Start by marking “The Sacrament of the Present Moment” as Want to Read:
The Sacrament of the Present Moment

The Sacrament of the Present Moment

The Sacrament of the Present Moment is the three hundred-year-old classic of spiritual guidance and enlightenment by Jean-Pierre de Caussade, ordained member of the Society of Jesus. In this wise, hopeful, and powerfully stirring masterwork of Christian thought and daily practice, de Caussade encourages a selfless abandonment to God as a means of achieving grace and conque ...more
Published December 8th 2009 by HarperOne (first published 1861)

To ask other readers questions about The Sacrament of the Present Moment, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Carline Francois I love this book. It helps me to grow closer to the Lord without all the pressure. It makes life a little easier. Abandonment to Providence, is just a…moreI love this book. It helps me to grow closer to the Lord without all the pressure. It makes life a little easier. Abandonment to Providence, is just allowing yourself to be free. No attachments. A breath of fresh air and the one that gives you this freedom is Christ Jesus. (less)

Start your review of The Sacrament of the Present Moment
Ines
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A few months ago I have read this wonderful book, I wasn’t really comfortable with the idea of putting a review for such a particular book, but the joy and the disarming beauty of the words taken from this collection of letters have thrown me off course a lot.
If you want to read a thorough and complete review I recommend you go here
"https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
The aspect that leaves me unarmed is the recent research carried out by the French historian Jacques Gagey, who apparently di
booklady
Sep 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone serious about the spiritual life
There are some books which are almost too good to be able to describe. (Reading my friend Caterina’s excellent recent review of this book got me to read my own and made me aware of the need to update it!) She also introduced me to another, more complete edition of this book which I want to check out when I next have time to return to this book. As a novice Secular Carmelite, I hope we will be reading this in the years ahead.

One of the many beautiful things about this book is its simplicity. Anot
booklady
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Finished listening to this again. As my husband was walking through the room and caught snatches of the CD playing he commented, “Sounds like he’s talking about me.” Abandonment to Divine Providence has universal appeal, although different parts speak more at different times in our lives.

I’m especially challenged now—as always—to let go of my own ideas and plans, to remain in the present moment and to trustfully surrender all to His adorable Will, His loving Providence.

I will be due to read thi
Caterina
To avoid any anxieties which may be caused by either regret of the past or fear of the future, here in a few words is the rule to follow: the past must be left to God's measureless mercy, the future to his loving providence; and the present must be given wholly to his love through our fidelity to his grace. Amen.

I love this book. Read very slowly in tiny but intense “doses” suitable for morning meditation, like a restorative juice for the soul, it works quietly, opening the way to deep inner pea
Steven R. McEvoy
I have had interest in this book for a number of years now, but just never got around to reading it. In part because there are a few main editions all translated nearly 100 years ago, and so many different editions of it, some abridged and some not, some abridged and some not, some reformatted and updated and many not. So when a new edition became available, with an introduction by Matthew Kelly, I read it within days of it being available. This is the first book in a new series called Dynamic C ...more
Edvard Taylor
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This beautiful, extraordinary and timeless book by an 18th century author is one of the greatest mystical treatises of any time in any religion. It is to be most warmly recommended to all true and sincere students of mysticism. It radiates the warmth of St. Francis de Sales, touches in a uniquely loving and gentle way on the sufferings on the soul immersed in the dark night of the spirit, offers guidance on ways of contemplation and the attainment of true humility, which, as the author asserts, ...more
Cris
May 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: virtues
I like this skinny little book. It truly says nothing novel about the human struggle for holiness, but it is the authoritativeness of the author and his succinct summary that makes it worthwhile. Unlike many other spiritual writers, like T of Avila and J of the Cross, there is no 'process' towards holiness for Caussade. It is a simple proposition. 'Holiness', he says 'is measured in how obedient one is to the will of God'. For those who do Yoga or are attracted to eastern spirituality, here is t ...more
Kenneth
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic of western spiritual reading, this little book was compiled from the letters a French Jesuit priest wrote to the nuns of a convent in Nancy, France in the early 18th Century. Best to read it a bit at a time rather than straight through, since there is quite a bit of repetition due to how it was compiled. The edition I actually read was the Image Books edition published by Doubleday in 1975 (same translation, I think, as the one showing above, by John Beever). Caussade's major point is ...more
Jeff Miller
Mar 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A spiritual classic for a reason. Just read it.
Janet
Jan 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are proper seasons for reading special books. This particular book was recommended by a wise loved one dear to me and I am sure it will have more meaning for me as the seasons of my life change with the tide of time. For now, I take with me reinforcement of my faith that in every moment the hand of God is active in my life and that I must surrender to his will to live in Holiness. The image that I have is akin to that of childbirth. To give birth naturally there is nothing one must activel ...more
Thadeus
Oct 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
A lot of wisdom to ponder in this book. It would probably serve me better a little further down my spiritual journey.

Recommended for those well on the path.
Julie Stevens
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful and powerful read that explores the depth and virtue of a life of surrender to God. This book will be a powerful tool in your spiritual toolbox. Worth the read and reflection!
Irena
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread, catholic
read it, reread it and then repeat the process until time stops
Eric
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fiat! Very spiritually enriching book.
Kate Davis
Mar 29, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The kind of spirituality that seems lovely, and then you look one layer deeper and realize how oppressive it is to anyone who isn't the most privileged group in a culture. Language of submission and surrender, particularly, has been used to keep women from equal status -- this book could be a case study in how that happens through the best of intents.
TJ Jakubowski
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The title says it all. This exhortation is gentle but persistent.
Kristie
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“The divine activity permeates the whole universe , it pervades every creature; wherever they are it is there; it goes before them, with them, and it follows them; all they have to do is to let the waves bear them on.” (pg 8)

Book 1 and Book 2, Chapters 1-2 are so powerful and absolutely 5 stars. This little book is so memorable! Even when I left it for a little while to come back to it later, I couldn’t stop thinking about it.

It reminded me of Brother Lawrence’s Practice of the Presence of God
Margaret
An engaging book with a simplicity and yet digs deep into full surrender. At times this was a four star book for me and then it slipped back into three simply because the concepts seem to repeat and didn't go deeper. This quote was one of my favorites from the book:

With God, the more we seem to lose, the more we gain. The more he takes away what is natural, the more he gives of what is supernatural. He is loved at first for his gifts, but when these are no longer perceptible, he is at least lov
Joyce
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although written by a Jesuit priest, Abandonment to Divine Providence feels much more Carmelite, with a significant influence from St Francis de Sales too. (This makes sense, since he was writing to the Nuns of the Visitation, an Order founded by St Francis.)

The book, published posthumously, is comprised mostly of letters written by Fr de Caussade to various Sisters of the community in Nancy, France.

If I could sum up the (kind of repetitive) book in one word, it would be "Fiat."

It reminds me
Leroy Seat
I found this book fairly interesting and helpful until is started to be a collection of letters which the author had read through the years. For the most part I found the letters to be tedious, repetitious, and of limited value.

Because of the recommendation of a friend, I started to read this book, and because of my principle of finishing what I start I persevered to the end--although I read through the last half of the book rather rapidly.

If one is looking for good devotional literature, my rec
Frank
Apr 25, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book one doesn't read but just meditates on or actually prays the book. It is not one you try to get through and go on to another. I'm not sure how far I'm into the book but it has given a depth of Divine love and relationship with God I have found no where else. This is contemplation to the highest degree. I still have a long ways to go in this book but right now I would have to rate it 5++++ if I had to rate it.
Victor
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read for me during a difficult time. Caussade places a greater emphasis on faith related issues that truly matter, as opposed to stressing some ideas that seem to be more set in our specific time, as opposed to the universal Church throughout time. I felt like I had refreshed my understanding of God by reading this book. It is encouraging.
Ally
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ally by: Carina
Thanks to a fellow Goodreader (via her tumblr blog that i follow) I'm reading this for Lent. Just uploaded it to my Kindle. Excited to see what God has in mind for me to learn through Caussade's writing!
Kate
Jul 26, 2010 rated it liked it
The other title of this book was "Self-Abandonment to Divine Providence."

"It is a refutation of the quietist heresy and distinguishes true contemplation from its perversion . . . . The quietists held that passive meditation or mental prayer, to the exclusion of all else, is the short and easy way to union with God. Pere de Caussade emphatically insists that quietism is false mysticism" (Kitty Muggeridge, viii).

"In what sense can this experience be a divine sacrament?"
"How is Christ mediated to m
Kris
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book meant to be read slowly and pondered. Some, I fear, was difficult to understand and more difficult to practice but certainly a call to go deeper with one’s faith. “All is your’s Lord. I want what you want in all things.”
Becca Arend
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most impactful books of my spiritual life thus far. In fact, even though I picked up this book multiple times per week, it took me nine months to finish because I would read a paragraph or two and have to put the book down to process and pray. Highly, highly recommend.
Josh
Jul 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After having read many wonderful reviews, having seen this in many lists of Catholic reading plans, and receiving a free copy of the book from a friend, I decided the time had come to read this great Catholic classic: I was much disappointed.

The style is consistent with the writing of the 18th century and I found this very easy to cope with and, at times, very enjoyable reading. For those interested in a wonderfully translated English from the French - in terms of smooth reading, since I cannot
Sverre
This 250 year old compilation of Fr Jean-Pierre de Cassade's letters and notes deserves a great deal of respect for its author's depth of devotion to a doctrine predominated by living in an abandonment only to God's will. His writing carries the marks of mystical sainthood. Every sentence and paragraph compels the reader to analyze and reanalyze, to perceive an existence so ruled by God's will that it becomes devoid of even the smallest expression of self will. With complete trust and faith we a ...more
Aaron
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
Jean-Pierre De Caussade was a French priest who lived in the early 1700's. His book teaches us to totally abandoned ourselves to God's will and to live in the present moment. We are instructed to see God in our present joys and difficulties relying on his plan for our lives.

Caussade says "If we have abandoned ourselves to God, there is only one rule for us: the duty of the present moment." The past is the past and the future is yet to be. There is nothing we can do about either.

I found this bo
Andrew
As mystic works go that I've read, de Caussade is perhaps the most buried in the cloister. There is nothing particularly ill about SAtDP, save for a bit of sketchy theology, but I think this is far more intended for monks and nuns than regular folk in the 21st looking for spiritual wisdom. Athletic training is great for marathon runners but less useful for accountants; likewise, I think this book is more nourishing for those who live reclusive lives, but holds less for laity than John of the Cro ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Introduction to the Devout Life
  • 33 Days to Morning Glory
  • Searching for and Maintaining Peace: A Small Treatise on Peace of Heart
  • Interior Castle
  • Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux
  • Jesus of Nazareth: From the Baptism in the Jordan to the Transfiguration
  • The Secret Of The Rosary
  • 33 Days to Merciful Love: A Do-It-Yourself Retreat in Preparation for Divine Mercy Consecration
  • The Imitation of Christ
  • True Devotion to Mary
  • I Believe in Love: A Personal Retreat Based on the Teaching of St. Therese of Lisieux
  • He Leadeth Me
  • The Lamb's Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth
  • Time for God: A Guide to Mental Prayer
  • A Father Who Keeps His Promises: God's Covenant Love in Scripture
  • The Way of Trust and Love - A Retreat Guided By St. Therese of Lisieux
  • The Grace of Enough: Pursuing Less and Living More in a Throwaway Culture
  • Going to Pieces Without Falling Apart: A Buddhist Perspective on Wholeness
Jean Pierre de Caussade was a French Jesuit priest and writer known for his work Abandonment to Divine Providence (also translated as The Sacrament of the Present Moment) and his work with Nuns of the Visitation in Nancy, France.

News & Interviews

“There is not a moment in which God does not present Himself under the cover of some pain to be endured, of some consolation to be enjoyed, or of some duty to be performed. All that takes place within us, around us, or through us, contains and conceals His divine action.” 24 likes
“All simple souls must admire and respect one another, saying: 'Let us proceed each one along our path to the same goal, united in purpose and by means of God's order which, in its great variety, is in us all.” 17 likes