Start by marking “Containment (Stories of Singularity, #2)” as Want to Read:
Containment (Stories of Singularity, #2)

Containment

(Stories of Singularity #2)

The Mining Master of Thebe is all alone… not counting the scavenger drones, foundry nanites, and magtread tractors buzzing across the tiny Jovian moon. So when a spindly tower of rocks mysteriously appears at the pole, it’s enough to vex the Mining Master’s machine-sourced intelligence like dust trapped in a harvester joint. Reporting it could mean reassignment to the Oute ...more
ebook
Published December 7th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Containment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Containment

Karen
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.The story starts out with a bit of a mystery and by the end I started to think about what makes us human.I was really intrigued by the Mining Master of Thebes and would love find out more about his future.This book is a standalone story and can be read without reading any of the previous ones.
Sophia
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-romance
I thought the first story in the Stories of Singularity collection was satisfying and thought-provoking, but this second one about a mining master lower-level AI attaining creativity and innovative thought and longing to be free was even better. I was cheering them on so hard both to freedom and higher sentience.
Teri Miller
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very techie, once feelings/passion for art is discovered the story takes off!

I like Ms Quin's work, but had a bit if a hard time getting into this one. I appreciate the technology described for the mining process, but didn't really get into the story until the Master Miner discovers art and beauty.
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
New meaning to transcendence...ascendance may be the best word to describe this.
I think; therefore, I am. Biology is not necessary.

More tastes of the Singularity world.
Samantha Sterling
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The thing that I love most about this story is the twist that I did not see coming!

This short story is a great tale about the evolution of thought and how even under the most regimented circumstances, knowledge can be developed and honed. It makes you think about what boundaries really mean in a post-Singularity world, and if those boundaries are really meant for the good of all who populate that world.

Susan has done a great job with this story, making you consider not only how this
Lindsay
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ooh... I really love how this one ended. I wasn't sure, in the beginning, how I felt about it. The inner monologue of a lower sentient mind, mostly centered around mining equipment, wasn't something I could easily relate to. But there was a certain... intrigue... that kept pulling me along.

I really love the speculation that I'm left with after finishing this one. Even though it takes place in the same world as Singularity, it is left very open ended. It would be possible to read this story as a standal
Julie Stafford
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Robots trying to escape. Really?? I highly recommend that you read the first two novels of this series before you read any of the short stories. This short story intrigued me because it's about a robot being kept prisoner on an outer planet mining. The robot doesn't realize in the beginning that it is being held a prisoner to do this job. Susan Kaye Quinn totally surprised me with the great ending. This story also makes you think. Could a robot be made a prisoner and then by itself come to reali ...more
Anna Tan
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, review-copy
The Mining Master of Thebe has encountered a strange arrangement of rocks that shouldn't be there. When a visiting ascender makes a beautiful work of art, he is inexplicably drawn to it. He wants to probe more into this mystery, but there is work to be done and scheduled health checks to be performed.

There was something beautifully haunting about Containment. Quinn explores the idea of sentience and robotic intelligence, providing startling revelations - at least to the robot.

* I re
clifford h leighton
Refreshing

I received this book in exchange for a truthful review
First let me say that I don't like short stories (as a rule ), yet this story breaks the rule. The idea of the story being told from a AI's point of view is intreging and the local is interesting as well. Of course the basic problems of short stories still exist, a lack of depth and character development are present. But the great story makes up for it.
Susan (The Book Bag)
Of the four stories in the Stories of Singularity #1-4, I think this one was my favorite. It took me a bit to figure out what was going on and where the story was going but it all started to make sense. I was rooting for the 'contained' but also left me wondering how far away we are from machines trying to escape the worlds we have put them in.
Jason Corfman
Apr 07, 2019
Michelle Edwards
Oct 29, 2017
CLICK HERE for a FREE STORY

Susan Kaye Quinn is a rocket scientist turned speculative fiction author who now uses her PhD to invent cool stuff in books. Her works range from young adult science fiction to adult future-noir, with side trips into royal fantasy romance and middle grade. Her bestselling novels and short stories have been optioned for Virtual Reality, translated into German and Fren

Stories of Singularity (8 books)
  • Restore (Stories of Singularity, #1)
  • Augment (Stories of Singularity, #3)
  • Awakening (Stories of Singularity, #4)
  • Stories of Singularity (Stories of Singularity, #1-4)
  • Harvest (Stories of Singularity #5)
  • Résistance (Stories of Singularity 7)
  • Defiance (Stories of Singularity, #6)