Start by marking “Lovable Lyle” as Want to Read:
Lovable Lyle

Lovable Lyle (Lyle the Crocodile)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  330 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Published June 1st 1969 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Lovable Lyle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lovable Lyle

Pamela
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This past week I was blessed with a visit from my son and his family. All the way from Wyoming to San Diego. Such a delightful time: beach days, picnics, rollercoaster rides, tide pools, movies on base, photo adventures, and laughs galore. And of course, a trip to the library, where Grammy volunteers, to check out books for the Grands. One of which was Lovable Lyle

I read this endearing book as a child, and then to my dear children when they were young. And now I've read it to my son's precious c
Kaethe
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lovable Lyle - Bernard Waber   Lyle is lovable, don't try to resist him. Everyone wants her own Lyle.
***
Still true.
But also? In a climate where hate speech and hate crimes are increasing, the book feels way darker than it did before. Poor Lyle, doing everything he can to keep people from fearing him, and none of it does any good to sway people who refuse to believe that an upright-walking, talking, socially responsible crocodile could be human. What's wrong with people?
Anna
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovable Lyle / Bernard Waber /
Genre: fiction
Format: picture book:
Plot summary: Lyle is distraught to learn he has an enemy and tries to be an even more lovable crocodile than he was before.
Considerations: discussion on bullying
Selection source: Scholastic
Age recommendation: 2-8
Jen
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
This is cute, especially for city-dwelling kids, but I suspected when reading it that people probably wouldn't like how mean the note-writer was, and some of the other reviews show that that is indeed the case. I liked it, though. And the version I read is older than me!
Kristina Jean Lareau
An older title with a classic character about acceptance. Still incredibly relevant.
Catherine
My first graders always love to hear stories about Lyle. This book deals well with bullying and envy in ways that young children can understand, without being preachy.
Judy
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: primary school aged kids
Fabulous! So well done. In such a simple way, the words evoke the torment of the poison pen, and also the unpleasantness of the voice of neighbourly disapproval.

Lifeguard! Lifeguard! Do you permit crocodiles to bathe here?
Certainly not.
Well, it might interest you to know, there is a crocodile bathing out there, this very minute.

(boo! hiss!)

The illos are delightful. I recognise contemporaries in the style of this series... 1960s William Steig and John Burningham. So sure and straightforward, wit
Jordan Gissing
Everyone loves Lyle. And Lyle loves the whole, wide, wonderful world and thinks the world loves him. Until one day he receives a mysterious note that says “I hate you, I hate you more then anything.” Why Lyle is disliked and how he convinces everyone that all crocodiles aren’t bad is the dilemma in this book. The illustrations throughout the book are fun and colorful in order to keep the reader engaged. As a teaching idea, ask the students if they have a her in their personal life and if so why ...more
Connie
Sep 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Lyle is just so lovable.

Unfortunately... not everybody thinks so. Some people are irrationally prejudiced against the idea of living with a crocodile, imagine! He's been getting hate mail. (Oh dear.)

Luckily, his charm and heroism save the day (again) and he wins over everybody.

This one is a bit wordy - save it for the older end of the 4-8 crowd.
Bill Sannwald
Feb 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is basically a thinly-disguised look at racism, and it can be used as a good springboard for discussion with younger children about acceptance and tolerance. Just because Lyle is an alligator, it doesn't mean you should hate him, little girl, even if your dad is some type of allig-racist!
Dianna
Aug 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lyle gets anonymous hate mail that turns out to be from a little girl who feels he's stolen her friends. But of course everything turns out all right in the end.

This was a good story, but maybe a bit mature for my four-year-old, who doesn't yet know the meaning of enemy or hate.
Maria
This book has the best character names. The two leads are name Lyle and Clover Sue Hipple. I also like the artwork in this book; very graphic. I think it would make great T-shirt artwork. Story's OK but not good enough to entice me to keep the book.
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, a-own
I loved Lyle growing up, although the sequel isn't quite as good as "The House on East 88th Street". I got the feeling while rereading this one that this story may not teach the best lesson, but I would still want to read it to my children.
Anders Jensen
this wasn't a great book for my son who is just shy of three. I didn't like the use of the words "I hate you" and the story was a bit over his head. Lyle is seen often trying to please people to win back favor….the story was just too much.
Edward Creter
Lyle is wonderful! He can even reach the heart of a hateful child! I wish we had Lyle in this day and age! What a world we would have!
Angela Nelson
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ed-310
I thought this book has a very great message bout not judging people before you get to know them. I really like the simply colored illustrations.
Ameryn
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ameryn by: From the Carlsbad library
Shelves: kids
Good message and the illustrations are so stylish. I'd like to read this again to Lucas when he's older.
Rachel Ferraro
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-selection
This book was a good book. I really liked it. It was about how you can you be friends with anyone no matter what is wrong with them. It also shows that you should not have any enemies.
Chrissy
Mar 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Would be good for teaching about the dangers of prejudice or judging a book by its cover.
Mohammad
Dec 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My son did not like this book the first time I read to him when he was three. But now that he is almost five, he really enjoys this one!
Laura |
Mar 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Very cute, but long enough that my 5yo got tired of it and wanted to read something else.
Stacy
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Jinger
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite childhood book
Michelle Albrecht
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Older book about acceptance. Loved that the notes that were mean were more true to what a child acting hateful would write instead of a fluffy feel good version.
Jennifer Wilson
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great for third graders. creative .
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Lyle. He is polite and charming. Some people are prejudging him because he is a crocodile. In the end, those that just thought he wasn't good because of who his realize they were very wrong.
Jessica
  • The Worst Princess
  • On Top of Spaghetti
  • George and Martha Rise and Shine
  • So Much
  • Miss Suzy (Miss Suzy, #1)
  • Archie
  • Franklin's Class Trip
  • The Cow Who Fell in the Canal
  • Harry by the Sea
  • The Ant and the Elephant
  • The Rescuers Down Under
  • Thomas and Percy and the Dragon (Thomas & Friends: Step into Reading)
  • A Bus Called Heaven
  • The Shrinking of Treehorn
Bernard Waber was the youngest in a creative family. At age 8, he ushered in a movie theater after school, so he often saw only the last ten minutes of a movie. He made a game of inventing beginnings and middles. When he returned from a tour of duty in World War II, he entered the Philadelphia College of Art. With a diploma and a new wife, he traveled to New York City, where he began working for t ...more
More about Bernard Waber...

Lyle the Crocodile (10 books)
  • The House on East 88th Street