Start by marking “The Book of Five Rings: Miyamoto Musashi” as Want to Read:
The Book of Five Rings: Miyamoto Musashi

Read Book* *Different edition

The Book of Five Rings: Miyamoto Musashi

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  26,285 Ratings  ·  1,026 Reviews
Setting down his thoughts on swordplay, on winning, and on spirituality, legendary swordsman Miyamoto Musashi intended this modest work as a guide for his immediate disciples and future generations of samurai. He had little idea he was penning a masterpiece that would be eagerly devoured by people in all walks of life centuries after his death.

Along with The Art of War by

Published January 4th 2004 by iUniverse (first published May 12th 1645)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Five Rings, please sign up.

Jeff Stokes I am told it is, I read this edition and it felt accurate but I'm not an expert in this. I did research it some before reading it 20 years ago though.…moreI am told it is, I read this edition and it felt accurate but I'm not an expert in this. I did research it some before reading it 20 years ago though.
(less)

Adil
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read a translation by Ashikaga Yoshiharu and Rosemary Brant. This book puzzled me in that at first glance I seem to have learned nothing else from it than how to hold a sword and attack and enemy, and obvious things like never let your enemy have a chance to recover. I'm definitely missing something, either due to the translation or my inability to read between the lines. I guess I'm supposed to reflect on it and come back to it until I "get it" if there's any wisdom in here. The book is full ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
This is one of those books I've been "meaning to read" for years. There's a lot that could be said here, more than can be included in a "review".

How can one review a book that has stood the test of 5+ centuries? I think there is much of value here, I think there is much that can be learned and then misapplied by those not wise enough to understand application as well as process.

The book assumes that the one reading will have already spent much time in learning and study and plans to move on wit
Jokoloyo
I have different expectation when l looked at the cover book. There was a modern-day white collar person mimicking ancient Japanese samurai pose. So, I have expectation there was some modern interpretation in business management based on Miyamoto Musashi's teachings.

Then I found the book's content was basically translations of ancient text, without much interpretations into modern management style. That's why I rated it only 3 star. The philosophy value itself beyond my own judgment.
Florencia
I do not know how I got here. I did not even know I had this book. But I am glad I read it.
This book was written by Miyamoto Musashi, a Japanese swordsman that had his first duel when he was 13 years old. It is divided into five “rings” (earth, water, fire, wind, void) that describe strategies and principles of martial arts, with a touch of philosophy that kept me interested.

Among all the tactics that can be used, he shared his insightful thoughts on several matters. Martial arts are not just a
John Scott
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Original Bad Ass MoFo ... in a Zen kinda way.

Strategy
Tactics
Bad Assedness
Violence
Greg
I first read Miyamoto Musashi's The Book of Five Rings many years ago, while I was a Ph.D. candidate in California. I was intrigued by how his nine principles seemd to apply to life in general and leaders in particular, in addition to his intended audience of swordsmen. While it is not as in depth as Sun Tzu's The Art of War, he certainly added to my understanding.

His nine principles, from the translation I prefer, are as follows:

1. Do not think dishonestly
2. The Way is in training
3. Become acq
Robert
Aug 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
This book, written by a famous Japanese duelist, tells one of his relatives how to win with the sword. It is divided into five "Rings" based on five "Elements". He concentrates on Strategy and does not talk about the best guard to take or other technicalities. Many people find this book to be immoral as it espouses winning at all costs in a deadly pursuit. I regard it more as a-moral. Musashi simply never considers the question. He is simply putting down his concept of Strategy. Perhaps the mora ...more
Vik
Sep 02, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This book actually has two translations by Thomas Cleary of two books from Japanese martial artists. My thoughts on both and a short comparison are below.

The Book of Five Rings is a pretty good insight into a disciplined mind and professional samurai from 17th century Japan. A lot of it is practical advice and there is some spiritual Zen leaning in there too but I would not go as far to say it is required leadership reading material in the same way as The Art of War by Sun Tzu but no martial art
Ali Reda
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan
Swordsman Miyamoto Mausashi had written The Book of the Five Rings with a practical approach to swordsmanship, on how to use the sword, where to stand and use the sun or shadows. For him, the point of battle was not showmanship it was winning, That's why he never lost a duel.

THE GROUND BOOK

It is said the warrior's is the twofold Way of the pen and sword, and he should have a taste for both Ways.

The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death.

In short, the Way of my school is the spirit o
Vaishali
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ancient-cultures
Called the Go Rin No Sho, this treatise is eye-opening, though at times gruesome. One of the great joys of experiencing older texts is the sheer regality of the narration, so it's overall enjoyable. There are sections which are decidedly male and archaic ... like Musashi's insistence on overwhelming an enemy rather than befriending him. (Quite different from Funakoshi's precept of nonviolence in shotokan karate.)

I've included here some striking quotes, and some lists of Musashi's principles.

Quot
  • The Unfettered Mind: Writings of the Zen Master to the Sword Master
  • Hagakure: The Book of the Samurai
  • The Life-Giving Sword: Secret Teachings from the House of the Shogun
  • Karate-Do: My Way of Life
  • Secrets of the Samurai: The Martial Arts of Feudal Japan
  • Code of the Samurai: A Modern Translation of the Bushido Shoshinshu of Taira Shigesuke
  • The Demon's Sermon on the Martial Arts
  • The Art of Peace
  • The Bible of Karate Bubishi
  • Strategy
  • Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere: An Illustrated Introduction
  • The Sword and the Mind, The Classic Japanese Treatise on Swordsmanship and Tactics
Miyamoto Musashi (宮本 武蔵, c. 1584 – June 13, 1645), also known as Shinmen Takezō, Miyamoto Bennosuke or, by his Buddhist name, Niten Dōraku, was an expert Japanese swordsman and rōnin. Musashi, as he was often simply known, became renowned through stories of his excellent swordsmanship in numerous duels, even from a very young age. He was the founder of the Hyōhō Niten Ichi-ryū or Niten-ryū style o ...more
More about Miyamoto Musashi...
“there is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker, or smarter. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself.” 440 likes
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world” 344 likes