Start by marking “Trick of the Light (Anti-Heroes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Trick of the Light (Anti-Heroes, #1)

Trick of the Light

(Anti-Heroes #1)

Karl leads a quiet life—quieter than he wants, especially since getting into a fight with one of the most powerful men in the city—but it could be worse. In a city where super heroes and villains can level a city block in a moment, it's a good day when nothing is destroyed, especially for the man who sells super hero insurance.

After yet another date stands him up, Karl hea
ebook
Published January 11th 2016 by Megan Derr

To ask other readers questions about Trick of the Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trick of the Light

Renée
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance

A short, but entertaining read. Karl is an insurance adjuster in this alternate world where Superheroes and Supervillains exist. Karl makes sure normals, like him, get reimbursed for the damage done to personal property when the Supers are fighting against each other. An interesting concept for sure. The problem? It's normally the Heroes doing the most damage, but the government is corrupt and controls the media. So the public is trained to believe in the Heroes.

Karl isn't like the she
Sara
I have to tell y’all something. I have a serious crush on Megan Derr and the words she writes. I can’t begin to explain how much I enjoy her writing and how quickly I fall in love with her stories. This may be a semi-biased-crush-review but I don’t know any other way to do it. Sorry, folks.

So, this book. It’s fresh, it’s different and it is amazing. I am not the biggest super hero kind of fan, I know I know. I mean, I know about them and I have watched movies, shows, and seen comics but this sto
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pleasantly surprised by this one. As a girl who often tended to root for the "villains", I find this story refreshing and interesting. Can't wait for the next one.
Pete W
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have read the prototype of this story on Ms. Derr's website and quite liked it, as well as a handful of other stories in this universe from both the websites and previous books.

With all that said, I wish this book would be a bit more fleshed out. At times, it felt as though the book kinda skip a bit of progression from budding relationship to very serious.

I also wanna read the (view spoiler)
Samantha
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm-read
I'll put my feelings about this book simply.

Was it horrible? No.

But has it been done before? Yes.
Has it been done better? Absolutely.

It was a big bummer for something that sounded so neat. I'll stick to Cari Z's super villains and such. For loyal fans of Megan Derr, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It just was too boring and bland for me personally.
Ili Anna
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Omg! I loved this book. It was a sweet story where heroes where villains and villains were heroes. Trick and Karl are so sweet. A civilian falls in love with a badass invisible villain. I would have loved it more if the story was longer so it could show better the dynamics between Countdown and Trick Of Light. Favorite hero-villains ever.
Gieliza
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: absolute-fave
5 super stars!

It's no secret that I love Megan Derr and Trick of the Light is yet another winner from her. It's one of the most imaginative and original take on the superhero genre that I've come across. Who do you trust if the heroes are the bad guys and the purported villains are the ones saving the common people? Karl leads a quiet life with his cats until one night when he comes across an injured super villain, Trick of the Light. Little did he know that providing the super a place to recov
Issa
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this so bad. I mean superheroes! Gah! But it just wasn’t there. Gah,

Karl is an insurance man. He insurers against superhero/villian damage. I love when superhero stories take this into consideration and Karl is awesome. To those he helps he well liked but on the personal side he’s a dud when his pursuit of a watch puts on the bad side of a wealthy man. One night he helps a very injured supervillian, Trick of the Light (not an easy feat as Trick of the Light is aptly named, he’s
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
Sometimes a book's not perfect but its so much fun it's just right. That's the way I felt reading this odd romance with understated action. Mild mannered insurance guy falls for villain. This is my second Megan Derr and I see she has a style of her own. It's like a drop rolling down a window slowly setting up the plot, character development, backstory and tone then SPLASH action. Quirky to the hills but quiet. I know this is a series so I won't say the ending was rushed because it ended like eve ...more
Lily
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
3.1 stars. This story has a great concept and plenty of interesting characters. But it's simply too brief to properly deliver on such an ambitious premise.
Nastya Nikitina
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. It is far from perfect with the poor flow of events and not consistent character behavior. The biggest problem was that you can only fit so much into a short story for it to feel as genuine as it should.
But I love the concept that was executed so well. It is definitely a good superhero story.
Sarina
Review written for Love Bytes Reviews.

Oh my God, this book was SO GOOD! Seriously, for a novella this packed one hell of a punch!

Karl is just your everyday run of the mill guy; he lives by himself, dotes on his two cats, and keeps apprised of the local super hero/super villain battles that take part almost daily. The newest on the scene, and his newest fascination, Trick of the Light, just adds a little bit of guilty spice to Karl’s everyday ordinary. When he’s stood up again by yet another blin
Rosie
The cover for this is seriously stunning, but that's maybe the only thing I really liked about this book. The whole set up seemed like I was reading a bad fanfiction of Love For The Cold-Blooded. There was just nothing else new about this to distinguish it from other superhero/villain stories, so it came across as a superficial copy. The superhero names were okay, I guess - cringe-y at times (Trick of the Light is such a mouthful) but not too terrible at other times.

Karl was a bit of a blah char
Katherine
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful story, in a world where heroes aren't always heroic and getting a little good done can mean first doing a lot of bad.

Karl is a sweet and lonely character. He's an insurance owner who specifically covers damage from super fights. He never lets anyone go homeless, hungry, or be helpless when they have their lives ruined by a super fight. It has earned him a loyal clientele, but it has also given him a good look at the other side of supers. He sees that they are not the heroes
Steph ☀️
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the anti-hero theme here :) I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed reading this book, and cannot wait for what the series will bring. Throughout the book I was cheering for Karl, not just in regards to his relationship with Trick; but in life itself. I honestly came across this book through KU, and I really have to say I love the service that amazon provides. The books I truly enjoy, I end up buying for my library to be read and read again. I have to say this is one of those books. If your lo ...more
Milica
Feb 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Definitely not the best one by Megan Derr. It was OK,no more and no less, and unfortunately not too engaging. There was no room for some serious development, world building...although I found romantic part of the story not to be lacking. Hope the next one will be a little longer and, honestly, little better.
Kittykills
Jan 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
DNF, sadly I'm reminded of why I don't read MD.
DaisyGirl

As usual, Megan Derr rocks.

Bottom line: I'm moving on to book 2!
Reddazrael
May 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbt
I feel like this book had so much missed potential. It had some really cool ideas! For instance, the very concept of the main character, Karl. Sure, you get protagonists all the time who are like "*grumble grumble* HEROES *grumble grumble* OFF MY LAWN *grumble grumble*" and dislike heroes because, like, they're overshadowed by their hero sibling or something. Or it's dramatic because someone died due to some hero's recklessness, which makes sense as a reason but is quite overdone.

Karl has a pret
Maberan Potato
I was a bit disappointed by this, not gonna lie, but I'll explain that part later. I really liked the beginning -I'm a sucker for the old "found an almost dead weird, most likely dangerous person in my yard and took him home" cliche. Karl and Trick were very fun together, I liked the story and stuff, but as the story unfolded it became clear it wasn't an anti-hero story.

Basically Trick is a super villain. Karl saves him because the heroes are rude, keep destroying everything and stuff, and becau
Patricia Rickard
Megan Deer couldn't write a bad story if she tried

I took a random chance on a random story a year ago and have not regretted it once since then. I buy just about every book with Megan's name on it and have pushed them like drugs on everybody I know.

This book is completely original while playing with themes touched on from comics like The Avengers and The Boys, where superheroes are recognized as destructive and yet politics plays a powerful role in spinning it off as good or not their fault. I l
B
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick Read but delightful

This Was Awesome! Often I find myself wondering about the flipside of characters. Particularly those that are good. If an organization states it is purely for the good of the people I get suspicious. This book takes a vaguely Robin Hood approach to villains and it works well. My main gripe is this is too short.
LWM
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All of Megan Derr's books are winners!

What can I say? I enjoy reading her stories! She has an imaginative and creative mind and a direct, matter-of-fact style that I just like a lot. This one employs that creative talent, and ends up like a super hero book taking place in the very distant future. Her books are timeless, full of adventure, and have endless appeal.
Marianne
Trick of the Light was a nice blend of cute romance and suspenseful action/adventure. I liked the concept of the heroes and villains and Karl was a really likable main character. I'll be adding the next book to my "to read" list.
Lie
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a lot of kissing. Like, a lot. Tons of kissing. Half the book was probably kissing.
The plot/setting was a bit cheesy, but I'm a sucker for it anyways.
The romance part started too sudden imo, but Trick and Karl were cute.
Fantus
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well...Heroes gone bad.

This was fun! Ms Deer is very good at making you like her hero's . I am waiting for more world building . So does love trump evil?? We are going g to find .
Ornella (Nyx)
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, lgbt
Interesting.
Omega696
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
That was interesting take on supernatural heroes theme. I really liked both Trick of Light and Karl.
MaelleMaud
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mm
Karl & Trick
This was unexpected and quite original. A bit rushed at the end but the setting and characters are interesting and I am impatient to read the next one!
⌚⚡❤⚡⌚
Denise White
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it

It was too short.... I wanted more of this world and characters ... I feel like it's only the top of the iceberg and I want more... Off to book 2
« previous 1 3 next »

• Love for the Cold-Blooded, or The Part-Time Evil Minion's Guide to Accidentally Dating a Superhero
  • By Fairy Means or Foul (Starfig Investigations, #1)
  • Private Dicks: Undercovers
  • Beneath the Waves (Mers, #1)
  • Azure Seas & Dragon Isles
  • Battle of Will
  • Bone Rider
  • Burn the Sky (Wytch Kings, #1)
  • The Subtle Build of Perfection
  • Lord Mouse
  • Finding the Wolf (The Dragon's Hoard, #1)
  • Bad Magic (Spell Slave, #1)
  • Dogwood Days (Holly Creek, #1)
  • Fairytales Slashed 4
  • Locked (Telluric Realm, #1)
  • A Policy of Lies (Trust Series, #1)
  • Black Snow
  • Sebastian (Family of Lies, #1)
Megan is a long time resident of m/m fiction, and keeps herself busy reading, writing, and publishing it. She is often accused of fluff and nonsense. When she's not involved in writing, she likes to cook, harass her cats, or watch movies (especially all things James Bond). She loves to hear from readers, and can be found all around the internet.

maderr.com
maderr.tumblr.com
maderr.livejournal.com

Anti-Heroes (2 books)
  • Turncoat (Anti-Heroes, #2)