Start by marking “Mind and Nature” as Want to Read:
Mind and Nature

Mind and Nature

A re-issue of Gregory Bateson's classic work. It summarizes Bateson's thinking on the subject of the patterns that connect living beings to each other and to their environment.
Published January 31st 2002 by Hampton Press (NJ) (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Mind and Nature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mind and Nature

Sarah Multiverse
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sarah by: thesis advisor
A potentially transformative book if you are interested in learning how evolutionary processes shape the mind!

As one of the first cyberneticists, Bateson shows how the mind consists of a series of relationships, and goes on to point out that any instance of these same relationships in nature (such as in a plant or animal) may also be said to exhibit mind. Although at times his ideas may seem to be on the verge of religious or New Age thought, especially with his references to Shiva and the aesth
Rohan
May 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Worth comparing to Godel, Escher, Bach in substance. Bateson often veers from subject to subject, but he is a rigorous and clear writer, and an excellent expositor. The point of this book is not 'Mind and Nature,' but rather certain ways of thinking about Mind and Nature. Bateson is explicit about this book being epistemology, meta-science rather than science.

Bateson implicitly draws from several different thinkers and their ideas, the ones I picked up were Wiener's cybernetics, Russell's Princi
Ashen
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Bateson was a great thinker who emphasized that logic and quantity are inappropiate devices for describing organisms, and their interactions and internal organisations. Reading Mind and Nature during the 80s I felt affirmed in my intuition that it splits us inside if we separate Mind from Nature. He showed how patterns connect, how they are not static but dance in a rhythm of repetition. He showed how information spreads inside a system and controls growth and differentiation. This is as seminal ...more
Kim
Jan 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: metaphor
I liked Bateson's premise that the world is aesthetic, and his definition of aesthetic is "responsive to the pattern which connects."

Here's what I wrote in my blog about it...
...Bateson discusses the wider knowing which he described as "the glue holding together the starfishes and sea anemones and redwood forests and human communities." His point was that we humans notice the starfishes, but we don't notice the glue that holds the starfishes and the rest of the world together.

So why does it m
Emmanuel
Subject matter: how to think about thinking when thinking, or something along those lines; confusing, I know. There's so much ground covered in this book that I'm still making sense out of everything, howbeit I'm glad to finally be through with it (as in: glad to not have dropped it half-way)! This book was quite the challenge, which I think will account for why I enjoyed it as much as I did, there's a considerable amount of abstract stuff for pondering (I should've read the glossary at the end ...more
Andreas
Sep 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
I may very well have to read this again sometime soon. The scope of this book is astounding. It starts out as a primer on how to think, redefining epistemology along the way in an attempt to enable the reader to think in cybernetic circuits of calibration and feedback, form and process.

Bateson seeks to tease out "the pattern that connects", a pattern of patterns, the meta-pattern that connects all living things. The pattern that connects us. It's all a bit fuzzy, but it'll definitely make you t
Roberto Reis
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an essential reading for everyone interested in the formal study of epistemology. The work of a visionary.
shawn
Apr 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews
this book rests at the strange nexus of the writings of Merleau-Ponty and Douglas Hofstadter, and is presented to us within a framework of biology with an ultimate concern for the institution of education. just trying to parse these referents is difficult, and the book does well at keeping a handle on the far more difficult task of putting forward what can only be called a philosophy based on the necessary implications of putting all these things into a pile and looking at it from just the right ...more
Scott Holmes
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patterns that connect. One frequently hears phrases such as everything in the world is connected to everything else but rarely do we find much in the way of discussion. Gregory Bateson was the epitome of the multidisciplinarian. He could not be pigeonholed in any particular field of study but he could recognize the most significant aspects of each and demonstrate how they all connect together.

I must admit here that he is far and away beyond my own level of comprehension. I must continually rere
Kipriadi prawira
Bateson begins with a list of basic scientific presuppositions that "every schoolboy should know", n further epistemological foundations are laid in two later chapters, one on the importance of combining different perspectives, of having "multiple versions of the world", and the other on different types of relationship. This material is used as the basis for tackling three major topics: finding explicit criteria for the existence of "mind"; examining parallels between learning n evolution as sto ...more
Van
I had just read Wittgenstein's Tractatus before I read this, so I thought it intriguing, the appearance of a ladder, climbing levels of logical type... definitely a thought provoking read, for thinking about thinking that is. He is still relevant on the topic of stagnant educational institutions and epistemology too. Talk it over with a friend. As Bateson says: “[...] two descriptions are better than one.” (therein lies the difference...)
Karl Georg
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
A thought-provoking thinker, but alas a terrible writer. He tends to start out with some ambitious claim (e.g. having solved the mind/body problem), and when he would have to prove it, digresses into something else. Maddening. On the other hand, he is exploring how mind and (not in this book) consciousness might be explained as emerging from matter - which I am inclined to believe is what is actually happening myself, without of course being able to properly explain much further.
Rob
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, non-fiction
this is a very dense book on a very abstract set of concepts, but well worth reading if you're at all interested in evolutionary biology and the idea of what "mind" might be. some of bateson's creative flourishes (especially the final chapter) are a little weird, and explain why his work is also popular in decidedly less scientific arenas, but the core idea that evolution and mind can be considered as logical analogues and as stochastic processes is a good one.
Scott
Oct 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
One of the seminal thinkers of systems theory (once called cybernetics) compares the process of evolution to the process of learning. I listened to recordings of Bateson's talks given at Esalen around the time he was writing this. Francisco Varela picked up where Bateson left off.
Christine
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating way to view the criteria of mind to better understand processes, moires, and thought pattern. This was required reading in college in one of my very favorite classes created by a professor who won national awards for his curriculum.
Vironika Tugaleva
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There's nothing like it in the world. What a gentle, thoughtful, poignant, and careful disassembly of the world around us. And an equally careful reassembly. If you are willing to apply it, there are new worlds to be experienced on every page.
TK Keanini
Apr 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most influential books in my life.
Joe Raimondo
Feb 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Professor Bateson lays out a transformative dialogue for maeta-relfection.
Nancy
Oct 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Nancy by: saw it on a bookstore shelf
To me, this book is a primer on how to think. I read it when it first was published, and believe it really changed me.
Nick Urban
Nov 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A great scientist's introduction to epistemology.
Iris
Mar 07, 2009 is currently reading it
So I lent my mother Anathem. After reading it she gave me this book to read.
Jan Höglund
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book is built on the opinion that we are parts of a living world.[1] Bateson offers the phrase the pattern which connects as another possible title for the book.[2] He writes that we have been trained to think of patterns as something fixed. It is easier and lazier that way, but it is all nonsense. The right way to think about the pattern which connects is to think of it as primarily a dance of interacting parts.[3]

Logic and quantity turn out to be inappropriate for describing organisms, th
Mike
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Bateson is lovely, but this is not his best work. Although there are some gems here (e.g. the chapter Multiple Versions of the World has a structure that beautifully mirrors its subject matter, and the fact that it's possible to do this at all is arguably the thesis of the whole book), the ideas better expressed in Steps to an Ecology of Mind. Recommended for the Bateson completionist.
Stuart Macalpine
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Cited by cognitive coaching so I read it for that reason - Mildly incomprehensible - but with a huge amount of the concerns with complexity, path dependency, ecology, stochastic systems etc that you find in writers 30 years afterwards, so despite wilful obscurity - clearly he was on to something.
Jeremy Bensusan
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
A bit dated but the ideas are starting to surface again, more concisely, in complexity sciences.
Nathaniel
“Nobody is going to buy a book by a sardonic lemming.”
Philippe
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review to follow soon.
Maxime Ferland
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
i want to read angels fear so bad
Jan
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
As ever is Gregory Bateson clear in his expositions. In this book he focuses on mind, without mentioning the clear fact, that mind is a self-referencing process and therefor autonomous. He makes clear that there is no sensible distinction between "body" and "mind", just as there is no distinction between "body" and "brain", except a functional one: there has to be a place for "thinking", just as one has to have legs to move. To paraphrase Bennett and Hacker: motion is not in your legs, just as t ...more
Whoisabishag
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Shows Many Things "Every School Boy Should Know": The Precarious False Dichotomy Of Mind versus Nature Also Stated as Rigor Versus Creativity [ Goes Hand In Hand With Wandering Scholars ... : https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... ], How "Design Thinking" Can Be Identified By Aliens, IF They Exist, or Humans Inspecting Other Planets As We Are Doing For "Signs Of Life", many Other Gemstones To Make Humans Wise"!" [P.S. about Wisdom ... : https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... ]

• Autopoiesis and Cognition: The Realization of the Living
  • Laws Of Form
  • The Embodied Mind: Cognitive Science and Human Experience
  • Hidden Order: How Adaptation Builds Complexity
  • Mind in Life: Biology, Phenomenology, and the Sciences of Mind
  • At Home in the Universe: The Search for the Laws of Self-Organization and Complexity
  • Maps of the Mind
  • General System Theory: Foundations, Development, Applications
  • The Way of the Explorer: An Apollo Astronaut's Journey Through the Material and Mystical Worlds
  • Incomplete Nature: How Mind Emerged from Matter
  • The End of Certainty
  • Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, and the Economic World
  • The Pasteurization of France
  • Blackfoot Physics: A Journey into the Native American Worldview
  • Philosophy in the Flesh: The Embodied Mind and its Challenge to Western Thought
  • Ecopsychology: Restoring the Earth/Healing the Mind
  • Zen and the Brain
  • Psyche and Symbol: A Selection from the Writings of C.G. Jung
Gregory Bateson (9 May 1904 – 4 July 1980) was an English anthropologist, social scientist, linguist, visual anthropologist, semiotician and cyberneticist whose work intersected that of many other fields. He had a natural ability to recognize order and pattern in the universe. In the 1940s he helped extend systems theory/cybernetics to the social/behavioral sciences, and spent the last decade of h ...more
“Thirty years ago, we used to ask: Can a computer simulate all processes of logic? The answer was yes, but the question was surely wrong. We should have asked: Can logic simulate all sequences of cause and effect? And the answer would have been no.” 14 likes
“The rules of the universe that we think we know are buried deep in our processes of perception.” 12 likes