Start by marking “The Night of Wishes” as Want to Read:
The Night of Wishes

The Night of Wishes

The sorcerer Beelzebub Preposteror and his witchy aunt must complete their annual quota of evil deeds before midnight. But a small cat and a raven are waiting to foil their plans and save the world.
Published April 17th 1995 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Night of Wishes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night of Wishes

Start your review of The Night of Wishes
Fran
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
On New Year's Eve, Maledictus Maggot, legal officer of His Excellency the Minister of Pitch Darkness, arrives in the laboratory of Shadow Sorcery Minister Beelzebub Preposteror, to remind Beelzebub that he's behind on his contract to wreak havoc on the world, and that if he does not make good before midnight he'll be foreclose...

I didn't get to read this one as a child, I was well into my adult days when I got my hands on it. Why do I mention this? Because the child in me is still angry she didn
W.
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the series! :) So glad I actually read the book now on which it's based.
Of course two very different things to deal with. I liked the characters and their growing (when there was one). And i absolutely enjoyed all the magic!
But for me there was a lack of tension and something was missing making me adore the story.
I am not the actual target group I have to admit, sometimes scenes seemed nearly ridiculous to me and maybe I had too high expections because of the connection to my childhood.
But
Rage
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, childhood
I love this book. I read it several times when I was much younger, always around New Year's Eve, so this was a very nostalgic read. Great way to start the new year :)
Karissa
Nov 10, 2015 rated it liked it
I have had this book on my to read shelf for a long time. I originally picked it up because it’s by the author of the Neverending Story (which I adore). It ended up being an okay read, but was slow at parts and a bit awkward to read. I think younger readers will enjoy this story more.

The evil sorcerer Beezlebub Preposteror and his equally evil aunt are both behind on their required annual quota of evil deeds. Things start looking better for them when they find a recipe for a potion that can gran
Gian Piero
Nov 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mist
I got this book for Christmas as a kid and I loved it, so the emotional factor makes it four stars instead of three. What can I say? It's no Neverending Story. It's no Momo. But it's a heartwarming story nonetheless. Two villains are lagging behind their evil quotas, and it's not a good thing to default when hell is your creditor. It's up to a cat and a crow to thwart their schemes on New Years' Eve. A great book to put under a kid's tree for Christmas and hook them into reading.
Snow White
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time childhood favs
Bennett
Aug 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book was introduced to our family by a German Exchange student. The villains are evil but not too bright and are eventually foiled by their innocent but resourceful pet cat and crow. Great characters and a page turning plot make this a five star recommendation.
Emily
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favourite bed time stories my dad read to me. I remember how we would go through on hour (one chapter) per night. And I laughed so hard and I loved it so much. Definitely need to reread it soon!
Vanessa Princessa
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Haha! It`s always funny when i stumble upon a book I`ve read years ago and have forgotten about! Anyways - it was amazing then. Loved it! ...more
thefatflatcat
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
4.25

Really enjoyed this one. I bought it to have a nice, spooky Halloween read, but also discovered that it would be suitable for New Year's Eve as well! Twelve-year-old me would have been utterly delighted and so is my current self. The writing style is witty, the characters are comical and overall Michael Ende was a convincingly gifted writer. As is the case after an enjoyable read: I want more!
Jelka
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
4.5*
This is well written and intelligent.
Michael Ende was truly woke.
Of course it's best to read this at New Year's Eve.
Alice
Jun 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a middle-grade book by the author of The Neverending Story. It's meant to be read in real time, meaning the events take place over the course of five hours, and it's meant to be read in five hours. I suppose if a parent read this to a child, the timeline would line up nicely.

Much of the premise of the book is younger than middle grade: a talking cat and raven, a witch and wizard who are evil because they're evil, and transparent main characters. Jacob, the raven, is clever and observant,
Janie G
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
While I did enjoy the playful tone and writing style of The Night of Wishes, I wasn't overly impressed by it. The story is simple and straightforward, which wouldn't be a problem if the plot wasn't so incredibly flat, don't expect any twists or much action. In fact, some opportunities for interesting action were quickly bypassed with a single description of "with cunning and great effort," reading that a character is cunning isn't very interesting, I'd like to make that assessment myself by the ...more
Dharia Scarab
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it

4 sta
Kitvaria Sarene
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-ya
10+
I read this over 20 years ago for the first time and really enjoyed it then.

I thought it was high time for a reread, and it didn't disappoint! What a fun, entertaining and yet exciting story!
I love the two main protagonists who are quite flawed animals who try to stop their owners from doing the most evil things... They startvoff annoyed by each other, but despite cats usually trying to eat birds they end up friends who work together to save the world!

Absolutely recommend it still, just as mu
Monica
Mar 28, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrensbooks
Terrible. I LOVE the Neverending Story and was expecting so much more from Michael Ende. Who knows, maybe it was in the translation that this book became unbearably tedious.
Sara
Dec 16, 2009 rated it did not like it
I read this book as a kid and apparently liked it because I kept it. I just recently re-read it and it is so dumb (and I normally love kids books!) Totally NOT recommended. Waste of time.
Jessi
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Ende is always a favorite. And this book did not let me down.
fridge_brilliance
The main thing you have to know about me and Wunschpunsch is that I love the opening to the TV series of it like crack.

Rewind to some twenty years ago, and you can find me I watching the show casually -- except, as I said, the opening song, which I watched with non-casual amounts of interest and vibration, every fucking time. The show was about two hapless villainous relatives, who cook evil plans to take over the world every day that ends in -y, which are foiled by their magical companions: a
Razvan Moldovan
On the New Year's Eve, Beelzebub Erezinus receives a visit from an unexpected guest, Mr. Ascaride. He is an emmisary of His Infernal Majesty and came to announce Erezinus that he didn't fulfill his yearly contractual conditions of devastating the world through disease, flood, death and other evil things and, because of this, everything will be taken away from him. Scared because he has only one day left to do this, he joins forces with his aunt, Tyrannja Vamperl, in finding the right solution. O ...more
Iarina
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was very fun to read and I really enjoyed this one!

Michael's style to write caught me from the first pages.

Even if there are some spooky parts in it, it was a good book.

Recommend it to the ones that are searching for adventures and are loving the magic!
Katsuro Ricksand
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a delightful little story! What I like the most about it is that it not only takes place during almost exactly seven hours, but also makes sure to keep you updated on what time it is in the story, so that you have the option of reading it in real time (like I did).
Tt10
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Not one of Michael Ende's strongest books, though my ten year old liked it. I prefer "Momo" and "Die unendliche Geschichte".
Emily
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mg-fantasy
There is a chance I would have liked this when I was a kid, but adult-me was not amused.
Orgoani1
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read it a long time ago and really liked it.
Клаудия
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
It deserves 4🌟 because it reminds me the cartoon Wunschpunsch I used to watch when I was a kid and for the wonderful ending. It was nice to read it at the beginning of a new year🎆✨
Kherayux
Best Book ever.
Sawyer
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites, really, really good stuff. One of the books I will buy on sight
Fanni Sütő
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked the humour, the word-play and the things this book could teach to children. I just think I'm a bit too old to enjoy it fully.
Jools.Reads
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favourite comfort reads. :)
« previous 1 3 next »

• Die kleine Hexe
  • Emil und die Detektive / Emil und die drei Zwillinge
  • Das doppelte Lottchen
  • Der Struwwelpeter
  • Der Bücherdrache (Zamonien)
  • Pünktchen und Anton
  • Der Räuber Hotzenplotz (Hotzenplotz, #1)
  • Die Wilden Hühner (Die Wilden Hühner, #1)
  • Das NEINhorn
  • Der 35. Mai oder Konrad reitet in die Südsee
  • Io speriamo che me la cavo: Sessanta temi di bambini napoletani
  • Potilla
  • Max und Moritz. Eine Bubengeschichte in sieben Streichen
Michael Andreas Helmuth Ende was a German writer of fantasy and children's literature. He was the son of the surrealist painter Edgar Ende.

Ende was one of the most popular and famous German authors of the 20th century, mostly due to the enormous success of his children's books. However, Ende was not strictly a children’s author, as he also wrote books for adults. Ende claimed, "It is for this chil