Start by marking “Harry Potter: the Artifact Vault” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter: the Artifact Vault

Harry Potter: the Artifact Vault

Throughout the making of the eight Harry Potter movies, designers and craftspeople were tasked with creating fabulous chocolate-fantasy feasts, flying brooms, enchanted maps, and much more, in addition to numerous magical items necessary in a wizard’s everyday life—for example, newspapers with moving photos, vicious textbooks, and Howlers. Harry Potter: The Artifact Vault ...more
Published June 14th 2016 by Harper Design (first published June 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter, please sign up.
Xander ForeverBookish It says "This striking full-color compendium includes two exclusive bonus inserts—Gilderoy Lockhart’s classroom questionnaire and a Weasleys’ Wizard…moreIt says "This striking full-color compendium includes two exclusive bonus inserts—Gilderoy Lockhart’s classroom questionnaire and a Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes catalog—as well as many more surprises."
So, YES! :D(less)

Kai
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, to-buy, pottershelf
Another fun, informative and spectacular guide to the Harry Potter films. Can recommend to every Potterhead!

Find more of my books on Instagram
Miriam
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing gift for every Harry Potter-fan!

It is filled with interesting information about important artifacts from the films and illustrated with beautiful pictures and drawings. Some of them didn't even make it into the movies.
My favourite chapters were the one about the Weasleys Wizard Wheezes and the one called "At Hogwarts" featuring the Great Hall, school documents and much more.

But still I have to admit that I missed some information about wands...
Kaitlin
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction-2016
This was a birthday gift to me and I really, really loved it. I have to say that after having read Page to Screen which is another HP companion book I own, I thought I already knew a lot about the behind the scenes, but this goes way more in depth about the actual graphics department and the various props they had to make. I think one of the most interesting elements is seeing the truly ingenious and inventive ways the team had to devise props so that they could be interacted with, scaled up or ...more
leynes
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOW! Jody Revenson's best work so far. I started loosing faith in her after her horrible work of putting "Magical Places from the films together" (I mean those pages were done with no love and the picture she chose were nothing new and horrendous actually...) BUT "The Artifact Vault" is literally perfection. Every page was done in an intelligent and insightful way. The prints are amazing and actually large enough so you can read the subjects on Hermione's time table or which objects Luna lost at ...more
Jenny (Jen & Mel's Book Nook)
This was another beautiful Harry Potter companion book. I loved finding out the details behind how some of the most iconic and also some of my favourite Harry Potter items were brought to life for the movies. Definitely one to add to the collection!
Maarit
I've read too many of these as they're starting to repeat themselves unfortunately. This one is about them things made for Harry Potter films, how and why they were designed and how they appeared on screen. Most of these have already appeared on some other books similar to this one (all written by Jody Revenson of course), so there's actually almost nothing new information in this book except for some things that were cut off from the final screen version. Pretty pictures as always, but still, w ...more
Becky
This is another brilliant addition to the series - it gives a brilliant overview of all of the artifacts that are used within the films and tells the reader briefly about the various processes that went into creating the artifacts, where they were seen, and it offers a great insight into the creative process and into the people who made the objects that we see throughout the beloved films - I found this one a really helpful and interesting book to flip through and, as always, the illustrations a ...more
Elise Bradley
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This behind the scenes book on the artifacts used throughout the Harry Potter series was an absolute winner read for me.

It touches on the various amounts of research that underwent before each prop was made, the details that were crafted but hardly seen on-screen enough to satisfy their beauty and overall the magical realness that surrounded each and every artifact in the film series.

I found out a truckload of information that I would not have guessed before reading this book such as the creat
Sara
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-non-fiction
Don't know why I was surprised to find out that a lot of the things I thought were CGI were actual practical effects (a fancy term I learned while reading the book). Honestly they just surpassed everything it was expected of them for this movies. My favorite part about the props was always the amount of detail that went into Weasley's Wizard Wheezes Shop because it was a very short scene where you can barely see anything in full detail, but still they went all the way and just made the store abs ...more
anolinde
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
More like 2.5.

The pictures were cool, but the text had very little substance (e.g. "Harry got his Firebolt from Sirius and uses it for Quidditch practice" like... no shit, we know). Also, the captions were organized poorly - it would have been a lot less of a headache if they had paired them with the photos instead of clustering them all together in a block paragraph with things like "ABOVE RIGHT" and "OPPOSITE RIGHT" to clarify which was which.

I'll be donating this or selling it.
Samantha Nowatzke
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun for Potter fans - lots of pictures or props/artifacts & anecdotes from crafting scenes in the movies.
Jessica
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous and fascinating look into all the many, many different types of props made for the movies. Worth a read for any Harry Potter fan!
Jenna
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very fun to flip through!
Lauren
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Great photos and loads of information,
Hayley
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of detail and explanation about the designing, making and use of props from the HP films. I found it fascinating to read about how much work, time and effort when in to props that were only on screen a few seconds. Lots of great pictures too. Something I'll definitely read again!
Faizan
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jan-17
Damn Damn Damn

no word to describe it....

Helene Harrison
Review - I loved how this book even examined artifacts which were designed but which never made it into the final cuts of the films. It's amazing the kind of work that went into artifacts which were in the films for seconds, like the contents of Weasleys Wizard Wheezes, where every item was hand-designed and crafted for one scene. The scale and detail of things showed how much thought went into them, and where the inspiration and research came from - a very interesting read.

General Subject/s? -
Emma Rose Ribbons
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book as per usual in this series. I'm so happy I read this - The Artifact Vault in particular made me want to rewatch the film and pause during certain scenes to take it all in. One of my favourite sections was about Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes and all the work that went into it. Also made me want to visit The Wizarding World of Harry Potter even more, which I never thought was possible (it's been my dream ever since it opened).
Kate
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
If you're a fan of the Harry Potter movies, you'll enjoy this. Lots of behind the scenes info. I loved all the graphic design content - how, what and why they designed unique things for the movies.

But, there was a bit of "Really? Did you need to hand-letter every one of the 100+ bottles in the Pensieve cabinet in Dumbledore's office? Sure, the front row. Or the few that are actually in a shot and seen on-camers. But ALL of them?"

But still quite interesting.
Megan
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I got this book from my husband for Christmas and obviously already finished it, in 3 days. This book is very cool and really makes you appreciate the movies even more because you realize how much work they put into each object they created for the film's, even if you only saw it for 3 seconds. Great for a HP lover.
RumBelle
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, nonfiction
Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. The detail, the level of artistry that went into crafting all of these pieces was phenomenal. I also loved seeing the initial artwork for many of the artifacts talked about. How that art showed the evolving ideas, and how each artifact was conceived of and created was so interesting.
Ashley Beery
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Though some of this information is repeated in previous Harry Potter movie books, this one had a ton more photographs, a bit more information, and more props to look at. I love looking at all the little details that we don't catch in the movies, from the Daily Prophet articles and headlines, to the book covers from the classrooms.
Vanessa
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Its weird to list a book about Harry Potter as non-fiction. But it is. This book shoes the drawings, discussion and final pictures of the items used in Harry Potter films. Still felt I was in Harry Potter world at times.
Alaine
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Coffee table book showing stuff from the movies. I did not actually read it but the pictures are great! There's a pull-out Black family wallpaper mural at the end, and a Beedle the Bard booklet around the middle. I got a smile out of it.
Cat
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun behind the scenes tour of things from the harry Potter movies! Loved reading about all the foods created for the feasts! So much work, but so worth it for the movie! Great read for Harry Potter fans.
Heather
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Made me go back and watch random scenes in all of the movies so I could look back at some of the artifacts!
Kailyn
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book that helped me learn even more about the Harry Potter universe and how the movies were made. Tons of amazing illustrations and images. 😊
Elizabeth
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Alicia Weaver
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it just as much as the rest. It takes forever to read them though because it is information overload.
Hazel
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
damn these were some good props

• Inside the Magic: The Making of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
  • The Art of Harry Potter
  • The Case of Beasts: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
  • The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Chronicles IV: Cloaks & Daggers
  • The Art of the Film: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
  • Harry Potter Colouring Book #3 Magical Places & Characters
  • The Crowdfunding Bible: How to Raise Money for Any Startup, Video Game or Project
  • Court of the Dead: The Chronicle of the Underworld
  • Writing Short Films: Structure and Content for Screenwriters
  • William Shakespeare and His Dramatic Acts
  • Producer to Producer: A Step-By-Step Guide to Low Budgets Independent Film Producing
  • Ho
  • The Film Director's Intuition: Script Analysis and Rehearsal Techniques
  • Friends 'til the End: The Official Celebration of All Ten Years
  • Katherine Howard: The Tragic Story of Henry VIII's Fifth Queen
  • Harry Potter: The Wand Collection
  • Master Your Time, Master Your Life: The Groundbreaking Program for Discovering How To Put Time on Your Side
  • Teen Love, On Relationships: A Book For Teenagers