Start by marking “Mask of Duplicity (The Jacobite Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
Mask of Duplicity (The Jacobite Chronicles #1)

Mask of Duplicity

(The Jacobite Chronicles #1)

Following the death of their father, Beth's brother Richard returns from the army to claim his share of the family estate. However, Beth's hopes of a quiet life are dashed when Richard, dissatisfied with his meagre inheritance and desperate for promotion, decides to force her into a marriage for his military gain. And he will stop at nothing to get his way. Beth is coerced ...more
Published July 10th 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published June 8th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Mask of Duplicity, please sign up.
Vana I would not class this book as a romance. I think it should be classed more as intrigue. If you like romance it will definitely disappoint. I do think…moreI would not class this book as a romance. I think it should be classed more as intrigue. If you like romance it will definitely disappoint. I do think the author has a good grasp on the historical aspect. The end of this book is not rounded out enough for me, but this is because it is part of a continuing chronicle. (less)
Vana This book is clean. However there is an attempted rape scene by the brother from which our heroine defends herself, but some readers may find it…moreThis book is clean. However there is an attempted rape scene by the brother from which our heroine defends herself, but some readers may find it offensive. It does not take over though. (less)

Angela
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to receive an advanced reading copy of Mask of Duplicity by Julia Brannan. I really enjoyed reading this book and I can honestly say that I really looked forward to picking it up to continue with the story. I found the writing style so pleasant to read - I found it easy on the mind and I didn't have to struggle with it at all unlike some authors. That's not to say that it's written in a simplified manner, just that it suits my reading style. I was a little concerned at the beg ...more
Miss Melly
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have been searching for a series of novels that delve in-depth into the Jacobite Rising and have now read the available five novels by Julia Brannan. I was greatly impressed by the historical accuracy and the wonderful characters who bring this sad story to life. For those who have read the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, comparisons are inevitable, as both authors have done their research faultlessly, and are bound to draw from the same major points of history.
Unlike the outlander series,
Jason Gardiner
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great read.
Refreshingly different take on the historical novel. Guys buy this for your wife then read it yourself.

Full of things to keep you turning pages.

I've read this and am looking forward to the release of the next book in the series already.

I think its an instant classic.

Most guys would prob not make this type of book their first choice but you'd be mistaken with this one. The flow of the story, the quality and depths of characters, the scene setting and the very informative hist
Anne
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Not so keen on the characters Heroine didn't even fall in love with the hero no HEA. Not what I like
KC
The slow start and plot-driven writing bored me:

1. Beth didn't meet the hero until the 30% mark on my Kindle app.

2. I prefer equal focus on the characters' development and emotions as well as the plot, not less.

What disappointed me the most, though, was that Beth did not even fall in love with the hero by the end of the book! Her feelings for him could best be described as mixed, none of which were even close to being romantic. So there's no HEA or even a HEA For Now which I would have been fi
Cecily Wolfe
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
I love this historical time period, and the author really brings it to life along with believable characters and relationships - definitely continuing with this series!
Sunhawk
Nov 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm getting tired of this meme: evil man oppresses darling woman. Surely it is endemic in our world, and has been for centuries, but I find it increasingly difficult to stay interested ... unless there's something else going on. This book gets off to a roaring start, and maybe it regains its steam later on, but I'm abandoning this book ... but not because of the tired theme.
The writing is clunky and awkward. Here's a sample: "Their loyalty had reduced Beth to tears and determined her to fight he
Lise
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its just a wonderful, captivating, engaging, thrilling, read, I cant put it down !! Thank you for sharing this incredible fictional and yet factual learned tale . If you love historical novels, and fictional but don't want to be bogged down in the usual stuff this book has amazing adventure, fight scenes, thrilling moments and sensual ones.Incredible and interesting facts about the Jacobites too Its great for all genders and tastes. A fantastic new author I cannot wait for the next book.Loving t ...more
Hannah
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this, I loved this, I loved this, I loved this!!!!! New favorite series.
Erin
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This book had a really slow start for me, but it picked up and I am curious to read the next one!
Becca Gordon
I'm more than 50% and giving up. This is not a romance. There has been absolutely not a shred of romance in the 50% or so of this book I have read. That would be fine if there was intrigue. Just now there begins to be some plot brewing but I don't care enough to commit to reading the rest of the book.
Amy
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book that finally helped me understand the Jacobites/stuarts/Hanovarian King George. Intrigue, murder, mystery, espionage. Good novel. It is definitely the start of a series book and recommend at least reading #1 and #2 of this series
Joann Herley
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed Mask of Duplicity. The plot was interesting and the characters were full of life. It offered a little bit of everything: drama, frustration, romance, suspense, emotion. The ending was somewhat of a cliff hanger, but it leaves the reader in a good place. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.
June
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Warning - once you start this book it is very very hard to put down!!! Not familiar with the Jacobite revolution/history it took me a bit to get into the story However once I started I was fascinated with it.Beth is an impoverished single young female who has had the run of her run down country estate pretty much on her own with the death of her father. Then her brother Richard returns with visions of money and position which are quickly dashed when he finds out there is no money except in Beth' ...more
russ burchfield
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I could not put the book down. I lost too much sleep. It is a story of good vs. So much bad and I can't tell you who wins out. You will have to find out on your own but you will not be disappointed.
Allie
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
At first, I was not a fan. I stopped reading to finish some library books, and only returned because I was halfway through. It got better. But I think I''ll just read the reviews on #2
"J" Infusino
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

I look forward to reading the next chapter in Beth's life with Anthony & where her new life begins. Who is underneath the mask.
Melanie
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a new author to me and I am ecstatic to have discovered her stories. Most of the romance series written these days revolve around a different characters from the same family. However, this series of six stories, revolves around the same couple, Beth and Anthony. Now, if you are a fan of The Scarlet Pimpernel, you'll love this story.

I loved everything about this tale, from the characters to the setting and on to the furious action and pace. Everything in this story was perfect for me. I
Joyce Pennington
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely without a doubt loved this book, the author has tremendous talent and I’m looking forward to the entire series
Virginia Tican
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An absorbing read. I was so engrossed turning pages that I was surprised when it ended. This is a well~crafted work by a master storyteller. She also ended this first book at the exact place and time ~ with not too much of a cliff~hanger that the reader would hate her and with enough anticipation for the second book. Brilliant!
Agatha Postelle
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommend this book to anyone who likes a light read with a bit of humor and mystery mixed in.
Helen Hollick
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has received a Discovering Diamonds Review:
'those not keen on unsettling 'adult' scenes, will perhaps think otherwise, but that would be their loss as the story and the potential that is set up by the book are otherwise excellent and quite carry you away. '
Helen Hollick
founder #DDRevs
Annette Percival
Can’t wait to read the second!!!

Great story, great characters! It was a wonderful book and I can’t wait to read the next one!! Love the strong female lead.
My Book Addiction and More MBA
MASK OF DUPLICITY by Julia Brannan is an exciting new Scottish Historical Romance set during the 1740's. Book 1 in this new and fantastic series of "The Jacobite Chronicles" and what a beginning.

"The first in the series about the fascinating lives of beautiful Beth Cunningham, her family and friends during the tempestuous days leading up to the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745, which attempted to overthrow the Hanoverian King George II and restore the Stuarts to the British throne."

Meet Beth Cunningha
Marie Fisk
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, Informative, Fun

A well written and also a well researched story of an era many outside of history buffs know little about. The characters were well developed and interesting. I love a good villain. They are so easy to hate. I recommend this series of books to my friends and also any who are history buffs.
Carole Rae
It’s been a while since I’ve done this format, so why not give it a go for this review?

The Good
- Even though this book centers on Beth trying to find a hubbie, this didn’t feel like your typical HR book. There was an actual plot. The courtship was legit and felt real. Sometimes one needs in a romance.

- I liked Beth. At first, she seemed like a perfect character waiting to happen, but as the story goes along she wasn’t perfect which made me happy.

- Sir Anthony is the best. He seemed like just
☆Eiko
Truly I wasn't expecting to like this book as much as I did! Seeing a lot of positive reviews got me into looking at it (plus it was free on Kindle, who knows how long that will last?) regardless, I was prepared to purchase this one simply because I love this type of book. We have the typical feisty, spirited and outspoken country-bred heroine who is forced to seek a favourable marriage when her eldest brother returns home. This evil brother will do anything to get his sister to marry well, and ...more
Cindy Bower
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

Couldn't put book down. Can't wait to read next book in this series. Keeps you connected to characters entire time.
Rachel
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I didn't even know what kind of book this was when I downloaded it. I thought the cover looked nice, and it was free. I tend to be skeptical of self published work, just because it's hard to sift through and find the good stuff, but I'm glad I picked this up. I almost put it down very early on, because of a very disturbing scene (view spoiler) and I'm still not convinced that the scene was at all necessary overall, but it was the only such scene ...more
Claire Morley
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. An excellent first effort by Julia Brannan. The book is well written and the characters grip you from an early stage. I was planning on reading a chapter a night but I found after the first three chapters that I just couldn't put it down! I look forward to reading the next instalment to find out how the beautiful Beth copes with finding out the true identity of her fiancé Sir Anthony and sincerely hope her brother gets his comeuppance!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 4 Feb 02, 2016 11:18AM

• The Devil's Temptress
  • Dance of Desire
  • Búscame en tus sueños (Búscame en tus sueños, #1)
  • จอมนางคู่บัลลังก์ 2
  • The Truelove Bride
  • My Wicked Enchantress
  • The Hostage of Glenorchy (Highland Ballad #1)
  • Lemonade
  • Crimson Night (Crimson #2)
  • Alice in the Country of Hearts: My Fanatic Rabbit, Vol. 01
  • Plaid to the Bone (Spirit of the Highlands, #0.5)
  • Cherished (Deveraux Trilogy, #3)
  • The Chalice and the Blade (Chalice Trilogy, #1)
  • Botticelli's Muse
  • Hidden (Northern Waste, #2)
  • Highland Deception (Highland Pride #1)
  • The Flesh and the Devil
  • Uncommon Vows
Julia has been a voracious reader since childhood, using books to escape the miseries of a turbulent adolescence. After leaving university with a degree in English Language and Literature, she spent her twenties trying to be a sensible and responsible person, even going so far as to work for the Civil Service. The book escape came in very useful there too.
And then she gave up trying to conform and

The Jacobite Chronicles (6 books)
  • The Mask Revealed (The Jacobite Chronicles #2)
  • The Gathering Storm (The Jacobite Chronicles #3)
  • The Storm Breaks (The Jacobite Chronicles #4)
  • Pursuit of Princes (The Jacobite Chronicles #5)
  • Tides of Fortune (Jacobite Chronicles Book 6)