Start by marking “Ludwig Bemelmans Favorite Stories: Hansi, Rosebud and The Castle No. 9” as Want to Read:
Ludwig Bemelmans Favorite Stories: Hansi, Rosebud and The Castle No. 9

Ludwig Bemelmans Favorite Stories: Hansi, Rosebud and The Castle No. 9

Lavish illustrations, enchanting settings, and winsome storytelling abound in these three tales by Ludwig Bemelmans, creator of the classic Madeline books. Long out of print, these stories are now available in a single-volume treasury that promises to delight young readers.
Hansi recounts a winter holiday in the Alps, in which a city boy travels by horse-drawn carriage to U
Published May 18th 2016 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about Ludwig Bemelmans Favorite Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ludwig Bemelmans Favorite Stories

PattyMacDotComma
3.5★

I have such a fondness for Ludwig Bemelmans' Madeline that I just had to have a look at this recently published book of some of the author’s other work. I can see why it isn’t as well known.

This is a quaint little collection of stories. The first “Hansi”, has several chapters and tells very simply how Hansi lives, where he goes, who he visits and what he eats. He lives in Tyrol, which is in western Austria, and although we don’t know the date, in the village he visits, there are only horses
Wayne McCoy
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
'Ludwig Bemelmans Favorite Stories: Hansi, Rosebud and The Castle No. 9' by Ludwig Bemelmans is a collection of stories from the creator of the classic Madeline books.

Hansi tells the story of a young boy who goes to visit family in the mountains for a winter holiday in the Alps. Their ways are different, but he has fun skiing and feeding deer in the forest.

Rosebud is based on an African folk tale and has a smart rabbit beating brawny animals.

The Castle No. Nine is about a man who gets a job work
Psusan
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ludwig Bemelmans Favorite Stories by Ludwig Bemelmans is a collection of three whimsical stories by the author. I guess I wonder why these are three of the author’s favorites. They are very different kinds of stories, being even more different than Madeline.

Hansi is the story of a young city boy’s trip to the countryside. It reads as an account of what he sees and does. I found it interesting somewhat because of the descriptions. One I have never heard before is of a cow “She looked at the child
Cariadne
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
After those gorgeously done Madeline books, I suppose my hopes were high for a collection of his favorite stories. While I was disappointed it didn't have the same quality of glorious art seen in Madeline, I was surprised by the charm in the stories.

Hansi: A story about a young boy's holiday visiting the Tyrolese mountains with his uncle's family. I enjoyed the slice of life in learning how different Tyrolean life could be.

Rosebud & The Castle No. 9: Both were very sly in teaching lessons.
Elizabeth Grieve
Sep 10, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a charming reprint of a vintage children's book, from the author of the rather more well-known 'Madeleine' books. It's a collection of whimsical stories, with a lot of text, and while it has vintage appeal for adult readers, not sure that this would hold the attention of younger readers when compared to modern-day books.

A preview copy was provided by the publisher in exchange for a review.
crashqueen73
Would have liked to read this one in a hard copy format not on a kindle. It did not enhance the experience and as a result a DNF. But the illustrations were adorable and if there was a copy of this in the library I would definitely borrow it to have a closer look.
pati

Some old adventure stories brought back to life. They are like taking a step back in time, lots of fun
Britt
Elona
Jan 04, 2019
Jerome Wolfram
Jan 24, 2019
Ludwig Bemelmans was an Austrian author, an internationally known gourmand, and a writer and illustrator of children's books. He is most noted today for his Madeline books, six of which were published from 1939-1961. A seventh was discovered after his death and published posthumously in 1999.