Start by marking “Who Was Jules Verne?” as Want to Read:
Who Was Jules Verne?

Who Was Jules Verne?

(Who Was/Is...?)

Meet the father of science fiction, Jule Verne.

Born in France in 1829, Jules Verne always dreamed of adventure. At age 11, he snuck onboard a ship headed for the Indies only to be discovered by his father and have his dreams dashed. After his father made him swear to only travel "in his imagination," Verne kept his promise for the rest of his life. He began writing adventu
Published June 7th 2016 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about Who Was Jules Verne?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Was Jules Verne?

Start your review of Who Was Jules Verne?
DeA
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
If you're looking for a biography about Jules Verne for children, I highly recommend this book. It was a simple read that was put in easy to digest chapters. The whole series is great for factual information for young readers about historical events and people. I am trying to work my way through the whole series.
David
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jules Verne was born in France in 1829 and it was soon clear that he had an ingrained spirit of adventure. Who Was Jules Verne? by James Buckley Jr. shares some of his early adventures as a kid like when he snuck onboard a ship bound for the Indies only to be retrieved by his father. His father wanted him to pursue a career as a lawyer but his interests were definitely elsewhere. Keeping his promise he made to his father, he finished his education to become a lawyer although he never actually pr ...more
Rachel
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
The father of science fiction whose stories are still beloved today. I haven't read any of his novels, but have seen some of the movies. He was very imaginative, and it is amazing how some of his predictions came true.
Shahd Rdawi
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Around the world in 80days has been one of my childhood movie, so glad to read the bio of its author after all!
KWinks
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Add this man to the "what important person would you invite to dinner list". I loved this. So casually mentioned that he was besties with Victor Hugo and Alexandre Dumas. You know, just two dudes.
Tiffany
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this set. Always a quick little read to learn a little about someone.
IVAN GARCIA  S.
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great summary of Verne's life

Easy-to-read book. This man was an amazing person in history. I actually recommend this book for everyone to read it and for your children.
Natalie
I've been reading Journey to the Center of the Earth and happened to have this book on hand so I thought it would be appropriate to read.

While I was reading Journey to the Center of the Earth I kept thinking "this reminds me of Poe" and I learned in this bio that Jules Verne was actually a big fan of Poe. He even wrote some sequels to some of Poe's short stories.

Of this whole series, this was probably my favorite illustrations. They are more realistic than the others. Very beautiful.

*Jules gr
Diego Palomino
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful little book, another of those I read with my ten year old. She chose this biography because we had read around the world in 80 days. Contrary to what we had read about his life, he did not want to be a sailor and his father prohibited him, according to that bio he then started to write to compensate for his desire to see the world. Instead, Jules Verne was an educated man (attorney) who loved science, this love of science allowed him to write science-fiction stories. When we read aroun ...more
Karen
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book in the "Who was..." series. As a long time fan of Jules Verne I was interested to find out the background of what led to the fascinating books he wrote. I learned a great deal about his background, spurred by a love of travel and science, that led to some great works of science fiction. I love this series of books. I also love the simple black and white illustrations.
Tam Newell
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Considered the father of science-fiction, Jules Verne led a quiet, normal life. Not at all the life I expected for a great adventure writer and science lover. One of the parts I am enjoying about the books in this series is the use of sidebars to add historical information about events, people, and places. It’s a good compilation of the biography with the history around the person.
Brianna Harmon (Maiden’s Blush)
This is the second “Who Was...” book I’ve picked up (after J. R. R. Tolkien) and I think I enjoyed this one even more so. Verne’s wanderlust combined with his infamous lovechild: “science-Fiction” make him one of the most interesting authors to study. The illustrations, again, were to die for, too.
Slow Man
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Jules Verne is the father of Science Fiction. He based all his creations on scientific advancements. He made a lot of predictions about the future of the world that came true and he is the inspirations to many great and famous writers and people in the science field. An inspiring read.
Yvonne
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jules Verne was a visionary and a man clearly ahead of his time. This was a fascinating journey of his life and brilliance. Made me want to read some of his books.
Nancy Thompson
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, 6th-grade-hs
A little bit of autobiography reading for me and my son before we start Around the World in 80 Days. I love this series. They actually had quite a bit in the book that we didn’t already know.
Emma
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How did I not know that Journey to the Center of the Earth was a book before a movie? I just got schooled.
Stasia
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am now on a quest to read EVERY book ever written by Verne.
Teaching: Highlight for sci-fi and 600's- applied science and technology
Amy
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have seen multiple books around from this series, but this is the first one that I actually chased down to read. My 10 year old son is reading "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" right now. He's enjoying it, but I don't think he realizes how amazing and creative the story is from the era it was written in. This biography really helped give us more of a picture of when and where he was when he wrote about the extensive under sea exploration that would have seemed so fantastic to the original audienc ...more
Kelly Gimmler
This book is a biography, nonfiction all about Jules Verne and where he came from and what he has done. It is really good for mid-elementary (maybe grades 2-4) due to its simplicity and included pictures. Verne wrote a lot and was from France and advanced science fiction a LOT! Only 3 stars because it'd take a special reader who likes history and may be good for classroom use.
Nathaniel
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i liked it
David
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25 Very informative and touches not only on Jules Verne, but also covers the history and authors of his time.
Maeve
Who DOESN'T love Jules Verne!? I love this series & this one was very good. ...more
Maureen
Jan 30, 2018
E
Apr 18, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Who Was Stephen Hawking?
  • Who Was Galileo?
  • What Was the Titanic?
  • I Survived the Attack of the Grizzlies, 1967 (I Survived, #17)
  • Where Is the Parthenon? (Where Is?)
  • Who Was Norman Rockwell?
  • What Was the Great Depression?
  • What Was the Age of the Dinosaurs?
  • The Fish of Our Fathers
  • Where Is Easter Island?
  • A Child's Garden of Verses
  • What Was Pearl Harbor?
  • Nursery Rhymes
  • Where Is the Brooklyn Bridge? (Where Is?)
  • Jason and the Golden Fleece
  • Lotsa de Casha
  • Where Is Walt Disney World?
  • Water Witcher
In addition to his work as a professional editor, James Buckley, Jr., is also the author of many books on American sports that are geared toward young fans and budding athletes.

Buckley, who has founded a company called Shoreline Publishing Group to produce books for reluctant readers, maintains that sports are far more than simple hobbies or ways to burn off excess energy.

Who Was/Is...? (1 - 10 of 161 books)
  • Who Was Abigail Adams?
  • Who Was Abraham Lincoln?
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Who Was Alexander Graham Bell?
  • Who Was Alexander the Great?
  • Who Was Alexander Hamilton?
  • Who Was Alfred Hitchcock?
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Who Was Andrew Jackson?
  • Who Was Andy Warhol?