Start by marking “Mercenary” as Want to Read:
Mercenary

Mercenary

It's LIVE!!!

LIV

I’ve always been a healer, a saver of lives, until the day my life is taken from me. A drunk driver destroyed my life and got away with a slap on the wrist.

Where children used to be happy to see me, they now run from me.

I want him to pay, to suffer just like I’m suffering. I want him dead.

I used to be scared of my neighbor. But since the switch in me is fl
Published April 12th 2017

Start your review of Mercenary
❥ KAT ❥ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

When I started this I was hooked, it flowed freely, I connected with the storyline and the characters as I moved through the book the only thing I wished for more was more background data on Mason, his character really intrigued me so I kind of wished the story delved more into his history. But overall this as per usual by this author was a great hot little number.

MERCENARY: Beautiful, vibrant happy go lucky Olivia who's living her dream job working as a Paediatric nu
☽Ari
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
2 stars

The one thing that was going through my head while reading this book was "should've checked should've checked should've checked the goddamn fucking blurb before I went ahead and ordered the ARC!"

I'm so fucking lazy, that I never even read the "over the top insta-love" warning at the end of the blurb, and for that I cannot even blame the author. In her defense she did mention it.

So it is just what it says, "over the top insta love", and we all know how much I fucking hate any kind of insta
Olga therebelreader
This one was hard to rate. Besides a romance, there was a little suspense in the story. I was surprised by how much story the author was able to tell in so few pages, and even though I liked it overall and loved the idea behind it, there were things that I didn't like, too. There was unrealistic insta-love between Liv and Mason and the character development was quite weak. There were more than a few steamy sex scenes and there was angst that got my attention, but at the same time, it was a littl ...more
Eve (Between The Bookends)
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing

description

descriptionCOVER REVEAL COMING APRIL 7TH. I'll save my thoughts until then.description

descriptionWhat can I say about this one? I simply loved it. It was a super short novella. It was pretty much insta-lust. It was well written and nicely paced. It had two enjoyable main characters. It had some hot sex scenes. All wrapped up with two epilogues.

description

ALMOST perfect. Due to its short nature, you don't get a ton of character development. I would have liked to read more background on both Liv and Mason (especially.) I also would have l
Janie
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recs-from-eve
Loved both MCs and the storyline. I just wish it had been a full length novel.
Susani
Neringa Neringiukas
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Honesty, it's not what I was expecting. It doesn't mean, that this story is anything less or not worth your time. It just.... Well, you see, I was a little disappointed in Olivia. There was this one moment, when she finds out, what Mason is doing at nights. I could understand Olivia's shock. What I was unhappy about, was her thoughts. You see, I have a thing for twisted characters, and if it's a female it's even better. But Olivia wasn't. That could be okay with me, if she just accepted Mason as ...more
Island Queen Reads
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
***ARC READ***

Wow. This novella is short, sweet and so damn sexy. I didn't know what to expect but the title had me wondering and gave me a little clue. But it's so different from what I expected. It's a tad bit darker and a whole lot more intense. It's not the kind of thing I can explain, it's something you need to experience for yourself. It'll consume you, just like it did me. I couldn't put it down and I finished it in one sitting. It's angsty as hell, but the love & the fall is amazing. It'
1-Click Addict Support Group
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dark and intriguing…

I love a story that takes the ‘norms’ (whatever those really are) and twists them about. The fallout is usually spectacular and, if nothing else, makes for a riveting read. In this case, it all happens!

Liv and Mason are definitely on different life tracks. One saves lives while another takes it away. What happens though when the tables are turned? A life-changing event influences both in ways neither could ever have predicted…

“Mason is not the monster I once thought he wa
Melanie (mells_view)
 photo 0AD3EDB3-E881-4991-8AA5-B951A303BB8B_zpswbndymkq.png
I've read a couple of other books by Michelle Horst, and I know for sure that she can write a full length novel that will keep you on the edge of your seat. After reading Mercenary I can safely say that she can pack all that same awesomeness into a novella.

Olivia is a nurse who works with sick children. She lives in an apartment complex, and has a dark and mysterious neighbor named Mason who she avoids like the plague. I mean, he's kind of scary.

That is until tragedy strikes, and so much cha
Dri ✰
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
2,5 stars
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing

***** 4.5 Cranky Stars *****

This is one quickie you won't be disappointed with. This book gives you such hope and love.

Olivia was a happy go lucky woman who worked with kids. They were her shining light. One day life changes forever.

Mason was a man living in the shadows. He seeks vengeance to help others who no longer have a voice. One day his life changes.

These two have always lived next door to each other yet never truly seen each other. They become unlikely allies and well the rest is histo
Lynsey Austin-Goddard ❤

A new short novella by Michelle Horst, I read in an hour, but I personally felt Mercenary could have been a a little bit longer in length. I think the jump to 6 months quite near the beginning could have been drawn out, with more explanation. Michelle writes amazing dark books, and given the main male characters profession, this could have been explored more.

It's a good book, not a dark read, but it's not hearts and flowers either.

Image may contain: text
Sheena
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was such an awesome, unputdownable novella....Michelle Horst really knows how to write about damaged and dysfunctional men and women who together metamorphose into something stronger and more beautiful..... .I fell head over heels in love with Mason Crowe who, despite his truly dark side, was capable of being so protective and gentle....

They say great things come in small packages and this book proved the point.....the main characters recounted the story and I found myself both absorbed in
Celestine
DNF at 46%. Short novella with such a simplistic, immature writing style that I couldn't keep going. ...more
 Leo (Queen of the Rants and Spoilers)
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Leo (Queen of the Rants and Spoilers) by: Miranda
Thanks Miranda for the rec. <3
Jan
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 " You Matter"Stars

I love Michelle Horst Books, I'm always eagerly awaiting her next release and once again Michelle has delivered another book I couldn't put down.

Mercenary is different from previous books by Michelle, it's quick,hot but still has an alpha hero who has an element of dark mystery.

I love the undertones of a message that run through Michelle Horst's Books like a river until the final waterfall where it all comes together.

Life is a dance between fate and death. In the end, fate
Kay (❦ ᴗ ❦ ✿) BooksandMe

Rating:

You only have to say Mercenary, Assassin, Hitman, Killer or anything along that profession as long as it involves killing and you get my full and undivided attention.

It's why this book has gotten my attention in the first place.

But, this fell short in my expectations. I couldn't get a lot of things and some just left a meh feeling for me.

Mason was supposed to be a Mercenary. And I thought he would really be, but he's just a vigilante with a hero complex. He said that working in social ser

Honey~psychopaths&stalkers
This is really short with LOTS OF jumping over the years. Still, hold a special place in my heart. Would love a longer story tho! Hero is not that scary and instead of him, the heroine received the scar and afraid of showing herself in public.
Marah
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An ARC of Mercenary by Michelle Horst was given to me by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Olivia is a young woman who is a nurse and who loves what she does. Her specialty is helping children who are sick. Her heart breaks at their struggles and she tries to make them comfort and happy to the best of her ability. She feels a calling when it comes to the one's she helps. She feels a sense of peace whenever she's at home or at the hospital, but feels sheer terror around Mason, who lives
Astha Bhardwaj
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dark-romance
Well its a very nice book if you are looking for something different to read .Its a book one can read in one breath ,it will finish and u wont even know it has finished.

Olivia is a Beautiful, vibrant happy go lucky who's living her dream job working as a Paediatric nurse, who meets a deadly accident hopefully survives the accident but got a facial damage because of which she is not able to continue her job with children as they are scared of her.
well it is little different story as the girl is
ConfessionsofaRomanceJunkie
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my first novella by Michelle and she doesn't disappoint. Have you got an hour or so spare?? As this is a perfect insta-love novella with a little sexy to hit just the right spot. Short enough to grab your interest, long enough for a little character development. It's not a dark romance as we typically expect from Michelle but there's dark aspects which I love.

Would I have liked more...always BUT that's just the same as with Michelle's full length books so it's definitely not a negative.
Dina
Apr 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
3 good story stars!!

Now, this was really hard for me to rate.. cause here are the things about this one..

1- It was a good great story, but for me, it didn't read smoothly in different parts (even though it's a short story).
2- It had a really good beautiful message to relay, though I felt like it could have used a bit more finesse.
3- I loved the main characters. Truly! I loved them both. Separately. In other words, I didn't feel their connection to each other, even though the Hero radiated with i
KELLY (THE QUEEN OF RAMBLING)
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I just didn't get it, there were too many gaps, I enjoyed his darkness but I think it would've read better if it was more in depth, we got that with her character, but with him being on the cover I would've thought the story would'v been centred more so around him then her. Overall a good solid 4 star read for me. ...more
Bookgasms Book Blog
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ratula
Michelle Horst's books are like crack to me. I can't get enough. She won me over with Monster and I haven't looked back since. Her writing is fast-paced and engrossing and her novels are filled with Alpha hero hotness and sexy and sassy heroines who give as good as they get. Mercenary was no different. I absolutely loved Mason and Olivia, their chemistry and connection.

Mason Crowe and Olivia Nicols are neighbors and opposites at first glance. He is a mercenary who targets and kills the people w
Lady Living  In Bookland
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mercenary is a short standalone novella around Olivia, a paediatric nurse who works with terminally ill children. Her work life just highlights what an incredible person she really is. The mystery surrounded by her neighbour however, is where the story starts to spiral.

Excerpt:
There's something terrifying about him. Maybe it's the dead look in his eyes. I heard that a person who has nothing to live for has nothing to lose and that makes them dangerous.

Mason Crowe truly is an enigma but he turn
 Sonya ♕Chatterbooks book blog♕
⭐⭐⭐3.5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐

What happens when the one person you thought was a monster, turns out to be your saving grace? Michelle Horst delivers a fast paced, quick and sexy read that will have you wishing for more.

Olivia is living the dream. She has her own place, and a wonderful job of being a pediatric nurse to some special kids. Nothing makes her more happy than knowing that she can put a smile on her patients face in their time of need. Her next door neighbor on the other hand, NEVER has a smile on
Susan
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I give Mercenary 5 stars. I was drawn to the characters and their ghosts. I felt heartbroken for Livvie when she lost the most important part of her life through no fault of her own. I also could relate to how Mason felt, having to watch others suffer and not be able to stop it. And the sex scenes, hot!

Michelle Horst is a very good author. Her writing grabs you and pulls you in. She describes the scenes very well, making you feel like you are right there, and her story was very interesting.

Maso
Flavs is Mrs David Gandy♥~♥’
I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book

This book was just Amazing. This book was a short novella, but it packed a punch.

Olivia was a nurse who worked with kids in the cancer ward. And she was the light of the whole ward, the kids loved her and she was just a breath of fresh air.
But Olivia's light was taken away when she was knocked over by a drunk driver. She lost her job and became a recluse.
But then her help and savior comes in the form of the most unlikely person. Her neighbor who she w
K.A. Graham
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mercenary by Michelle Horst

☆☆☆5 stars☆☆☆

Mason and Olivia are neighbors that pass in the night, being complete opposites to the public eye, but may have more in common then they could ever imagine. When tragedy strikes Olivia, and her world comes crashing down around her, she finds out quickly what kind of man Mason really is.

Mason has a dark and mysterious aura about him, which draws Olivia in when she becomes a shell of the woman she once was. He becomes her light, the saving grace she never t
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Bargain Basement: $25 Amazon Gift Card 1 3 Apr 17, 2017 03:37PM

• Damaged Locke  (Locke Brothers, #1)
  • Mr. Billionaire (Mr. Series, #3)
  • Forging Forever
  • Poppy (A Force of Nature Fairytale #1)
  • Ripple Effect:  Episode 1 (Ripple Effect, #1)
  • Nate (Dark Protector #2)
  • Stealing Amy (Disciples, #2)
  • The Bad Guy
  • Vigilante
  • Father
  • Lily (A Force of Nature Fairytale #2)
  • Kingpin (Breeding, #4)
  • Sick Fux
  • Fractured Love (Off-Limits Romance, #3)
  • Damaged Goods (Redemption, #1)
  • Mine (A Real Man #13)
  • Savage: The Awakening of Lizzie Danton
  • Ripple Effect:  Episode 3 (Ripple Effect, #3)
Please find me under my new profile Michelle Heard.

This profile is no longer being used.

Michelle Heard is a Bestselling Romance Author who loves creating stories her readers can get lost in. She loves an alpha hero who is not afraid to fight for his woman.

Want to be up to date with what’s happening in Michelle’s world? Sign up to receive the latest news on her alpha hero releases, sales, and great