Start by marking “Read This if You Want to Take Great Photographs of People” as Want to Read:
Read This if You Want to Take Great Photographs of People

Read This if You Want to Take Great Photographs of People

No clichés. No cheese. No camera-club jargon. This straight talking introduction to photographing people is the hotly anticipated follow up to the bestselling Read This if You Want to Take Great Photographs.

Ideal for users of any camera with a basic knowledge of a few photo-fundamentals, this book walks you through the essential techniques of photographing people, whether
Published September 7th 2015 by Laurence King Publishing

Be the first to ask a question about Read This if You Want to Take Great Photographs of People

Start your review of Read This if You Want to Take Great Photographs of People
Erifili
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the first one, and loved this even more
Alex Hoskinson
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
Great book for photographers of all levels. It doesn't have a lot of jargon or technical info. It won't be boring when covering the "basics" (for experts), and it won't scare away beginners with anything too complicated.

It's full of solid, sound advice. Plus, it's nearly half beautiful photographs, so you'll have plenty of inspiration and entertainment along the way.

I'm looking forward to reading the others by this author.
Yeliz Küçükkoner
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Çok yararlı bir kitap olduğunu düşünüyorum. İnsan fotoğrafı çekmek kadar o fotoğrafı okumakla ilgili de çok güzel bakışaçıları sunuyor.
Eefje
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, books-i-own
Great and accessible, it doesn't get bogged down in the technical. Good start book.
Mr. P
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nice overview of aspects to keep in mind when making portraits. Easy to read due to the tiny one-pager chapters and the accompanying photo to each chapter.
Steph
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book shows me that a great portrait has many forms, and a lot of it is about trying to show the inner person while only being able to see the surface. At the same time, I was looking for something more aimed towards taking photographs that people will love of themselves. I learned a lot from the book, and I will probably be able to apply it to my photography, but I wish it gave more tips on how to shoot people and get natural, happy shots.
Nadim Khalil
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, it will change the way you look at a photograph, I've never known that you can get all this kind of information by looking into a simple photograph...I will keep reading all the series of these books...
Blair
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Again the strengths are the images that he exposes you to and the ways that different photographers have taken great pictures of people. Definitely not going to make me take "great" pictures but better ones. Still very light on anything but North American and European pictures.
Jakob Pagter
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Like his first "Read this if...", this is a great resource for a n00b such as myself. Some overlap, but provides lots of insights, both technically and artistically.
Kate Downton
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ondřej Lipár
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stručně a k věci, přitom inspirativně. Navrch pár technických tipů.
Jas
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I would recommend this to anyone wanting to photograph people. It touched upon a lot of what I learned in my degree and is a really handy reference and inspiring collection of portrait photography.
Mariana Bocoi
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good overview
Andrea Tejeda
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Es un libro práctico que arroja buenas ideas para la docencia pero sin profundizar.
Celal
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Harika!
Marcus
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brilliantly brief discussion on taking great pictures of people using great pictures of people to frame the subjects being discussed. Thought provoking, clever and inspiring.
Ching
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great textbook for beginners, interpreting masterpieces from concepts to skills
Jeff Ammons
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good practical info and lots of wonderful examples
Ietrio
May 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junk
Old, boring advice, just a rehash of the same old information with complete disregard to the latest in tech.
Carla
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pleasant, easy read or coffee table book. Hits all the main points of photography and encourages you to think about all things at play when taking photographs, and to look out for opportunities
IsabelleAnna
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Henry Carroll is a great teacher. Clear camera setting instructions and interesting composition ideas.
Chelsea
A solid read for beginners who are developing their skills. A nice refresher for those who have stepped away from photography and want to revive their interest.
Nikmaack
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
For a book all about composition, making design choices, etc, it seems very odd that they chose such a tiny, thin font that makes the book almost unreadable. This is particularly annoying when the text doesn't fill the page, with lots of white space. My guess? This book was designed to be much larger and then someone said, hey, we'll sell more books if it's a trade paperback size. They shrank the book, kept the same design, made it unreadable.

I mistakenly bought this book thinking it would be
Andrea Patruno
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography
Don't be fooled by the title, this is not one of those crappy books that steal your money by saying they're gonna make you a better photographer.
This is a wonderful book that analyses 150+ portraits photographs of any genre. Explaining how and why they're so powerful it teaches you techniques and different approaches to this wonderful field of photography.
You obviously won't become Steve McCurry just after reading this, you have to apply what you've learnt in this brief analysis of some of the
Gwyneth Talley
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
A great follow up to the "Read this if you want to take Great Photographs" with the focus being on portraits. It goes into detail about creativeness and all the kinds of portraits you can take. There are great "technical tangents" for getting more information about lighting, b&w photography vs. color, and film vs. digital.
Helsa Ardino
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If the first book of the set concentrated more on the technical stuff this was a very good read to give a little insight of how to feel people while taking photos giving a few brilliant ideas. Really liked the example pictures as well. An easy read for someone who is just stepping it's first photo steps :)
David
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want an instruction manual of how aperture, shutter speed, composition etc works; this isn't it.

Much better as a source of inspiration, how to think about photographing people and how to do it. Finished the book, then headed straight to a party with my camera.

Recommended!
Obile
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book providing illuminating examples of photographs of people from various artists. It doesn't get too bogged down by details and it is accessible.
Athoob Al-Shuaibi
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is an easy read. It discusses some important theoretical and few technical aspects about photographing people. I recommend it for street photographers.
Steven
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's ok! A few smart ideas. It's kind of the same old thing ! He uses too many other people's photos and doesn't offer any new ideas or suggestions ! He basically just tells you things he read!

• Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera
  • I Moved to Los Angeles to Work in Animation
  • Street Photographer
  • The Short Story of Photography: A Pocket Guide to Key Genres, Works, Themes & Techniques
  • How to Write a Lot: A Practical Guide to Productive Academic Writing
  • A Photographer's Life: 1990-2005
  • Vivian Maier: A Photographer Found
  • The Walking Dead, Book Two (The Walking Dead #13-24)
  • Ryan McGinley: Whistle for the Wind
  • Світ не створений
  • З країни рижу та опію
  • An Illustrated History of Filmmaking

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »