Start by marking “Night Flower (Court of Fives, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Night Flower (Court of Fives, #0.5)

Night Flower

(Court of Fives #0.5)

This gorgeous romance from World Fantasy Award finalist Kate Elliott is a prequel to Court of Fives, the epic story of Jessamy and her struggle to do what she loves in a society suffocated by rules of class and privilege.

Kiya is a Commoner who has just arrived in the bustling city of Saryenia. Esladas is a member of the Patron ruling class and determined to prove himself i
Published December 8th 2015 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Night Flower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Flower

Start your review of Night Flower (Court of Fives, #0.5)
Justine
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
A really sweet and romantic story of how Jessamy's parents first met and fell in love. It let me see Ensladas in particular in a slightly different and more generous light than he comes across in the early part of Court of Fives. ...more
Amanda
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Joel
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a very nice little 'Romeo and Juliet' esque story, involving a naive Saroese man and a young Efran woman, who awkwardly meet and attempt to get to know each other better, despite a language barrier. Their love is forbidden by all around them, but they continue to pursue it in spite of that.

It was very well written, and a nice little piece of worldbuilding for Kate's Court of Fives world. I enjoyed it quite a bit.
Jesse Nicholas
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books, fantasy
I loved seeing the birth of Jessamy's parents' relationship. It was adorable and added life and personality to her parents. In world set against them, they stand together and fight back against the customs of the land. The ending sentence captured all the feels. Awesome novella!
Teleseparatist
Dec 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, owned, 2015
Kim Campbell
I loved how they met and how their relationship developed! It's bittersweet if course, we know it ends badly later on. But the start was full of promise and romance. Esladas and Kiya were so determined to buck tradition and find a way!
Shelley
Dec 03, 2015 rated it liked it
*Source* Amazon
*Genre* Fantasy, Romance
*Rating* 3.0

*MY Thoughts*

Night Flower is a short novella, 50 pages, that is considered the prequel to Court of Fives series. This story is very much about the love between Kiya, and Eslados who will one day become the parents of Jessamy and her sisters from Court of Fives. A love affair that is frowned up by both sides, and against the law for them to have children. Children of Efean Mothers and Saroese Fathers are called Mules. This we know from reading Co
Jana
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

This novella precedes Kate Elliott's Court of Fives and Poisoned Blade as a prequel to the planned COURT OF FIVES trilogy, showing when Jessamy's parents Esladas and Kiya met as young adults. So if you've read those two novels already, many details and character names will seem significant without the text going into explicit detail, which is a nice feature. The ending, in particular, is lovely, though the entire novella is a little bittersweet to me, since I already k
Bitchin' Reads
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I would love to talk about how much I love this love story, but I am just a puddle of love after reading this inspiring love story of how important it is to fight for what you believe to be right in love. ❤
Girl
Dec 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
It's a lovely story, albeit somewhat soured by the knowledge of what is to come.
Allison
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Can I give this a 2.75? It's a cute short story of how Jessamy's parents first meet, but I wish it had been a little longer with more information--for example, on Esladas' friends. (Three of them aren't even given names!) And while this short story doesn't spoil the Court of Fives trilogy, this story makes more sense if you read at least the first book before this.
Tamara
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute story about how Kiya and Esladas met. It’s kind of sad, though, knowing how things end in the Court of Fives novels.

Cameo by Inarsis. You can see where Kiya got some of her children’s names (Wenru is an uncle, Amayat is a vender she worked for, Marayam is a distant relative she stayed with).

Note: Can’t recall anything bad.
Kathryn
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully written love story

This short novella was easy to digest and very satisfying. Two people are drawn together against all odds yet know in their hearts the only way forward is together. A beautiful finish!
Kiwi Carlisle
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This is quite a pretty prequel to the Court of Fives stories, romantic and sweet, without, thankfully, much foreshadowing of the sadness and troubles to come for these characters.
Jacquelyn
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read it on my lunch break. Burst into tears at the last line. Couldn't stop crying for 10 minutes. Five stars.
Georgina
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Very sweet little book.
Heather
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Weird, because the mom has no personality in Court of Fives, and then is suddenly an important revolutionary in Book 2. Elliott needs to pick one. Nice to see another side of Esladas though.
Brian Begley
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This series is great, and while this is a short piece, it's important to the whole.
Melissa
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful. Kiya and Esladas are the Effian and Soroese version of Romeo and Juliet. This was very sweet and I enjoyed learning about two characters that really don't get fleshed out in the trilogy.
Marissa
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
A nice little tale that provides background on how Jess's parents met. This is a good supplement to the trilogy.
Jailyn
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2018
I like the idea of the story and the story itself, but the implementation, the writing, was a little clumsy.
Aneta
An easy, uncomplicated read. I really liked the extended focus on cultural differences and language barrier. And tbh I could relate to Kiya a lot in certain aspects.
Eliza
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diakka
Good
Swuun
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A great addition to the series - this look at where Kiya and Esladis came from and found in each other was quite lovely (if bittersweet with the benefit of a reader's hindsight).
Anna
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
2.5/5 stars
Cas
Night Flower provides us with an account of Esladas and Kiya's first meeting and the meetings that transpired after. It's a tale of love despite what others claim and it hurts knowing the ending of Buried Heart then reading this.
Fantasy Literature
4.5 stars from Jana, read the full review at FANTASY LITERATURE

Night Flower, currently only available online, is a prequel novella to Court of Fives, the first book in Kate Elliott’s YA fantasy trilogy (also titled COURT OF FIVES). The relationship between Doma Kiya and Captain Esladas — the parents of Jessamy, teenaged Fives adversary and central figure of the trilogy — is a matter of speculation for many, especially the Saroese nobles who view this pairing with disgust and disdain. In this nov
Lisa Hoang aka The Consummate Reader
Star-crossed first loves. the FEELS!

This novella was a nice addition to the Court of Fives universe. It was nice to see the world from Kiya and Esladas' POV. We see their first meeting and the beginnings of their relationship. It's sweet and genuine, but a cruel fist encircles my heart and squeezes because I know what is to become of them. *SPOILER ALERT* After reading Court of Fives, I had some doubts as to Esladas feelings towards Kiya. In a world where one is seen as a servant and the other,
Jenevieve
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
Review first posted on My Blog.

A prequel to Court of Fives which shows the meeting of Jessamy's parents, Kiya and Esladas. Kiya is a Commoner who has just arrived in the city of Saryenia under her uncle's care to see city life before returning to her village and taking her place as a full adult member there. Esladas is the youngest son of a Patron with no prospects for inheritance and has made his way to the city to become a soldier and make his own way. He has just barely arrived when he wander
Lena
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
A prequel story done well, with plenty of additional worldbuilding and insight into characters. There were a couple of "whoa" minutes for me. We get to find out who Amaya and (view spoiler) are named after, and there's a bit in which Esladas reflects on his own relationship with his father and his hopes for how he'll treat him children that broke my heart into tiny pieces.

As a romance, it was cute. It felt more realistic than most romances, and it's based on mutual respect

• The Pale Dreamer (The Bone Season, #0.5)
  • After the Crown (The Indranan War, #2)
  • The Vicious Deep (The Vicious Deep #1)
  • The Vast and Brutal Sea (The Vicious Deep #3)
  • The Savage Blue (The Vicious Deep #2)
  • I Remember You
  • Touch
  • Angel of Storms (Millennium’s Rule, #2)
  • The Breathtaker
  • A Ruin of Shadows
  • The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)
  • To Heaven and Back: The True Story of a Doctor's Extraordinary Walk with God
  • Belle Révolte
  • By Sea & Sky: An Esowon Story (The Sky Pirate Chronicles #1)
  • With Malice
  • The Trick to Time
  • Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels, #1)
  • Who Owns England?
As a child in rural Oregon, Kate Elliott made up stories because she longed to escape to a world of lurid adventure fiction. She now writes fantasy, steampunk, and science fiction, often with a romantic edge. She currently lives in Hawaii, where she paddles outrigger canoes and spoils her schnauzer.

Court of Fives (3 books)
  • Court of Fives (Court of Fives, #1)
  • Poisoned Blade (Court of Fives, #2)
  • Buried Heart (Court of Fives, #3)