Start by marking “The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1)

The Field Guide

(The Spiderwick Chronicles #1)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  72,870 ratings  ·  3,005 reviews
It all starts when Jared Grace finds their great uncle's book, 'Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to the Fantastic World Around You' and the Grace kids realize that they are not alone in their new house. Now the kids want to tell their story but the faeries will do everything they can to stop them.
Published 2003 by Simon & Shuster

To ask other readers questions about The Field Guide, please sign up.
Danielle Swift I am a 4th grade teacher and I have this series in my library. It's written at exactly a 4th grade level and my students love to read it. I have a…moreI am a 4th grade teacher and I have this series in my library. It's written at exactly a 4th grade level and my students love to read it. I have a pair of students who have read all the way to book 4 so far. The plot isn't scary and is full of lots of magic that they enjoy. Both boys and girls seem to enjoy the series equally. (less)

·  72,870 ratings  ·  3,005 reviews

Patrick
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading these books for the second time. But it's been years since I picked them up, and it's the first time I'm reading them with my son. And both of those things make a huge difference to my experience.

First, and perhaps most importantly, my little boy likes them. He's about five an a half, which is younger than the target age for these books, but he's into them.

(In the interest of full disclosure, Oot isn't the most critical of readers at this point in his life. He pretty much likes all
Bangadybangz
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun little book! Short and sweet, quirky and magical, loved it! I've always been a fan of anything to do with fairies and folklore, so I'm definitely pumped to delve more into this exciting world!
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1), Tony DiTerlizzi
After finding a mysterious, handmade field guide in the attic of the ramshackle old mansion they’ve just moved into, Jared; his twin brother, Simon; and their older sister, Mallory, discover that there’s a magical and maybe dangerous world existing parallel to our own—the world of faerie. The Grace children want to share their story, but the faeries will do everything possible to stop them...
The first book, The Field Guide, was publ
Sh3lly
I read this with my daughter for a school book report. It features three children and their now-single mom, as they move to a dilapidated house owned by an elderly relative.

Mallory is the eldest and likes fencing. Simon is one of the twin boys and loves animals and science. Jared is the other twin and appears to the trouble-maker of the bunch. They discover they may not be the only inhabitants after stumbling upon a hidden attic with a field guide full of details about fairies.

Crazy things sta
Rachel
Mar 24, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything about the packaging and promotion of this book is delightful...the title, the mysterious notes obscuring the back cover synopses, the inclusion of a letter from the three children protagonists to the author. All of that is very nice, but after reading the first installment, I can't help but feel a little robbed.

First of all, and forgive me for this, I can't help comparing the books to a more cleverly written and altogether smarter series, Lemony Snicket's "A Series of Unfortunate Eve
Taylor Knight

I read the Spiderwick Chronicles back when I was quite young, maybe eight or nine. My sister and I read the crap out these books (we must have read them 15 times, no joke) and I've been wanting to revist this series and the wonderful fantasy world that Holly and Tony created for awhile now but I've finally gotten around to it.

The writing partnership of Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi is remarkable and this series is by far some of the most well written literature that I've ever read.

The three ma
Becky
Just your typical 'move into an old creepy house, weird stuff starts happening, one of the kids gets blamed, and then they find a book that explains the existence of fairies/faeries/fey which solves their problems... while at the same time causing many more problems'.

Happens every day.

Also, I'm no expert in the sport of fencing, but I'm pretty sure that they don't call the weapon a sword, and someone who is serious about fencing, as Mallory apparently is, would know that.

I think that this boo
Kristina
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading and loving this book when I was 10 or 11years old. So when I saw it in one of my local charity shops I immediately bought it. I definitely don't regret it. I think I loved it just as much as my child self. Maybe because I am such a huge fan of all things paranormal.
I like that there are drawings throughout the book which are absolutely gorgeous by the way. :)
It follows the adventure of two brothers and a sister into the magical world right beside the house they live in. Ther
C.G. Drews
I read this for research purposes. I'm pretty sure a boggart is stealing my left socks. OKAY, NO. That's not why I'm researching it! I want to write children's books, and mine turn out too weird, so I thought I'd read more children's books and get a hang of the voice and style. This was an epic example. (It can't be more then 10K, right?) I really enjoyed it. I've watched the movie, and the first book is...what? The first 20 minutes of the movie?! It's such an adorably cute book! But now I'm imp ...more
C.P. Cabaniss
About a year and a half ago I found this entire five book series at a thrift store and decided to buy them. I didn't know much about the series, other than that there was a movie made, but for five bucks I decided to take a chance. And now, over a year later, I have finally started reading them. And I'm really glad I have.

This first book is about the Grace children: Mallory, Jared, and Simon. Their lives have changed quite drastically in a short amount of time and they find themselves in a new
Anne
Very cute! I can see why kids like them. I'm sure I'll end up buying the complete set for mine!
Leona  Carstairs
"The Field Guide" is one imaginative little book. This book is short, but very good and original. For fast readers such as myself, it might take 20-30 minutes to read this book. That's how quick of a story it is. But despite being only about 100 pages, I totally loved the story of the Grace siblings.

I read this for the first time when I was 8?? 9?? I don't really remember actually, but I loved these magical adventures then and still do. If you know anyone who is a reluctant reader, or prefers s
George Jankovic
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book for kids (8-11). It's spooky at times as you follow two twin boys and their sister in a creepy, old house.

Enjoy!
bella ϟ  [ bella farren ]
3 / 5 stars

The Spiderwick Chronicles movie had been a family favourite in my household for years, my sister and I watched the movie a ridiculous amount of times and yet, I never read the series. I was curious when I picked this up, to see how much of the story I remembered and how accurate the film had been.

This story follows the Grace family, who were forced to move into the house of a crazy Great Aunt when they couldn't afford to live in New York after the divorce. The three siblings; Jared a
Amy
Jul 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun and quick read.
Jackie "the Librarian"
Fairies are DANGEROUS. And they don't want you to know about them. I love that this book takes the question of fairies and brownies and pixies seriously, it gives this story its power. I love the setting: the rambling old house out in the country, the secret room, the shadowy feeling that something is watching...
And I love the format of this series, with the uneven edges to the pages, the small size of the books. They just feel cool.
This is the first book of the series, and it starts off strong
Brooke
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
This had everything a children's book should have: imagination. This was really great!
Gretchen
As I said in an earlier comment, I love the size and feel of this small book. That may sound an odd comment, but I am a book lover of the real deal books, not electronic ones. I love books you can hold in your hands, feel and smell the paper, books you can caress. It's just such a lovely size; I could hold it in one hand whilst I read. Even the fonts captured me. This is the sort of book that I would have cherished as a young girl, collecting all of the series and placing them in a special spot ...more
Peter Monn
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book so much. Can't wait to read the rest of the series. Check out my review on my booktube channel at http://YouTube.com/peterlikesbooks
Faseeh Ilahi
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
I freaking loved this book. The story was cute. The illustrations were amazing. The plot and the twist and turns were admirable. This was a really short book but a really fun one.
Dec 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lemony Snicket Fans
Shelves: ya, fantasy, adventure, 2005
The First book in a series of Five.

The story is about the Grace Children: Mallory who is 13 and the 9 year-old twins Jared and Simon. When their father leaves the family, mom and the kids move into the Spiderwick estate - a large crumbling mansion that they inherited from their “crazy” Aunt. The house is big enough for Mallory to practice her fencing, Simon to keep his stray animals he loves and for Jared to ....well... mostly just be pissed off. He isn’t handling the whole abandonment thing re
Cori Reed
Very fun and just the right amount of spooky!
Jenny Baker
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, childrens, fantasy
Fun story, but too short. I can't wait to read the next one! 🤺🐀
Stefan Yates
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-room
I wasn't too sure what I was getting into when I started this book and I must say that I was much more than pleasantly surprised. The story centers on a mother and her three children, a set of twins and their older sister, who have just moved into the old dilapidated house that has been in the family for years. Very soon after moving in, strange occurrences begin to happen and the children dedicate themselves to solving the mystery.

This is a well written introduction to the series and the style
Abigail
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Fantasy Lovers / Children Who Believe in Fairies
When siblings Jared, Simon and Mallory Grace move to the country with their mother after their parents' divorce, they aren't sure just what to make of their new home. A rambling old Victorian mansion on a large and wooded property somewhere in Pennsylvania, the Spiderwick Estate belongs to their great-aunt Lucinda, reputed to have gone insane, and is slowly falling into disrepair. Jared, known in his family as a trouble-maker ever since he began getting into fights at school, leads his twin brot ...more
Marit
I needed one more fantasy and this book was sitting on my brothers book shelves. So I said to myself just read it what's the worst that could happen. Anyways I watched the movie as a child and got extremely scared of it. I don't remember why I just did. This is a great example of a fantasy book that I don't hate. I read this all tonight as soon as I got home and ended up liking it. What a shock I like a fantasy book. 😂
It had realistic people with hints of fantasy in it. But you weren't constant
Lane
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably one of the quickest reads that I've ever actually enjoyed. It survives the middle grade fate of being written so condescendingly young that it isn't really that fun (here's looking at you, A Series of Unfortunate Events). While it's too short to get a lot of character development, what is revealed is quite intriguing and does make you somewhat invested in the characters, especially Jared, who kind of just gets blamed for everything. This opening book really sets up the series, w ...more
Donna
Short, cute, kinda creepy~ :3
Christina
Pepper
Mar 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first chapter book I have started to read with my six year old son. He truly enjoys the story and with the help of the descriptions the authors give, he is learning to "imagine" the story in his head. The beautiful illustrations scattered throughout the book help to keep him interested as well. My eight year old nephew also loves reading this series on his own.
I feel it is a wonderful story. The first book sets the stage and gives lots of background information. The length of the boo

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Corby Flood (Far-Flung Adventures, #2)
  • Ghostsitters (Araminta Spookie, #5)
  • Ottoline Goes to School (Ottoline, #2)
  • The One-Eyed Giant (Tales from the Odyssey, #1)
  • The Dragonology Handbook: A Practical Course in Dragons
  • Igraine the Brave
  • You Wish (The Misadventures of Benjamin Bartholomew Piff, #1)
  • The Dragonling (The Dragonling, #1)
  • The Water Sprites (Fairy Realm, #8)
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • The Skull of Truth
  • Charlie Bone and the Invisible Boy (The Children of the Red King, #3)
  • Spellsinger (Avalon: Web of Magic #5)
  • How to Be a Pirate (How to Train Your Dragon, #2)
  • Soul Stealer (The Alchemist's Son #2)
  • The Various
  • The Great Good Thing (The Sylvie Cycle, #1)
New York Times bestselling author and illustrator Tony DiTerlizzi has been creating children’s books for nearly two decades. From fanciful picture books like The Spider & The Fly (a Caldecott Honor book), to chapter books like Kenny and The Dragon and the WondLa trilogy, DiTerlizzi imbues his stories with a rich imagination. With Holly Black, he created the middle-grade series, The Spiderwick ...more

The Spiderwick Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Seeing Stone
  • Lucinda's Secret
  • The Ironwood Tree
  • The Wrath of Mulgarath
“- Un libro, en el desván. Trata sobre seres fantásticos, fantásticos pero reales. Fijaos qué feos son.” 0 likes
“It’s just like I remember,” she said, smiling. “Only crappier,” said Mallory.” 0 likes