Start by marking “Self Portrait in a Velvet Dress: The Fashion of Frida Kahlo” as Want to Read:
Self Portrait in a Velvet Dress: The Fashion of Frida Kahlo

Self Portrait in a Velvet Dress: The Fashion of Frida Kahlo

Frida Kahlo remains one of the most popular artists of our timesales of Frida books number into the hundreds ofthousandsand yet no volume has ever focused on one of the most memorable aspects of her persona and creativeoeuvre: her wardrobe. Now, for the first time, 95 original and beautifully staged photographs of Kahlo's newly restored clothing are paired with historic ...more
Published June 18th 2008 by Chronicle Books (first published June 10th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Self Portrait in a Velvet Dress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Self Portrait in a Velvet Dress

Start your review of Self Portrait in a Velvet Dress: The Fashion of Frida Kahlo
Knitography
Mar 22, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a beautiful book, full of gorgeous photographs of Frida's belongings; it would be of interest not only to fans of Frida Kahlo, but to people who are interested in textiles. It's certainly not a definitive work on the textiles of indigenous peoples of Mexico, but it gives some interesting information about those textiles within the context of Frida's wardrobe. It's interesting to look more closely at the interplay between Frida's work, beliefs, politics, and wardrobe.

I would have given
S.
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, read-in-2012
I admit I was never that into Frida Kahlo but she did have great taste in clothes. The photography in this book is rich and tactile, and the photographs of the clothes are often set beside an older photograph of Kahlo wearing the piece. If the body is an enormous, walking wound, she really knew how to bandage it.
diane
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: art, biography
Gorgeous pictures of Frida's wardrobe, as restored by some of the best in their field to do so.

If you enjoy detailed accounts of wardrobe choices, and accounts of fashion and style in other time periods, this book really is for you. The writing is more scholarly than anything else, which makes sense since the people contributing to the book are experts on Frida Kahlo.

That being said, I wasn't thrilled by the writing. However, it does give excellent context for the pictures presented. And the
Ana
Mar 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ana by: Marcus
I just got this book for my birthday and it's just AMAZING. Diego Rivera asked that Frida's dressing room/bathroom remain locked for 50 years after her death. This was honored and when it was opened several of her personal belongings including her dresses/skirts/shoes were found. A team of experts were called to restore several of the pieces to their original state. This book is just great and one of my favorite of all time!
Ann
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really exciting to see the clothing and jewelry that Mexican artist Frida Kahlo wore during her turbulent life. The clothing and jewelry helped form her character as an artist and vibrant woman. This gorgeous book celebrates the opening of Frida's closets that have been closed for over 60 years. It also inspires me to go back to the Blue House to see them!
Leah Allison
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely stunning book. Olmedo's analysis of Kahlo's clothing-its significance and its history-is fascinating. He leaves the reader with a different take and deeper understanding of this truly beautiful artist. I highly recommend this book to any Frida Kahlo fan.
Kara
Apr 28, 2009 added it
I'm 37. Too old for Free People (almost), too young for Garnet Hill. Maybe I'll go ethnic.
Natalie
really inspiring
Lisagarden
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
I was surprised by this book. I had no idea that her husband, Diego Rivera, had stipulated that Frida Kahlo's personal items and clothing not be opened and displayed until 60 years after her death. Clothing is so revealing, and especially for Frida. Her love of clothing and her obsessive attention to detail and her grooming are quite wonderful.
The photos reveal the true colors and details of much of the clothing that she wore in her self-portraits and in the many photos that were taken of her.
Vicki Luschek
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Need I say more? Beautiful book giving insight into an enigmatic woman and hints at indigenous dress of women from the Mexican Central American region. Photos of Frida Kahlo's fashions uncovered pristinely preserved in her bedroom after being locked away for years.
Cindy
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Large, color photos depict the sumptuous, native cultural styles in Frida Kahlo's wardrobe. You can really feel her love of the indigenous people in her choice of clothing. I would love to go and see these in her museum in Mexico.
58cherries
Oct 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
A beautiful book and one to buy if you admire the artist's clothes and sense of style. I enjoyed seeing photographs of the actual clothes she painted herself in or was photographed in. I'd love to own some of these clothes myself.
Oct 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
I have to admit that I read very little of the text. I was too mesmerized by the bright colors and beautiful photos.
Chelsea
Mar 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fashion
This book is well worth it's cost. Beautiful pictures, beautiful clothes, and so much information about the clothing and Frida Kahlo's personal style. This is one I'll keep and continue to refer to.
Tiffany Janelle