Start by marking “Starship's Mage: Omnibus (Starship's Mage, #1)” as Want to Read:
Starship's Mage: Omnibus (Starship's Mage, #1)

Starship's Mage: Omnibus (Starship’s Mage #1)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  3,346 Ratings  ·  195 Reviews
In a galaxy tied together by the magic of the elite Jump Magi, Damien Montgomery is a newly graduated member of their number.

With no family or connections to find a ship, he is forced to service on an interstellar freighter known to be hunted by pirates.

When he takes drastic action to save the "Blue Jay" from their pursuers, he sets in motion a sequence of events beyond
Audio CD
Published December 8th 2015 by Tantor Audio (first published December 3rd 2014)

Mike (the Paladin)
This is the second magic and technology novel I've read of late. I must admit while this one delves deeply into the fantasy side of things and tells a very "brain-candyish" story I think I actually enjoyed it more. It gets a 5 star rating based on the enjoyment factor.

In a universe where starships are "jumped" across interstellar distances by mages who somehow manage to teleport them through time and space Damien Montgomery is a mage and wants to be a Jump-Mage. Sadly the family of the Mage Kin
Mike (the Paladin)

Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.0 Stars
The world-building was definitely the best part of this novel. As a piece of science fiction with elements of fantasy, this story reminded me a bit of Star Wars. Unfortunately, the characters were very weak, particularly the females. Overall, it was a decent escapist read.
Brian
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, Starship's Mage: Omnibus. I bought this book because Starship's Mage: Episode 1 was free from Amazon on a day I went looking for something new to read in the SFF zone. Free can be a chancy thing: I've gotten a fair number of free books from Amazon that were ... good efforts, to be gracious.

However, with Starship's Mage: Episode 1, author Glynn Stewart sucked me into his universe, made me care about his characters, and gave me a cracking good read. That got him a four star review, but I need
Esmerelda Weatherwax
Review to come later.
Sven
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This an "ok" book. It's perfectly enjoyable but doesn't completely live up to it's potential.

What I liked...
- When it focuses on the Mage himself, Damian Montgomery, it's good.
- Achieves a smooth blending of magic with Sci-Fi.
- The setting is well thought out and interesting.
- Great ending.

What I didn't like...
- Wastes a lot of potential by spending too much time telling the story from the perspective of a standard copy and paste "on the edge of the law" space ship captain.
- Weak supporting cast
Zad
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started to read this series because I like Glynn Stewarts Castle Federation series, and his writing style. I had my doubts about merging magic and fantasy with sci-fi and technology. I must say that I was thoroughly surprised. This is a very well written book and (view spoiler) I immediately became a fan of this series too.

I highly recommend this book.
Ronald
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kobo
Mooi debuut. Goeie space opera, met een originele insteek door tovenaars te gebruiken om ruimte sprongen te maken. Mooie spanning, niet teveel herhaling in de verschillende delen. Erg benieuwd naar het vervolg.
Jonathan
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the combination of using magic to get ships from star to star, a neat way of explaining interstellar travel. Magic and space battles and a pretty decent plot, though not unoriginal. Looking forward to the sequel.
Becky ♡The Bookworm♡
❖ ❖ ❖ BR of ebook and Audio w/The Hubster! ❖ ❖ ❖

As The Hubster and I continued our exploration into the world of Space Opera, this little gem popped up on our radar. Starship's Mage: Omnibus contains the first five short stories of the Starship's Mage series. We knew it was a 'must read' the moment we perused the story summary and two words hooked our adventurous minds: Jump Magi.

Who are these Jump Magi you ask? In this fascinating world, they are magically gifted individuals, usually (but n
M60601
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and loved the second book as well (5 stars). I'm currently reading the third book, but I have to leave this positive review because the series just gets better.

This book and series has a lot of pros to it. First of all, in this space opera genre, the main ability of the main character seems to be what can only be described as magic . The mages have these powers due to some Eugenics incident in the past, and the ability to use mage powers is genetic. With these mage po
Pauline
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great blend of science fiction & fantasy

It's been a while since I've read anything that I would classify as actual science fiction, and for many purists this is probably still a fair way off the mark, but for me it was just believable enough to satisfy my inner scientist, without feeling like it got too caught up on the details.

This space action/adventure follows Damien Montgomery, a mage trained to 'jump' ships between the stars. But Damien also has an extra ability - he can "read" magic, a
Caitlin
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read from a list of recommendations by Ilona Andrews.

The audiobook has a little glitch where the very last syllables at the end of chapters got cut off, but otherwise the narrator did a good job distinguishing voices from each other, and was easy to listen to.

This mix of magic and technology makes for a more fast paced travel among the stars (an issue many sci fi books get hung up on, because space is very, very big.) Using the skills of a jump mage, ships can move quickly from one place to anot
Suz
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, scifi
I think the story, characters, and world building were a solid 4 stars. The copy editing, however, seems to be absent all together. Therefore I am forced to take a full star off for this minor but consistent irritant that only serves to pull the reader out of the story and leave them wondering what in the world the author was thinking to release this into the wild like this. It feels unfinished because of the copy editing, and that's just sloppy.

I'm told the next book is pretty bad for copy edit
Aaron Anderson
Interesting universe/premise. I didn't like this nearly as much as the Castle Federation stuff, but that's quite possibly just my own predilections.

I kinda just have this slight aversion to space opera with magic, because it often feels like bad knockoffs of Star Wars. Still, this was still quite interesting and novel.

I actually read the first 4 books of this series a few months ago, and forgot to note it down. I'm going to go read book 5 now that I see it's out.
Kiril Panchev
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of a 4.5 star. Really good book.
Mike
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Space fantasy is a bizarre and wonderful little sub-genre that isn’t as prolific as it should be (particularly given that certain a series from a galaxy far far away is essentially space fantasy). So, coming across the description of Stewart’s Starship’s Mage: Omnibus, in which jump mages are the essential component to interstellar travel I was rather intrigued. The series of novellas follows the exploits of the recently graduated Jump Mage Damien Montgomery as he takes a position upon the merch ...more
Tami
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great scifi-space opera story. This was gripping and the story was well-thought out.
It had a great pace and enough action to keep me interested.

I deducted one star for this very enjoyable read, because the characters stayed to detached. What I mean is, that I never felt close to anyone. The story had many characters and it flowed well, had good dialogue. But still I wasn't even sure who was supposed to be main character. Even the title-giving starship mage was basically only a slim young lookin
Gregoire
May 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, owned, sf, ya
2.5 *
C'est un mixte entre Harry Potter et Star War
L'histoire se lit avec suffisamment de rebondissements pour maintenir l'intérêt avec batailles spatiales, mafia, pirates etc Le jeune mage Damien m'a plutôt tapé sur les nerfs (un jeune inexpérimenté, fraîchement diplômé, mais super puissant bien évidemment)
Pour ma part, j'ai été plus intrigué par l'histoire du capitaine du Blue Jay et ce que l'auteur laisse deviner des colonies humaines (qui sont hélas à peine évoquées )

A part le concept du dép
Geli
Aug 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Starships and mages, what's not to like?!

Even better, the main character is one of those I want as my best friend. Loyal, upstanding, with flaws and edges and common sense. He knows what he can and can't do, and he acts when it is needed.
Not to mention he is a mage. And what an intriguing magic system Stewart has created! No wands but whole ships! Epic spacefights and planets that make me want to travel to the future *now*.

The only thing missing in this book is a certain deepness tha
Sonja
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't decide what to read, so I asked my 16 year-old son to choose fantasy or sci-fi. He chose sci-fi, and this book was the only one already on my kindle. I'm glad he picked the one he did.
The pacing was just right, not too fast, and not too slow. I wanted to know what happened to Damien and the crew.
Now, I have to go find and buy the next one!
Russ Stebbins
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good stuff

This was the second time I read the stories which tells me two things. First, they're well written and enjoyable. Second, they aren't so great that I was dying for the next release and I forgot i had read this earlier . I'm recommending the book and will read her works in the future.
Andy Bigwood
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting merging of 'magic' and SF. I gather that this was originally published as several shorter stories. Fortunately the re-edit has made this reasonably seamless. I find myself interested in this universe and intrigued to find out what happens next.
ECL
Just barely a 3 star rating - way too much repetitive descriptions of weapons systems and action scenes for me. I like the setting and concept. I'm hoping that 'Mage king's hand' will have more plot and more magic.
Mandapanda
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Light and entertaining mix of space opera and magic with an appealing MC.
Ari
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pleasantly surprised with this one. I don't know that I've ever read a space fantasy before, but it was a bit different from the norm.
JPT
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alfred
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Glynn Stewart's writing is not great. He does not have a gift with words or with story telling. His narrative is flat and boring. I was put off from the start by the way he reminds us about events that just happened one chapter ago, or by some premise he explains again only tens of pages after he introduces it. And then again, and then again, as if he does not trust his readers to be able to remember things for longer.

The plot is equally simplified, for the forgetful reader. In chapter one Dami
Matthew
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a surprise for me, as I was expecting just a mediocre, slightly entertaining book. Instead I got a gripping series of tales. Don't get me wrong though, in my categorization system, this is still an entertaining book as opposed to a good book.

The characters are paper-thin here, but Stewart more than makes up for that with his world building and sometimes legit surprising story. The world building is done best when he writes in these nice little touches that are so easy to miss. One
Kristjan
I picked this up through kindle unlimited and I freely admit to inflating my rating on this series because it was just so much fun to read (and is a step up from the typically stuff you get on kindle unlimited). I basically binged this series over about 1 weeks time.

I like Hard Sci-Fi
I like Fantasy

This series gives you both. All of the SciFi stuff that typically gets a tech hand wave as being so advanced it appears to be magic (I am looking at you FTL and Antigrav devices) actually IS magic ...
Space Opera Fans : Feb 2018 THEMED Starship's Mage by Glynn Stewart 18 44 Feb 25, 2018 08:13AM
Kindle Unlimited ...: Starship's Mage by Glynn Stewart 1 10 May 04, 2017 08:43AM
Goodreads Librari...: Series Update 3 18 Jan 09, 2016 12:23PM
  • Linesman (Linesman, #1)
  • Méridien (Silver Ships, #3)
  • Shattered Worlds (Koban #4)
  • Knights of the Chosen  (Spirit of Empire, #2)
  • Metal Boxes (Metal Boxes #1)
  • Seeing Red (Ambassador #1)
  • Teardrops In The Night Sky (Steven Gordon Series,#1)
  • By Other Means (Hayden War Cycle, #5)
  • Cadet (Defender of the Empire #1)
  • A Call to Arms (Honorverse: Manticore Ascendant, #2)
  • A Sword Into Darkness
  • First Conquest (Stellar Conquest, #1)
  • Glory Main (The Sim War, #1)
  • Starship Eternal (War Eternal, #1)
  • Command Decisions (Empire of Bones Saga, #3)
  • Sidespace (Aurora Renegades, #1)
  • Admiral Invincible (Spineward Sectors, #7)

Starship’s Mage (5 books)
  • Hand of Mars (Starship's Mage, #2)
  • Voice of Mars (Starship's Mage #3)
  • Alien Arcana (Starship's Mage, #4)
  • Judgment of Mars (Starship's Mage, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99