Start by marking “Trading Places: Becoming My Mother's Mother: A Daughter's Memoir” as Want to Read:
Trading Places: Becoming My Mother's Mother: A Daughter's Memoir

Trading Places: Becoming My Mother's Mother: A Daughter's Memoir

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  94 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Caring for an elderly parent can be extremely challenging. The role reversal involved is emotionally and intellectually demanding, and many caregivers find themselves unprepared to undertake such a difficult task.

In Trading Places: Becoming My Mother’s Mother, author Sandra Bullock Smith shares her personal experiences spending ten years caring for her ailing mother.

This
Published November 3rd 2015

To ask other readers questions about Trading Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trading Places

Ann Campanella
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
When I started reading Trading Places: Becoming My Mother's Mother, I expected to feel the familiar weight of grief that I carried when I cared for my mother who had Alzheimer's for 14 years. But Sandra Bullock Smith's book was instead uplifting. In each chapter, Sandra reveals a part of her childhood, and she shares how her mother's words are now coming out of her mouth. As Sandra was losing her mother to her disease, she also embraces the loving and special woman who raised a large family. Thi ...more
Terri Calvert
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow

There is so much love in this book. Life is a blessing, love is a gift. Wisdom to be a wonderful caregiver is definitely here.
If you have a loved one hospitalized or in a care facility, be involved. I can tell you that we never had the staff to give the care I wanted to give, family involvement meant so much to us and our patients.
This book is priceless.
julie morse
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was heart-warming

When a parent becomes a responsibility of others it's not only time -consuming but heart-wrestling. I can relate to what she went through and although itself hard the rewards are boundless. A lot of good can come from reading this book
Tammy Downing
I received this book for free from Goodreads Giveaways. I wish I would have had this book when I was taking care of my mother. It is a wonderful guide for caregivers.
Cynthia Jones
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Partially caregiver information and lots of personal family biography

Having spent 5 years singlehandedly caring for my aging (and now deceased) Mother, I was looking forward to some shared experiences with the author. However, much of the book contains stories about her family and growing up with her Mother - not much information to help current or future caregivers.

This family was blessed to have multiple caregivers to share duties. They also apparently had access to finances enabling them to
Debbie
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Touching

I was concerned that reading this would make me sad, as I lost my folks in 2008 within 5 months of each other. It helped as opposed to sadness. It made me appreciate what my sister did for them the last year of their life (she lived in San Antonio where they lived; I live in New Orleans). I'll always be grateful to their 3 caretakers, making it easier to keep them both at home. Dad said his only job was to take care of mom. She passed in June of 2008, and then I guess his body decided h
Valerie
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was provided to me by the author. That said, it is did not influence my review of it. I enjoyed this book a lot. This book highlighted and recapped the authors experience she had becoming a caregiver for her mother. In the book she talks about how her mother used to say/do certain things for her and now it was as if the tables were turned. I appreciated the vulnerability and honesty in her writing. I have not experienced this myself, but I think it would be a good read for anyone who i ...more
Gina Smith
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A sensitive look at what it is like to become a parent's caretaker. The book is written in a way that shows how hard it can be at times but told with a sense of humor. I enjoyed reading about the bond between mother and daughter, and the way the author found herself telling her mother the same things her mother said years before. I also enjoyed looking at the family pictures that were included in the book.
* I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Jackie Rogers
Mar 25, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a memoir of a daughter caring for her aging mom. Am in same position in life so found encouragement in this book. Is difficult being a parent to a parent but falls to someone in later years. Am doing so with my mom in assisted living but still many things to tend to. Am grateful to have my mom for so many years. She will turn 93 on Easter Sunday. Thanks Ms. Smith for this helpful book.
Jeanine Cooper
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Emotionally honest memoir

Elder care is not a new phenomenon but it is rare to have the details spelled out in such a refreshing, but insightful way. A must read for anyone dealing with grief and loss, especially for those who provided care. One lesson that resonates: 'guilt is okay'. We're only human and imperfect; just do the very best you can while you can.
Sarah Jones
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I so appreciate the candor, humor, and transparency of the author in sharing her story. I am living this life right now and can identify on so many levels. I am thankful for the privilege of caring for my mother and so thankful for my sister who is the primary caregiver. I read this book and ordered a copy for my sister.
Glenda
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Trading Places is an insightful read

Not all caregiver experiences are the same but there are always common threads. This book is an insightful reminder that you are not alone. Shared knowledge enables coping strategies. Well written memoir.
Susan Csoke
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sandra shares with us her experiences of caring for an elderly parent. As she was her mothers care giver for ten years. Through the hardships, the struggles, and many challenges, emotional and physical. Caregiving is a labor of love.
Caitlyn Hunt
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found it very interesting and reminded me a lot of my own grandmother who went through similar struggles.
Rachella Baker
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was very enjoyable book.it gives you something to think about.I have passed this book on to a friend to read.l know she will enjoy it also
Jackie Rogers
Have already reviewed this book
Pam Warner
Nov 12, 2016
MJ
Oct 05, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sandra Bullock Smith is a retired human resources executive, world traveler, angler, adventure junkie and storyteller. She grew up in northwest Florida and spent 20+ years in the colorful gumbo of south Louisiana. Her current home base is Santa Fe, New Mexico, where she lives with her husband, Mike and their mongrel pups. Mike is an endurance runner so you can often find her supporting ultra runne ...more
More about Sandra Bullock Smith

• The Taste of Air
    $9.99 $3.49
  • The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Lord God Made Them All (All Creatures Great and Small, #4)
    $17.99 $1.99