Start by marking “Who Moved My Pulpit?: Leading Change in the Church” as Want to Read:
Who Moved My Pulpit?: Leading Change in the Church

Who Moved My Pulpit?: Leading Change in the Church

Who Moved My Pulpit? may not be the exact question you’re asking. But you’re certainly asking questions about change in the church—where it’s coming from, why it’s happening, and how you’re supposed to hang on and follow God through it—even get out ahead of it so your church is faithfully meeting its timeless calling and serving the new opportunities of this age.

Based on conv
Published June 1st 2016 by B Books

To ask other readers questions about Who Moved My Pulpit?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Moved My Pulpit?

Start your review of Who Moved My Pulpit?: Leading Change in the Church
Brooke Fradd
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'm not sure the low rating is deserved by the author, or if it goes deservingly to the American church. I couldn't wrap my mind around how petty church-goers can be.
John
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rainer writes with a direct simplicity that I appreciate. "Who Moved My Pulpit" is written to pastors who have struggled with leading their church through change. In other words, it's written to all pastors.

Although I've experienced some success in navigating change, it is my failures in leading change that loom large for me. I need this book.

Rainer begins by pulling apart a case study and examining the many ways we can fail in leading change. He then explains how different types of
Ciro
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christian
"Who Moved My Pulpit" is meant to be read as a kind of roadmap for ministers and lay leaders who encounter the challenges of leading change within congregations. Rainer's argument claims the church in United States is dwindling predominantly because it is fearful of change and adjustment. He uses his years of experience to reveal the roots of these fears as well as how we should approach the problem of church immobility.
The book is easy to read and approachable. The size is very manageable
Corey
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Helpful and practical guide for pastors and church leaders on leading change in their churches. Most churches are declining or not growing, and change is urgent. This book is realistic about how hard it is to lead a church or ministry to change. There are the early adopters (5%), those open to change (20%),the followers who simply go with whoever has the loudest voice or most influence (30%), those who are resistant to change (25%), and those who are highly resistant (20%), who basically are the ...more
Daniel Ligon
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a good book, though in my opinion not one of Rainer's best. As usual, Rainer uses a wealth of experience to communicate some helpful, practical tips about church ministry in a readable, storytelling style. In this book, Rainer's subject is change in the church. He doesn't use this book to push for a specific type of change, though he does say that some external changes are always necessary to avoid stagnation. I would tend to agree.

The strengths of this book are its easy to
Justin
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of Thom Rainer. I should mention that in the beginning. I have read all his books, read his blog, and follow a lot of his advice. I was so excited to receive this one for review.

This book is about church change and what goes into proposing healthy and church transforming change. Rainer's advice to couch everything in prayer is some of the most sound advice. His other advice, such as get a team to help support seems like a no brainer. It is funny how much of this advic
Garrett Trott
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
Thom Rainer provides a great book, with his intriguing title: “Who Moved My Pulpit?” The title comes from a real scenario that arose when a pastor decided to change the pulpit from a traditional lectern to a more conventional pulpit. Rainer uses this as an example that launches his discussion of change and the critical role it plays in the church, providing much needed insight on the significant role that change plays in the church. He states that church leaders do not have an option in leading ...more
PastorAaron
It is great for what it is. It is a simple, straightforward explanation of a healthy model for leading a church or ministry through change. Much of the content can be described as fleshed-out bullet-points with illustrations. There are other books for detailed analysis of each step and its theological or philosophical underpinnings. However, this is meant to be a quick and easy read. This keeps the points from being obscured or the reader from being bogged down, which easily happens in the large ...more
Chris Wilson
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dr. Rainer is a gift to church leadership at all levels. In all honesty I moved this book to the top of my to-read pile because of its relative brevity. However, I ended up being greatly challenged by the need to be in constant consideration of the following from the end of the book, "There will always be change to lead. It is a never-ending cycle of introducing change, implementing change, incorporating change, and introducing the next change."

As a church planter, less than one year
Jimmy Reagan
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The subtitle “Leading Change In The Church” says it all. Rainer is the premier expert on church change as he has exclusively given his life over to helping with local church issues. It’s the same size as his popular “I Am a Church Member”, but this time he aims specifically at those who are actively trying to change churches from a dying model.

Don’t confuse this book with those telling you to change to a specific new model. He only reminds us of our stated mission of reaching people
Michael Boutot
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WHAT I LIKE MOST ABOUT THE BOOK

What I liked most was that it was an easy and quick read. Thom addressed some very sensitive and difficult areas that relate to change within the local church. I love how he addressed specific areas and also how to anticipate responses. I really appreciated his ideas about establishing what he calls an "Eager Coalition". I also appreciate his statistical analysis of how people respond to changes. His section on "low hanging fruit" was very insightful. T
Mike
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ministry
Like Rainer's other works, I found this short read to be informative and practical. The author walks the reader through eight principles which are intended to leave lasting change for a stagnant or declining church. After a brief discussion concerning the state of the American church to include those unwilling to change, Rainer devotes a chapter to each particular principle.

If given the opportunity, I would have offered 3.5 stars instead of the 4 listed. Although the book was an easy
Michael Harshman
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Considering changes in your church? This is a must read!

"Who Moved My Pulpit?" is a very engaging book to read. Mr. Rainer covers the different stages that should be covered when making changes within a church. Too often, changes are made too quickly, resulting in resentment, resistance or people leaving the church. This book has such wisdom regarding how to more effectively make changes in a manner that has less resistance and ultimately will give glory to God. Most of our churches in America
Rick
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rainer addresses the churches face regarding change as that change pertains to church growth and its mission. Rainer focuses on the pastor as the chief leader and example setter where change is concerned, but doesn't let the church members off easily. In fact Rainer defines the different types of negative church members one can expect to encounter when a push for change is needed.

I did n0t agree with everything Rainer suggests in this book, but I did find that he supported his argume
Chris Whitehead
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it
It is sad that many churches across America would need a book like this. As a pastor, I read this book and I hope that our church would maintain the simplicity that would keep us from many of the problems that face those who would need this book.

I give the book 3 stars because while it doesn't really get to the heart of what exact "change" that it is trying to address, it is well written and easy to understand. Though, I think if we maintain the simplicity of what "church" is suppose
Jarred Edgecombe
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I do somewhat enjoy Thom Rainer books. He apparently forgot about his book "High Expectations" as this is one of his weakest books. It felt as if the author strained to make it like the book "Who Moved My Cheese?"

There were some good general principles of leadership in the book, such as picking the low hanging fruit (achieving small victories." I suppose that someone who is new to leadership would benefit from this book.

Frankly, the book was not worth the $12 that I paid for it. A s
Michael
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ministry
Really surfaced some wounds, and challenged my bitterness. Slightly repetitive in some places, which was bad because the book was so short, but good because it really drove home the point. I don't agree with everything that he says, such as how some churches can't be saved. Really easy and quick read, not just because it wasn't very long but also because it was just very readable. Great length for a leadership book, because you're probably busy. I recommend reading this for any church minister o ...more
Kurt Michaelson
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Two years ago I read An Autopsy of a Deceased Church and it spoke volumes regarding the situation I was experiencing and this book, Who Moved My Pulpit?, also speaks volumes of the challenges that pastors face within the church regarding leading change. It has been a very eye-opening book and I look forward to providing more of a review of this book, after I can review the highlights I've made and thinking over the points from the book.

This is a much needed book for all pastors and s
Gabe Bernal
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really loved this. I've been fortunate enough not to face some of the major resistance that was illustrated in this book, but change is hard to lead. Especially in the church. But Thom Rainer lays out some great bullet points for any leader to follow before executing change in a church. I've always been a fan of Thom Rainer's practical applications he lays out in his books, and this book excels at that.

Recommended for any leader in a church, especially if you are on staff. Though it
Jake Byrd
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was helpful for general guidance on leading change in a church as a leader, successfully providing a reliable roadmap for change. It serves its purpose and covers a broad range of issues that can be encountered throughout the change process. It can be a little repetitive and makes you wish you could read more on the topics that hit home. But this book is a good resource for pastors and church leaders with busy schedules who are looking for resources as they seek to change or revitalize ...more
Dr.
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely a “must read” for any Pastor or Church seeking to institute a change to be more Kingdom driven and successful. Leading change can and often is painful. Them Rainer provides great insight and depth of understanding in this realm. He ends with this statement - “God has called you to lead change for such a time as this. Be prepared. Be courageous. Be a leader of change for the glory of God.”
Jason Hoke
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When a new minister enters the church it must first be his church and he needs to be lead by Christ. Then as changes occur the new pastor needs to know that he will be collecting deposits as he helps others and builds confidence with others. Then when he would like to change something he will be making a withdraw from the deposits. If he ever over plays his checks he will be shown the door and it will only be his own fault. The more buy in the church has the smaller the check will be.
Lyndon
Oct 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, hardback
Fairly solid handbook on leading change in the local church - lots of talking points that one can share with the church board. It's not a bible study, so not a lot of scripture references in this short book. It's basically a collection of blog posts and bulletin points with commentary and assumes you know your bible background to what a healthy church should look like. Again, good for discussion. 3 1/2 stars.
Rick Robie
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have had the privilege to be in a lot of situations in the local church ; planted, merged, closed churches. Been through all of the modern churches and ushered most of them in the church. Mr. Rainer is spit on, correct in everything he has written about. Most church leaders need this knowledge. Do yourself and your church a favor get this book into your church leaders and start a small group study on it. Start the process, be the leader your church needs!! Excellent book!!!
Heather Martinez
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great little book! I love Thom Rainer because his books are short and sweet! Mainly to the point also. This book has to do w/ problems within the church and the changes that churches are going through within the 21st century.
Todd Brown
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Currently using this book for bible study. This book is great in stimulating conversations and engagement on the process of change. One thing the church always deals with is change. A good read for those who are called to be the agents of change in their respective areas of ministry.
Lindsey Wise
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book for church leaders/lay members that want to change their church. Take the quiz in the back of the book to determine if your church is ready for change. This book is so relatable, you would think it was written by someone in your own church!
William Scott III
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ministry, leadership
Highly recommend this book for any one who feels the call to ministry! This book will not only help you change your church, but will change the way you look at change as a whole. MUST READ FOR MINISTERS!
Sam
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Solid book. Short & easy to read. Organized for leading change in a congregation. Excellent reminders and advice.
Jamie Pennington
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good book. One that every pastor and church leader should pick up.
« previous 1 3 next »
First Church Bookies: Welcome! 1 3 Jan 28, 2017 10:43PM

• Church Planting Is for Wimps: How God Uses Messed-Up People to Plant Ordinary Churches That Do Extraordinary Things
  • Church Elders: How to Shepherd God's People Like Jesus (9Marks: Building Healthy Churches)
  • Jesus Driven Ministry
  • Saying It Well: Touching Others with Your Words
  • Expositional Preaching: How We Speak God's Word Today
  • What Is a Healthy Church?
  • The Conviction to Lead: 25 Principles for Leadership That Matters
  • Am I Called?: The Summons to Pastoral Ministry
  • The Cross and Christian Ministry: Leadership Lessons from 1 Corinthians
  • Growing Up: How to Be a Disciple Who Makes Disciples
  • Working the Angles: The Shape of Pastoral Integrity (The Pastoral series, #2)
  • Tell Someone: You Can Share the Good News
  • Designed to Lead: The Church and Leadership Development
  • Preaching for God's Glory
  • Brothers, We Are Not Professionals: A Plea to Pastors for Radical Ministry
  • Well-Intentioned Dragons: Ministering to Problem People in the Church
  • Simplicity in Preaching
  • Preaching: Communicating Faith in an Age of Skepticism
Thom Rainer is the president and CEO of LifeWay Christian Resources. Prior to LifeWay, he served at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary for twelve years where he was the founding dean of the Billy Graham School of Missions and Evangelism. He is a 1977 graduate of the University of Alabama and earned his Master of Divinity and Ph.D. degrees from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.

In a
“It’s really okay for low-hanging fruit to fail. It means the trial run did not work, but the church did not invest the resources in a major endeavor. Successful low-hanging fruit efforts are evident to almost everyone in the church. At the very least, there is a sense of encouragement in the congregation that something went well. Typically, though, the evidence is so compelling that the church becomes highly enthused. The excitement is palpable.” 0 likes
“Successful low-hanging fruit results will be clear, compelling, and, potentially, paradigm shifting.” 0 likes