Start by marking “Don't Shoot!: Chase R.'s Top Ten Reasons NOT to Move to the Country” as Want to Read:
Don't Shoot!: Chase R.'s Top Ten Reasons NOT to Move to the Country

Don't Shoot!: Chase R.'s Top Ten Reasons NOT to Move to the Country

3.02  ·  Rating details ·  62 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
"When his family moves to a rural area, Chase fights culture shock. . . . Animal rights activists and urban transplants will connect." — BOOKLIST

Fourteen-year-old Chase Riley has just moved with his parents from Columbus, Ohio, to a farmhouse in the country, but it may as well be on another planet. For starters, there’s a plague of cicadas, but that’s nothing compared to t
Published October 9th 2007 by Candlewick Press (first published April 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Shoot!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Shoot!

Peacegal
Aug 02, 2010 rated it liked it
For the YA set comes this quick-paced, surprisingly nuanced look at hunting and rural animal welfare issues. I wasn’t especially a fan of the “novel in e-mails” format of Don’t Shoot, but then again, I’m not an eighth grader.

The protagonist is a 14-year old named Chase, who has recently moved from urban Ohio to a rural part of the state. Early on, he notices his family’s values differ from his new neighbors’ in regards to animals. Not surprisingly, companion animals are among the first he notic
Graceann
Chaser is a teenage boy who is uprooted from his urban life and moved to the countryside right in the heart of cicada season. During a series of witty emails updating his friends back in the city and his sister away in college, Chaser details the culture shock of being miles away from anything he's used to, and suddenly being surrounded by people who earn their living from the land, either by raising corn or other crops, or who depend on hunting to supplement their food supply.

I don't know that
Katherine Anderson
I picked this one up because I quite like written-by-correspondence books, although this didn't turn out to be one of those. Only the title character's emails are shown, leaving the reader to fill in the gaps. It was ok, a quick read, although it was a bit "yay, everyone's a winner!".

One other point: read 8 years after its 2002 publication, the constant inclusion of elaborate emoticons in this book was more than a little annoying. Congratulations, you made an ASCII representation of a cicada. Th
Rachel Grover
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a cute, quick read. It is told through emails that Chase sends to his friends and sister, who is at college. The reader must infer quite a bit of the plot line through these emails. Would I have my library buy a class set of these novels? No, but I would recommend for the pseudo-reluctant reader because it's short, the main character is funny, and many boys will be able to relate to this main character and his issues when the family moves to the country from the city.
Shannon Burgess
May 24, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Good thing I bought this used on amazon. My original intention for this book was to see if it was good enough to use in English class to show alternate forms of writing. However, in addition to the protagonist being extremely corny, there definitely was not enough action to use this in class. I only suggest this if you live in a small town and think hunting and cicadas are riveting.
Megan Anderson
I liked the non-traditional format and I think my kidlings would get a kick out of it (though, some of the faces were difficult to parse). That being said, I feel like this novel tried to do too much--the moving subplot along with the hunting subplot and the poverty subplot all seemed very rushed and not fully explored. Still, I think it would be a good conversation starter.
Ariane
Jan 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, a-z-challenge
cute story about a boy who moves to the countryside and is terrorized by cicadas and the shooting of dear.
was a good, easy, very fast read with a different plot but nothing spectacular.
i liked the fact that it was written in emails but i really got the impression that Chase sometimes tried to hard..
learned a lot of new smileys though. :)
<:3 )-------
Stephanie A.
It amused me because it actually reminded me more than once of my friend's experiences moving from the suburbs to the country. And yep, emoticons, email, and elaborate ASCII images were all the rage at the time.
Chris
May 08, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh...
I agree with the previous posters who used phrases like "corny" and "trying too hard" to describe this book. I usually like books written in correspondence form, but I found it very annoying that we only get to see Chase's e-mails and not the responses.
MJ
Dec 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fiction
Fiction—Quite good
Did his parents ask 14 year old Chase if he wanted to move to the boonies? No, they did not. Read Chase’s emails to his friends back in Columbus and his sister away at college.
Nic Braico
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is funny. It's in email form, too. This book also reveals what it's like to move from the big city (Columbus,OH in this case) to the countryside.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
The beginning of this story is rather boring, but eventually it gets interesting as the main character comes increasingly at odds with his neighbors over the issue of hunting.
Apollos.Dark.Eden_
IT SUCKZ!:(
Karla
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it was just okay.
Caroline
I liked that it was written in emails, except only the emails of the protagonist were shown, which was annoying. Not a bad book, I suppose, but it seemed a bit dated.
Nichola
Jun 14, 2017
Callena W. 6
Feb 06, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Rosen's Website should provide all this and more. It's http://www.fidosopher.com.
Nonetheless: Michael J. Rosen is an American author and illustrator with over 120 books of fiction, nonfiction, humor, picture books, poetry, and more. With a strong interest in nature and animals, reflecting his animal behavior degree from Ohio State University, Rosen resides within a peaceful crease of Central Ohio
More about Michael J. Rosen