Start by marking “The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #5)

The Wrath of Mulgarath

(The Spiderwick Chronicles #5)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  33,204 ratings  ·  1,067 reviews
Three ordinary kids, Jared, Simon, and Mallory Grace, have entered another world -- without leaving this one! Two remarkable talents, New York Times best-sellers Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black, have risked everything to bring this remarkable account to light. Five books -- one thrilling adventure -- the Spiderwick Chronicles!
Their world is closer than you think.
Published September 7th 2004 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Wrath of Mulgarath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wrath of Mulgarath

·  33,204 ratings  ·  1,067 reviews

Start your review of The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #5)
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #5), Tony DiTerlizzi
The Wrath of Mulgarath was published on September 7, 2004. The Grace children return from the quarry to the Spiderwick estate, only to find the house in ruins and their mother gone. Hogsqueal the hobgoblin informs them that the house was destroyed by the goblins who have kidnapped their mother and taken her to the palace of their fearsome master, Mulgarath the ogre. Accompanied by Hogsqueal, the siblings journey to Mulgarath'
Faseeh Ilahi
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
This was such a fun series with an epic conclusion. This was amazing and sweet at the same time. There were a lot of mythical creatures in these books which I loved and adored.
Tori I
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
About 30 minutes ago I finished the last book of The Spiderwick Chronicles. This book is called The Wrath Of Mulgrath. This book was probably the best one out of all five. The best part of this book is at the end because you finally get to figure out some good and some bad things. The ending is super sad because Aunt Lucinda is out of the hospital and go to her aunt Lucinda's dad - Jared, Simon, and, Mallory's great great uncle. He has been gone a long time and gets wished back. He sees Lucinda ...more
Omar
Mar 02, 2008 rated it liked it
So, I finished all the books and watched the movie yesterday. The movie used books 1-3 and 5. As always the books are always better than the movie. With that said... I have to admit I enjoyed the movie as well. It rarely happens that I can like both, but this was one of those occasions. The movie... without giving away too much, allows you to see more of the faeries than the book touched upon. It also changes a few things here and there as well. In the end you have a good book series as well as ...more
C.P. Cabaniss
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was the final installment in the Spiderwick Chronicles and overall I was very pleased. Jared faces some of the inner struggles that we have seen in the previous novels and finally faces down some of his demons. The sibling relationship between Jared, Simon, and Mallory continues to be a highlight of the series.

We get a lot of both Thimbletack and Hogsqueal in this final installment, which I appreciated. These two are a lot of fun and it was nice to have them around more. We also get to see
Siobhan
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I can honestly say that this series is one that was really let down by the film adaptation. Back when the film was released I found myself excited for what was to come, only to be extremely disappointed with what we were given. If you’re someone who enjoyed the film then I really do suggest that you read the books to find out just how great they actually are rather than taking the film standpoint on it.

The final book in the series is yet another fast mover, bringing the series to an end through
~ Giulia ~
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I know someone who's an inveterate non-reader, you can count the number of books they've ever read on your fingers (and not even using all of them); 5 of said books are these books. For that alone this whole series would deserve 5 stars.

In this conclusive instalment we have the final confrontation with the orc and the story of the Grace family gets satisfactorily wrapped up. It was especially nice meeting again many characters introduced in the previous books.

I wish I had read it as a child, but
Lupe Dominguez
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great conclusion to the series! I really enjoyed this series. The fantasy angle was well developed and the story was fast paced but not rushed. The ending was perfect and bittersweet but I loved it. So good!! So glad I let my son read them!
Amy
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: completed-series
A nice end to the series.
Hillary
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Michael Sorbello
The Grace kids have been tormented by the inhabitants of the fairy world for quite some time now, but when Mulgarath kidnaps their mother, things get personal. The final book was the best in my opinion. It wrapped things up in a neat way and the final confrontation between the Grace kids and Mulgarath resolved a lot of other issues that have been going on since book one such as the rocky relationship between the siblings, the misunderstandings between the Grace kids and their mom as well as the ...more
~Bellegirl91~
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it
This series was DEFINITELY a quick listen to and actually glad Libby had the audiobooks and also to know Luke Skywalker aka Mark Hamill read these? HECK YES!! AND he did so good. They were just too short Haha. But they were surprisingly good and fun reads.

Ik my family has had the movie for years back when it came out on dvd and my siblings used to watch it but I'd only seen a few seconds of it. All I remember was seeing little Freddie Highmore and how Mallory was looking through a weird thing a
Cindy
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
Abigail
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Who Enjoyed the First Four 'Spiderwick Chronicles'
Returning home after their adventures in The Ironwood Tree , the three Grace children discover that their mother has been kidnapped by the ogre Mulgarath and his goblin army. With the aid of the elves, who allow Jared to confer with Arthur Spiderwick, the three siblings, together with Byron the griffin, Thimbletack the brownie and Hogsqueal the hobgoblin, set out to rescue her. Their plan - Hogsqueal will pretend that he has captured Jared and Mallory, and 'deliver' them to Mulgarath's camp, ...more
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
If I could rate the whole series altogether. I would give it a total of 3.5. The artworks though? That would be a briliant 5/5.

I feel that the author could do something more with the plot. Something more wow . This is the final book in the Spiderwick Chronicles and was I impressed? Not really. The world-building was great, the characters (humans and fey alike) are all fleshed out really well and each has a unique quality about them.
I guess I wanted more. I wanted the books to be longer. I wante
Donna
Ok, so, twelve-year-old me must have had the absolute WORST reading comprehension, because I remembered about 99.9% of these books WRONG in every way imaginable...except for the part with the pixies in the honey, which I guess goes to show what kind of child I was.

Honestly I don't see why these couldn't have been one book? Because I've seen books with an episodic nature like this, and I think it would have worked. Plus probably have cut publishing costs. Not that I'm complaining...it did up my S
Fi's Journey
"That would be overly kind to a goblin in a bind. No, we'll set rats to nibble off your toes, pike out your eyes, and put them up your nose. Your fingers we'll remove with dull scissors, and we'll wait until your confidence withers."(- Thimbletack)

I really liked the whole series. It's kinda funny as the first book I was like "Hmm.. I'm not sure. I like the setting and I love faeries but just not sure." And ta-da! I really enjoyed all of it. The sibling bonding, the creatures (Thimbletack, Hogsq
Crazy Uncle Ryan
Mar 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
I’ve mentioned this before but this is a really short series. Each of the books took me about 45 minutes to an hour to read. I thought this was a really good and creative story but with that being the case I would have liked to have seen the authors do more with it. In other words, make it longer. Granted, these books are aimed at people about ¼ my age so I guess I can’t expect it to be too long. Overall, I really liked these books.
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
This was a fun quick series.
It was captivating and although I would've liked more, I realise that it's a series for children, and not when the authors wrote it they never took into account that adults will also read and love this.

This is a very good series to give to your child to read, or even to read to your child, because you will be enchanted!
Bekah
Read as part of #ReadKidsLit

Solid ending, with room for far more adventures. Great job, kids! (and Thimbletack & Hogsqueal & Byron!) The ending was a teensy bit sad for certain reasons, but otherwise celebratory and full of contentment.
Aaron W. Matthews
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good, brief little series. Geared towards younger readers. It was a pretty fun set of books. The only thing I didn't care for was the hobgoblin character...super annoying! What a pumpkin head that guy was.
Brianne
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
It's a fun, quick series and I'm glad I finished it. I mostly read this one for a challenge, but it was funny and nice to read. I guess I'd recommend the series if you like fantasy and/or children's.
Nilsson
I'm thankful they finally got to the heart of the matter and put a stop to things. Bless them!
Cecilia Raya
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: maddening, 2015-reads
I LOVEEE ITTT SO MUUUUUCH. IT WAS SO CUTE.
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Not a bad conclusion to the series at all. I just wish the world could have been more fully explored and not limited to a backyard.
Sana Zameer
Had fun reading the whole series with my kids. Watched the movie too but it wasn't as good as the books.
Maria
Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-william
I read this book with my son as part of his summer reading, and I asked him to describe the book for my review. He responded that this is a book that is difficult to describe. He liked the mystery, and really enjoyed how the whimsical illustrations supported elements of the narrative. He found this book (number 4 of 5) to be interesting because of the mysteries that are introduced: There is a character who takes on Jared Grace's appearance and form; the field guide goes missing, and there is a m ...more
Yukiraking
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm giving this a four stars, instead of the three I gave all the others, because as a whole, the series would've got four stars from me if it had been a single book. I felt like, after five books, I was only just getting to know the characters. They had personalities with flaws and quirks, but they didn't have time to grow. The books were just too short. The whole of the five books went by faster than some first books of a series.

I did listen to the audiobooks at almost double speed, so maybe t
Chris Webber
Nov 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This story is about Mallory and her twin little brothers Jared and Simon who move to their aunt's country estate with their mother when their parents divorce. They discover a field guide in the house which unlocks a magical world around them and send them through a series of enchanted events.

I loved this series! The pace was perfect, the tone appropriate, the characters absolutely believable and realistic (a trait which I feel is critical in enabling a younger reader to relate to the story), and
Steven R. McEvoy
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love these two authors! They are brilliant. This was an amazing series and I have already got the 3 addendum books and the second series Beyond Spiderwick to read. Part of me was sad to see this series come to an end. I like the characters and the world that Black and DiTerlizzi have created. It is a world I would like to live in, or at least have the opportunity to visit. At the end of this book it states it is the end of the story of the Grace Children, but because there are more books we kn ...more
The Wrath of Mulgarath (book 5) 2 17 Aug 12, 2012 08:34AM

• Срещи с вълшебни създания / Еncounters with magical creatures
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The End (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #13)
  • The Penultimate Peril (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #12)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)
  • The Spiderwick Chronicles: The Field Guide by Holly Black Summary & Study Guide
  • Haunted Canada 3:  More True Ghost Stories
  • Olivia and Snowflake (Unicorn Academy: Where Magic Happens, #6)
  • Maggie and the Flying Pigs (Magic Animal Rescue #4)
New York Times bestselling author and illustrator Tony DiTerlizzi has been creating children’s books for nearly two decades. From fanciful picture books like The Spider & The Fly (a Caldecott Honor book), to chapter books like Kenny and The Dragon and the WondLa trilogy, DiTerlizzi imbues his stories with a rich imagination. With Holly Black, he created the middle-grade series, The Spiderwick Chro ...more

The Spiderwick Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1)
  • The Seeing Stone (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #2)
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • The Ironwood Tree (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #4)