Start by marking “Thinking Body, Dancing Mind: Taosports for Extraordinary Performance in Athletics, Business, and Life” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  202 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Written by a sports psychologist and a renowned T'ai Chi master, here is a guide to enriching all of life's pursuits through the practice of its simple mental tools and wisdom. Using stories of success from athletes and businesspeople, the authors present techniques and exercises to promote relaxation and enhance performance.
Published May 1st 1994 by Bantam (first published August 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Thinking Body, Dancing Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thinking Body, Dancing Mind

David Shafer
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is an excellent primer for mental training for athletes. Like any book on this subject, it requires athletes to put into practice some simple lessons. It is the practice that is the important part, not the reading about the practice. I think that it is especially useful for adult athletes who will put the ideas into application in their lives. However, if younger [High School age] athletes could read this and have a structured environment to work on the methods it would serve them well ...more
Teresa
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
I agree with the general ideas in this book; however, I found the book poorly written.

The guidelines tend to childishly rattle on (and give mundane examples that insult the reader's intelligence) and each guideline strongly resembles numerous others found throughout the book.

The affirmations try to be memorable and catchy, but often only sound foolish.

Many of the visualization walk-throughs are ridiculous (personify fear, thank him for being there for you, shake hands with him, hug fear ... umm,
Carrie Cheadle
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sport-psych
This is a fantastic book. I have recommended it to many of the athletes I've worked with. I was actually in touch with one of the authors of this book recently (Jerry Lynch) and now I'm really excited to read his book The Way of the Champion. He has a great message and is doing some great work with athletes. This book is nice because it's broken down into specific topics so you can read it straight through or go straight to a specific section on anything from Positive Thinking or Relaxation to P ...more
Shayla
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The above description doesn't touch on how awesome this book is. It is a book which combines western sport psychology concepts with eastern philosophy, particularly Taoism. I wish I had had this information when I was a high-level athlete. I have since found it and have required it as a text for my courses. It is a great book for helping an athlete or business go from good to great. It is a wholistic way of looking at life in general which I find refreshing.
Mark Terry
Jun 26, 2010 rated it liked it
An interesting combination of sports psychology and Taoism, which mix surprisingly easily. It is much better if you already been exposed to eastern philosophy. I enjoyed the perspective of applying balance and humility to competitive sports. The emphasis on visualizations and affirmations for each minor point got old quickly, but that was mostly due to the way I absorbed it.
Michael Cozzi
Not only did this book help me immensely with my personal sporting goals , but it also gave me a positive mindset in my battle with cancer. I also used some of the philosophy in coaching youth ice hockey quite a few years ago, with pleasing results. A must reado
Curtis
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
I spoke to Steve B. about how you can apply meditation to sports. I even rehearsed the fatigue of some workouts. When I take a two week vacation from resistance training though, I can start to use all the more weight when I return to the gym.
Thomo
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A very good book for anybody willing and open to learn and grow. especially good for competitive athletics. The visualizations and exercises in this book are adaptable to all the challenges that life provides so long as one is willing to look at themselves truthfully. :)
Shelley
Aug 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Years ago, I read this for a dance class. Mental gymnastics is the term that comes to mind. It has its uses, I will say! Sorry, I need to end this review so I can go listen to some Phillip Glass and just be................ :)
John
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Control the Mind and you can control anything. Thinking Body, Dancing Mind does a great job covering enthusastic techniques. Both authors highlight the benefits of staying positive and using visualization to overcome obstacles in both business and sports. Great Read.
Anthony
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love the idea of the "Beginner's Mind" from this book. In essence, we must be always willing to learn new things and throw out old information. We must be excited and willing to take risks, and that is how we grow.
Kara Wily
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it

Motivational. Simple, but I think that is some of the point. Made me want to read the I Ching.
Deborah
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
A little self-helpy, but overall very readable with excellent tips on healthy mindset for sports and life in general.
Rachel
Mar 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in eastern philosphy to help better their physicality and/or career
Recommended to Rachel by: my professor Kathy
I read this book as a part of a dance class in college, but the book left such an impact on me, I have always kept it on my bookshelf and recommended it to others. Hope you read it and like it too.
Joan Romero
Feb 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
I got this book a text book for a dance class I took (over a decade ago) and I still refer to it for exercises in focus, over coming obstacles, and moving forward.
Ann Ford
Nov 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Eastern philosophies meets western sports. Great!
Bob
Jan 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
What we think... matters.
Mark
OK. I very clearly gave up on this self-help book a while ago. Moving to On pause shelf 20 March 2015.
Alan
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
It tells you to relax.
John
Dec 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Used this for my self and as a coach and teacher....principles are quite simple and basic and universal...duh!
Tbourdel
Jun 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Very motivational for athletes- teaching visualizations and the power of positive thinking.
Micah
Mar 13, 2013
Jojo
Jun 05, 2015
Ryan
rated it did not like it
Apr 13, 2008
Kevin Stuart
Dec 04, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Small Graces: The Quiet Gifts of Everyday Life
  • The Message of a Master: Classic Tale of Wealth, Wisdon, and the Secret of Success
  • Take Your Time: The Wisdom of Slowing Down
  • The Brand You 50 (Reinventing Work): Fifty Ways to Transform Yourself from an "Employee" into a Brand That Shouts Distinction, Commitment, and Passion!
  • University of Success
  • The Magic of Conflict: Turning a Life of Work into a Work of Art
  • Just Like You?
  • The Tao of Abundance: Eight Ancient Principles for Living Abundantly in the 21st Century
  • Solo Training
  • Driven Out: The Forgotten War Against Chinese Americans
  • We Can Work It Out: Resolving Conflicts Peacefully and Powerfully
  • The Spirit of Aikido
  • As You Think
  • Almost Anorexic: Is My (or My Loved One's) Relationship with Food a Problem?
Chungliang “Al” Huang (Chinese: 黃忠良) is a notable philosopher, dancer, performing artist, and internationally acclaimed taijiquan master and educator, having received the Republic of China’s most prestigious award in the field of education, the Gold Medal Award, from its Ministry of Education.

(Source: Wikipedia)
More about Chungliang Al Huang...

“Real success or victory is measured by the quality of that very process of attention and mindful involvement, practice, and commitment.” 1 likes