Start by marking “Star Trek/Green Lantern: The Spectrum War” as Want to Read:
Star Trek/Green Lantern: The Spectrum War

Star Trek/Green Lantern: The Spectrum War

(Star Trek/Green Lantern: The Spectrum War #1-6)

Two iconic franchises collide for this blockbuster crossover event! The crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise meets the Green Lantern Corps for the first time in an all-new adventure that spans the cosmos! Kirk and Spock make a most unusual discovery on a lost world... igniting events that will change the fate of empires!
Published April 12th 2016 by IDW Publishing (first published April 12th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek/Green Lantern, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek/Green Lantern

Start your review of Star Trek/Green Lantern: The Spectrum War
Calista
I remember hearing that Marvel and DC once did a cross over event. This is a crossover event of Star Trek and Green Lantern. It's interesting as they both have elements in common. They are both set primarily in space and they both have very weird looking space aliens with them. They also both use a team so it works well together.

It's a silly story really, but it is interesting to think what the 2 worlds would be like when they collide. We get almost zero character development in this volume so
Chad
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it
This book didn't quite work for me. Pretty much every Lantern of each color appears in this book. There has to be at least 20 characters in the book that have to share page time. It's way too many characters for any real plot development.

The Enterprise finds a ring of each color, they get shared out to Star Trek characters. Original ringslingers pop up and show how to really use the rings. Stop the big bad. Story over.

Received an advance copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Nicolo
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comixology
This was a crossover this reader did not see coming but upon reading it, what some people would think as glorified fanfic actually works pretty well. Everybody knows that peanut butter and chocolate go well together, but this was so unexpected by surprisingly delicious like a dash of Worcestershire in your scrambled eggs.

One reason it worked so well was probably because of the story planning involved. This Star Trek crew and likenesses are from the Kelvin timeline of J. J. Abrams' 2009 movie and
Scott
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I first learned of The Spectrum War after reading (and not enjoying) the Batman / Shadow team-up called The Murder Geniuses last month. This ST / GL attempt fared a little better, combining the Silver Age's Hal Jordan with the silver-screen's rebooted U.S.S. Enterprise crew.

So the artwork was colorful (plus the illustrated 'Trekkers' often resembled their film actors) and the dialogue, at least early on, humorously made references to familiar things in the original '66-'69 series. However, the s
Paul Decker
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
*I received this book as an eARC from Diamond Book Distributors and IDW Publishing in exchange for an honest review*

I am a big fan of Star Trek. I grew up watching Voyager and I am very familiar with all things Trek. I've read some of the reboot film comics, but I haven't kept up with them. Green Lantern on the other hand, I know very little about. I've seen the film. I know some of the history of the Corp, but I am definitely just a casual consumer when it comes to Green Lantern.

In this graph
Cathy
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Trekkies and Green Lantern fans
Star Trek meets The Green Lantern? That is just too wacky not to read it. The Star Trek reboot crew finds some rings, activates them and everything goes Kaboom. Lots of fighting amd action.

Fun, fun, fun. I only know that fairly bad Green Lantern movie with Ryan Reynolds, so I don't really know much about that whole Lantern thing. It's a bit silly, but ok. Ring bearers defined by emotional states, good and bad guys without variations and no grey areas, all pretty predictable. Uhura gets the girly
Jerry
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Star Trek and Green Lantern may sound like an odd mix...but, it works very well!
Jim
This was really pretty cool. I thought it was a good mix of the universes. The rings, the crew of Enterprise, the Lanterns. It was put together well.

And the (self-contained) story was engrossing. I thought it interesting that they used the current movie crew as the basis for the look of the Enterprise crew. I guess it makes sense, but I wasn't expecting it. I guess this would sort of be an Elseworlds story - or at maybe a possible future, like The Dark Knight Returns.

Worth reading - especially
Tom Brennan
Being a fan of Star Trek and Green Lantern, I had to check this out. Great fun seeing characters from the two franchises interact - Hal Jordan, Captain Kirk, Atrocitus, Mr. Spock, Kilowog - you get the idea. The method used to get the Lanterns into the Star Trek universe stuck me as pretty plausible, as did the final resolution. In between though there's a lot of great banter between the characters, exciting all out action scenes, as well as fantastic, colorful art. If the series continues I'd s ...more
Kai Charles(Fiction State Of Mind)
This was a fun crossover that worked better then I thought it would. Set in the continuity of the current Star Trek universe, this story involves the crew of the Enterprise find a deceased alien and a set of rings. Once the crew activates them, the rings choose various members of the crew. The rings also draw Hal Jordan and other surviving lanterns show up to deal with the new owners of the red orange and yellow rings. Lots of humor and action.
Liezl Ruiz
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love it. I definitely love it, especially the bantering at the end. And not just between Spock and Captain Kirk, with Bones as well, and the crew. Everything about them is just wacky.

I love how we get two worlds (shall we say Universes?) combine in one graphic novel. That's the world of DC Comics and IDW Publishing. The crossover might sound impossible, but trust me when I say that this novel has made it more than possible. In light of the this week's headline of the newly confirmed existence
Reanne
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
(I received a free e-arc of this from the publisher through NetGalley. Review crossposted from my book review blog.)

This is a graphic novel (i.e. a really long comic book), and it is very cool. As soon as I finished the NetGalley e-copy, I went on Amazon and preordered the paperback.

I’m not very familiar with Green Lantern. I saw the movie, I’ve seen some fanart online, and I saw one fanart breakdown of the various Green Lanterns once. I don’t think I’ve ever read a Green Lantern comic. Fortunat
Michael
When the best thing you can say about a comic book cross-over event is -- well, at least the art was nice, you know something isn't quite working. Or maybe that this particular cross-over event isn't your cup of tea.

Collecting the six-issue run of Star Trek/Green Lantern: The Spectrum War, this limited run series is not two great tastes that taste great together. In one reality, the Green Lantern corp has just been wiped out by some evil force. Rings of various colors hop over to the JJ Trek ver
Wayne McCoy
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
In comics, the world of crossovers can be a mixed bag, but I'm happy to report that 'Star Trek/Green Lantern: The Spectrum War' was a pretty decent story by Mike Johnson with art by Angel Hernandez.

When events in the Green Lantern version of Earth spill over into the Star Trek universe, things take a crazy course. An abandoned asteroid is found with a dead body by a Star Trek away team. In front of the body are some colorful rings. The crew takes the body and the rings back to the Enterprise. Wh
Christopher
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Star Trek/Green Lantern: The Spectrum War is a great roller-coaster ride from start to finish! :D The story is a complete mash-up with characters meeting that you would never have dreamed of! :D Kirk and Hal Jordan's interaction are brilliant with both clearly used to being in charge and having to O' so politely step around each other! :D Spock's interactions with Carol Ferris and Uhura's reactions will have you in stitches and this is one example of the fun inside! :D

The whole book rocks along
Quentin Wallace
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was pretty impressed with this crossover. With all of the recent Star Trek crossovers, really.

This crossover featured the "new" Star Trek crew (Kirk was drawn as Pine, Spock as Quinto, etc.) and I really prefer the original crew, but that's not a huge deal. The story and art were very good. Things are set in an alternate universe where Nekron has destroyed "our" universe, and then the remaining lanterns, including the bad guys, end up in the Star Trek Universe. Unfortunately, so does Nekron.

St
Nicolas
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
That was probably the best crossover I've ever read. I'm giving it a generous 5 stars because I think it completely succeeded at its goals. The characters blended well and they managed to make two very different worlds gel. There is room for a sequel and I sure hope they make it.

I talk a little about this crossover in a Green Lantern themed episode of the All the Books Show: https://soundcloud.com/allthebooks/of...

For Star Trek talk, tune in here for our discussion on some favorite Trek books an
M. R. R. Shelswell
There is something about crossovers that tickles me pink (for a lack of better turn of phrase). Ever since my mom and dad introduced me to the Star Trek reboot movie in 2013 (shortly before its sequel, Into Darkness, came out in theaters), I've been an avid fan - despite the fact that this version of Kirk sleeps with a different girl whenever he has a chance to have shore leave. Which I can. Not. Stand.

Anyway, I waited patiently for the day where they would collect and bind all six issues of thi
Stanley
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This trade really outperformed my expectations and was an incredibly fun read.

Let me start by saying that I'm a novice to both worlds, Green Lantern and Star Trek. So, the characters here are fairly to me and therefore I came in mostly baggage free.

Starting off where it did with Ganthet fleeing from an unseen foe and doing some sort of dimension jump was a jarring way to start off, not knowing the world. However, it didn't take long for things to pick up and really kick off.

The rings are taken a
Ruby Jo
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
*Disclaimer: I received an e-galley of this book from Netgalley and Diamond Book Distributors in exchange for an honest review.

When I was growing up I was a huge Star Trek fan. So it's no wonder that when I saw this book on Netgalley I just HAD to read it. Also, I like when two apparently different fictional worlds have a crossover, because it's a great opportunity to introduce people to new characters and get them interested enough to find out more about them.

The first thing I noticed was that,
Dann
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
By Green Lantern’s light, Star Trek/Green Lantern: The Spectrum War truly goes where none have gone before. When the Lantern Corps are on the verge of annihilation by Nekron, a Guardian activates the Last Light, transporting every lantern that’s left to a new dimension where they run into Captain Kirk and the crew of the USS Enterprise. However, the introduction of rings soon brings the universe to the brink of war as the Klingons, Romulans, and Goran each get a ring and align with Sinestro, Atr ...more
Christine
Disclaimer: ARC via Netgalley.

I have never been a reader of Green Lantern, so in fairness, I cannot comment on the accuracy of Green Lateran and the Lantern Corps.

The idea behind the series is obvious – Green Lantern meets Star Trek (the new movie version). Without giving away too many spoilers, some rings are found by an away team, some new bearers of the rings occur, and there is kick assery.

It’s pretty entertaining and funny at the same time. The ones that the rings chose are interesting a
Rose
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not sure why my Mike Johnson "Trek" comic rereads keep resulting in me upping my ratings, but there we are. This was a *lot* of fun the second go round: lots of action, some good character beats, great moments of quiet humor -- and, I was surprised to rediscover in my reread, some real emotional beats with (view spoiler). "It's personal," as Kirk notes; that always make for an epic good adventure for me.

And, as a bonus: some great
Matt
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Collects Star Trek/Green Lantern issues #1-6

The idea of this crossover is really fun, but the execution was a little lacking. A deeper knowledge of the greater Green Lantern mythology would have made this a better experience for me, but I am yet to read Geoff Johns' historic run on that title. In many ways, this was a "Star Trek" story that featured appearances by "Green Lantern" characters.

Like I mentioned above, I haven't read Johns' "Blackest Night" story, and I think that would have been es
Tom Malinowski
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great mashup of two universes that I admire...Star Trek and DC universe involving the Green Lanterns. Takes place during Blackest Night where some of the Lanterns are shunted into a parallel universe of Star Trek, the new one with Chris Pine. Not only Lanterns from various colors, but rings too. The rings find new hosts in Kang (from Star Trek 6!), Uhura, Checkov, Bones, and more. Battles, seeing Jordan interact with Kirk is priceless.
Patrick
When I first heard about this crossover I thought it was an odd pairing, honestly. But This had some cool moments, and was kind of like some Fan-Fiction in a way, not in a bad really. Seeing members of the Enterprise get lantern rings was a cool moment.
I suggest this to a fan of Green lantern or Star Trek.

I received an advanced copy of this from NetGalley.com and the publisher
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, between this and the Legion of Super-Heroes crossover, I almost believe that Star Trek belongs with DC Comics. Here the two worlds meld almost seamlessly and the outcome is far from anything I would have expected.
I usually avoid the old cliche, but I mean it when I say that I couldn't put it down.
A.L.
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was great! It's summer-movie-blockbuster fun. It's not brilliant. It's totally fan candy. But I really enjoyed it. The plot was a little weak, and the too-quick solution to the key problem was, well, too quick. But it was just a lot of fun to read. Recommended as an escapist adventure. ...more
Iris Nevers
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. It was captivating and made me love the Green Lantern mythos just a little bit more.
Luke
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Originally posted at http://wp.me/p4Wvzn-1hl

Two Nerds Talking received an Advanced Review Copy of this comic in exchange for a fair and honest review. But we don't do them any other way.

They say you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but I'll admit it was the cover and the title that drew me to read this book. I'm a HUGE Green Lantern fanboy, so much so that I own a 1:1 Replica of a Green Lantern Power Battery...and as for Star Trek... Well, lets just say I also own a Starfleet uniform.

Yeah. I
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Star Trek: The Next Generation - Hive (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Star Trek: Waypoint
  • Star Trek: Mission's End
  • Star Trek/Planet of the Apes: The Primate Directive
  • Star Trek / Legion of Super-Heroes
  • Enemy Unseen
  • Mirror Images
  • Green Lantern, Volume 10: Brightest Day
  • The Flash, Vol. 1: Move Forward
  • Star Trek: Harlan Ellison's The City on the Edge of Forever: The Original Teleplay
  • Countdown to Darkness
  • Star Trek: New Visions
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Gorn Crisis
  • Who Killed Captain Kirk? (Star Trek Classics #5)
  • War of the Green Lanterns
  • Burden Of Knowledge
  • Absolute Carnage
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation: Ghosts
Mike Johnson is a comic book writer.

An almost lifelong Trekkie, he has scripted more Star Trek comic books than anyone else to date.

Star Trek/Green Lantern: The Spectrum War (7 books)
  • Star Trek/Green Lantern #1