Start by marking “Eloise at Christmastime” as Want to Read:
Eloise at Christmastime

Eloise at Christmastime (Eloise)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  1,241 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Here she is at Christmastime
Complete with tinsel and holly
Singing fa la la la lolly
And over the roar of the jingle bells
You can hear hear hear her say
It's absolutely Christmas
But I don't mind a bit
I give everyone a present
For that's the thing of it
So when it's everly Christmastime
And you're under your Christmas trees
Simply tinkle a bell and have a trinkle
An
Published October 1st 1999 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Eloise at Christmastime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eloise at Christmastime

Zoë
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read during my holiday 24-hour readathon, #readathonbyzoe! Watch the vlog here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcLPp...
Lizzy Seitz
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5.0 out of 5 stars!

Eloïse giving everyone presents but then having a page talking about if she didn’t get anything it would be ok made me so sad even though I knew she’d get presents! I just love Eloise so much!!
Rosemary Sullivan
In all of the Eloise books, the precocious 6-year-old's mother is not with her young daughter. Eloise is left in the care of Nanny. Besides Nanny, her companions are mostly her beloved pets. It seems especially sad that this is true at Christmastime.

But I think this lies at the heart of who this spunky little girl is...she is not a naughty child, she is a parent-less one, and as such is free-spirited. Her imagination is not encumbered by a mother or father with conventional rules of good behavio
Kaethe
My fandom is not great enough to bestir me to care much one way or the other.
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"Sometimes there is so much to do that I get sort of a headache around the sides and partially under it."

I adore Eloise, especially at christmastime!
Bethany
Dec 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I thought the rhyming was a bit awkward, but overall it was rawther charming.
Joyce
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE the Eloise books. It was a real pleasure to read it to my grandson. He was so excited to tell me that he'd ridden in a carriage in Central Park, just like Eloise!
Gabi Jones
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
The Eloise series is fun for all young girls and adding a Christmas edition gives little girls everywhere to enjoy these sweet stories at anytime throughout the year. I believe it is also important to have nontraditional Christmas stories as not all families have the same beliefs about Christmas. This book along with the other Eloise books introduces the French language in a way that makes it fun for kids and they don't even realize they're learning a new language. This story also teaches studen ...more
Jessie
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE the movie Eloise at Christmastime, so I was naturally very excited to read the book. They're not at all the same, but the spirit holds true. I adore Eloise's spunk, honesty, and vibrancy, and reading about her is such a joy!
Olivia
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is one of my favourite childhood Christmas movies, so when I found there was a picture book I had to have it in my hands immediately! It arrived after Christmas but that's okay, I'll just read it twice this year, what a shame.
Mrs.soule
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: holiday, childrens
My son LOVES the Eloise books, including this one, but I felt it lacked the charm of the original three.
Payton
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing quick read!
Angtburg
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: consumed_eyes
Not so keen on all the Eloise story lines but I am in awe of the illustrations. Rating more for the images than the character's quirks.
Katie Solt
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
* MULTIPLE *
Judy
Mar 20, 2011 rated it did not like it

I have been putting off posting this review since it is so not Christmastime. But today we are having what is probably the last winter storm of the rainy season in southern California so we will look at my opinion of this holiday book.

Ah, the American way. Ah, the book business. For the third year in a row, Kay Thompson made the top ten bestseller list with an Eloise book, coming in at #6 in 1958. Her first two Eloise books, Eloise and Eloise in Paris, made me use timeworn but truthful adjecti
Kelsie Williams
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: libs-642
While I was doing my picture soak, I came across this book and decided to pick it up because I remember seeing a show on TV around Christmas time with a little girl name Eloise. I figured it would be interesting to see if the book was similar to the show, thinking it could be a good book to share with students around the holiday. I was not too crazy about the book. I think that there is a little much going on, and that it is better viewed as a film. I did like the illustrations though and the fa ...more
Tam
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christmas
I don't know anything about Eloise but my child had a hard time following the story in this book and I had a hard time reading it. It rhymed in some parts but not others and it was really long.

Excerpt from book:
Once there was this little child
You know her I believe
Here's who she is me ELOISE
And it is Christmas Eve

But inside the Plaza
we're cozy and warm
in our rooms
on the tippy top floor

We're Skipperdee who is my turtle
and Weenie w
Chelsea
Aug 27, 2013 rated it liked it
"Eloise at Christmastime" is my absolute favorite holiday movie and I was so excited to pick up the book and read it. The message about a happy little girl who is joyful at Christmastime even when her mother is not present, is a great message for all little children to hear. My only complaint about the book is the language. It was hard to follow at first, but after thinking about Eloise in the movie, I could follow that this was a little girl who was "all over the place" and it was a little easi ...more
Kavfrou
Aug 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
i don't know why, but in this eloise book, i found myself frowning and a bit in tears.

i guess, it's because it's christmas time and absolutely have to be spent with your mum. don't you think? and here is eloise in The Plaza, of course she is with her 'family' of nanny who is her absolutely darling best friend in the whole wide world, sire weenie, skipperdee the turtle, emily the pigeon and of course the whole crew of The Plaza...and of course spending christmas in The Plaza is rawther fabulously
Pam
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ok, so things I liked about this book. 1) L took it out of the library herself on her field trip 2) She picked it out and anticipated reading it for over a week, and was very excited about it 3) L loved the book 4) It was originally published in 1941 - the same year my dad was born! 4) Some of the pictures were quite lovely.

Things I didn't like 1) The writing seemed like a lot of nonsense sentences and there wasn't really a story at all 2) Some of the art wasn't that great - and it varied a lot
Kristine Hansen
Eloise does everything at top speed and this book captures that frantic busyness of getting ready for Christmas. On the other hand, those reviewers who said she comes off as an annoying out of control child are right too. So here we have something charming that leaves you frustrated and overwhelmed, much like opening the door to a small child and then inviting them in for the holiday.

If that was the author's intent, it was captured very well.

I personally don't get the popularity of the books, bu
Shaina Cade
It's rawther a fun tradition, don't you thinkle to reread this classic each year, falala? Ahem, rawther sorry, coughhack YES this is a lovely, very Xmas Xmas Xmas story, starring a floppy, imaginative, loud, obnoxious, very real six-year-old girl, who is sweet and blessed with money and connections. I remember reading this as a kid and wishing most to have a mostly companion like Eloise's Nanny, and now, as an adult, I'd still like that, but I wouldn't say no to a bottle of Guiness Stout to stay ...more
Molly
Nov 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
It is Christmastime at the Plaza and Eloise loves Christmas.

I thought this was a little better than the first Eloise book. She has the same antics, but seems less mean spirited than in the first. In fact, she gives Christmas gifts to many of the Plaza workers. I did find the text slightly hard to follow and it was a bit long with very little plot. However, the illustrations are great. Fans of the first will not be disappointed.
Jessica
Aug 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
This is my all time favorit children's book / Christmas book.
I owned it as a child (it dissapeared at some point) and my mom gave me a first edition copy as an adult. A treasure. Witty and charming. Reading Eloise at Christmastime and it's perfect illustrations always bring me a cozy feeling ; just as percocious Eloise must feel- all snug and excited inside 'her' hotel room at the tip top of the Plaza...all her plans accomplished and her list checked off and completed- just before Christmas!
Kari
Dec 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kid-s-books
I was disappointed in this book. I thought I liked Eloise, for some reason, but I guess I don't. There are so many better kids books out there, I was disappointed, but Audrey and Jaron seemed to like it. Why does she live with her nanny in a hotel, to begin with? It seems from the book that what she really needs is Supernanny. I'll take Junie any day.
Teri
I liked the story. Didn't love it the first time around. Maybe it will improve as I read it more. My 3 yr old was not engaged the entire time. She lost interest. Hope she will grow into it as well. On a brighter note, the movie is darling. Hello, Julie Andrews and Christine Baranski.;)

This is my first Eloise book. Will try the first one.
Dolly
Feb 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Another fairly typical Eloise book. It's out of season right now, but our girls really loved it anyway. This one was pretty nonsensical, but still has amazing, busy illustrations as do all the other Eloise books.
Tracy
May 31, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-lit, picturebook
It's a bit of a sellout to cash in on Christmas fever. But, it possesses enough of Eloise's charm to not toss it away. I'm grateful for the "trinkles," but I could have used more bratty havoc. Plus, I think Thompson was hampered by the lyric form. Knight's illustrations were spot on as usual.
  • Madeline's Christmas
  • The King Who Rained
  • Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas
  • The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse
  • Socks for Supper
Kay Thompson (1909–1998) was an American author, composer, musician, actress and singer. She is best remembered as the creator of the Eloise children's books.
More about Kay Thompson

Eloise (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Eloise

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • All That's Left of Me
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Labyrinths (New Directions Paperbook)
    $15.95 $2.99
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Dragon's Teeth (The Lanny Budd Novels)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)