Start by marking “Eloise en Paris” as Want to Read:
Eloise en Paris

Eloise en Paris (Eloise)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  1,605 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
America's favorite enfant terrible turns the City of Lights upside down in this second book in the Eloise series, first published to great acclaim in 1957 -- available again in Spanish after being out of print for 35 years!
Published January 22nd 2002 by Plaza y Janes (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Eloise en Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eloise en Paris

Anna
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not one to read to a class as it's verrry long, but I love Eloise and I love Paris. One-on-one with an interested youngster, this makes for a very charming and hilarious story.
Tracy
May 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebook, kids-lit
Punctuation is an adult thing. This is evident in the breathless, tumbling dice style of storytelling that belongs to children. I remember proudly finishing my first short story ever in the first grade: it had plot, dialogue and a twist! (Yes, I was quite the Margot Tenenbaum--minus the eyeliner and creepy brotherly love.) I even folded the pages and stapled it to mimic grownupped-ness. My teacher ruthlessly crushed my aspirations by pointing out that it was just one loooooooooong run on sentenc ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
What do I love most about picture books? Is it the simple text that tells so much in so few words? Or is it the brilliant pictures, an art gallery of drawings and paintings in every book?

Eloise in Paris is a magnifiqué picture book, with the simple text plus brilliant pictures plus the charming Eloise and, of course, Paris. Eloise visits Paris and shares her brilliant insights into French culture, circa 1957. Experience Paris through the eyes of a clever and mischievous eight-year-old.
Manik Sukoco
I am so charmed by the drawings of Hillary Knight of our little heroine, Eloise sashaying her way around Paris. Your very first glimpse of the six year old planning her trip, is on the end pages of the book. There you will find Eloise sprawled out on the floor on top of her map of Paris. And the birds eye view of the room is captivating and adds to the excitement. It's so fun seeing Eloise in a typical neighborhood Paris hotel, not like the grand digs of her home in New York City on the top floo ...more
Nikoya
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 4-6 years old
I must confessed that I was introduced to Eloise from the fantastic cartoon series on Stars. So, I went to the library and picked up this book hoping that it would be just as fun; and I was not disappointed. My daughter and I just finished reading this book, which took a few nights to do, and I LOVED IT. The artwork is very fun and unique; and I like the simple splashes of color that the artist used. Furthermore, the writing is so much fun to read that I definitely got into the French Accents wh ...more
Anne
Jun 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ughhh, whoever thought Eloise without Kay Thompson would work? Yes I love Knight's illustrations -- without those, I'd give this zero stars.

Whoever writes these does this very bad parody of the original Eloise. They are way too long, far too ridiculous, and just not Eloisey.

Well, I don't like the Christmas one, either, which I think Thompson did write. The Christmas one rhymes, good god. I guess these sequels are a good argument to quit while you're ahead.

Oh, and goodreads lists Thompson as t
Tiffany
Until today, I was deprived of Eloise, but now I see what I have been missing. Eloise is a precocious, well-traveled 6-year-old who reminds me SO much of my oldest daughter because she is into everything, loves big words, and loves to act MUCH older and wiser. And, oh my Lord, (to borrow a phrase from Eloise), I do mean everything. Has to been seen to be believed. I have a feeling there is a lot of Eloise's little personality that is soon to be played out at my house. A book to enjoy, and be car ...more
Rebecca
Eloise is fun in a breathless, irrepressible way, a definite ancestor of Junie B. Jones. This is a fun little-rich-girl's look at Paris, but I wish it didn't say "froid is right; chaud is left." Just like with Junie B, incorrect grammar makes me cringe!
Nov 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eloise is still a pill in this book, but I loved it because I want to go to Paris, and I LOVE how she'll throw in French words with English. It was actually much cuter than the original book, and I think this one will definitely get passed along to the niece!
Silvia
Adorable and way better that a Lonely Planet guide.
Shiloah
That was a beast to read. It was long and rambly and no punctuation. Cute, but not.
Gina

does in Paris:

everything.

Catherine Flusche
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm listening to the audio book and there is so much French or Bernadette Peters is speaking so fast that I couldn't understand parts.

I highly doubt a child would like so many foreign words unless they're learning that language. A parent would probably stumble over the French because French in writing is full of silent letters. Spanish is so much easier for a non speaker to read and at least get the sounds close enough. We just finished putting together a bunch of teaching phonics manuals at wor
Jacqueline
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently read the French version of this picture book. Absolutely delightful! Not an easy read for an intermediate French student like myself, but with the help of the photos and a dictionary on occasion, the gist of the rollicking, humorous story spill over even without 100% comprehension of every phrase.
Heidi
May 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
This book is terrible. The sloppy writing is as bad as the sloppy pictures. Incomplete sentences and random phrases are thrown about the pages. The little girl takes the name of God in vain at least three times ("Oh my Lord") - maybe more but I stopped flipping through the book in disgust.
Lani
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
lovely
Angtburg
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: consumed_eyes
Not so keen on all the Eloise story lines but I am in awe of the illustrations. Rating more for the images than the character's quirks.
Alex
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-reads
Summary: The story starts with Eloise getting a cablegram from her mother telling her they are going to Paris. She proceeds to tell everyone, and prepares for the trip. Eloise and Nanny get on the plane where Eloise participates in some mischief. They arrive in Paris check into the hotel then go through the city singing, doing Parisian things and seeing sights. Eloise explains the activities she does in detail all around Paris. After doing just about everything, she returns home to the plaza whe ...more
Lesley Truffle
At seven I discovered six-year-old Eloise, parent-free, running amuck in the Plaza NY and Paris with Nanny, a pug and a turtle. I didn’t find it strange that Eloise exercised with champagne bottles, as my sister and I had hidden a bottle of Sweet Marsala under my bed. It was delectable topped with cream. When ‘you cawn’t get a good cup of tea’, Eloise simply had to devour a peach languishing in champagne. I was smitten.

The fact that Eloise has been abandoned to the full-time care of a nanny held
Dolly
Jan 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've read several books featuring the rascally Eloise. Our girls like them and I was excited to read about her visit to Paris. I love France, and have been to Paris, so it was a little bit of nostalgia to me (the tourist sites, not the lavish lifestyle.)

We enjoy reading the books about her, even though I'm so tempted to say that she is just a spoiled, neglected-by-her-parents, rich brat. I didn't say that aloud, did I? I suppose this is one way to describe how "the other half live" (or is it m
Judy
Here's a tour of Paris that was definitely not planned with a 6-year-old in mind, but Eloise takes matters into her own hands and makes the best of each experience.

In Eloise's own words, Oh my Lord c'est difficile when you are a child
(punctuation intentionally omitted)

The story begins with a cablegram from France from Eloise's mother. Eloise and her Nanny are to depart immediately. I guess that was reason enough for the trip. Eloise's mother did appear.

This is probably best appreciated by people
Aug 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eloise is totally spoiled. This book may have been the inspiration for the Fancy Nancy books...only Fancy Nancy doesn't get to live in a hotel in New York (calling Room Service all the time)and flit off to Paris with her Nanny for touring and shopping sprees. Also, it was so LONG! Now, having said all of that...this was a very cute book and there is a reason that it is a classic. It has cute dialogue. It also is peppered with french words (which I kinda wish had pronunciations) but liked. Genevi ...more
Lila Johnson
I read this book because Kay Thompson, a famous stage and radio performer that appeared in the movie, Funny Face, had written it. It is said that she had written the Eloise series for adults and not children and was known to move it from the children's book shelves to the adult.
The writing style is different, at times choppy but always in motion. If nothing else, the words used in the story is helping me as I study speaking French. It was fun to reminisce over the areas noted in the book that I
Judy
Aug 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids and adults both
The second Eloise book was the #6 bestseller in 1957. I found it even more charming and funny than the first, perhaps because I know Paris better than Manhattan.

It is clear that Nanny had more fun in Paris and though Mother sends cables, we still do not meet her. You find out what it is like to fly in an airplane in 1957 with 37 pieces of luggage! Imagine that in today's world.

This was my first foray into the 1957 reading list and gave me hope that the year might not be all that boring.
Dianna
Nov 13, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure I'm going to read any more Eloise. I liked Eloise and Eloise Takes A Bawth well enough although I found her quite annoying but this book just didn't charm me enough to get me past the annoyingness of the book—between Eloise and the writing style. I think I like her better in the Plaza.
Tasneem  Zafer
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The cute, Hilariously clumsy Eloise who lives in new York gets a letter from her mother saying she has to go to Paris France France with her nanny. She does absolutely everything and speaks to almost everybody she sees in a very polite way in English and French..
What a craaazy life she has.

Really enjoyed both the text and the drawings even though the book is a bit long and takes time to finish it up.
Kathryn
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I can't believe I've gone this many years without reading an Eloise book! I was laughing so hard I had tears streaming down my face. While it's totally ridiculous to think that one little girl could cause so much trouble, I couldn't help but love this troublemaker of international proportion. Kay Thompson manages to capture what it would be like if our every childish whim were granted. Delightful.
Kavfrou
Aug 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the illustrations seems to pop out from the book... very lively and imaginative.

eloise really living it in paris!... and the effect is rawther extraordinaire!

the girl who lives in the plaza, new york goes to paris in this dazzling and interesting book. with her skinny leg, round belly, black and white with pink ribbon on her hair.. she set out her journey to paris with style. went to champs-elysees, eiffel, opera, louvre, and dressed by dior.....tres chic!
Annie
Jun 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Similar to the other Eloise Books, this one was equally Unreadable. I cannot believe anyone would allow their children to read this blatant nonsense. The main character is a spoiled rotten little brat and anyone who believes this is a positive message or role model to show as an example for their children is a complete fool. Bad messages! Bad Example for any child! This joke of a show and its ridiculous books are banned from my household.
Emily Huffman
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found Eloise to be a rawther precocious brat. But something about the book! This was my first experience with Eloise, and I had no idea what I was getting into. No punctuation, no grammar to speak of, invented words and creative spelling all over the place...not to mention the incredible illustrations!
  • Madeline and the Gypsies
  • Let's Be Enemies
  • Picasso and the Girl with a Ponytail
  • Ladybug Girl at the Beach
  • When Lightning Comes in a Jar
  • Fancy Nancy: Explorer Extraordinaire!
  • Seen Art?
  • The Best-Loved Doll
Kay Thompson (1909–1998) was an American author, composer, musician, actress and singer. She is best remembered as the creator of the Eloise children's books.
More about Kay Thompson...

Eloise (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Eloise