Start by marking “The Mission Chinese Food Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Mission Chinese Food Cookbook

The Mission Chinese Food Cookbook

From rising culinary star Danny Bowien, chef and cofounder of the tremendously popular Mission Chinese Food restaurants, comes an exuberant cookbook that tells the story of an unconventional idea born in San Francisco that spread cross-country, propelled by wildly inventive recipes that have changed what it means to cook Chinese food in America

Mission Chinese Food is not

Published November 10th 2015 by Anthony Bourdain/Ecco (first published June 9th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Mission Chinese Food Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mission Chinese Food Cookbook

Start your review of The Mission Chinese Food Cookbook
Justin Sorbara-Hosker
I'm probably not going to cook much from this cookbook - its some pretty next level stuff, and I tend to like my food more traditional, not put through some new cuisine/high end/fancy food filter (also, if its inevitable that I can go to a restaurant and eat the same dish but done better, I'll leave it to the experts - i.e pho, which is one of my favourite things, and I'll never master it).

Not to mischaracterize Bowien - he seems to care what food tastes like, rather than what it looks like, as
Forgottendreamr
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Restaurant recipes, so a lot of prep. Not good for regular home meals.
Carla
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookery, skimmed
Lots of Q&A with the chef, a few recipes.
Shuting
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
coming from China and having been to the Mission Chinese restaurant twice, I really like how this book unfolded the story around Daniel personally and the restaurant. Now I understand why they wouldnt change the restaurant's name on the store front - well they feel very attached to Lung Shan, the original Chinese restaurant and now the partner of Mission Chinese and would not want to erase the connection there. I like how this interview/conversation effectively brings out some of the most ...more
Bookworm
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting if you are a fan. Can't remember what drove me to get this book but it sounded intriguing. I've never been to theMission Chinese restaurants but I enjoy the stories of cooks, chefs, etc. and thought it might be a good read.

Part-cookbook, part biography, part interview with Danny Bowien, Chris Ying and some of the people they've worked with, etc. the book itself is trying to be too much of everything without being any one thing. I think I was under the impression it was more of a
Haley
I've eaten at Mission Chinese a couple of times and have always been intrigued by the clearly-not-really-chinese nature of it. I've explained to Andre that it's very very good as long as you approach it from the angle of "this is a brand new thing" rather than expecting authenticity or familiarity. It was a lot of fun, then, to read this book, which is essentially half memoir (as a long-format interview) and half recipe book.
It's mentioned early on that the recipes are written pretty much
Julien
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really connect with the stories in the book and there we're enough recipes to make it a solid cookbook. It was more like a book of autobiographical vignettes, punctuated by recipes. I was hoping for more recipes to work with.
JDAZDesigns
Not what I expected.

More than I wanted.
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very frank, personal memoir with recipes from one of the best Chinese restaurants I’ve ever visited.
Katie Johnstonbaugh
So being from Oklahoma, I have a bit of loyalty to Danny, (whose roots came from here), but this was a great read. I love cookbooks that not only have recipes but a narrative weaving through them as well. you get quite the peek into the rise of Chinese Mission and the trials and tests of opening a restaurant. The recipes sound amazing but if you don't have a good Asian market, you'd be hard pressed to find some of the ingredients, although the Internet opens ingredients to all. This is not a ...more
Janet
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook, memoir-bio
Had the good fortune to finally eat at the SF restaurant this weekend so it made reading the book all the more yummy after eating the Salt Cod Fried Rice, Kung Pao Pastrami and Sichuan-peppercorn-numbing chicken wings. I will never make a single dish in this book, but I will now look to find Mapo Tofu on menus. Loved the personal stories shared here.
Dan
Jan 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed Bowien's story (both personal and professional) but the fun of the narrative's dialogue style wore off after a few chapters. All your favorite Mission Chinese recipes are covered, nice photography, and the chapter on stocking your pantry was helpful.
Derek Barnes
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A feast of exciting new umami-bombs from Danny Bowien.
Eric Dowdle
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
There are tons of memoir/cookbooks out there, but this is one of the best I've ever read on both counts.
Eye Summers
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
("the sauce with the angry old lady on the jar")
Nikki Ference
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's not just a cookbook. It's a journey. It's a memoir. It's amazing!
Kathleen Kosiec
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This isn't a traditional cookbook, but a raw and personal account of Mission Chinese. I'm in awe of Danny's creativity.
Patricia
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, cookbook
Three and a half to four stars
The recipes didn't interest me as much as the memoir and interviews did
Mickey
Jan 13, 2016
Kelcie
rated it did not like it
Dec 31, 2016

• Lucky Peach Presents 101 Easy Asian Recipes
  • Momofuku
  • Foundations of Flavor: The Noma Guide to Fermentation
  • I Am a Filipino: And This Is How We Cook
  • Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)
  • The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America's Most Imaginative Chefs
  • Food52 Genius Recipes: 100 Recipes That Will Change the Way You Cook
  • Matty Matheson: A Cookbook
  • Cooking South of the Clouds: Recipes and stories from China's Yunnan province
  • Feck Perfuction: Dangerous Ideas on the Business of Life (Business Books, Graphic Design Books, Books on Success)
  • How to Write an Autobiographical Novel: Essays
  • Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook
  • Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking
  • Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza
  • Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library (Mr. Lemoncello's Library #1)
  • All About Eggs