Start by marking “A Season of Ruin (Sutherland Scandals, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Season of Ruin (Sutherland Scandals, #2)

A Season of Ruin

(Sutherland Scandals #2)

Anna Bradley, author of  A Wicked Way to Win an Earl, continues her Sutherland Scandals series with a tantalizing new Regency romance filled with opulence, elegance, and forbidden desire...

Lily Somerset’s plan for the London season is simple: courtship, marriage to a respectable gentleman, then the comfortable existence of a proper Lady. That is, until one tiny misstep
Mass Market Paperback, 294 pages
Published August 2nd 2016 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about A Season of Ruin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Season of Ruin

Marrying Winterborne by Lisa KleypasBecause of Miss Bridgerton by Julia QuinnDuke of Sin by Elizabeth HoytThe Earl Takes All by Lorraine HeathMy American Duchess by Eloisa James
2016 Historical Romance
303 books — 615 voters
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddThen Came You by Lisa KleypasThree Nights with a Scoundrel by Tessa DareMy Dearest Enemy by Connie BrockwaySnow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
"Lily"
116 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Angie Elle
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to BERKLEY and Netgalley for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I’ve been looking forward to A Season of Ruin ever since I finished the first book in this series, A Wicked Way to Win an Earl. I love a rakish hero, and just like his brother Alec, Robyn Sutherland did not disappoint. This book starts right off with a bang, though to Robyn’s dismay, not a real one. An accidental tryst with Lily Sutherland brings to light an attraction he wasn’t even aware he ha
Caz
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
I've given this a C- at AAR.

I enjoyed Anna Bradley’s début, A Wicked Way to Win an Earl last year, and in my review said:
“Her writing is deft and intelligent with a nice touch of humour, and she has taken a well-used plotline and made good use of it by peopling it with distinctive characters and strongly-written relationships.”

As a result, I was really looking forward to her follow up book, which was to pair off the hero’s roguish brother and the heroine’s rather uptight sister.  Unfortunately,
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Kitty's review posted at Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

I love the Sutherland’s. They are just so much fun! I know when I am in the mood to be brought back to times-gone-by, Anna Bradley will definitely bring me to times of high tea, scandal, the Ton, balls and duels. She did not disappoint me one bit with A Season of Ruin … she gave me everything that I expected, and then some.

Robyn was a hoot right from the beginning. You knew that he was going to be a fun-loving Rogue. He didn’t care about anyt
Anna's Herding Cats

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup.
Amazon: http://amzn.to/2aqVwM8

Sometimes you ask the world for one simple little thing--a proper and respectable man--and the world is like pffft wicked rogue for you! *hangs head* Such is the case for Lily. A quiet life? Nope...she's gonna get scandal hounding her heels and one oh so tempting but oh so naughty male who's all about a good time...not commitment. Yeah.

The gist of it is that historical homeboy screwed up and the only way to keep Lily from
Liz F
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review copy courtesy of the publisher via NetGalley.

I thought Anna Bradley was a new-to-me author but when I looked her up on Goodreads, I realized that she's probably pretty new to everyone! This book, A Season of Ruin, is the second book in her Sutherland Scandals series but it's also her second book...period. So I don't feel so out of it now! LOL!

I really liked Lily. There were a couple of times where I thought that maybe she was a little too naive. Maybe. And it really bothered me. But then
Amanda
I’m really sad to say that I couldn’t make it past chapter one of A Season of Ruin. In it, the hero mistakes the heroine for a paramour and doesn’t stop kissing her even when she tries to rebuff his advances. She ‘gives in’ eventually, but that is NOT the same thing as consenting. It got even worse when this gem of a thought passed through the hero’s brain:
“...the idea of overcoming her token resistance aroused him. He would make her open for him. He would coax her, render her so dizzy with pas
Heather andrews
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Robyn is a cunning little devil where Lily is concerned, "Robyn moved a step closer. “I didn’t know it was you I’d kissed. If I let you slap me again, may I kiss you once more?” I liked that even though Robyn was hurt he was eager to soothe his woman, that counts as a good man in my book, “it’s all right, love. Oh, no— don’t cry, Lily.” Too late. Her blue eyes filled with tears. “It doesn’t hurt a bit, ” he lied, desperate to make her stop. It did, of course. It hurt like hell..." I loved this b
Annie
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Absolutely loved this
Becky
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
*sigh* so loving the Anna Bradley books. Her writing just totally pulls me in. Gives me butterflies. Makes me feel feels. Makes me tear up. I love it.

This book is the second of the Sutherland Scandals series. It can be read as a stand-alone. Of course I recommend you read the first book, A Wicked Way to Win an Earl, because it’s my favorite book ever 😍 and you’ll get some history on Robyn, as well as Delia and Alec’s story, who are occasionally secondary characters in this story.

Robyn’s family h
Adria (Musings and Reviews)
Originally posted on Adria's Romance Reviews
* A copy of this book was and provided by the publisher via NetGalley for the purpose of an honest review. All conclusions are my own responsibility and I was not compensated for this review.

Lily’s perfectly planned London season basically goes to hell in a hand basket when a social misstep lands her on the front pages of a notorious gossip column. Her “partner in crime?” None other than Robyn Sutherland, wicked rogue, ruiner of ladies, and now, Lily’s
Ermione Pickwick
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing

This series is fantastic, the first romance was a marvellous surprise, which means that I had expectations for this one. Expectations that have been satisfied.

The author has that great, rare capacity to deeply engage the reader, I was very moved by some parts of the story.

The tension, attraction, longing, between the protagonists is more than palpable; I love a story where the hero is tormented by the emotions for the heroine, and I love the struggle (which makes me slightly sadistic I guess).
Jordan
May 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Oh man, I so enjoyed the first in this series, 5 stars. This hero just seemed like he wanted to 'win' for most of the book. I know becoming less selfish was part of his journey, but it took him almost the entire book, and the romance suffered greatly in the meantime, for me at least. I think the couple in the first book must have used up all the interesting past experiences and motivators too, because what served for that in this book was paltry. Very small- (view spoiler) ...more
Hannah
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Robyn wasn't my favourite character in A Wicked Way to Win an Earl, and it was the same case here. I adored Delia's love story, but Lily's fell flat and full of historical romance tropes.

Also Robyn is a girl's name and his real name was Robert (which is gorgeous) but it was never really explained why he was Robyn???
Saly
Tarra
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not as good as the first, so I was disappointed because I loved Robyn in book one.

This one was just slow and the characters somewhat boring.
AnnMarie
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Season of Ruin is the second book in the 'Sutherland Scandals' series by Anna Bradley. I haven't read the first in the series, but it in no way makes this book less enjoyable. As with most series though, I think it's nice to read the previous books if you can because it is always great to catch up on characters you undoubtedly will have loved in those books.

This is the story of Lily Somerset, and Robyn Sutherland. Lily is a woman who although has a passionate nature, will never let it show. Ev
Samantha
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
From the moment I put down A WICKED WAY TO WIN AN EARL, the first book in Anna Bradley’s Sutherland Scandals, I’ve been very impatiently awaiting the next in the series. A SEASON OF RUIN did not disappoint! Anna Bradley has a gift for writing formulaic historical romance plots that feel fresh and even vital. If you enjoy a traditional historical romance, Anna Bradley is up there with the best of them!

A SEASON OF RUIN stars Lily Somerset, sister of Delia from A WICKED WAY TO WIN AN EARL. Lily is
Pam
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have been looking forward to this book since I finished A Wicket Way to Win an Earl. This author is a joy and her book continued my love of her voice and character driven stories. The hero and heroine go through transformations that had me wanting to read even when real life interfered.

Robyn is truly a forgotten son; never in line for a title he is the fun loving rogue who does not see any problems with his lifestyle. While hiding away in a dark room he awaits a tryst with a married woman but
Crystal ♥ RBtWBC
Author, Anna Bradley, dazzles with the second installment in her enticing Sutherland Scandals series, A Season of Ruin!

In the first book we were introduced to both the Somerset’s, a once prestigious family in the ton and the Sutherland's, a family struggling to keep their good name. In A Season of Ruin we're reunited with these fun, witty, and oft times scandalous two family's. I loved taking a step back in time with Ms. Bradley's vivid story-telling! From lavish balls, to structured tea times,
eyes.2c
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

... missteps and misalliances!

A darkened room, mistaken identify, a lovers tryst gone awry, and the unforgiving ton!
Robyn Sutherland finds the kisses he shares with another leave him unsettled.
Lily Sommerset, who's not looking for an untrustworthy rake, especially her brother-in-law. She wants a beau without a blemish on his record, like the handsomely pedestrian Lord Atherton.
Lily appears to suffer from an anxiety disorder. Everything must line up and Robyn, selfish hedonist, and wickedest rake
Amanda
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been waiting for this book since A Wicked Way to Win an Earl and it was WORTH the wait.

Where do I begin? Robyn - I can't remember when I last loved a bad boy as much as I loved him. He is wicked and he knows it. After his encounter with Lily, he attempted to carry on his life as he knew it, but his heart and body knew better.

Lily is demure and all that is ladylike but for one very surprising chapter of this book. I actually paused and readjusted my entire picture of her, which meant re-re
Deidre
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Historical Romance with a touch of Humor
Amazing! I have recently been in a reading rut......grrr.... But, within the 1st 10 pages of this book I was hooked! I sat down and read until the pages were gone and was wishing for some more.
Anna has a way of writing that draws you in .... she has created a vibrant setting and characters that allows you to picture yourself there and apart of it. I am looking forward to reading book 1 next and will be adding her books to my list favorite historical romance novels.

I received a copy of this boo
Nelle
Sometimes men are asses. Sometimes men are clueless. Robyn is both all the Time! He literally cares about no one. He's always disappointing his mother, brother, and sisters. He's the essential indolent rogue. Then he pulls Lily into his arms and his life changes. It's not a 180 but a slow progression. A VERY SLOW progression. Lily likes everything in order. She feels safe when things are in there proper places. Robyn likes to bring out the "other " Lily, the one with passion and courage.

In the
Tellulah Darling
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Best friend's older brother AND enemies to lovers trope all wrapped in a witty, sexy HR? Yes, please. Exactly what I needed on a lazy summer day. Robyn and Lily are a delight to spend time with.

Thank you to Berkley Publishing Group and NetGalley for a copy in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Molly
I do love it when a hero becomes totally unhinged over a heroine. This was a fun read. Our girl Lily was put through the emotional ringer, but she handled it with aplomb. Robyn was charming and fun, and it was nice to see him drop his rakish ways because he wanted to be a better person for Lily. This was charming!
Coral
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Romancing the Book
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, romance
Reviewed by Rachel
Book provided by NetGalley
Originally posted at Romancing the Book

There are some regency romances that by the first page, you know the author gets it. They get society. They get characters. They paint scenes. And they understand how human emotion works.
Anna Bradley is one of those authors.

Lily was painted exactly as a woman during the regency period should be painted. Marriage minded, with a bit of sass, and in desperate need to find a nice upstanding gentleman to marry so she c
Nessa
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I ALMOST OVERLOOKED THIS ONE AFTER READING THE FIRST BOOK IN THIS SERIES. GLAD I DIDNT BECAUSE WE DO GET A GLIMPSE OF DELIA AND ALEC'S POST MARRIAGE LIFE!

ROBYN AND LILY was an unlikely couple that never crossed my mind. They really did feel platonic to me until the author crossed that line with an opening, passionate kiss in chapter one.

OUR HERO seemed beyond hopeless when first introduced in Alec's story and I didn't quite like him as much because he appeared like a cardboard rake. Nothing spe
Vrinda
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can honestly say that I haven't read a historical romance quiet like this for some time now. The hero, Robyn (a charming name for a charming rogue) was a flawed character, and not just because of the dramatic history with his father, but because he didn't change too dramatically. Sometimes, we forget that in books, and in life, although our circumstances make us and unmake us, they don't alter our core personalities.
The heroine, Lily is such a dear. She is everything good and proper, and her j
Tera
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, romance
I seem to go at these series through the second book and then backwards. This was my first foray into the historical romance genre, thanks to Library Journal giving it a starred review, and from this book, I was hooked!
While I had not read the previous book in the series, I got quite caught up in the book from the get-go. The passion starts almost from the very first page, and it hooks you in. I loved the characters and the writing and the building of tension. I also loved the view of the ton, e
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Jul 07, 2016 11:55AM

• This Earl is on Fire (Season's Original #2)
  • One-Eyed Dukes Are Wild (Dukes Behaving Badly, #3)
  • His Mistletoe Bride (The Stanton Family, #4)
  • Wedding Night with the Earl (The Heirs' Club of Scoundrels, #3)
  • Miss Mistletoe (Sealed With a Kiss, #1.5)
  • Desperately Seeking Suzanna (Tricks of the Ton, #2)
  • A Debt to Delia
  • Marry in Haste (Marriage of Convenience, #1)
  • Masquerading Mistress
  • Confessions of an Improper Bride (Donovan Sisters, #1)
  • The Lady and the Highlander (A Highland Fairytale, #3)
  • The Rogue Is Back in Town (The Wayward Wallflowers, #3)
  • A Duke in the Night (The Devils of Dover, #1)
  • If the Earl Only Knew (The Daring Marriages, #1)
  • The Book of the Seven Delights
  • How I Married a Marquess (The Secret Life of Scoundrels, #3)
  • Again, My Lord (Twist, #2)
  • The Harlot Countess (Wicked Deceptions, #2)
Anna Bradley is an award-winning author of steamy Regency Historical Romances. Anna lives with her husband and two children in Portland, OR, where people are delightfully weird and love to read.

Readers can get in touch with Anna via her webpage at http://www.annabradley.net, or, for all things romance (and an occasional "hot hero" pic!) please visit Anna on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/ann

Sutherland Scandals (2 books)
  • A Wicked Way to Win an Earl (Sutherland Scandals, #1)
“Oh, how glorious it must be, to care nothing for society’s censure, but how terrible it must be, to care for nothing at all.” 1 likes
“His hopes for a brawl faded as he neared Mayfair without any sign of a footpad or even an obliging cutthroat. Good God, what had London come to when a single gentleman remained unmolested on the streets at night?” 1 likes