Start by marking “Thoughts for Young Men” as Want to Read:
Thoughts for Young Men

Thoughts for Young Men

Thoughts for Young Men is practical, spiritual, and lively. Abounding in advice and good sense, it is still as relevant and helpful in the twenty-first century as it was when it was first published in 1865.
Published October 9th 2015 by Banner of Truth (first published 1886)

To ask other readers questions about Thoughts for Young Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thoughts for Young Men

Start your review of Thoughts for Young Men
Barnabas Piper
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While it is addressed to young men, so much of what is said applies people of both genders and all ages. It is a book of biblical foundations for Christian living, and it shoots straight and uses large caliber ammunition. Ryle packs so much wisdom into these 80 pages - I would recommend this to just about anyone seeking a stronger relationship with God.
Ezra
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, absolutely everyone
A medicine cabinet of aged wisdom and tender care.
Besides the Bible, this is the most effectual and potent book I have ever read.
Do yourself a favour and read it.
Ivan
This book is a short yet passionate plea of a man in the latter years of life to young men. Though written about a hundred years ago, this booklet is full of truths that are no less relevant today.

The books is divided into four sections with a conclusion. In section one, Ryle begins with reasons for his exhorting young men. In section two, he then focuses on five specific dangers which young men to be warned of (e.g. pride, the love of pleasure, the fear of man’s opinions, etc.). In section thre
wpschrec
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: men-and-family
Very very good. This is a must read for every man, not just young, but especially young. I would encourage young men to make this a yearly read. It's a good short read, something I should have read 5 years ago.

Ryle hits on "Why young men especially need to be cautioned", "Their specific, common pitfalls", "Things they need to do to avoid a sinful, wicked life", "Rules to implement to help them live a godly life".
Luke Smoke
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most hard hitting little books I have ever read. Ryle's holistic critiques of the 19th century young man are no less applicable today, spurring men and women alike onward to godliness and action. I keep several copies of this book to give away.
- concise
- surprisingly applicable in 21st century
- blunt
- insightful
- exposes the sinful heart of humanity
- full of scriptural references
Brent McCulley
Few books can touch the reader's generation with profound biblical insights and practical theological exhortations - still fewer can do this not only for the generation wherein it was written, but a generation hundreds of years removed from its original publication!

J.C. Ryle is a beloved favorite, and this short treatise is further evidence of his careful and scrupulous study making sure every action is aligned with God's Word. Ryle's clarion call to young men is so fantastically pertinent for y
David Steele
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: men, parenting
Essential reading for every Christian man. Ryle drills down on almost every topic imaginable - sin, temptation, faithfulness, integrity, devotional life, friendship, work ethic, etc. My third time through. Honestly, it gets better every time!

I read Thoughts for Young Men with my seventeen-year old son. The book was deeply encouraging for my boy. I recommend every Christian father and grandfather to read JC Ryle with their sons/grandsons.
Christian Barrett
Dec 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ryle’s works are convicting and thought provoking. This short book for young men is no different. Here he challenges young men to not waste their youth by pursuing sinful passions, but to use their youth to grow closer to Christ and to grow in godliness. A great book that any man should read.
Peter Jones
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am going to have sons read this, hopefully more than once. But you don't need to be 17 to be pricked by this book. Ryle is simple, applicable, and solidly evangelical. An excellent book to for all men, but especially young ones. ...more
Jesvin Jose
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an encouraging and convicting read! There's nothing extraordinary in this book - just plain wisdom from the Bible and everyday experience. But it's much needed counsel for all young men, in every generation! Recommended. ...more
Wade Stinson
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exceptional work that highlights common sins within young men and states effective ways to
combat them through God’s word.
Samuel Kassing
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven’t read much of Ryle but this little book was a practical book chalk full of wisdom and down to earth guidance. What struck me while I was reading it was how applicable it was to today’s context.
Wesley Crump
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
It is like you are being disciplined and advised by your grandpa. If you grandpa was a famous theologian and pastor who spoke in old english.

I think the book is best used not by young men but older men who want to disciple, lead, and help young men grow.
Josiah Brown
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an amazing book. This has made me really think more about how to serve God. I highly recommend it.
Zack Clemmons
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prepping for a middle school boys' study by revisiting this familiar collection of advice from Bishop Ryle. Still too dualist for my taste (and conviction), and perhaps a little overeager on the prohibitions side of things, but full of wisdom well earned, and the sort of confrontational zeal boys thrive on. If only middle school boys have the ears to hear it. ...more
Daniel Alfond
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
J.C. Ryle is so clear and straight forward in the way that he writes. A young Christian man can often be uncertain in his ways and can second-guess himself because of how different the Christian life is to the ways of the world. Ryle's instruction gives clarity and straight-forward direction. Reading this book will leave you decisive in your walk the Lord and encouraged to be as intense as possible about serving Christ without questioning whether you're being "too serious about spiritual things" ...more
Gordon Alley
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book for not just young men but also for all men from all walks of life and all ages of life. J.C. Ryle was a preacher and writer with great depths and Scripture-packed writings. This is a short read but every reader may suffer distractions as the Truths contained will be hindered with a Spiritual battle from the enemy. I heartily recommend this read.
Mark Donald
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend this book.

Insightful, clear, helpful, and challenging. Not only for young men but everyone could benefit from Ryle's warnings and exhortations.
John Caulfield
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book served as a helpful warning to those who would wish to put their repentance off until later in life, as if you could plan such a thing. He adds to these warnings several practical exhortations that young men, or women for that matter, can employ in ridding themselves of a lackadaisical approach to Christianity.

Ryle says: “habits are like stones rolling down hill - the further they roll, the faster and more unmanageable their course.”

I appreciated his willingness to imply that sexual si
Brandon Still
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoughts for Young Men by J.C. Ryle was an overlook of what young men can expect in their walks as believers. J.C. Ryle mixed what he has learned throughout life and ministry, and backed it with scriptural evidence to complete a great resource for young men and their walk. Ryle lays out encouragement, specific dangers than young men will face, general counsels they should be aware of, and special rules that if followed, can have a profound and life-giving impact on their pursuit of the Lord. Ryl ...more
Cade Patterson
Young men have incredible potential - but they have always been in great danger. In Ryle’s time and today, we are prone to pride, addiction, idleness, and cynicism toward the Gospel and the means of grace. This short book is a timeless and relentlessly pointed encouragement for young men to strive for the things that truly matter - a life devoted to God in every aspect. Ryle says the good, hard things every man so desperately needs to hear and treasure. I will pin up the outline of this book on ...more
Mitchell Dixon
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A convicting book that gives hope to young men.

I think this book is going to be incredibly helpful for young men. It is going to be convicting, which is exactly why it will be helpful. It gives practical and useful instruction on the Christian life and how to turn from sin to God. J.C. Ryle sakes of young men not to wait for later in life to follow God, but to begin the habits now and let them build like a house, brick by brick, over a lifetime.
Curtis
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally got around to reading this and really enjoyed it. It essentially serves as a stern talking to from Ryle to anyone younger than him. It’s a good talking to, I’d argue an often necessary one, but his direct, sometimes gruff, no nonsense tone can be a bit overbearing and I’m concerned that an overemphasis of this “be killing sin or sin will be killing you” rhetoric (though true in essence) lacks a deeper nuance and is the reason the reformed camp has so often gained a reputation for harshne ...more
Abby Hogan
Jun 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book was good. I’ve wanted to read it for years, and I’m glad I finally did. The book’s brevity (less than 100 pages) made it forceful and easy to read. I think Ryle balanced his exhortations well, displaying both urgency and gentleness. Reading it, I felt convicted but not paralyzed by discouragement at my shortcomings. Instead, I felt moved and inspired to become one of the young people Ryle praises—who have consecrated the “springtime of their lives to God.”
Mahlangu
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: growing-up
In this book lies treasures that every young man must cherish in his heart and principals by which he must live. While many books on advice come from personal experiences of the author, J.C. Ryle calls on divine wisdom to share with us, young men, how we can make the most of our lives. What an amazing book for everyone, especially young men.
Aaron Ventura
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is short enough to be read in an hour but is worth pondering for much longer. Ryle talks like a 19th century Mark Driscoll in his prime: straight talk, no chaser, direct and confrontational, which is what young men often need. Highly recommend for young men of all ages.
Scott Tubman
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
What a great book. Short, insightful,powerful yet carefully nuanced. Ryle makes points with a punch yet you also see the pastors heart. Althought its context was 120 years ago, its so contemporary. I want every 18-25yr old guy I know to read this.
Jon Jester
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must read for guys. Ryle points us to the hope in Christ and reminds us of the folly in waiting to follow God and the dangers of sin.
Jared Mcnabb
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great practical exhortation and encouragement for men of all ages. Ryle’s earnestness bleeds through the pages.
David Haines
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great godly encouragement for young men. This should be read by all young men before they become a "teenager", and again before they head off to college or university. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Bruised Reed
  • Evangelism & the Sovereignty of God
  • The Holiness of God
  • Church Membership: How the World Knows Who Represents Jesus
  • The Whole Christ: Legalism, Antinomianism, and Gospel Assurance—Why the Marrow Controversy Still Matters
  • Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners
  • Future Men: Raising Boys to Fight Giants
  • The Masculine Mandate: God's Calling to Men
  • The Rise and Triumph of the Modern Self: Cultural Amnesia, Expressive Individualism, and the Road to Sexual Revolution
  • Disciplines of a Godly Man
  • The Religious Affections
  • The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment
John Charles Ryle was a prominent writer, preacher, and Anglican clergyman in nineteenth-century Britain. He is the author of the classic Expository Thoughts on the Gospels and retired as the bishop of Liverpool.

News & Interviews

“Young men, I beseech you earnestly, beware of pride. Two things are said to be very rare sights in the world— one is a young man that is humble, and the other is an old man that is content. I fear that this is only too true.” 13 likes
“Young man, be of good courage. Care not for what the world says or thinks: you will not be with the world always. Can man save your soul? No. Will man be your judge in the great and dreadful day of account? No. Can man give you a good conscience in life, a good hope in death, a good answer in the morning of resurrection? No! no! no! Man can do nothing of the sort. Then "fear not the reproach of men, neither be afraid of their revilings: for the moth shall eat them up like a garment, and the worm shall eat them like wool" (Isa. 51:7,8). Call to your mind the saying of good Colonel Gardiner: "I fear God, and therefore I have none else to fear." Go and be like him.” 11 likes