Start by marking “Plutona” as Want to Read:
Plutona

Plutona

(Plutona #1-5)

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  2,038 Ratings  ·  366 Reviews
Five suburban kids make a shocking discovery while exploring the woods one day after school... the body of the world's greatest superhero, Plutona, laying dead among the mud and grass. This discovery sends them on a journey that will threaten to tear apart their friendship and their lives.

A dark and heartbreaking coming-of-age tale exploring friendship and loss from master
Published July 26th 2016 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Plutona, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plutona

Sam Quixote
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it
With Plutona, Jeff Lemire and Emi Lenox basically took Stephen King’s The Body and tweaked it slightly to make the dead body a superhero - and that’s it really! That said, while unoriginal, it’s not a terrible read.

Plutona’s not a plot-driven book but rather a character piece. The focus is on the small group of kids and their relationships with one another: Mie and her little brother Mike; Diane, Mie’s friend; Ray, the rebel kid whose alcoholic dad smacks him around; and Teddy, the quiet loner
Jan Philipzig
Like Kurt Busiek’s Astro City, Jeff Lemire’s Plutona looks at superheroes through the eyes of regular folks, people like you and me. In the case of Plutona, those regular folks are teenagers and children. The story as a whole appears to be targeted at a young adult audience, slightly younger than that of the similarly-themed 2012 movie Chronicle.

As you would expect from a Lemire title, the characters feel real and complex, and the story generally avoids cheap young-adult formulas and cheesy mora
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First read of Spookathon was a huge success! I loved this!
Paz R.M.
Oh Plutona... where do I begin?
I've been ignoring writing this review for more than a week now. I just had huge expectations for this graphic novel and it was so damn disappointing.
Now, this isn't a bad story. In this classic coming of age tale there is originality, it is quite dark and a bit heartbreaking. The best part of this book is the last issue, but it ends abruptly leaving you underwhelmed and a bit confused.

What's Plutona about? One day after school, five kids find a body in
David Schaafsma
Plutona is a superhero, and a mom. She is discovered either dead or unconscious (though the series IS called Plutona, folks) in the woods by some kids who are all different and not usually nice to each other and still somehow friends. The kids include Mie, who's Asian and little punk; Ray, the mean kid whose dad beats him up; Diane, Mie’s quiet insecure friend, Ray called her "Chubs"; and Teddy, a kid very into superheroes. Character is the name of the game in this series, which is what drives m ...more
First Second Books
Possibly all shirts should have pears on them!

And also: don't be mean to your friends.

Most important: don't leave maybe-dead people alone in the woods, this is not a good plan.

With these pieces of advice (and lovely art and color from Emi Lenox and Jordie Bellaire), you will defeat all the problems in this book!
James DeSantis
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I was really digging this till the end.

So this is about a bunch of kids finding a dead body. To be more specific it's a superhero's body. They begin to figure out what to do. Go to cops? Cover it up? Get rid of the body? When everything starts to unravel and these kids begin to change and panic, everything falls apart.

Good: I really enjoyed the style of art. Cartoony and over the top but it works for a lot of the scenes. I enjoyed the dialog, kids talked like kids, and that means everyone hates
Kaitlin
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I actually read this without knowing it was just a mini-series of five issues and so when I reached the end I immediately thought there would be a volume #2 coming. When I checked online it turns out there is not a volume #2 coming and actually it is just a super abrupt and shocking ending.

This story follows five "friends" (I say that in quotation marks because actually they bully one another and seem like they aren't true friends at many points of the volume) who accidentally stumble across the
Roxanne
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's like a mash up of stand by me throw in a bit of breakfast club plus a dead superhero in the woods, shake that all up and you get this. It's a fairly interesting read, i do agree with many other reviews that there is not a lot of character depth going on, you really don't find out that much from the characters. As it's only five issues it doesn't leave room to get to know these characters, or for the mystery to sustain any suspense, it's all wrapped up pretty quickly. I'm pretty sure that en ...more
Kate (GirlReading)
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I loved the art style in Plutona, the characters were all so interesting to look at and the colours were gorgeous and always fitted the feel of the scene perfectly.

I thought it was really interesting seeing each of the characters, who came from totally different backgrounds and lives, coming together! I also liked that it's split into two parts, the kids story and Plutona's story and origin. I loved the insight, however small, into the life of a superhero.

The main aspect that I really didn't l
Michelle Morrell
A group of kids find a body in the woods. But not just anyone, it's Plutona, resident superhero.

What follows is a microcosm of life, how secrets and lust for power can tear us apart, and just how far you will go for a friend.

I enjoyed it while I was reading it, even when it hurt. However, in retrospect it was pretty depressing and bleak. A fit ending for 2016?
Artemy
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: image-comics, comics
Jeff Lemire's Plutona is a weird book, and by the end of it, feels kinda pointless. Still, I enjoyed the story enough for what it is, which is essentially a Stephen King rip-off with superheroes, for no apparent reason. Nice artwork by Emi Lenox and Lemire himself, though.
Liz Janet
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
What do you do when the great superhero that protects your city is found by you and your group of “acquaintances” in a forest after a fatal battle? You hide the body of course! And take the blood of said superhero, just in case you can transfer her superpowers to yourself, also you don’t tell anyone so that the villains don’t realize the great hero is gone. These kids sure are smart!

Jeff Lemire is one of my favourite writers and artists. I've found the previous works of his I've read, well writt
Stewart Tame
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Plutona is one of the most powerful superheroes in the world. Or was, as, one day, after school, Teddy, Diane, Mie, Mike, and Ray come across her body in the woods ...

This is a decent one volume story. Comparisons to Stephen King's, "The Body"--the story on which the movie, Stand By Me, was based--are probably inescapable. In both cases, we have a group of kids discovering a corpse. Also, in both cases, the story is really more about the relationships between the protagonists than the discovery
Shadowdenizen
Jul 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-other
Seems like I've been saying this a lot lately, but...
I liked (but didn't love) this book, A decent (but uninspiring) 3 stars from me.

I expect more from Jeff Lemire, one of the more prolific (and well-liked) authors in the comics scene today.

This wasn't bad by any stretch... But it just felt ..off.. to me, a sort of "Weaker Effort", especially when compared to some of Lemires other works like Trillium orSweet Tooth, Vol. 1: Out of the Deep Woods.
rose
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stand by Me enthusiasts
Shelves: comics-and-kin
Superhero as vacuum. She's negative space.
OV
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
É Jeff Lemire. Ponto. Isto não chega para vos convencer a ler? Ok...então vou tentar dizer mais qualquer coisa: história saída da cabeça do Jeff Lemire e ilustrada pela Emi Lenox e que tem como pano de fundo um mundo no qual os super-heróis trabalham em escritórios durante o dia e à noite defendem as cidades dos bandidos, uma espécie de Clark Kents noctívagos, portanto. A Plutona é um desses super-heróis.

Mas, neste livro, os verdadeiros heróis e protagonistas não são os que vestem capas para com
Wing Kee
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Fairly good episode of the Twilight Zone.

World: The art is fantastic, it's very grounded making this story unassuming and also subverting reader expectations. The tone of the story is really informed by the art. The world building here is basic but it's only there to serve the story.

Story: Very well paced and unsettling. This is a good episode of Twilight Zone, it's creepy, it's kinda weird and just sad. The main drive of the story is done well and the dialog really allowed for this
Roy
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
A group of kids find a body in the woods. The body is Plutona, a superhero. This sets of a small chain of events surrounding this issue. The story really isnt much about the body at all, more so about the kids interactions/relationships, as well as Plutonas relationship with her kid, shown with some flashbacks. Lemire is a great writer, and it shows here, just not enough substance to amaze though.
তানজীম Rahman)
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really good, and a great example of how versatile the Superhero genre can be. This basically reads like a Stephen King horror story set in a superhero universe.
Crystal Starr Light
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bullet Review:

That was entertaining! I had never heard of the movie "Stand by Me" (which drew disapproving looks from the coworker who lent this to me) nor of the Stephen King work "The Body", so I had no background to this whatsoever. But damned if I didn't enjoy the hell out of this; I breezed through this in approximately an hour.
Anthony
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: image
Started off really promising but then was pretty average by the end.
Mel Barnes
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have been on the edge of my seat as I was to find out what will be revealed about the characters in every additional issue that is published.
Zedsdead
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Lemire is always at his best focusing on characters rather than story, and I think this is one of his better efforts (though it doesn't come close to the magic of Essex County).

Teenagers are usually my kryptonite (geroff my lawn!) but the gang in Plutona didn't quite piss me off. These are some well-drawn kids. The bully is GOOOOD at being a bully and I wanted to never stop smacking him. There's a chunky girl who's a bit needy, her shitty best friend who takes her for granted, and a serious smar
Bookishrealm
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the weirdest comic I've read in a while, but in a good way. It's amazing what fear and panic will drive a person to do. I'm curious to see if there will be anymore issues in this series. I really need to know what happened after that ending. I need some time to sit and think about this one. It was really that crazy to me. If you haven't picked it up, I would recommend giving it a try.
Elizabeth A
Dec 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphix, 2016
2.5 rounded up.

This volume collects all five of the issues in this completed graphic novel series.

The story revolves around a fallen superhero (of the title), and the kids who discover her body and what happens next. It had Stand By Me tones, without being as good. I liked how the story shows the very different life circumstances of these kids, and the meanness and bulling that many kids experience was well captured. However, the story plot itself was not compelling, and there wasn't really any
Skye Kilaen
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Five middle-school age (?) kids in the suburbs discover the body of a beloved missing superhero. My exact quote when I finished this: "That is some f---ed up sh-t." And I meant that in a good way. The kids make the simultaneously kid-logical but terrible decision not to tell anyone outside the group about their find, but somebody in the group has an ulterior motive. Bleak and depressing, but totally gripping.
Araceli.libros
3.5*

¿Cómo que no hay continuación? ¿Esto es todo? :(

Me gustó, pero el final es muy abrupto y sin mucho sentido... Si fuera el primer volumen de una serie sería genial y estaría emocionada por leer el siguiente, pero como stand-alone, deja mucho que desear.
Relstuart
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: image-comics
Story centers around a group of five kids that find the body of a super-heroine in the woods. Kids are terrible to each throughout the story and the ending is disturbing.
Kristin El
Jun 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, reread
Not a lot of story but interesting enough to keep me reading to the end even if the whole time I was wishing I was reading Paper Girls instead.
  • Ringside, Vol. 1: Kayfabe
  • The Sheriff of Babylon, Volume 1: Bang. Bang. Bang.
  • Red Thorn, Volume 1: Glasgow Kiss
  • Tokyo Ghost, Vol. 1: Atomic Garden
  • Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Four, Vol. 2
  • ODY-C, Vol. 2: Sons of the Wolf
  • Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening (Monstress, #1)
  • Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Vol. 1
  • New Suicide Squad, Volume 3: Freedom
  • Star Wars: Darth Vader, Vol. 3: The Shu-Torun War (Star Wars: Darth Vader #3)
  • Our Lady of Birth Control: A Cartoonist's Encounter with Margaret Sanger
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 1: BFF
  • Black Canary, Volume 1: Kicking and Screaming
  • Lantern City Vol. 1
  • Bitch Planet, Vol. 2: President Bitch
  • Giant-Size Little Marvel: AvX
  • Morning Glories, Vol. 9: Assembly
  • Planet Hulk: Warzones!
Jeff Lemire is an award-winning Canadian cartoonist, and the author of the Essex County Trilogy, Sweet Tooth and The Nobody. Lemire is known for a his moody, humanistic stories and sketchy, cinematic, black-and-white art.

Plutona (5 books)