K. Dick’s masterpiece Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is fully realized in graphic ...more
Published December 1st 2015 by BOOM! Studios (first published 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Omnibus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Omnibus

Quentin Wallace
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Having never read the source material I don't know how close to the original story this graphic novel is, but I really enjoyed it. I'm guessing it's a pretty close adaptation. I'm huge fan of the movie BLADE RUNNER so it was cool to finally see where it came from.

The characters were mostly all here: Deckard, Rachel, Roy Baty, etc. but there were many changes as well. There's a few major things that either weren't mentioned in the movie or were just lightly touched upon. For example, live animals
Emilie
May 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
The story is great. It's a 5 star story.
Graphic novel wise, it's a 1 star production. Way too much text. It would literally write "Rick said" in boxes. Or it would give description of action. That's a waste of space. In a graphic novel, I should be able to infer these details from the image or the design should include different fonts or colors or placement to denote speech. The artwork isn't that great. It really lacked in terms of inviting me into the story, world-building, and character.
Adriana
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's ok.
I really like the novel and this is a pretty straight up graphic version of it, but some of the magic gets lots when you loose the way Dick describes environs and people. You might read this if you're not a big fan of science fiction but want to be able to say that you've read it. All the pertinent points were included.
Artwise, it's a tad weird. There are panels where inconsequential things are super detailed while the characters are really simplified. It ended up adding to the disjoin
kimberly
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
more illustrated novel than graphic novel, so much text. artwork was pretty awful.
Andrew Evans
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Do Androids Dream is a decent adaptation of the Philip K. Dick novel (rather than the movie, Blade Runner). The design and artwork is good, but falls short of inspired, and the writing closely follows the novel, sometimes to the detriment of the graphic novel form (the first section, in particular, is, in my opinion, overly verbose). I also thought that the handling of the encounter with Rachel (in the last third) was a little ill-judged.

However, the development of the John Isidore backstory pr
Lisa  Schagerström
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The art is a great compliment to the story, I love the dark colors, the dusky dark imagery.
I really enjoy that all of the characters seem to do what they think they need to do to survive. Not only to survive, but to keep the status quo.
Good read, even though the physical book fell apart and needs to be re-glued. :/
saradevil
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal illustrated novel. Aside from that, this continues to be just a beautiful, blistering story.
rosalind
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
an excellent adaptation of the source text, which remains as great as always.
Andy Hickman
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?”

VOLUME 1

Opens with:
AUCKLAND.
A TURTLE WHICH EXPLORER CAPTAIN COOK GAVE TO THE KING OF TONGA IN
1777 DIED YESTERDAY. IT WAS NEARLY 200 YEARS OLD.
THE ANIMAL, CALLED TU'IMALILA, … WOULD BE SENT TO THE
AUCKLAND MUSEUM IN NEW ZEALAND.

“At that moment, when I had the TV sound off, I was in a 382 mood; I had just dialed it. So although I heard the emptiness intellectually, I didn't feel it. My first reaction consisted of being grateful that we could afford a Penfie
Mario
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The novel that inspired some of the themes for the Blade Runner movie is a completely different beast. I was surprised to see a comic adaptation and I was wary of it, but it's a wonderful experience. Fantastic art by Tony Parker which shows us a decaying world and its misery.
It may seem to have too many text boxes, but they work perfectly to complement the art and add observations to the scene straight from the novel, so they end up feeling completely normal during the reading.
If you are not fa
Bruno Martinez-Leo
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great art from the original PKD's DADOES. If you liked Blade Runner, well; you're in for a hell of a ride. If you read the novel, well, you are in for a great visualisation of it. Totally worth.
Garth
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Graphic Novel Boom! Studios Dec 2, 2015 Omnibus edition of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (Kindle Version)

This is my first time reading a graphic novel. As I understand it, Dick's novel, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, was adapted to a serialized comic-book release. Ultimately, this combined version has been released with supplemental materials including essays and artwork. The panels are colorful and enticing. The Kindle Version allowed me to double click on a particular panel and th
Rich Farrell
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m probably the last person on Earth who hasn’t seen Bladerunner, so the idea was totally new to me. (I’ve reserved both DVDs from the library though, so I can catch up.)

The illustrations are five stars, really bringing the world to life and the story itself is five stars, being something original in a genre that too often repeats itself, in my opinion. I’ve never read anything of Dick before, but I’m interested in more of his work now.

Still, I couldn’t get over the actual dialogue boxes. Next
Tracy
Art-wise: I know that cover art isn't necessarily indicative of the art within.. but I was a little disappointed by this adaptation. I actually wanted art deco or some super imaginative style, and that's not what's in here. My only other criticism has to do with Hoopla making it impossible to read all the essays at the end because the text was too small on my computer screen. Like 5 or 6 pt font. Really bad. And I couldn't zoom in on it at all. The texts originally appeared at the end of each is ...more
J.
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
It's hard to separate the adaptation from the source material here. So let me go ahead and say that the adaptation is really well done, if a bit odd. But the novel itself is just odd. It has parts that are amazingly paranoia-inducing. But it regularly loses focus of its basic premise, to the novel's detriment.
Aneez
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Like most of Dick's work, it's a tad depressing. Both Deckard and Roy were chubbier than I imagined. The world created by Dick and illustrated Parker and Blond is believable, with drug-assisted living, a flawed widely-accepted religion, and a human creation that while technically right is just wrong. Despite a mildly ambiguous ending, all the plot treads come together in a satisfying way.
Paul Griggs
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
While a big fan of Blade Runner I’ve never felt the source novel was much coo. This graphic adaptation comes across as an illustrated prose novel rather than what I’d consider a comic book adaptations. While the art is great it doesn’t lift the prose to anywhere that improves my opinion.
Robert Seitz
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Forgot to close this one out months ago.

This graphic novel is the complete book. It is not brief, it is not a comic about the movie. The book was quite a bit more than Blade Runner. Quite a lot of work, a considerable feat by the artists.
Gerard Cronin
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
This adaptation is not additive to the original novella. Sometimes it is TOO faithful an apaption. Why interrupt a speech bubble with a rectangular box that reads "HE SAID"? Doesn't the speech bubble already imply that "he said"?

Alexander Ballantyne
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm usually very down on adaptations, this confounded my expectations. I thoroughly enjoyed this adaptation as a comic in its own right and as a great piece of literature observed through a slightly different lense.
Martin
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic novel made even better by illustrations. This graphic novel is the full text of the original novel.
Leslie
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
This is a great way to read this book.
Xix Feng
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book, and this version with the artwork and pacing is fantastic.
Dionne Seevers
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Depressive, disjointed, and full of wonder.
Amber
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Super interesting book. I loved the graphic novel format. I now need to watch the movie because I can't imagine it follows this story beyond the android hunting part.
Tyler
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not usually a fan of graphic novels, but I came across this copy of Androids at the library. It was really fun, even for a chickenhead like me.
Anne Lydolf
May 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I liked the idea of the real vs fake animals, but did not care much for the main character.
Rob Cook
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Somehow I've made it this long in life without reading anything by Philip K. Dick and also without reading any sort of graphic novel. As my first foray into both I really enjoyed it.
Chris Cutler
Reading this was an odd experience for me, primarily because it has been a surprising two decades since I read the original novel as a teenager.

My memories of the source novel were rather fuzzy, aside from a few standout scenes. In particular, it seems that my teenage self was absorbed in the plot; he misinterpreted some of the themes (the androids in my memory were far less threatening), and he missed or ignored much of the social commentary (which is blatant and occasionally odd). So I'm glad
Keith Irwin
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
To provide context, I should say that I am a fan of Philip K. Dick, but not a rabid one. I read the novel quite a few years back and enjoyed it. I feel like this version of it improves a novel which I already thought was very good. Usually when you adapt a novel into comic book form, you take out words which describe the things that you're drawing because you've already drawn them. But for this they chose a different approach: they kept everything. The words became captions and speech became spe ...more

• Hacktivist
  • Bravest Warriors Vol. 2
  • The Infinite Loop (The Infinite Loop #1-6)
  • Star Trek: Ongoing, Volume 7
  • Irredeemable, Vol. 9
  • Star Trek / Legion of Super-Heroes
  • Star Trek: Nero
  • Massive: Gay Erotic Manga and the Men Who Make It
  • The Death of Archie: A Life Celebrated
  • Archie 1000 Page Comics Celebration (Archie 1000 Page Digests)
  • Kevin Keller: Welcome to Riverdale
  • Spock Reflections
  • Wuvable Oaf (Wuvable Oaf, Volume: 1)
  • Smut Peddler: 2014 Edition
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation - Hive (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Starve, Vol. 1
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for best novel of the year in 1974 for Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. Philip K. Di ...more
“In addition, no one today remembered why the war had come about or who, if anyone, had won.” 0 likes
“The thing about rabbits, sir, is that everybody has one, I'd like to see you step up to the goat-class where I feel you belong. Frankly you look more like a goat man to me.” 0 likes