Start by marking “Calling the Dead” as Want to Read:
Calling the Dead

Calling the Dead

(Sept Savoie & Keegan Blanchard #1)

Six months after Hurricane Katrina has devastated New Orleans, Detective Sept Savoie is battling the nightmare of everything the storm has taken from her when a brutalised body turns up behind one of the restaurants, run by Keegan Blanchard. Soon the clues are pointing to Keegan, making the relationship growing between them very awkward.
Published November 3rd 2008 by Bold Strokes Books (first published November 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Calling the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calling the Dead

Start your review of Calling the Dead
Farah
Ms.Vali created an intriguing story by skilfully interweaving the thriller and romance plot.

Sept and Keegan's courtship progressed rather quickly but other than that, the hate turned yummylicious pairing was written beautifully. They had loads of page time filled with great old conversations, flirtings, banters, trust and faith in beginning / developing a relationship. I bookmarked almost every page and highlighted some of the hotter than jalapeno steamy acts for future reference.. ehem, ehem.

T
Agirlcandream
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*Trigger Warning* Graphic violence portrayed

What an excellent read. The only Ali Vali I have read before this book was an unmemorable romance novel. Now I see why everyone loves her Cain Casey series if it is done as well as this crime thriller/police procedural.
I loved everything about this book. The two mains, Sept Savoie (seventh child in a French family) and Keegan Blanchard are women you want to meet and women you don't want to cross. The cop and the cook go from enemies (suspect) to lover
Kexx
A book that grabs you on two levels - the romance that I loved and the "thriller / detective story" that had me hiding behind the sofa. Loved the "family" both MCs surrounded themselves with - highly recommended but I'll need some space before I start on book 2. ...more
Lexxi Kitty
This is the first in a, so far, two book series starring a character readers of Ali Vali might have spotted in other books. Referring, of course, to Sept Savoie. Who happens to be one of the few people on the legal side of things who is not shown to be a complete moron - in Vali's Cain Casey series.

I'm trying to figure out who to word this . . . hmms. While there is mystery elements in the Casey series, the series is more about watching Cain Casey operate her criminal enterprise (and, when myst
Lex Kent
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-f-crime
Another enjoyable Ali Vali book. I love her Devil series and it was nice to see Sept, a secondary character, get her own book. While this is a crime book, it had a romance throughout that went at a nice pace. And the mystery of the book had some twists which made it a great crime thriller also. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys books of those categories.
Ali Vali really is a great author. When you read her books you know shes the author, even if she used a pen name. Just like someone who
Soulsearching
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.
A great book and an enjoyable read. Thank you Ali Vali.
Betty
If you are looking for an absolutely compelling and engrossing murder mystery/romance, you don’t have to look any further than Calling the Dead by Ali Vali. I was in awe at how skillfully Ms. Vali wove such an intricate and complex story together with the perfect setting for the story (early post Katrina in New Orleans) and characters that were so well-drawn that you could swear they were real people.
It has been a while since I have read a mystery where I couldn’t figure out ‘who done it’ by at
Tony Hisgett
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, lgbt, review, thriller
This was a decent thriller/romance, which I enjoyed reading. I really liked the developing relationship between Sept and Keegan, but although the investigation into the ritual murders started well, it seemed to drag towards the end. In fact the investigation didn’t really get anywhere and the case was finally solved more by ‘luck than good judgement’.
I also thought there were too many sessions with ‘Novice’ and the ‘Teacher’ and although I understand they do give an impression of Novice’s mental
Karin A
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great read! Love all of Vali’s books. This one was very exiting again. And off course I had my focus on the wrong man, she had me there. The setting after hurricane Katrina is very realistic, I’m not an American and have never had to encounter such violence of nature and its aftermath. But reading this book gave me a good insight. Well done.
Loved the way the love developed between Sept and Keegan. They really connected great together and the book made me feel excited and also swooning.

Great book
Lisa  R Smith
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book last year. I loved it. Mystery and Police Procedurals are my first love. Lesbian fictional love stories snuck in when I wasn’t looking. Detective Sept Savoie, a character from Vali’s Cain Casey series, comes from a family of NOLA police officers. There is a horrific murder behind a famous restaurant, one of the chefs is carved up. This restaurant is owned by a New Orleans matriarch whose Granddaughter is head chef and Savoie’s first suspect. The story unfolds from there and pull ...more
Carly
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this as I love a good thriller with a romance thrown in. The book is brutal and gory which made me cringe at times but the romance broke it up nicely. I really want to read the sequel Answering the call but as I read the first page it was quite graphic so think a break needs to be taken and not to be read one after the other.
Delitealex
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Sept Savoie and Keegan Blanchard. Loved the action and suspense. I would definitely read more books about them.
Katia M. Davis
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this based on a recommendation for the sequel. I'd actually got it quite a while ago but it had sat in my digital 'to read' for a very long time. The recommendation prompted me to read it because the sequel sounded interesting. It is relatively fast paced and well thought out. I didn't feel that it lagged anywhere. I did feel the romance parts sometimes took away from the story because they were quite frequent, but I suppose it depends on why you are reading the book. If you want lots of ...more
Ban
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
susan
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love my (well not mine) Ali

First off when I started reading the book I was like what the heck. I kept waiting for Cain Casey to jump out somewhere. Lol. Finally I started getting I to the storyline and the characters and was like😮 Sept is like my Cain just on the other side of the law. I really loved the names in this book Sept and Keegan. I was shocked and the end because I thought I knew who the bad guy was. 😮 <<
Merles
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ali Vali does a great job making me fall in love with her characters. That's why she's my favorite author ever: underrated from the affect of the garbage we have now. Sitting alone in a mall waiting for my friends to finish up, I crack open a book and tell myself I have to read before it passes the due date. When I start, I can't seem to stop. In the bus. In the subway. Coming back home. My hands shake, my body bounces in excitement as I cannot wait to know what'll happen next.

Some scenes at fi
Fiona
Jan 19, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked this book. I skipped the parts I thought were too weird, when the crazy killer talked to himself and I skimmed over some of the gore, but overall it wa a pretty good read with a fair amount of suspense. Some parts even made me laugh out loud.
Angel
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a compelling story!!!

I think I found a new fictional wife! I’ve got mad love for Cain Casey but I am head over heels in love with Sept now! I just wish it was possible for me to take Keegan’s place because I’m so green with envy right now. This author knows how to keep me hanging off of my seat, bed or office chair with her flawless writing, vivid descriptions of New Orleans and the witty characters she created. I’m really looking forward to reading the sequel to this story!
Mirtha Siblesz
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

This was an excellent story. Kept me glued to it from start to finish. Sept (seventh child) and Keegan were sexy and sweet. Their respective families were very cute! The serial killings were really suspenseful! The Santeria aspect was very intriguing. Overall, an excellent story!
Karen
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, suspense
The plotting was excellent, but the author and editors needed to make sure to do a better job at editing. In one paragraph the main character says she is going one place and 2 lines later shes heading to a different location. ... Inconsistencies like that.
Stephanie
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is for the audible version. This was really really good. Only negative I have is the instalove. There was plenty of time to develop a little more in depth relationship between the MCs. But otherwise...this was a very enjoyable book!!
KarenC
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book because I wanted to read the new Answering the Call. The case that the story revolves around was full of twists and turns and had me on the edge of my seat. And the chemistry between Sept and Keegan was off the charts.
Annette
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sally Trotter
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suspense to the end

I'm the aftermath of Katrina as New Orleans fights to get back to normality a crazy killer tests Detective Sept Savoie to the limit. Great story can't wait for the next one

MJ
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
C.J. Murphy
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am such an Ali Vali junkie! Another fantastic book!! Some familiar characters from the Casey Clan and of course more of fabulous New Orleans. Well done!!
Jane Barcklow
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

Suspense, thrilling and terrifying with just the right amount of romance. Fantastic read I highly recommend it covers each genre beautifully.
Wendy Simpson
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome Twist

Great great book. I definitely wasn’t expecting the twist in the story. I was so convinced I know who the killer was! Definitely a must read.
Rosie Wood
Feb 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full of misleading

Just as I was expected to, I fell into the trap set by the author!
An intreging story with a happy ending
Best Lesfic Reviews
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A crime thriller built around an irresistible romance. A yummy combination, indeed.

Detective Sept Savoie is called out to investigate a murder. The body is found behind one of New Orleans’ most famous restaurants run by the formidable matriarchal family of the Blanchards. One of Sept’s first suspects is Keegan Blanchard, owner and head chef of the restaurant behind which the dead body was found. However, when more bodies start turning up, Keegan is quickly cleared of any suspicion. But the attr

• Ask, Tell
  • Fireflies
  • Breaking Character
  • Finding Jessica Lambert
  • The X Ingredient
Ali Vali is the author of the long-running Cain Casey "Devil" series and the Genesis Clan "Forces" series, as well as numerous standalone romances including two Lambda Literary Award finalists, Calling the Dead and Love Match, and her 2017 release, Beauty and the Boss. Ali also has a novella in the collection Girls with Guns.
Originally from Cuba, Ali has retained much of her family's traditions an

Sept Savoie & Keegan Blanchard (2 books)
  • Answering the Call