Start by marking “The House in the Night” as Want to Read:
The House in the Night

The House in the Night

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  7,371 ratings  ·  1,227 reviews

Winner of the 2009 Caldecott Medal! A spare, patterned text and glowing pictures explore the origins of light that make a house a home in this bedtime book for young children. Naming nighttime things that are both comforting and intriguing to preschoolers - a key, a bed, the moon - this timeless book illuminates a reassuring order to the universe.

Published May 5th 2008 by HMH Books for Young Readers

·  7,371 ratings  ·  1,227 reviews

karen
Jul 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mark-harmon
big time yawn. this is what i am talking about - this book is seventeen dollars. that is a lot of money for a book with 103 words and mediocre illustrations. i am very glad i can borrow these from work and not have to shell out for them for school because i am no millionaire. the color scheme of the book is nice - i would love to have a dress in these colors, but as a book, i am unmoved.
Calista
The beautiful illustrations in this book are scratchboard and watercolor black and white and orange. It is a beginner book with one phrase that moves the story along out and then back. It is based off of an old nursery rhyme.

This was very good at creating a mood: magical wonder of a child. It talks about light and being safely snug in our bed. I do love how the orange makes certain things like stars or lights pop out of the drawing.

The kids thought this book was good. My niece found the story w
Laima
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing

This is a Caldecott Medal winning children's book. Basically, it is a bedtime story for young children filled with black and white pictures with a sprinkling of golden coloured objects. It was designed to comfort and lull a child to sleep with pictures of familiar and calming nighttime things. A book, a bed, a light, a bird, the moon, a song - young children know all these familiar objects.

I have read countless storybooks to young children, including my own sons, and what I always find is that c
Greg
Jul 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book has a stoner logic behind it that is kind of annoying. "like what if the bed wasn't being lit up by the light, but" inhale, hold in smoke, "but the bed was really inside the light?" exhale. And go on with a bunch more of these oh so poetic platitudes a freshman in college with a bong might spout out. Plus add some trippy pictures that have a schizophrenic feel to them, and you have a comforting story for kids too afraid to have the lights turned off on them. Or something like that. If ...more
Kathryn
Mar 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An enchanting story, full of beautiful simplicity and the type of circular storytelling that I loved as a child. The Caldecott-winning, scratchboard art illustrations are what really won me over, though. They are exquisite, intricate, unique and breathtaking! Amazing how such "dark" illustrations can radiate warmth and light--you'll feel the bright yellows glow right into your heart!
Manybooks
As an adult (and as someone who has always much appreciated scratchboard type illustrations), I love love love Beth Krommes' detailed and brilliantly exquisite black and white images. They absolutely and brilliantly make Susan Marie Swanson's The House in the Night into a visual masterpiece, a true feast for the eyes (and I thus also and absolutely cheer that The House in the Night won the 2009 Caldecott Medal).

And these illustration are truly and in every way enchanting, intriguing, with the i
GoldGato

Sun in the moon, moon in the dark

It wasn't until I did some volunteer work in a local library that I discovered how popular the board books are for children. Perhaps because they are difficult to destroy, the section of the library with these special books are always covered with eager kids, pulling their parents (or nannies) to the titles they covet.

Dark in the song, song in the bird

So, I gave it a shot and got the one that looked different than the others, with a black-and-white etching-ish ou
Lisa Vegan
Jan 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all young kids, especially those who are scared of the dark
At first I wasn’t sure I appreciated the drawings, all in black & white & yellow and in an unusual style, but I ended up loving this book: both the patterned text and the amazing pictures, my favorite picture probably being the dog curled up in its bed with its stuffed teddy bear. On every page the pictures contain many lovely little touches.
Betsy
May 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes, just sometimes, you want to read a beautiful picture book. Not a pretty picture book or a mildly lovely one or a picture book that will please you the first ten times you read it to a child and then hardly anymore after that. No, I'm talking about a jaw-dropping, kick-you-in-the-pants, douse your cigar hussy of a beautiful picture book. The kind that works against your book-loving instincts, tempting you to rip out the pages and frame them on your wall. That kind of book. The first ti ...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
This gorgeous Caldecott winner deserved the medal for the scratchboard illustrations in black, white, and yellow. Beautiful in their simplicity, they take the reader on a nighttime fantasy flight on the back of a bird, a bird from the book on the bed, in the house unlocked by the key, under the light of the moon.
It's the sort of book you want to look at again and again. Just lovely!
Miriam
Mar 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture

This seems like it would be perfect for lulling small children to sleep.
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
This one has a classic look and a classic feel -- from its scratch board, 3-colored (black, white, yellow) illustrations to its minimalistic and poetic text -- a great addition to bedtime lullaby stories. This one doesn't make me say, "Who needs another bedtime story? Don't we have ENOUGH?" Obviously, we don't since talented writers and artists like Swanson and Krommes still have new things to offer for new generations of children and their parents. The pictures are worthy of looking closely ove ...more
Jess
I'm a sucker for this style of illustrations - it feels cozy and old-timey and perfect for a bedtime story, and it works well with the patterned structure of the story. I like the use of limited colors, so that the yellowy-orange really glows in the pictures and the text.
Benjamin Uminsky
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-my-kids
This is another regular night time read for my children. The illustrations are lovely. There is a certain kind of child like numinousness that glows in these pages (literally).
Jessica
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Caldecott Medal Winner from 2009, The House in the Night; the illustrations not only support the limited text but the pictures are so detailed you can spot other areas of interest. For example, in the child's room a storybook is waiting for her on the bed, but depicted in the photo the child is going through her dresser. You can only imagine, is she getting out pajamas? letting her kittens out of the dresser? etc. Overall allowing for readers to fill in and find out from illustrated clues wh ...more
Alison
Sep 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 520picturebook
"The House in the Night" immediately reminded me of the book "Goodnight Moon". This Caldecott award winner is full of black and white illustrations that include pops of yellow. It begins with a girl having a key to the house, and "In the house burns a light. In that light rests a bed. On that bed waits a book." This story walks through a girl discovery a bird full of song and life inside of a book in her house that is lit up in the night. This is a quick, easy read with not much detail involved ...more
Pardis Parto
کودکی با دریافت کلید از پدرش همراه خانواده وارد خانه می شود. پیش ازخواب کتاب می خواند.

در کتاب در خیال با پرنده پرواز می کند، درباره تاریکی آسمان پر از ستاره آواز می خواند و در صورت ماه، خورشید (منبع روشنایی) را می بیند.
در بازگشت از دنیای خیال و کتاب، خانه و زندگی را پر از روشنایی می بیند، به آرامش می رسد و راحت می خوابد.

اصلی ترین درونمایه این داستان، نشان دادن اهمیت کتاب در ساختن دنیای ذهنی کودک است. می توان غلبه بر ترس از تاریکی به کمک کتاب خواندن را هم یک پیام آن دانست. این داستان بدون آموزش م
Jenny
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
A simple text is paired with primarily black and white illustrations with yellow accents. I felt that the black and white with yellow accents brought a lot of depth and even emotion to the illustrations. I loved the illustration of the flowers...and even more the illustration of the stars glowing. Very simple, but quite beautiful.

Reread 8/2017: I love the wonderful feeling of peace and HOME that enveloped me as I reread this book. (That probably especially struck me as I have traveled A LOT this
Beth
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
As I was reading I couldn't help but think how much the illustrations reminded me of Van Gogh's Starry Night, and wouldn't you know it... There was a place in the story where the bedroom in the house had Starry Night hanging on one of its walls.
Kayla Edwards
Dec 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
There are some beautiful illustrations in this one. It is comforting and calming as a bedtime story but there is just nothing really special going on. Nothing wrong with it, it's a pleasant read, it just wasn't amazing for me.
Darcy
Apr 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: baby-h-books
If this book and I had met under better circumstances, maybe four stars. But I am getting a tooth and I DO NOT like it. So I yelled pretty much the whole time. Stunning illustrations, though. Would like to revisit once my baby Tylenol kicks in. -M
The Library Lady
Feb 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
If I want to read Wanda Gag, I will read Wanda Gag.

The Caldecott gang giving this one the Caldecott ticks me off the same way if does when any children's librarian old enough to know better praises the "Eragon" series.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A visually stunning book in which your eye follows the yellow lights from page to page, from inside a room to out in space and back again, from microcosm to macrocosm. A beautiful introduction to light. Highly recommended and very deserving of this year's Caldecott Medal.
Lobstergirl
Jul 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-books
A beautifully poetic, very simple text married perfectly to black, white, and yellow scratchboard and watercolor illustrations. This has all the makings of a classic.
Nicole
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love the illustration and very sweet simple rhyme about love and home
John
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I like this book because it goes zoom zoom zoom through everything in the whole wide house. It goes: key, the house, the bird in the book, pop!
Natalie Payton
Summary/Critique:
The House in the Night written by Susan Marie Swanson and illustrated by Beth Krommes is a children’s picture book about the comforting happenings right before bed in the night. This book is geared towards early readers because there are very few words and elaborate pictures. Even though the story is simple, it is still very beautifully written and displayed. It is about a house in the night with a book on a bed that talks about the starry night and moon. The story ends with the
Jessica Cain
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Summary and Critique:
The words in this story flowed together like a poem, it started at the beginning and moved forward to each different scene and then half way through the book it started from the end and went backwards. Each picture was black and white except the item each page talked about was in an orange color. That helped tell the story so you could clearly see which part of the story was being told. This was a story made for reading before bed because it’s setting is all throughout the n
Rebecca
Feb 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Preschool and up
Shelves: picture-books
2009 Caldecott winner for illustration. I must admit...with some shame...that I didn't read it until it won, and then my expectations were so high that I was a little underwhelmed. After reading the many glowing professional reviews, I'm applying my most open mind. I did like the quiet simplicity of the text, and the "classic" feel of the whole thing: the cumulative rhyme hearkens back to pieces like "The House That Jack Built"; the scratchboard illustrations are quite folksy (black and white wi ...more
Alyse Erickson
Sep 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: classroom-books
The House in the Night by Susan Marie Swanson and illustrated by Beth Krommes is a nursery rhyme book that ties each element explained in the book to the other one. The story begins with a child having a key to the house, and going into the house only to find a different element, and ending with the moon that shines bright on the house. Therefore, the house in the dark is given light. This book is mainly illustrations that helps the reader to understand where and why each element is related to a ...more
Play Book Tag: The House in the Night / Susan Marie Swanson - 3*** 1 12 Sep 12, 2017 09:39AM
Week 3 2 3 Sep 25, 2012 05:51AM