Start by marking “Yertle the Turtle and Gertrude McFuzz ( Collins Colour Cubs Mini Format )” as Want to Read:
Yertle the Turtle and Gertrude McFuzz  ( Collins Colour Cubs Mini Format )

Yertle the Turtle and Gertrude McFuzz ( Collins Colour Cubs Mini Format )

Published October 8th 1979 by Harper Collins (first published 1979)

Laia
Nov 03, 2015 Laia rated it it was amazing
Yurtle: perhaps my favorite Dr. Seuss (5 star for this one only, see further below for thoughts about Gertrude)

"Your Majesty, please...I don't like to complain,
But down here below, we are feeling great pain.
I know, up on top you are seeing great sights,
But down at the bottom we, too, should have rights."

.....

"That plain little turtle below in the stack,
That plain little turtle whose name was just Mack,
Decided he'd taken enough. And he had.
And that plain little turtle got a little bit mad
And
Lisa Yi
Yertle the Turtle is an awesome story! Great ties to history as well-Paul Revere seeking freedom from the British, and even a great way to talk about the Declaration of Independence and the meaning the words can have behind it. "That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institu ...more
Karen Dransfield
Jun 07, 2015 Karen Dransfield rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Gertrude McFuzz is an interesting story about wanting to look better than others and how sometimes it's best to just stay the same as you are. This would be good as a starter story to create some discussion in older kids about how we look and dress etc.
Read this in "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories." I'm reading or in this case rereading through two of the 100 best books lists. One from the Times and one from the Telegraph. Dr. Seuss time. I don't remember if I read this as a child or not, bu
Christine Levinge
Gertrude McFuzz is a great Dr. Seuss story about a bird that is unhappy with her tail feathers because she only has one. She finds a way, using magic, to increase her tail feathers. However, she gets greedy and takes more of the potion than she should have and grows more and more and more feathers, to the point where they weigh her down and she can't fly. Once she gets rid of all the excess feathers, she is happy to be back to normal. This story has a great message of being happy with what you h ...more
Austin Wright
Feb 03, 2015 Austin Wright rated it liked it
My friend Kevin is reading a list of best children's books. I am following suite in order to discuss the books with him. By default, I give the books four-stars because they're good at what they're intended to do, which is to keep the attention of children and introduce them to literature.

YERTLE can be rearranged into YETLER!!!!! WHICH SOUNDS LIKE HITLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHH FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKK!!!!!
Bookbuyer
Yertle the Turtle in this novel was a very selfish 'king'. He wanted to reign supreme over everything and he very quickly learned that it's the people at the bottom of the pile who can most affect the 'kings'. Not the king himself.

I did not feel bad for Yertle at all in this book. I only felt bad for the poor turtle who sneezed.
April
Mar 03, 2013 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, childrens
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Dr. Seuss is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading!
Dewi
Jan 03, 2015 Dewi rated it really liked it
Dr. Seuss membuat buku ini sebagai versi anak-anak untuk mengenal bahayanya ambisi seorang pemimpin. Ambisi untuk berkuasa tanpa memikirkan kesejahteraan. Tokoh Yertle mewakili sosok Hitler di dunia nyata.
Rosa Cline
Jan 19, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
These two stories by Dr Suess are great... as most of the books he's written. Both of these help teach a lesson at the end of reminding the children (and adults) that read this to enjoy what you have and not be jealous of what others have.
Karen
Aug 26, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
Poor Gertrude McFuzz. How plainly does Seuss illustrate the dangers of covetousness in this cautionary tale. And, yet, with so much humor and silliness, it is not only palatable, but delightful.
B
Jan 07, 2014 B rated it it was ok
It's Dr. Seuss! What more can you say? Inspirational, appropriate and fun for any age.
Lori
Jun 11, 2009 Lori rated it really liked it
Jealousy and Pride go before being "stuck"...enjoy being you!
Christine
Sep 11, 2008 Christine rated it really liked it
Wish I could find a version of these two stories separately - they were always my favorite Seuss books!
Kate
Jun 02, 2015 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: clean, cute, 2015, read-aloud
I read this book aloud to my friends. It was really amazing! xD We had a blast laughing at the pictures and my fabulous voices! lol
Mark
Aug 24, 2011 Mark rated it did not like it
boring
Cynthia Goerndt
Cynthia Goerndt rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2014
Darya Marina
Darya Marina rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
Isabella
Isabella rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Michelle Owens
Michelle Owens rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2011
Fiona
Fiona rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2012
Michaela
Michaela rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2014
Jamie Himes
Jamie Himes rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2013
Sophie Simpson
Sophie Simpson rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2015
Mel
Mel rated it really liked it
May 26, 2014
Viba
Viba rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Patty
Patty rated it really liked it
May 23, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2012
Ember Crile
Ember Crile rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2013
Cassandra Peden
Cassandra Peden rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2013
Itaiuukl
Itaiuukl rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2011
  • Listen to the Wind: The Story of Dr. Greg & Three Cups of Tea
  • Suki's Kimono
  • Little White Duck
  • Froggy Plays in the Band
  • Dr. Seuss Goes to War: The World War II Editorial Cartoons of Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • Lotsa de Casha
  • The Penny Pot: Math Start - 3
  • The Blind Men And The Elephant
  • Hazel's Amazing Mother
  • Hey! Get Off Our Train
  • The Happy Lion
  • McGuffey's First Eclectic Reader
  • That Pesky Rat
  • Dr. Seuss and Philosophy: Oh, the Thinks You Can Think!
More about Dr. Seuss...

“I know, up on top you are seeing great sights, but down here at the bottom we, too, should have rights.” 1100 likes