Start by marking “Kate's Innocence (Kate's Case Files #1)” as Want to Read:
Kate's Innocence (Kate's Case Files #1)

Kate's Innocence

(Kate's Case Files #1)

What would you do if you were accused of a crime you didn’t commit?

Kate watched as her campus was torn apart by bombs and now is being accused of perpetrating the crime. As the evidence quickly stacks up against her, she begins to lose hope that the truth will come to light. Even though the handsome FBI Agent, Patrick, has taken up her cause, will they be able to prove her
Published November 16th 2015 by Sarah Holman

To ask other readers questions about Kate's Innocence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kate's Innocence

Kate Willis
2018 Re-read
I had forgotten how much I love this book! It was so enjoyable to read (in paperback this time!), and I especially loved pinpointing the clues that lead up to the reveal since I knew the solution this time. Brilliantly done! Now I want to re-read the next book. :D

Original Review
This book literally started off with a bang. I galloped through the pages, enjoying every moment and racking my brains along with the characters about just whodunnit. I kept thinking I had everything figured o
Sarah Grace Grzy
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 14+ for mild violence and non-graphic death
Wow! This was actually way better than I expected!

The characters were all great; Kate was very realistic. Some would say she's too cynical and snarky, but it really fit her character and struggles. Patrick was very sweet, and his story arc was pretty good, but lacking at times, I found. I loved all of the FBI team! They were each so unique and great, and not at all cliche! There's Thomas, the cynical, cranky, sarcastic leader; Patrick, appropriately nicknamed "Saint Patty"; Brian, the peacemaker
Faith

Well, that was epic. xD I'm totally shipping Kate and Patrick, btw. Their ship name shall be Katrick.
Oct 06, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
There is no book that I have felt the characters were so well rounded, and yet no book has given me more trouble. This book has produced so many smiles, and frustrations. It is only the beginning of a series I think will not only be a lot of fun, but will also be one of the best for showing the growth of the characters in their faith.
Faith
Introduction:

When I first heard about this book, I wasn't sure what to think. Then I started reading it, just a little bit before bed. Over two hours later, I finished the book. Now I want the next book in the series. :D

Characters: 1/1

I thought the characters were all well-rounded. I would have liked maybe a little more backstory about Kate, but am hoping that will come forward in the next books.

Dialogue: 1/1

The Christianity, wit, and sarcasm of each character was well done. I loved how Scott ke
Bekah
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well, I must say that this book definitely did not disappoint. I was hooked from the very first chapter. Sarah Holman did an excellent job with this story.

What I Liked: From the first, I wasn't quite sure how much I was going to like the main character, Kate. But as the story moved forward, I found myself really liking her and was feeling for her through all of the circumstances that she went through. By the end of the book, I wanted more of Kate...and Patrick, Brian, Logan, Kim, and even Thomas
Erika Mathews
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story was intriguing. The characters were well-defined. The plot was riveting. All in all, I enjoyed this book much more than I expected to.

There were a few continuity issues, and a few pieces of the puzzle I felt weren't fully explained, or weren't justified well enough. It seemed to me several times that things were being pinned on Kate just because she was convenient, not because there was reasonably convincing evidence. Had other people been scrutinized as thoroughly as she was, it woul
Deborah O'Carroll
(Review also posted on The Road of a Writer: https://deborahocarroll.wordpress.com...)

I had been meaning to read this book for awhile, and was planning on getting to it soon... when the author asked if I'd like to be a reviewer for the audiobook version from Audible.com. I had never reviewed an audiobook before, or used Audible, but it sounded like fun, so I thought why not jump on this? I'm very glad I did!

The Story

I don't read a lot of contemporary, mystery sort of stories, and agent-y stories
Tarissa
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kate's Innocence is the first book in the brand new series from Sarah Holman, the Kate's Case Files series.

In this book, we find a young woman, Kate Mayfield, in an increasingly tough situation. Her college is bombed. Explosions rock the campus on the night that her life turns on her. Once the FBI intervene, the detective work gets going, and the fingers point towards Kate.

Life after high school in a military family meant going through a tour-of-duty in Africa and the Middle East for Kate. Now s
Amanda Tero
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
A brilliant college student who claims her project was to disarm bombs is now prime suspect for her college's bombing. Kate Mayfield finds herself in a sticky situation as she strives to prove her innocence with the FBI team who is investigating her. As evidence stacks up against her, can she prove her innocence? Will anyone believe in her?

Kate was a very unique MC--one that I honestly wasn't sure that I would like: A military kid turned soldier herself then brilliant college student and primary
Rebekah Morris
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Since I also love "Sue Thomas F.B.Eye" this was a delightful book to read. Even if I did have the right suspect picked from the beginning, all the twists and turns kept me reading until the end. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.
Raechel
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
This was a very intriguing FBI read to be sure! I enjoyed it. I try to stay open to various genres, but I don’t deny that I am usually not interested in contemporary fiction; however, “Kate’s Innocence” proved to be very exciting, and didn’t feel like it dragged at all, which is what I often find in some contemporary fiction pieces.

This book was exciting, and you were guessing as to ‘who dunnit’. And you were of course rooting for Kate. :) At first, I wasn’t sure what I’d think of main character
Lilian
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: gifts
3.5 stars. I totally would've given it 4.5 stars, but all the typos really bothered me, so that's why I took off a star. If you don't mind a lot of typos, I would strongly recommend this book as a fun and light read!
Olivia
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this. Of everything I read by this author, this would be my favorite. The length was just perfect, the writing style wasn't difficult to read, and the story was intriguing.

There were several interesting events that went on in this story. I can't say they shocked me to death nor I was surprised by the culprit in the end, but all in all I loved it. The FBI crew members were great. Logan is my favorite. Her little quirk of bouncing a ball added a neat effect.

Kate had much
Bethany
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ages 13 and up.
This was a very interesting and exciting book. I really liked the characters, all of them are so different and real, and I found Logan highly entertaining with her tireless bounciness and ever-present ball! Kate and Patrick were both very real and likable too, in different ways.

The only thing that bothered me about this book was that Kate had served a period in the Army, as that isn’t a fit calling for a girl claiming to be a Christian, even though she had been brought up in a military family.
Rebekah Jones
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this short, but fun FBI mystery by Sarah Holman. I love stories, where law enforcement are shown to be smart and capable, instead of idiotic buffoons, and that was the case with this story. The characters were likable and relatable, and the story was engaging. My favorite part was probably how frequently Patrick would quote Scripture in times of need. I love that!

I'm looking forward to the next book!
Kelsey Bryant
The book is as intriguing as it sounds! I love a good mystery, and Kate’s Innocence really delivered—it kept me guessing until the very end, and I do mean the very end (as in the last page or two!). The ending was one of my favorite parts, actually, because of the brilliant manner in which it opened the way for more books.

But I’m getting ahead of myself (obviously, because I’m already talking about the ending!). What captured my attention even more than the mystery were the characters. The whol
Janell R.
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I started “Kate’s Innocence” with excitement, after having heard that the idea for it was sparked from the “Sue Thomas FBEye” show, and also getting a recommendation from my friend about it. I was not disappointed! It’s started off with just a “normal day in the life of a college girl”, but quickly escalated into a riveting crime investigation.

Each of the characters was well developed, and not at all humdrum or clichéd. I’m pretty sure Logan was my favorite (though it’s possible if I was around
A. Harrison
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, favorite
Genre: Fiction.

My Rating: 5 Stars.

Recommendation: Anyone over 13 because of slight violence.

My favorite character/s: Patrick Connor is a pretty stubborn guy; I like how he is determined to prove that Kate is innocent.

My Verse for Patrick is Psalm 21:13
Be thou exalted, Lord, in thine own strength: so will we sing and praise thy power. King James Version.

Kate is a hurting young woman and yet she is strong and I hope she keeps growing in her faith and walk with God as the series goes on.

My Verse fo
Rachel
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Once I picked up this book and began to read, I couldn't put it down! It may be the most action-packed story Sarah Holman has written since the Destiny of One series. So much excitement and mystery surrounds these fun new characters.

I'm not one to enjoy "cop" shows or books much, and I'm not into mysteries too much either, but I just loved this story. When Kate is accused of bombing her own campus, she fights to clear her name - along with a team of F.B.I agents! But these are no ordinary agent
Deborah
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: want-to-own
This is a wonderful book! I would of gave it 5 stars, but all the grammar errors and writing mistakes really got to me.

I thought that the plot and characters were well thought out, but the mystery and writing style could have used help. I was never "on the end of my seat", surprised or just wanted to shout out loud with all the excitement. The way it was written made it very laid back and calm. Even though a person was murdered and there was bombs and fights, it was still calm and not gory.

Bes
Esther
I can't remember the last time I read a book in 48 hours! Usually it takes me a week, but this book was just that good!

Ever since my brother started convincing me to watch tv shows with him, I've loved all things secret agents and the likes. However, Sarah craftily took out the political agendas and questionable content and replaced them with pure, raw faith.

I whole heartedly enjoyed this book and am looking forward to the rest of the series! Now if you'll excuse me, book two is waiting on my k
Angie Thompson
So, as soon as I finished the first chapter of Kate's Innocence, I knew I had made two major mistakes. One, I had let it linger on my owned-but-unread shelf for way too long. Two, I had started it in the five minutes remaining before I had to get up and ready for work.

This book sucked me in so hard from the very beginning, and it was so difficult to put down! The plot was one of those where you think you've put everything together and are just waiting for the characters to figure it out--and the
Claire Banschbach
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kate’s Innocence is a unique look into the world of the FBI. It follows a team of agents and their investigation into a campus bombing. One of the agents believes that Kate, the prime suspect, is innocent. Kate struggles to prove her innocence and make sense of the situation she’s been thrown into.

Kate was a wonderful character. She has a troubled past after a tour in the military. We don’t know what happened but I like that we don’t know everything about her yet and get to see her grow through
Esther Filbrun
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Kate’s Innocence is a fun, thoughtful, yet easy read that leaves you with an appreciation for the work of FBI agents. From what I could tell, all the facts about the FBI in this novel were fairly well researched—I don’t know much about the organization, but nothing went against what I do know.

Kate Mayfield suddenly finds herself a prime suspect when her college is bombed. Although she knows she didn’t do it, convincing the FBI—especially chief investigator Thomas—that she is who she says she is,

Liberty Baehr
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really like the characters in this book. My teenage daughter & I were reading it at about the same time - her on tablet & me on my phone (I tried to stay ahead of her just in case... which was difficult). I liked the fact that we could talk about what was happening & enjoyed hearing her interject when we told my husband the story. The 2 little almost romantic scenes (which were really comforting hug & quoting Bible verses) & team comradery reminded me a little of Sue Thomas ...more
Gabriellyn
Feb 26, 2016 rated it liked it
I struggled on deciding between 2-3 stars for this one. I decided on 3 because there were some intriguing parts to the mystery. However, I really did not like the characters much, especially Kate. She was very snarky and sarcastic and really just not a pleasant person. I was really unable to connect to her in any way. The end was anticlimactic and disappointing to me personally.

But here's my biggest problem. Sarah states that the show, Sue Thomas FBEye, had a great impression on her and this sto
Cheryl Ellis
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good read

This is an interesting book with a good story. The author did say she took liberties in regards to the FBI storyline. It did remind me of Sue Thomas FBI, which I loved that show!
Kate is being accused of bombing her school. She is innocent, but whoever the bomber was did a great job of setting her up and making it look like she did it.
Most of the FBI team that is investigating, doesn't believe her. One of the guys stands up and fights to figure out the real bomber, but at what cost?
Caitlyn Santi
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting, enjoyable read. I was absolutely fascinated by the story of a young woman who has been accused of a horrible crime helping a team of FBI agents to prove her innocence. I really enjoyed this story, it had a good pace and interesting characters though I have to admit that for awhile I felt that there were so many characters that it was a bit difficult for me to keep track of them all, I believe that the reason for that was simply because I was listening to the audioboo ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sarah Holman is a not so typical mid-twenties girl: A homeschool graduate and sister to six awesome siblings. If there is anything adventuresome about her life, it is because she serves a God with a destiny bigger than anything she could have imagined.

Kate's Case Files (4 books)
  • Kate's Capitol (Kate's Case Files #2)
  • Kate's Dilemma (Kate's Case Files #3)
  • Kate’s Conundrum (Kate's Case Files #4)